Moving right along!

katieblue

Well, I tried to make the cake. I buttered all the pans, separated 12 eggs, melted 12 oz of chocolate, whipped up 12 egg yolks and sugar and heard a clunk. My toddler is always loosening a piece on my kitchen aid mixer and this time it fell out, into the bowl. I went to turn it off - but I was too late. the mixer hit the metal piece and bounced off and SMASH the glass bowl EXPLODED into 3 million shards of glass all over the kitchen, in the egg whites, in the chocolate, on the floor. EVERYWHERE. So it all had to go in the garbage. And no cake. Which I have been planning for a week now. sigh. I guess I won't be introducing sugar today.

Oh no! What a disaster. And how disappointing. Hope it's all cleaned up and you took some time relax after that!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your sympathy guys! I was pretty mad, but also it was funny in how stupid it was. We have been finding shards of glass all over the kitchen and I just pulled one out of my arm?  But later today a friend dropped off homemade choke cherry sauce, so I made a quick brownie and had it with whipped cream. all week I've been looking forward to dessert! and after the stupid cake debacle (which I posted about on Facebook and all my friends find it hilarious btw) I felt like I 'deserved' dessert. and like everyone else here, it was just...meh. Super sweet - too much in fact. Now my stomach hurts. Unfortunately it was gluten and dairy, so I don't know what has made me feel like this..I know I react to gluten but now I am curious about dairy. I had one piece and that was it. Normally I would be snacking on it all night. So that part is good. 

Jen c - congrats on finishing and good NSV! and insights.

ksea - your dinner sounds amazing!

Katie - uggg. I hope you bounce back and feel better

Wendy - good about the coffee creamer and that you are still sticking to just tea in evenings. 

galaxiegrl - good thinking on the bread. You will actually enjoy it and make it kind of special. I feel my thinking on food has changed too.

CGinDC - I felt pretty weird when I was first pregnant. tired, everything smelled strong and I just felt weird. Also, how is it in DC right now. The shooting at Capital Visitor Centre is all over the news. Made me think of you - hope it is all okay.

Hey Galaxigrl, hope you found the motivation to exercise!! And I think it's definitely going to be key to have self-control and eat only one piece of something at a time... learned that the hard way after Easter, haha. That will be my main goal this second Whole 30 starting April 1st: mindful eating. I'll think of you resisting the homemade bread as my motivation!

CGinDC, sorry you felt crappy after Wegman's! (I used to LOVE that buffet). I definitely think they could have easily snuck soy sauce or something into some of the dishes. Hope that's all cleared out of your system by now, though! It is really insane how much even a small amount of something can affect us now. When I had the dairy, I felt my nose stuffing up right away, and I think that was probably the culprit for the gnarly headache yesterday. I bet you're going to have a SUPER healthy baby, knowing you're putting all the good stuff in your system. :) Lol!

Ramonax - so sorry about the glass disaster!! I'm also sorry the brownie made you feel crummy. I guess you'll have to try out dairy separately and see how you feel? I know in the past it wouldn't have affected me as much as it did after Easter, but I think it seems like wiping it completely out of your body and then putting some back in after so many days can be a total shock to your system. It's awesome that your sugar dragon stayed asleep, though! :)

ksea, that's pretty much the way I make the sweet potato casserole, too! ;) I'm so glad you liked it! And I love the fish tacos idea!! (And still so jealous of your cooking skills/ideas!)

Also so glad your sugar dragon didn't wake up and come charging in! I feel like we've all managed to garner a much better handle on those big ugly lizards after our Whole 30.

Wendy, sorry that the sweet potatoes turned out chunky! It is a pain that they take so long to roast them. I usually block out about two hours for them to be done to how I like them (one hour and 15 mins at 425, then turn the oven off and just let them sit there for another 45 mins. The skin slides off like magic!) I hope it still tasted okay, though!

And really sorry that chocolate doesn't agree with you. :( I haven't tried it yet myself, but my dad did buy me some Cadbury eggs because he knows they were my favorite. But after Easter went so badly, I'm almost afraid to try them! Maybe I'll save them until after the next Whole 30.

Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy over my food-induced condition yesterday! Lol! I feel much better today, but still kind of hazy and a little headachey and nauseous. But WAY improved from yesterday; that was just terrible. I hope I've learned my lesson about gorging on massive amounts of food now... I don't ever want to feel like that again. :( Especially since my classes started up again yesterday and I had such a hard time focusing on them and got really overwhelmed. I really need to take care of myself so I can get through my last year of grad school!!

I still have to catch up on everyone's posts, but wanted to check in and say hi! We made it through Easter weekend! My husband and I went out of town Saturday night and had a "Date day" all day Saturday. It was fun, but we ate all kinds of junk and felt incredibly bloated, jittery, and otherwise pretty horrible the rest of the weekend. My MIL made all of the Easter meal on Sunday straight from the W30 book (NSV, ya'll) and it was amazing and put us back on track. Because we were out of town, I didn't go grocery shopping until last night, so we were on our own through the whole day yesterday. My husband ordered from a food truck that came to his work yesterday and sent me a picture - he special ordered this amazing-looking plate of chicken and vegetables roasted in lemon juice and I was ridiculously jealous, but also super proud that he is really taking on making good choices (another NSV! They keep coming. :) )

Anyway - so after I went to the store last night, we are pretty much back to W30 100% of the time. We were going to officially start on April 1, but we felt so awful this weekend that my husband was begging me to just buy all compliant things and meal plan the week.

For now I need to get back to work, but I'll try to catch up on all of your posts later on today. Hope you all had a great holiday weekend! :)

Good morning everyone!

ksea - I really hope I don't get bad morning sickness. I've only been at my job for 4 months and I have a probationary period until 6 months, so I really don't want to have to tell them I'm pregnant before that time is up! My sister had strong food aversions but not a lot of sickness, but my mom had bad morning sickness. I have read that cutting out grains and sugar can help with nausea, so I'm hoping that the W30 inoculated me from it a bit. 

katie - glad you're feeling better! The first time I did a W30 I had a salad from Chop't maybe about 20 days in, and even though it was supposedly compliant, something in it (I"m thinking the dressing) gave me the worst headache. And they wouldn't send me the ingredient list! I emailed back and forth with the customer sales team asking if it had sugar, soy, etc and all they would do was say yes or no. So I never did figure out what caused it.

bwilliams - those are great NSVs with your MIL and husband. I am hoping my husband will join me in a W30 one day. He tried to tempt me with some Samoas the other day but I resisted because I'm not quite ready to add gluten back in yet. I think he wants an excuse to eat a bunch of them himself and not feel too guilty about it.  :)

I think I'll add in non-gluten grains next. I have lunch with my boss today and it's always hard to find compliant foods, so this will be an opportunity to add something in - maybe some rice. I don't anticipate that it will affect me much - I think my only concern with it is that it will push other more nutritious things off my plate!

Also, Ramonax - we're fine here in DC. Unfortunately we're pretty used to the crazy people who try to rush the capitol or white house - seems like something happens every few months. It sounds like the guy they caught yesterday was known to the capitol police and had a history of mental health issues. Luckily my office is on the other side of town, so everything was calm where I am. That said, with all the stuff that's going on in the world it can be a little stressful at times, wondering if someone is going to try and hit DC. 

bwilliams, congrats on your NSV's!  I'm so proud of my husband, too.  He makes me smile every time he asks, "Is this compliant?"  He painted all day yesterday at our daughter's new condo,and all he had all day was fruit, and asked me to drop him off an unsweetened iced tea.  In the past, he would have justified a Big Mac due to all his hard work. And he used to be a huge snacker in the evenings, pretzels, popcorn, beer, etc.  Now he grabs a handful of almonds, and that's about it. We've also been drinking lots of La Croix (just carbonated water, no sodium, no sweeter, no calories!).  

We had planned to do our next W30 the month of May, but now I really want to start sooner.  Here's my dilemma: my daughter graduates from college May 8 (also Mother's Day), and we want to be able to celebrate with a nice dinner out (probably Japanese steak house)- which will definitely NOT be compliant, and I'd like to be able to have some wine (this is my first child graduating from college!!). My husband thinks we should just not worry about the W30 that day, and just follow the plan the rest of the month, but I think we should just start earlier so we can be done by May 8, or start on May 9th...suggestions or advice? 

