No oven or slow cooker in South Korea - Can I do this?

thom2369

Hello everyone, I am new to this program looking to start on April 1st.  However, I live in a very small apartment in South Korea and do not have an oven or a slow cooker.  Are these really essential items?  I only have a two burner gas stove to cook on. I do have a rice cooker, but won't be making rice obviously.  

Also are there any threads for other people who are living in Asia and doing this program? The available ingredients here might be quite different to western countries.  Luckily I have easy access to vegetables and meats and seafood.  

• Administrators

The question of if you "can" is directly related to how much you really want to.  What I mean is, if you have a stove and a frying pan and a rice cooker, you can make meals.  You're more likely to have to "make to order" rather than pre-cooking but you can also rely on things like canned salmon/sardines, hard boiled eggs (can do in rice cooker) etc.  Rice cookers can also do a lot more than just make rice!

http://justbento.com/handbook/recipe-collection-mains/rice-cooker-frittata-summer-vegetables

http://teczcape.blogspot.ca/2010/11/rice-cooker-stir-fried-cabbage.html

http://wolfsoup.com/2011/05/30/steamed-fish-is-way-better-than-it-sounds/(skip the soy sauce in this one & it's W30 compliant)

All you really need in order to do the Whole30 is the desire and commitment and access to meats/seafoods/eggs, veggies (some fruit if desire) and fats.  You can totally do this!

Thank you!!  You are right.  The "can" is totally up to me, not the equipment. I still have a week to prepare and get ready for making the commitment.  Yes, I think you are right that I would have to rely on "make-to-order" with the things that I have to work with, and probably go shopping frequently as my fridge and freezer are pretty small. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am really excited to be getting a used slow cooker from one of my friends who is moving away!  I will definitely be taking the opportunity to learn how to make some whole 30 approved meals in the slow cooker.  I am almost done with Day 5 now and have been doing pretty well with just my stove-top but washing tons of dishes it seems. 

You can do without one, but the appliance I recommend most is a stick or immersion blender.

These are usually cheap and many people have one they don't want, so you may be able to get a free one from family or friends (there are cheap models here for about AU$10, but there are more fancy ones with different speeds and metal ends).

Mine came with a long and tall container, making it really easy to make blended soups and mayo.

For those in apartments they're also quite small :)

Our place is pretty tiny too! So I understand your dishwashing pain! (we don't have a dishwasher) I can vouch that a person can get used to the work load. It's hard but we've been able to get used to it.

Slow cookers are pretty great for cooking meats/poultry during the day! Best of luck to you!

Archived