Whole30 Holly

CFholly

Hi Holly,

You know, I was just looking back at my log and reading things like "I hate that I ate so much fruit today" or "i know i shouldn't have eaten all of those pistachios." Seriously? When just over 2 weeks ago I was guzzling wine and stuffing pastries in my face (a tad bit exaggerated), how is eating too much fruit a bad thing? I can completely relate to wanting to do everything perfectly. It's not such a bad quality to have, but you definitely gotta give yourself break. Especially when you really look at how much you've accomplished.

I'm really inspired by your dedication to CrossFit. I watched an experienced group of CrossFitters finishing up their session last night before mine started and I almost packed up my bag and walked out the door. I kept thinking to myself that there is no way I will ever be able to do what they're doing. I thought the same thing when I first read the Whole30 program rules. And look at me now! Still hanging in here :)

Unfortunately, I know I will fall hard off the W30 wagon the first weekend in November. We'll be spending the weekend at a hotel in the Black Forest to celebrate my mother-in-laws birthday. Alcohol, carbs, sugar and dairy are all invited -- just to name a few. I'm a little nervous about how that's going to make me feel mentally and physically. I hope to stay as close as possible to a W30 style of eating, but the month of November just isn't looking good (Thanksgiving, cheese fondue dinner with friends, etc.). December is looking just as bad if not worse. Best case scenario is that I'll do another W30 in January/February. I've heard that it's easier the second time around .... so that's definitely something to look forward to!

Hope you got a great nights sleep and are feeling bright and shiny today!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three words...

Fallen. Off. Wagon.

Not badly - but off.

So... I made it to Day 19/20, but tomorrow will be a new Day 1.

100% commitment.

Third time lucky.

I'm a tad disappointed - but I'm only human, and there is no need to blame anyone or anything but myself.

I can and will do it properly.

By the way - I competed in my first Crossfit Competition today... I came 13th. Totally chuffed.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's new beginning.

Good for you on both accounts!!! Glad you're giving W30 another go! You know, I'm still not experiencing the magic, but I do feel better overall. I feel like I've put a ton of effort into this and I guess I just haven't felt as radiant as I expected. Maybe my expectations were too high? Has/is this changing my life.....? Not sure I can say at this point. Maybe the next 10 days will tell. In any case, BEST OF LUCK with your next round!

Congrats on your CrossFit competition, too! That is awesome! I went to my third class on Saturday. I'm really liking it so far! I can actually keep up with the others in my class, much to my surprise. I'm trying to get my husband on board.

Keep me posted on how you're doing!

Third Attempt....

DAY 1 Log (Oct 21)

B - 2 poached eggs/ mushrooms/ sweet potato/ half advocado/ 2x black coffees

S - 2 carrots

L - 3 fried eggs/ bacon/ sausage/ mushrooms/ tomato/ long black (ok, ok this was really a SECOND breakfast! What the hell, it was Sunday and I was still hungry!!)

S - 2x black tea/ handful of nuts/ ABC paste with 3 chopped up dried dates

D - Steamed carrot, cauliflower, brocoli, sweet potato/ scotch fillet steak

Supplements - 6x fish oil tablets/ HEAPS of H2O!!

DAY 2 Log (Oct 22) - So far...

B - 3 poached eggs/ mushrooms/ half advocado/ black coffee

S - Black coffee/ banana dipped in ABC paste (if that's not a Food of the God's, I don't know what is!!)

L - Spinach salad with mushrooms, chicken, capsicum, cucumber, carrot, red onion, grated beetroot

S - Nil!

D - TBA

Back into the swing of Crossfit tonight. Am already looking forward to it (work kinda feels like it gets in the way!!). I have 3 weeks left of classes to teach at work - and then I am hoping that I will have the energy (I'll certainly have the desire!) to attend the 6am class as well as a night class. It's time to step it up. My goal is to be able to competively complete the Crossfit Games Open WODs that will be posted in March 2013. I have a lot of skills to improve upon prior to this... You gotta have faith, faith, faith!!

DAY 2 Log (Oct 22) continued....