Wendy

Bwilliams, sorry you felt so crappy after Saturday, but way to go on getting right back on the wagon! I hope you're feeling better by now. :) I'm also back to eating Whole30 style because dear god there was NO food that would be worth the way I felt yesterday after Easter. Even the most amazing decadent chocolate peanut butter cake on earth, if I knew I would feel like that afterward, I would not eat it. Now I just need to remember how bad it felt next time I'm faced with the option of gorging. :P

CG, I hope you can steer clear of the morning sickness, too! I do wonder how Whole 30-style living will affect your pregnancy - I can't imagine it being anything but a positive force!

That's crazy that they wouldn't give you the ingredients in the salad. I feel like that's completely unfair, especially considering your reaction. And I thought chain restaurants had gotten pretty good about listing their ingredients. (We're going to Red Robin with my dad and stepmom on Thursday and even though our next one doesn't officially start until April 1, I was still happy to find there are some options that are grain, dairy, and soy free!)

Wendy, congratulations to your daughter!! You must be so proud! :) is she your oldest?

And I would side with you, I have to say, in just starting earlier and making sure you're finished in time to celebrate on the 8th. A couple of us are launching again April 1 so you wouldn't be alone!

Hi everyone!  So, yesterday I felt great when I first woke up - finally kicked my lingering cough from the cold I had about a week or so ago, but then I started feeling pretty yucky by lunchtime - stuffy nose, headachy, sinus pain.  Just random stuff.  I don't know if it was allergies or maybe the pizza I ate on Sunday night?  Yesterday, I was back to mostly W30, other than a half of a red velvet cake doughnut I had after breakfast.  And today I feel MUCH better!  I had never really noticed having any sort of reaction to non-W30 foods in the past, but I also didn't really pay much attention.  I'm much more cognizant of it now.  

Ramona - That really sucks about the cake!  I would be SO pissed if that happened to me.  I hope you stop finding glass shards!  What is choke cherry sauce?  It sounds delicious.

ksea - All of the foods you make always sound so amazing.  I know we've said this before, but can we come live with you??? :)

katie - I didn't end up getting up to exercise this morning, since I was feeling yucky yesterday, but I'm going to try to take a walk with my son after work, as long as he is ok with getting in the stroller.  At least it's better than nothing!  I've always struggled with working out, and now that I have a toddler, I find it even more difficult to fit in!  I'm really glad you're feeling better today!

bwilliams - Glad you got back on track this week!  I'm still amazed at how eating differently for 30 days could really make such a difference.

CG - I hope you don't get morning sickness either!  When I was pregnant, I felt nauseated almost every day for the first 3 months, but I never threw up, so I considered it a win!  And it was never bad enough to make me miss work.

Wendy - That's so great about your husband!  I find it can be really difficult to get guys to change.  My husband had no alcohol last night at all.  Not that he's an alcoholic or anything, but he normally has 1-2 drinks/night.  And we're not even officially doing W30!  I'm so proud of him.  And we LOVE La Croix.  What's your favorite flavor?  We love the grapefruit.  I think if you're doing your next W30 to lose weight, it's not going to be a big deal to cheat one day, but if you're doing it to find out if you have food allergies/sensitivities, then you definitely can't cheat during it.  And congrats on your daughter graduating from college!

katieblue, well, my family is kind of confusing...I have 5 children, and 2 stepchildren.  (I remarried 5 years ago).  Out of "my" children, she is the 2nd oldest.  (My oldest, a boy, only went to college one semester, now he works w/his dad. So I am very proud of her!  In our family, the boys are kind of unmotivated, but the girls are real go-getters!  I really do believe that boys mature about 5 years behind girls, at least!  :D

I'll let you know what we decide about starting our next round of W30...I never thought I would be looking forward to it again so soon! It's amazing how I consider it a lifestyle change, not just "another diet." This time around, we plan to be more prepared.  (Last time, I got the book from Amazon on a Thursday, and we started on the following Monday.) This time, I plan to make some of the condiments like ketchup and sauces ahead of time, and order those compliant salad dressings (is it Tessimae's?) ahead of time so we can take those to work to have on our salads.  We got really tired of the vinaigrettes, and if you refrigerate them they solidify due to the olive oil.

