When people ask I'm still eating mostly 30 post Whole 30

fundiculous

"ultra processed" sounds kinda cheesy, but I am glad to see a distinction for those kinds of foods vs. frozen vegetables like the article mentions.  I hate those anti-Whole30 straw men arguments when you try to give them a nice short elevator pitch about eating real foods and avoiding processed stuff and they do the "hurrr durrr where do you think that spinach comes from??? It gets processed by a musheeen........."

This food processing video just happened to post today on Slate, it's all apples, potatoes, carrots, etc. I usually don't think of my bag of carrots as "processed", but this video suggests otherwise. I realize it's gotta get from farm to me somehow, but this just shows me it's not really a "farm" and there's a lot that happens before it gets to my kitchen. 

As for ultra processed, it's totally cheesy! Sorry couldn't resist. 

velveeta-cheese-mexican-mild-16737.jpg

• 1 month later...
praxisproject, on 29 Mar 2016 - 5:58 PM, said:praxisproject, on 29 Mar 2016 - 5:58 PM, said:

Cheese that lives in a box scares me :o  :blink:

Sigh. Cheese that lives in a box is one of my husband's favorite kinds of cheeses. To be honest, I hadn't ever eaten McDonald's until the end of high school, hadn't tasted Pizza Hut until after I was married, and still haven't ever eaten Velveeta. I think I'll stick with the Whole 30.

Pretty much everything is processed (even cutting that apple into slices or the broccoli into florets is processing it) in one way or another. But I look at things in the supermarket with the idea of "is this a thing I could do at home that I'm just letting the store do for me?". Like buying pre-spiralized squash or a bag of frozen cauliflower florets. 

Yes, I could spiralize it myself, or cut the cauliflower myself. But I'm busy and right now, it is more effective for me to spend a little extra money to not have to spend the time to cut it myself. 

If it's something that I couldn't do at home without building a chemistry lab in the basement, then I take a closer look at what I'm buying and why. 

Archived