Starting On March 28th!

Angela82

Good first day, but I feel like I've gone back 60 years.... Cooking from scratch is a lot of work! Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I just made an avocado ranch dressing - using basic mayo recipe, plus avocado, lime, paprika, ancho pepper, cilantro, salt and water for thinning.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! 

I started my journey today and had some yummy lettuce wraps with Applegate chicken, avocados, and cucumbers! 

Feelings like a normal day so far. 

Question: Does anyone have any good recipes for dipping sauces? I'm going to make some chicken and I usually like to eat my chicken with ranch and siracha so I wasn't sure if there was some orher kind of sauce that is kinda like ranch? 

do you have the whole30 book? there's a really yummy ranch recipe in there. it's basically paleo mayo + some coconut milk and spices. paprika, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. my kids and husband devour it :). there's also a roasted red pepper sauce in the book that is incredible and the pesto is something i make almost once a week. 

hi there - My boyfriend and I started Whole30 on March 20th, but realized after 7 days that a few items we had had during the week were non compliant. So, after going thru the frig one more time and a closer examination of the labels, we are back on track for our 2nd start date of March 28!

We both feel great tho, and we know that this is an eating plan that can help us with so many physical and internal aches and pains.

I would strongly suggest you re-read the rules...re-read your labels again...and once again just to be safe.

We have not felt that our grocery bill has changed too much, we just buy fresh produce and meat and then make the best with what we have.  We watch for sales and stock up!
Not drinking coffee has helped our budget:-)

We are learning to cook many recipes with Cauliflower and Spaghetti squash - both of which we really like.

Just want to wish you all the best...

• Moderators

Hey everyone! 

I started my journey today and had some yummy lettuce wraps with Applegate chicken, avocados, and cucumbers! 

Feelings like a normal day so far. 

Question: Does anyone have any good recipes for dipping sauces? I'm going to make some chicken and I usually like to eat my chicken with ranch and siracha so I wasn't sure if there was some orher kind of sauce that is kinda like ranch? 

There are some Whole30 sriracha recipes, like this one (full disclosure -- not a sriracha lover, so I haven't actually tried this). 

Easiest way to make mayo, here. Other sauces here and here. Most of the sauces on the Well Fed site are compliant or easily modified to be.  

If there's a particular kind of sauce you want, google Whole30 + that sauce and you will probably find recipes.

My headache was worse yesterday than today, but my mind keeps thinking about sugar. I think I need to eat more tomorrow...I've been pretty hungry this afternoon but out of food at work... I am also drinking lots of water. Looking forward to sleeping tonight! I get such great restful sleep when I don't eat sugar.

I started yesterday (March 28th) as well. Day 1 went pretty well considering the cookies from Easter were sitting on the counter.  I am happy to report that they made it all day...still on the counter...tomorrow they will hit the trash....3 day rule, right?  

I started a week prior, trying to ween myself off the foods I will not be eating for 30 days (mainly to avoid headaches and withdrawals).

I made it through day 2 and I am really proud of myself.  Drinking lots of water and planning meals for day 3. I did not do all the prep and cooking Sunday. For me its not the way I want to spend my Sunday and I work from home so I have time to cook.

I have to admit that I am having some trouble with my coffee.  I normally used creamer (no sugar) and the almond milk is not working.  I may have to switch to green tea for my morning beverage.  I don't know if there is any other option,

So Day 2 done, just gotta prep for tomorrow. Anyone else feeling tired today? I don't think I have the "hangover" that was mentioned, but I am feeling a little sluggish. Meals have been super filling and I haven't really missed/craved much. I notice that I feel pretty hungry around 10:30-11 even though I'm pretty full after breakfast. Is it just me?

• Moderators

I have to admit that I am having some trouble with my coffee.  I normally used creamer (no sugar) and the almond milk is not working.  I may have to switch to green tea for my morning beverage.  I don't know if there is any other option,

Coconut milk might be better -- look for the ones in the cans (probably in the ethnic food aisle of your grocery -- they're what people use to make curries, for instance). It's easier to find them without questionable ingredients, plus they seem thicker to me than the carton ones.

Another thing that might help is to actually blend your coffee with some coconut milk and either coconut oil or ghee. The extra fat makes it feel a little more like there's cream in it. But you have to actually blend it, with your immersion blender or in a blender (be careful the lid doesn't pop with hot coffee building up steam in it). If you just stir it, you get an oil slick on top of your coffee, and that's not fun.

• Moderators

So Day 2 done, just gotta prep for tomorrow. Anyone else feeling tired today? I don't think I have the "hangover" that was mentioned, but I am feeling a little sluggish. Meals have been super filling and I haven't really missed/craved much. I notice that I feel pretty hungry around 10:30-11 even though I'm pretty full after breakfast. Is it just me?

How long is that after your breakfast? Your goal is to get 4-5 hours comfortably between meals, and if you start your day early enough that it's been that long since breakfast, it may just be time to have your next meal, or at least a mini-meal to get you through til your next meal.