D - Scotch fillet steak/ potato/ steamed carrot, brocoli, cauliflower with garlic

S - Black tea/ ABC paste with 3 chopped dates

An awesome night at Crossfit. In one WOD, there was a 10 Wall Ball penalty if we broke in the work out. I had a stealy resolve, and performed the 7 minute AMRAP of 12 Back Squats (@40kg)/24 Double Under skips UNBROKEN. 4 rounds. I was happy :-)

DAY 3 Log(Oct 23)

B - 2 poached eggs/ mushrooms/ bacon/ black coffee

S - Banana with ABC Paste/ black coffee

L - Usual spinach salad, with chicken and all the rest/ boiled egg

S - Paw paw spears/ cashews/ almonds/ boiled egg

D - TBA (I think my partner is cooking Atlantic Salmon! Yummo)

Off to Crossfit now... need to clear my head after a stale old Staff Meeting. I swear, the guys mouth was moving but I couldn't tell you a single word that was uttered. My brain was in other places and my tummy was rumbling!! Boooo to Staff Meetings!! Yay for Crossfit!!

Your breakfasts sound so yummy! I need to take a cue from you. Keep up the good work! I fell off on my Day 16 and started over last Friday. So far, it's easier the second time around.

DAY 3 Log(Oct 23)

Off to Crossfit now... need to clear my head after a stale old Staff Meeting. I swear, the guys mouth was moving but I couldn't tell you a single word that was uttered. My brain was in other places and my tummy was rumbling!! Boooo to Staff Meetings!! Yay for Crossfit!!

Amen to CF!!

Thanks Megan. Yeah I like to get up early and potter around in the kitchen. It's soothing for me when I wake up grumpy. I have nailed the fine art of poaching eggs - a little bit of runny yolk is the key :-)

And Crossfit.... Well I could harp on about that fine thing all day. It has been a god send for me - in terms of fitness, strength, cardio, community (have made some beautiful friends there!), confidence and sanity!! etc etc...

Where do you do your Crossfit? I go to Crossfit Launceston in Tasmania, Australia!

DAY 4 Log (Oct 24) - so far....

B - 3 poached eggs/ bacon/ black coffee

S - Banana with ABC paste/ black coffee

L - Spinach salad with capsicum/ mushroom/ cucumber/ celery/ egg/ pink salmon

S - Handful of cashews/ almonds

D - TBA

I seem to be finding things a little easier this time around. Perhaps because I have gone from one Whole30 "try" to another without a break, and only a tiny slip up of sugar/ non-whole30 foods, it feels like the detox isn't quite as severe this time - which is nice. I feel like I will be successful this time around. I have a desire, and I have a focus, and I feel better for being 100% strict. I have completely cut grains, sugar, dairy. Last time I was sneaking a bit of milk in my cup of tea - which was so cheating! This time - I am 100% commited and I can't wait to reap the rewards that I deserve.

DAY 4 Log (Oct 24) ... continued

D - Mixed grill (Steak, egg, bacon, sausage, tomoto, onion) with steamed carrot, brocoli, cauliflower, potato

S - ABC paste with 3 dried dates

Feeling strong and good with a PB at Crossfit - a 50kg Clean and Jerk. Hopefully the strong feeling continues...

DAY 5 Log (Oct 25)

B - 3 poached eggs/ bacon/ black coffee

S - ABC paste with apple/ Long black

L - Salad of spinach, egg, red onion, capsicum, cucumber, tuna

S - Dried paw paw/ cashews/ boiled egg

D - TBA

I have turned into the Hulk again... Not in a good, strong way - but it an 'I want to kill everyone cos they are being annoying' kinda way :-( It's a lonely feeling which I hate and am very aware of but can't seem to control. I just wonder if my partner is thinking about running to the hills to escape the storm that is me .... Sigh.

D - Scotch fillet steak/ bacon/ 2 fried eggs (coconut oil all the way, baby!)/ sweet potato/ black tea

S - (had these before dinner) Handful cashews/ paw paw/ seeds/ dried apricot/ fresh pear

Didn't go to training tonight. Felt I needed a bit of down time and a rest from it. It's hard though cos I love going to my Crossfit box, but sometimes you can't fight what your body is telling ya!!

Bit snacky today - but I think out of boredom and not necessity. Tomorrow will be easier. Actually this time around has been a lot easier. I haven't really felt that its been a big chore. It's just how it is now. Talking with my partner over dinner tonight and we both said how much we DON'T miss bread and grains. Your body definitely adapts to what you give it.

Hi Holly,

Just came across your log today. I have just completed Day 1 of my W60 today - but is not my first attempt! I completely relate to everything you have been writing about - so much so, you could have been writing about how I have felt attempting this before. Even down to the 'why am I bothering with this!?'

I was doing the Whole Life Challenge with my CrossFit Box in Melbourne (and will still finish it off), but fell off the wagon using bonus points and fell off big time. I was going so well for the first three weeks and was feeling great, but then had a little sugar and it all went downhill from there.