Wendy

galaxigrl,   Our favorite La Croix flavor so far is coconut, but we've also only tried the mango and apricot.  I'll definitely try the grapefruit- pink grapefruit is one of my favorite fruits, even before W30.

And I know what you mean about the alcohol-before the W30, I usually had 1-2 glasses of wine a night, and now that I'm officially "done" with W30, I found that I don't "need" that wine every night to "wind down."  I don't plan to stop drinking wine altogether, but I definitely need to cut back, if not for anything else but cutting calories.  I don't think I would have lost those 11.5 lbs without cutting out the alcohol like in the W30-it's just a lot of calories.  

And thanks for the congrats on my daughter, I'm definitely proud of her, for doing so well in college, while continuing to waitress on the weekends.  

Wendy

wendy, congratulations on your daughter's upcoming graduation!  I agree with galaxigrl's thoughts on your next W30.  It sounds sensible and reasonable. 

galaxigrl, I'm glad you're feeling better.  Isn't it amazing how aware we are now of how greatly things are affecting us??

CG, so glad you're not suffering from morning sickness yet (and hopefully won't at all!).

I don't know what my problem is today but I just want to Eat All The Food.  Is it for convenience sake?  I'm sure Starbucks would taste overly sweet and of course it would completely ruin my deliberate reintro plans.  Not going to give in to that, but for some reason today has been the hardest since day 1.  I just want to SNACK but I'm not hungry.  Maybe it's PMS.  Ugh.  On a good note, my BMI has dropped from 28.02 down to 26.22 - still higher than the "normal" range, but better than it was in February.  Somehow though, that news is not overcoming my desire for snacking at the moment.  Now that I've confessed, I'll go return the jar of chocolate chips to the pantry . . . .

I'm having some snacky cravings at the moment too. My eating was kind of messed up today - I had a doctor's appointment first thing this morning so I didn't eat until about 3 hours after I got up. Then my boss asked me to go to lunch so we could catch up and there just weren't a lot of options. I figured I'd go ahead and add in legumes so I got some black bean soup, and had a salad with grilled chicken, blue cheese, and walnuts. I looked up the ingredients afterwards and I don't think there was anything too concerning - the allergen info said there was a bit of soy in the salad dressing oil, and sulfites. I've got some belly issues, nothing too unexpected after not eating beans for a whole month though! Anyway, I had a mini meal when I got home - leftover greens and lamb - but I still want snacks. Luckily for me (I guess), there's not much in the house I can snack on!

I love the grapefruit lacroix. We had a case in the house but I think it lasted like 4 days.

Galaxigrl, I hope you're feeling better and less stuffy now! It really is crazy how much these things can affect us, and how hard it is to determine the cause if you aren't doing the slow-roll reintros!

Wendy, wow you do have a lot going on in your family! I definitely think you're right about the girls maturing faster, but then, I'm a little biased. ;)

I made a ranch dressing that was fabulous as an alternative to a vinaigrette, as well as the homemade Russian that came with the cabbage rolls recipe (that was GODLY), if you'd be interested in those!

I've never tried this LaCroix, I must investigate! I did just try kombucha over the weekend and it was deeeelicious!!

jen, I definitely remember PMS making me want to eat like crazy -- especially if there's no other reason! Unless maybe something you reintro'd could have sparked some cravings in you again?

And congrats on the BMI going down!! That's awesome! :D

CG, I think you're expected to have some cravings, considering your condition! ;)

I do love that the house is so cleaned out and there isn't much we can have!! Definitely makes resisting cravings easier!!

I'm going to see Iron Maiden tonight, guys. I am SO excited!!! :D

We're having a hard time figuring out what to eat at Penn Station before the show, though! I have no idea what, if anything, will be compliant, and we have to leave a little too early to eat dinner. It's starting to stress me out!

Ohmygoshyouguys! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a la Croix "problem"! It is so good! I've only ever tried grapefruit, lime and coconut. Wendy, my favorite is coconut too! I did buy some berry to try, so I'll report back.

Katie, have fun at the concert tonight!