If it's less than 4-5 hours, you may need to increase the size of your breakfast. Are you adding fat in addition to the fat you cook in? That might help.

If you want some feedback on if your meals are looking right, post in the Troubleshooting section of the forum a day or two worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, and exercise, and we can tell you if it looks right, or if you might need more of something or a different mix of foods.

Many people do report that if they have fruit at breakfast, they feel hungry faster afterward than if they don't have it, so if you are having fruit with yours, maybe try saving it for a later meal instead.

• Moderators

I made some homemade applesauce spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I had that with some frozen blueberries and slivered almonds as the dessert course with dinner and it was a great way to avoid my normal evening sweet-tooth.

Elka, making a 'dessert course' is discouraged. We want you to feed your body with the template meal. If you wanted some blueberries on your salad or something like that, that would be great. What you had is in no way going to help you overcome your sweet tooth. Feeding a sweet or dessert craving with a sweet of some sort is going to keep that craving alive and kicking.

Hi everyone! I'm starting round 2 tomorrow with all of you. I finished round 1 on the 16th of this month and started my 11 day vacation with my family on the 17th. Needless to say, I did not follow the proper reintroduction protocol. I felt amazing at the end of my W30 and while I allowed myself to "enjoy" my vacation with unrestricted food and alcohol enjoyment (still did not go as crazy as I would have pre-W30), I find myself ready to do another round!

My first W30 experience...yes, it was tough at times. Socializing was tough, especially when my friends are all booze hounds and late night junk foodies. Days 5-16 were ROUGH, but once I got to the other side of that, I just felt amazing. I wouldn't say I had "tiger blood" at any point, but I just felt great. In all, I lost 15 pounds and was able to get rid of some of my bigger work clothes and wear my old clothes again. I'm ready to tackle another round, possibly longer this time, as well as rev up my fitness training.

Good luck to everyone! It's definitely worth it.

Hi CarolineW26!
Congratulations on your outcome on the first Whole30 and good luck on the next! may I ask you, did you measured your portions on your first time? I am concerned of over eating...   :unsure:

I felt very tired yesterday (Day 2) but I woke up more energized this morning. I was also sluggish yesterday, but hoping that improves with each day.

I also have the trouble of feeling hungry mid-morning. I'm at work and when my day is boring I tend to want to eat my lunch early. I can usually barely make it to 4 hours after breakfast. I probably need to eat more fat for breakfast. I agree with not eating fruit for breakfast--that always makes the hunger worse.

Good start to my morning. Eggs, 1/2 avocado, 3 fresh strawberries, plus lemon water. Now I'm on my bike doing my workout. Yep, typical first day optimism...

Good luck!!!!

Palmira, you are missing veggies on your breakfast plate. I recommend you take a look at the meal template on this site.

Hi CarolineW26!

Congratulations on your outcome on the first Whole30 and good luck on the next! may I ask you, did you measured your portions on your first time? I am concerned of over eating...   :unsure:

That's a common thought when you are worried about your weight. However it is way more important that you end your meal so satiated that it'll last for at least 4 to 5 hours before you get hungry again. Check out the whole30 meal template and try to not be too hard on yourself.

I was traveling for work yesterday and was really worried about how to stay on plan. Had to leave the house before 6 a.m. and wasn't getting home until 10 p.m. Had to fly to another city for a meeting and then home the same day. None of the flights were direct - a total of 4 flights in one day. Travel time exceeding the actual work time, and I knew I wasn't going to get a chance to sit and have a proper meal all day long.

So, I prepped and brought with me a couple of hardboiled eggs, carrot and celery sticks, a mandarin orange, a handful of almonds and raisins, and a couple of Larabars. I grazed on these throughout the day. Had the eggs, carrots and celery on one flight; a Larabar as I was running through the airport to another flight. I was able to grab an airport salad with some grilled chicken when I arrived at my destination before I had to go to the meeting - used mustard for salad dressing because every other option was non-compliant. On the way back, had the nuts and almonds on one flight, the other Larabar while waiting between flights, the orange and remaining carrots & celery on the last leg. Drank water and black tea all day long.

I know that this does not fit the meal template and I will probably get some negative feedback about this from the advanced members. However, I am actually proud that I was able to stick with compliant foods all day long and avoid the pitfalls I usually face when travelling. For me, the most important thing was not letting myself get so hungry that I make bad decisions out of frustration and exhaustion.

I'm back on a normal schedule today and had a big breakfast with 2 eggs over veggie hash (broccoli, yellow squash, potato), sliced tomatoes, and chopped apple + coffee w/coconut milk. Planning a big salad w/tuna or eggs and avocado for lunch. Probably fish and lots of veggies for dinner.

How's everyone else doing today?

I was traveling for work yesterday and was really worried about how to stay on plan. Had to leave the house before 6 a.m. and wasn't getting home until 10 p.m. Had to fly to another city for a meeting and then home the same day. None of the flights were direct - a total of 4 flights in one day. Travel time exceeding the actual work time, and I knew I wasn't going to get a chance to sit and have a proper meal all day long.

