Is Whole30 really for me?

Hey everyone!

My name is Shelby--this is my second whole30!

Going into my second one, I am seeing a few of the same annoyances I experienced before and I'm not sure why. Most of my questions have to do with exercise and sleep.

My last whole30 was from Jan 2-Jan 31 2016. I didn't try to work out that much while doing it. After about 3 weeks, I went to the gym with a friend at 6 AM. We did the stepper for 15 minutes, and then used some machines for arms. At one point, I started to feel light headed like I was going to throw up. I never did, but I had that dizzy, light-headed, cold sweat (sorry if TMI) feeling for 5-10 mins. After that I decided not to work out until I ate grains again.

Also during my first whole30, I never slept the entire night. I feel like I woke up around 3 AM almost every morning.

When I was done my whole30, I didn't really stick to a strict reintroduction phase since I've never struggled with food allergies before--or at least, food never treated me badly. When I reintroduced everything I was finally sleeping better and could go to the gym without having that terrible feeling. I consistently go to the gym for an hour 3 times a week.

I decided to do my second whole30 starting this past Monday, March 21st. I'm on day 3 and I went to my normal TRX class this morning and noticed I felt more shakey, but thought it was way too early for my body to be reacting to whole30 changes that way. Long story short, I almost passed out in the locker room after the class. I also woke up this morning at 3:30 AM...I haven't done that since my last whole30. I try to go to bed around 9:30-10 PM since I typically have to wake up around 5:30 AM every morning for work/gym purposes.

If it helps---I'm 24 years old, 130 lbs and 5'5"

I want to stick with my whole30 this month but I really need to know if this is at all "normal." Honestly, it makes me feel a little worried since I never felt very energized during my last one. I had more mental victories during my last one.

Currently after the pass out scare I feel absolutely fine!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is Whole30 really for me? It would all be welcomed :)

• Moderators

Could you list a day or two worth of what you've been eating, including approximate portion sizes, along with water intake, sleep, and exercise? We could give you better feedback. It's pretty common for people to not be eating enough and not realize it when they start a Whole30.

Sure! I'll do my best

I've started the past two days with breakfast of two eggs over easy, a grapefruit, and half of a sweet potato

Lunch: stuffed pepper (ground beef, peppers, onions, tomatos) and little bag of carrots

Lunch 2: turkey burger with red cabbage and avocado, handful of blueberries and maybe 4 strawberries, little packet of carrots, and 1/4 cup almonds

Dinner 1: another stuffed pepper because I wasn't prepared with more food

Banana, almond butter with unsweetened coconut chips

Dinner 2: another stuffed pepper probably. I cooked again last night so I promise I'm not surviving off of stuffed peppers and that I'm switching up my vegetables. Also had the banana thing again

I drink anywhere between 5 to 16.9 ounce water bottles a day

Exercise includes light lifting, running, TRX, and couple yoga classes

Usually I get between 6.5-8 hours of sleep a night

I might try laying off some of the fruit, which could be contributing to spikes in your blood sugar and your light headedness and inability to sleep.  I believe the template recommends 1-2 fist size servings of fruit if you're going to eat any at all.  I'd also try upping your starchy vegetable intake (which has worked wonders for me) and eating more fat.  You didn't list a whole lot of added fat outside of avocado and almond butter/nuts.  Add ghee, coconut butter, olives, or other sources of good fat instead of the nuts/nut butters.

Are you eating a pre or post workout meal?  I was experiencing light headedness during my workouts because I was working out fasting prior to starting my W30 this month and I have figured out that a couple of bites of protein or a hard boiled egg prior to my workout makes a huge difference.  I also always need some sort of carb to go with my protein after my workout in order to keep my body happy.  I've noticed a huge uptick in my workouts and my recovery time after playing with the kinds of foods and timing of my meals with my workouts.  I usually have a few bits of chicken breast and some sweet potato after my workout or a baby food pack (today was sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and blueberry) when I'm in a pinch.

Hope this helps and feel better!

• Moderators

Okay. I'm not seeing pre- or post-workout meals listed. Pre-workout, you want to have protein and fat. Many people like a hard boiled egg, maybe with a little mayo or something on it. Post-workout, you want lean protein and starchy vegetable, so something like chicken or tuna and sweet potato. Neither of these needs to be a huge amount of food, just a few bites. Pre-workout is especially important if you're working out first thing in the morning before breakfast. If you're working out later in the day and have eaten a meal within a couple hours before the workout, you may not need the pre-workout.

Any meal where eggs are your only protein source, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. For most people that's 3-4. If you don't want that many eggs, you can combine them with some other protein to make a full serving.

For vegetables, the meal template says to fill your plate with vegetables. That's easily 2-3 cups of vegetables.

As orca_chick said, the fruit is probably not doing you any favors. If you feel like you need carby stuff (and you probably do, with your workouts), go for starchy vegetables instead of fruit, and think of fruit as a bonus, something you eat along with plenty of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats.

Definitely add more fat to your meals, and try not to depend too much on nuts/nut butters. They're fine to have sometimes, but they don't have a great omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, they can cause digestive issues for some people, and they can easily be food without brakes (things you just keep eating without realizing how much you've eaten, or things you can't seem to stop eating once you start). Avocado, olives, oils, mayo.

Finally, do be sure you salt your food to taste. Going too low on salt can cause lightheadedness and dizziness, so if you haven't been salting your food that could contribute to the problem as well, although I really think upping your portion sizes and adding in pre- and post-workout foods is probably going to make a huge difference for you.

Archived