Wendy I agree with you, I used to have a glass of wine every night after work. Not healthy, I know! I'm glad to know I can still have it when I want to, but I've not wanted to very much! I do miss the social aspect of grabbing something to drink with friends, but I'll enjoy that again after reintros are done.

Sorry for not having time to reply to everyone individually! I'm reading along and cheering for you, though!

Who is restarting on April 1? I won't be, we are vacationing the week of April 10 and want to be done with reintroductions by then so we can go full of knowledge of how to feed ourselves. But I will be following you! And I hope you all still post here as well.

Yesterday I introduced legumes. So far so good! Through the course of the day, I had peanut butter, chili with beans, hummus, and lentil soup. Besides being a little gassy at the end of the day (who wouldn't be after all those beans?) So far so good! I purposefully didn't have soy, I want to try that separately.

Compliant today to see if the legumes catch up with me!

Hi, everyone.  I was so proud of myself this morning!  I actually got up when my alarm went off and did a mini workout!  10 minutes, but you have to start somewhere, right?!?  I may also have done that because I was feeling super guilty after dinner last night.  My friend was in town, and we went to dinner at one of my favorite places, where she hadn't been before.  The first problem was that we had way too many bready things!  Then, on top of that, we had way too much food in general!  It was all very delicious, but I felt so gross and bloated when I got home.  Luckily, I felt ok this morning, but now I'm feeling bloated again, and all I had so far today was an apple with almond butter.

Wendy - Tessamae's is the compliant dressing, but they're mostly vinaigrettes that solidify in the fridge.  Personally, I think the homemade dressings are MUCH better.  If you have the book, the ranch in there is really good, and I second Katie on the Russian dressing she and I made.  Also, someone posted a balsamic on here that was really good.  I think maybe TerraZ?  I made that, and it doesn't solidify.  Also, glad I'm not the only one who had a semi-wine problem :).  I agree that I'm definitely not cutting it out for good, but I'm definitely cutting back!  When I went out to dinner last night, I normally would have had two alcoholic drinks, but I just had one glass of bubbly.

Katie - How was the concert/dinner?  Definitely try the La Croix.  It's really, really good and a fun alternative to regular water.  Glad you liked the Kombucha!  What flavor did you have?  I think that's a great alternative to wine, considering, if you get it without the chia seeds, some are like 60 calories for 16 oz!

CG - That's about how long the grapefruit La Croix lasts in my house, too!  My husband is obsessed!  We also love the Orange Cream Polar Ice sparkling water.  It has a hint of creamsicle flavor.

jen c - Congrats on the drop in your BMI!  That's a great accomplishment!  You're so close to "normal"!  Mine went from just above normal before W30 to a bit below.  

I'm not restarting on April 1, but I would love to follow along with whoever is.  My husband and I are definitely going to do another one, but we haven't set a date yet.  We were thinking maybe May or June.  It might be tough in the summer, though!

Kalina, glad to hear the legumes went well for you.  Hope everything else is just as agreeable. 

katieblue, have a great time at the concert and good luck with food! 

galaxigrl, kudos for exercising!!  One day at a time, right?  I've thought that exercise should be my next 30 day challenge.  Or 3 day.  Or 1 day!  Yikes.

I'm not starting again on April 1st because I'll be working on reintros all throughout the month.  My consensus so far is that corn caused no adverse reaction, but sugar . . . looks like it may be a problem.  I've had just a little bit of sugar (aforementioned chocolate chips) each day Saturday-Tuesday and the last 3 nights have had terrible nights' sleep and bad dreams.  I've been a very poor sleeper my whole life, but while doing W30, got the best sleep I've ever had for that length of time.  Can sugar have that effect?  I need to check on it, but it's the only thing different.  I'll give my body a few days to get clean again and then will plan to try rice on Sunday or Monday. 