So, I prepped and brought with me a couple of hardboiled eggs, carrot and celery sticks, a mandarin orange, a handful of almonds and raisins, and a couple of Larabars. I grazed on these throughout the day. Had the eggs, carrots and celery on one flight; a Larabar as I was running through the airport to another flight. I was able to grab an airport salad with some grilled chicken when I arrived at my destination before I had to go to the meeting - used mustard for salad dressing because every other option was non-compliant. On the way back, had the nuts and almonds on one flight, the other Larabar while waiting between flights, the orange and remaining carrots & celery on the last leg. Drank water and black tea all day long.

I know that this does not fit the meal template and I will probably get some negative feedback about this from the advanced members. However, I am actually proud that I was able to stick with compliant foods all day long and avoid the pitfalls I usually face when travelling. For me, the most important thing was not letting myself get so hungry that I make bad decisions out of frustration and exhaustion.

I'm back on a normal schedule today and had a big breakfast with 2 eggs over veggie hash (broccoli, yellow squash, potato), sliced tomatoes, and chopped apple + coffee w/coconut milk. Planning a big salad w/tuna or eggs and avocado for lunch. Probably fish and lots of veggies for dinner.

How's everyone else doing today?

I think that is excellent! Better to do it that way than to say "what the hell" and eat at Cinnabon. I admire this a lot and think this is a valuable skill to have for "life after Whole 30"--figuring out how to eat during travel. (Something I haven't mastered at all.)

I am doing OK on day 3. I am realizing now how much I think about sugary foods! Thinking about some type of sweets gives me an immediate high, and when I realize I'll not be eating it, I get a little bummed.

I think we are on the same timeline.  I'm on day 3 today.  I went on this in part to help my congestion/sinus issues.  I'm finding that I woke up today super congested though.  Is this happening to anybody else or is it just a coincidence?  Woke up today super headachey and fatigued, but I expected that part.  Glad I have found this thread!

The past 2 days I've had absolutely no energy and a raging headache. I woke up this morning and the headache was still there BUT I felt like I could function! I even made it to the gym today, though my workout was shorter and less intense than usual. I'm still struggling to find the right portions to keep me satiated for 4-5 hours (I get hungry at the 3 hour mark more often than not) but my hunger is no longer demanding and distracting like it used to be when I was dieting. Still a little weak and lethargic but hopefully it passes in a few days. 

Day 3... Starting to really feel my Sugar Dragon! first two days were relatively easy, but today was much tougher. I had to throw away my kids sweets today bc I couldn't look at them anymore.

I know I'm not really hungry, just bad habits!

Spending lots of time cooking and cleaning....Also, I need to add variety to the side dishes.

All said, I know this is good for me.

Today was crazy. I was so glad I had compliant leftovers in the fridge. I almost skipped the fat at breakfast but I forced myself to eat some olives with my roasted cauliflower and lamb sausage. I guess the busyness was good since it kept me distracted. Headache tonight. Thinking about kill all the things coming our way tomorrow.

I haven't figured out how to reply to people directly on my phone, but good job ElkaSimmy. I'm especially impressed with the mustard as salad dressing. That took discipline!

Hi CarolineW26!

Congratulations on your outcome on the first Whole30 and good luck on the next! may I ask you, did you measured your portions on your first time? I am concerned of over eating... :unsure:

Hi JuPumbo!

Thank you! To answer your question, I did not measure my portions during this process. In the beginning, I really tried to pay attention to my hunger cues while sticking to the template. I experimented with different portion sizes (2 eggs vs 3, etc) and really made sure I had a lot of veggies with every meal and the recommended fat. I found by the third week that I was able to listen to my body and just stop eating when I felt satisfied (that never happened before). I will also say that the majority of my weight was lost towards the end of the month as well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I think we are on the same timeline. I'm on day 3 today. I went on this in part to help my congestion/sinus issues. I'm finding that I woke up today super congested though. Is this happening to anybody else or is it just a coincidence? Woke up today super headachey and fatigued, but I expected that part. Glad I have found this thread!

Hi! My congestion and sinus issues were a huge reason for starting W30 the first time. I went through many ups and downs with my sinuses during most of the 30 days and took it all as part of the process. Some days I was able to breathe beautifully, other days was worse than before. I've definitely seen a huge improvement overall, but again, it took some time. Good luck!

Good morning! Kill everyone has set in. I nearly took my 6yo daughter's head off this morning because she didn't want to get dressed for school. She suddenly decided she has too much pink in her wardrobe, after refusing to wear any other color but pink for the last 2-3 years. So with all the morning drama, we ran pretty late and I was glad to have some hard boiled eggs on standby because there was no time to cook anything. Threw the eggs in a bowl with with some veggies, olives and leftover baked potato. Hopefully my mood improves once I settle in to the day, because my family is going to be very unhappy with me if this continues.

Thanks to everyone who liked and commented on my travel day experience. The positive feedback really helps!

How's everyone else doing?

Archived