I have decided to do a Whole 60 - two reasons: one being I think I am going to need 60 days before really feeling progress given the damage I have done to my body through stress etc over the past couple of years and second, 60 days will take me right up to just before Christmas which I thought was nicely timed.

Anyway, in reading your log, you have inspired me to start my own. I will keep following yours - good luck and keep it up!

DAY 6 Log (Oct 26) ... So far

B - 3 poached eggs/ bacon/ mushrooms/ black coffee

S - carrot/ long black/ nut slice at vegetarian cafe 'Fresh' (may have had honey. I asked if it was sugar free and the lady said its choc full of nuts and dates and good things but has honey)... I decided to have it. May be uncompliant though. Feel a bit guilty!)

L - Don't feel much like my salad for lunch today so just having carrot/ banana with ABC paste/ black coffee. I know that perhaps banana isn't the best choice so I will cut those out as of next week.

D - TBA

Crossfit tonight. Doing a small 'chipper' WOD. One where you have some big numbers and you just chip away! These are my favourite types of WODs - ones you can really sink your teeth into.

Tonight's WOD:

• 100 Double Under skips
  • 800m Run
  • 60 Box Jumps @20"
  • 40 Wall Balls @6kg
  • 200m Farmers Carry with 16kg Kettlebell in each hand!

Aiming for 13 mins! Stay tuned!

S - banana/ cashews

D - Ginger stirfry with beef chicken prawns/ fresh spring rolls

S - ABC paste with dried dates/ black tea x2

Crossfit was cool tonight. I did the chipper WOD in... wait for it... 13.40!! Boom!

Heading there again at 8am in the morning. Saturday treat of a healthy breakfast at a favourite cafe, then off to do some retail therapy!!

Life's good xx

Great to see you feeling better - well done! Keep it up! My aim is to have a fairly clean weekend while I am up in Sydney and then start fresh on Monday after getting fully prepped.

DAY 7 Log (Oct 27)

Sorry for the delay. Busy weekend! (No one probably reading anyway! haha)

B - 3 poached eggs/ bacon/ mushrooms/ black coffee

L - Second breakfast out at a cafe (almost exactly like what I had for breakfast!!) ham/ bacon/ 2 poached eggs/ mushrooms/ tomato/ long black

S - Handful of cashews, pawpaw, almonds/ dried pawpaw spears/ carrots/

D - Out for dinner at Japanese restaurant - chose mixed seafood, and some compliant sides (no sushi or rice)/ water

Can't really remember my snacks for the day. I just grazed a little but not much. Dinner was great. It was awesome to walk out of the restaurant and not feel bloated from eating too much rice. Pleasantly surprised, but then again - it makes sense!

DAY 8 Log (Oct 28)

B - 3 poached eggs/ bacon/ mushrooms/ black coffee (breakfasts are becoming the same - but why ruin a good thing!)

S - Handful of cashews, almonds, pawpaw/ black coffee

L - Out to vegetarian cafe - had a mixed plate with various bits and pieces - perhaps not fully compliant, but I don't feel bloated or yucky. ANOTHER long black!! (I'm loving no milk in my coffees)

S- Banana/ handful of cashews, almonds, pawpaw/ coffee

D - Roasted sweet potato/ 2 fried eggs/ 3 lamb loin chops

S - Black tea

Have finished the first week and am feeling ok. Not tired or sluggish like on my last attempts. Even had a staff morning tea on Friday which was fuelled by cakes and sausage rolls, and I happily munched on my little bag of nuts and drank a coffee. I won a bottle of champagne and quite happily put it away for perhaps Christmas Day!

Making good choices. BOOM!

DAY 9 Log (Oct 29)

B - 3 poached eggs / bacon / black coffee

S - Apple / banana / 2x carrots / macadamia nuts (not all at same time!) / black coffee

L - Spinach salad with carrots, capsicum, cucumber, red onion, beetroot, 2x boiled eggs / black coffee

S - Macadamia nuts

D - TBA

Feeling super sluggish today. Might be Monday-itis. Might be end of term. Might be over training. Might be brain drain (I got a new MacBook Pro on the weekend - who knew that converting my way of thinking from PC to Mac would be so draining!!). Might not be eating enough... Hmmmm I think I might go with... MONDAY-ITIS. Lucky for me my classes are being lovely and just getting on with their work while I update my forum! hahaha. I don't think I'll win "Teacher of the Year" awards this week!!

Archived