I know we've said this before, but can we come live with you??? :)

galaxigrl - You guys are too sweet!  If any of you ever make it to Alaska, I'd love to have you!  I'd have to check with my husband about people moving in, though.  ;) We're in the process of building a house, and all I dream about is hosting dinner parties and brunch.  No one does brunch around here!  It's my favorite.  I haven't had a drink yet since becoming pregnant, and can't decide if it will be a mimosa, a margarita (I like both of those with some fresh grapefruit juice too!), or a glass of wine.  I looked for LaCriox and couldn't find any here  :( They sound good.  I was never a big soda drinker (too sweet), but I like something fizzy and cold if it's hot out.  I thought about getting one of those carbonated water makers, but don't know how much I'd really use it.

That's awesome you got a workout in!  I'm starting out with small 10 minute workouts too, I feel like if I try doing too much at first it'll have less of a chance of becoming a habit.  I was also able to make it out for a 4 mile walk yesterday and today!

katieblue - Hope you had found something to eat, and had fun at the concert!  Sounds like a blast!

I'm going to be starting again on April 1st.  I didn't have any dairy the other day besides the yogurt and splash of half and half in my coffee.  My baby's poop was really mucous-y later that afternoon, so I think I'll have him tested for a dairy intolerance during his next check up.  I'm going to try gluten grains tomorrow.  

On the topic of salad dressings, I recently discovered that a dollop of mayo and salsa makes a really yummy, quick dressing!

Has anyone listened to any of the Harder To Kill Radio podcasts by Stephanie Gaudreau of Stupid Easy Paleo?  I was prepping a batch of her Fermented Ginger Carrots today and decided to listen to an episode.  It was pretty interesting, I plan on listening to more of them.

Katieblue,

I hope you had fun at the concert! Sounds so fun!

Galaxigrl,

I do love the ranch dressing from the W30 book, and think I'm going to make the cabbage rolls w/ Russian dressing this weekend, so I'll let you know how we like it. I'm bummed to hear the Tessamae's salad dressings solidify in the fridge, just like the vinaigrettes I made did. I was hoping to be able to take one and leave it in the fridge at work for my salads, just for convenience sake. Good for you only having one glass of bubbly with dinner! I need to work on cutting myself off after 1 drink. I'm still amazed I made it through the W30 with no cheats, not even a sip of wine-I guess maybe I have more self-control than I thought.

I think my husband and I are going to do our next Whole 30 the month of May, and just not worry about being compliant for my daughter's graduation dinner. We have way too many family birthdays in April (4 of of our 7 kids have April birthdays!)

I can't wait to try the grapefruit LaCroix now! Ksea, I'm sorry you can't find it in Alaska. I'm with you on the mimosas and margaritas! Yum!

Today, I ate compliant except for one thing, I took my son to Panera for a snack after school, and I had a bagel. It tasted so good! It felt addicting, like I could have eaten 3 more! Don't worry, I just had 1!

Wendy

ksea - there are a lot of milk allergies in my husband's family. One of my nephew's reacts when dairy touches his skin. You can try putting milk/yogurt on your baby's skin and note if there is a reaction. This may not tell you anything at all, my step son, who was also very seriously allergic didn't react in that way. So if nothing happens, it doesn't tell you anything. But if your baby reacts, it does give you some information. 

Kalina, let us know how you feel after the legumes have had some time to sit in your system!! I hope that all goes well and you can digest them just fine. (I do miss peanut butter...)

Galaxigrl, way to take charge with the exercising!! Any is better than none at all! :)
I tried the ginger kombucha (I adore ginger!) and it was so amazing. I've been thinking about it since then and I really want to get some more. I'm afraid the La Croix will have the same effect! :P

jen, I'm sorry you seem to have trouble with sugar! I wonder what your threshold is, like if you'd be able to have any small amounts in salad dressings or condiments? I'm not sure to what end it can affect you, but I think I remember a lot of mods mentioning that it is mostly psychological, not physical. I wonder if it might be something you may want to ask a doctor about?

ksea, I second galaxigrl's question. I want to come move in with you and eat your food! I'll clean your house in exchange; promise I'll earn my keep! :)

Mayo and salsa - I would never have thought of it, but it sounds delicious! You're just so creative! I'm going to totally try some of your recipes in this next round!

Wendy, way to stay strong on not eating multiple bagels!! Keep that sugar dragon in her cage! ;)

The concert was awesome, thank you, everybody! I'm sssooo tired today but it was so worth it. They're my favorite band and this was the third time I'd seen them - and the first time I'd ever been to MSG! I'm so happy!!! :)

Is anyone struggling with guilt with eating or drinking non-compliant items since the W30?  As much as I enjoyed the bagel yesterday, and my coffee creamer, every time I've had something non-compliant I feel guilty.  I'm always hard on myself, so maybe it's just me? For instance,  a couple days ago I had some greek yogurt, and couldn't get over how sweet it tasted.  Pre-W30, i always thought that was a healthy addition to my breakfast or lunch, post W30, I feel like I'm treating myself to a decadent dessert.  

katieblue,

Glad you enjoyed the concert!  

ksea, I can't wait to try the homemade mayo w/salsa. I never would have thought of that either.   I did find compliant fresh salsa at Trader Joes that was awesome.  I've also found jarred compliant salsa at Giant Eagle and Kroger, but I much prefer the fresh.  

Wendy

Two days of exercising in a row!  The sad part is that I'm sore today.  After just a 10 minute workout.  It's actually a pretty intense 10 minutes (at least for someone like me who has been lazy for a while now).  I do 1 min of lunges, 1 min of jumping jacks, and then 1 min of the following with a 30 second break in between: bicep curls with 5 lb weights, shoulder presses with 3 lb weights, squats, lunges with 3 lb weights, and Russian twists.  After I worked out today, I decided to just see how much I weighed.  I'm up 2.2 lbs from Day 31.  This is why I hate the scale!!!  I'm trying to forget about it and press on.  I know I haven't eaten 100% clean this past week, but I thought I was doing well.

jen c: That's a bummer about the sugar.  I hope you get it figured out.

ksea: I had been debating getting a sparkling water maker, too.  I think they're worth it.  I've noticed, for me, if I have some sparkling water with fruit, herbs, natural flavors in it or some kombucha to drink in the evenings, I'm MUCH less likely to have alcohol.  And thanks for the dressing tip.  I know I've said it before, but I'm so in love with the homemade mayo.  I could probably put that on my salad just as it is!  Thanks for the tip on the podcasts, too.  I rarely listen to podcasts, mostly just because I forget about them.  And congrats on getting some exercise in!

Wendy: I was wrong about the balsamic.  That solidifies, too.  Could you just bring the dressing to work and run the bottle under some warm water when you want to put it on your salad?  That's what we do when we want to use it.  Or just take it out of the fridge like 15 mins or so before lunchtime?  I also didn't think I would make it through 30 days with no alcohol, but I guess when we do stuff like this, we find out we're stronger than we think we are!

katie: The ginger Kombucha is my favorite.  I like the Lavendar, too.  But I love, love, love anything ginger.  I think it kind of tastes like ginger ale, which I really enjoy but don't drink, since I try to stay away from soda.

Is anyone struggling with guilt with eating or drinking non-compliant items since the W30?  As much as I enjoyed the bagel yesterday, and my coffee creamer, every time I've had something non-compliant I feel guilty.  I'm always hard on myself, so maybe it's just me? For instance,  a couple days ago I had some greek yogurt, and couldn't get over how sweet it tasted.  Pre-W30, i always thought that was a healthy addition to my breakfast or lunch, post W30, I feel like I'm treating myself to a decadent dessert. 

Yes, yes, yes, yes!  I'm STILL feeling guilty over my dinner on Tuesday night.  And why???  It was just one dinner!  And it wasn't even like I was eating a bunch of junk food.  Yes, it wasn't Whole 30, but it was good, fresh, local wholesome, preservative-free food.  But I still feel guilty!  If you figure out how to get rid of the guilt, let me know!

Yes, yes, yes, yes!  I'm STILL feeling guilty over my dinner on Tuesday night.  And why???  It was just one dinner!  And it wasn't even like I was eating a bunch of junk food.  Yes, it wasn't Whole 30, but it was good, fresh, local wholesome, preservative-free food.  But I still feel guilty!  If you figure out how to get rid of the guilt, let me know!

Right there with ya.  The guilt is strong and it's frustrating because the logic reminds me that is was a Whole 30.  We're beyond that 30 now, so shouldn't carry guilt over non-compliance, but logic doesn't always win out over conscience.

Archived