Moving right along!

katieblue

ksea - there are lots of great 'couch to 5 km' or 'couch to 10km" apps you can download on your phone. My husband just started using one - we actually went running together this weekend. has been my dream forever! They make it really easy to start running and get up to 5km (3.12 miles). I am having difficulties running as the bears are out, so I'm afraid to go into the trails alone before work and now with the baby, I'm a bit more tied to the house (ha! 'bit more', more like totally-shackled.. but anyway) I'm trying to get out during lunch, but then I come back to work a gross sweaty mess. All this to say, I need to focus more on what I can do exercise/running wise and just do it. Less on all the reasons it is hard (though it really would be a drag to be eaten by a bear).

You made me laugh!  It would be a big bummer to be eaten by a bear!  :D  We lived in Kodiak when I was a kid and I didn't understand why our Girl Scout leaders never took us on hikes or on campouts.  Duh . . . not wise to take a gaggle of little girls out into the wild with the grizzly bears.  Lol.  One time when my family was camping, there were reports of a mama bear in the area.  So my parents sent us kids to sleep in the back of the truck while they stayed in the tent.  No kid is going to sleep when they're worried their parents will be a bear meal before morning!  Stay safe.  Running can wait.  ;)

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galaxigrl, thank you, you're so sweet!! :) I love your positive attitude about being kinder to yourself!! I think an aquarium is an awesome date night, so glad you guys got to go do that! Sometimes getting out/away is just what you need to refresh your attitude.

Ramonax, I'm with jen; I completely follow your way of thinking, and I think it makes total sense. It's hard not to get frustrated when you feel like, "Crap, I can't go out, because I can't eat anything." But really, we CAN eat whatever we want, it's just up to us to decide how we want to eat based on how it will make us feel afterward. I think it sounds like you have a good handle on it!

jen, I love the non-food reward idea, too!! This sounds like an amazing way to treat yourself and be good to yourself without having to pay for it later. :)

ksea, thank you for the support, too!! And again for all the suggestions. I've never tried Japanese or Chinese eggplant, I wonder if the Whole Foods would have it! I'm looking for another excuse to head out there; it's closer than the other one, but it's still a 20 minute drive and I can't justify driving a 40 minute round trip just to grab a few things. :P

Good luck getting started on the running!!

I decided I would just let the jacket issue slide because I'm so new and I really don't want to make waves so early into a new job and become known as "that" person who made a stink. I just won't wear it, but if something else comes up about my wardrobe, I made sure to document this one and I will bring it up and not back down. In the meantime, I'm being sickeningly sweet to everyone I work with to let them know their sad attempt to tear me down won't work. ;)

Also, I do hope no one gets eaten by a bear. :P

Hi everyone!  It's been quiet on here for the last day or so.  I was so busy at work yesterday that I just didn't get a chance to catch up on the posts.  Hope everyone is having a good Friday!  I'm sooo tired as I write this.  I usually get a bit of a tired slump in the afternoon, but today is so much worse than usual.  I went out to see Amy Schumer with some of my friends last night, so I ended up going to be like 1-1.5 hours later than normal.  Then my son woke up a few times overnight, so I just didn't get that much sleep.  I don't know how I did it when he was younger, and I was getting up multiple times/night!  I miss my sleep!  Plus, he's sick, so I have to leave work early today to take him to the doctor.  He's had fevers and a cough on and off for a bit, and he's had some labored breathing.  I hope it's nothing serious!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hi everyone!  It's been quiet on here for the last day or so.  I was so busy at work yesterday that I just didn't get a chance to catch up on the posts.  Hope everyone is having a good Friday!  I'm sooo tired as I write this.  I usually get a bit of a tired slump in the afternoon, but today is so much worse than usual.  I went out to see Amy Schumer with some of my friends last night, so I ended up going to be like 1-1.5 hours later than normal.  Then my son woke up a few times overnight, so I just didn't get that much sleep.  I don't know how I did it when he was younger, and I was getting up multiple times/night!  I miss my sleep!  Plus, he's sick, so I have to leave work early today to take him to the doctor.  He's had fevers and a cough on and off for a bit, and he's had some labored breathing.  I hope it's nothing serious!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I hope your son is alright!  Poor little guy.  :(  It's so hard when they're sick and you just want answers.  As for sleep, I think it's easier when they're younger because you expect to be awakened during the night.  But when you're used to getting full nights sleep, expect to get full nights sleep, and then suddenly it's interrupted, it's harder to recover from.  Sending wishes for him to be well soon!

Galaxigrl, thank you, you're so sweet!! :) I love your positive attitude about being kinder to yourself!! I think an aquarium is an awesome date night, so glad you guys got to go do that! Sometimes getting out/away is just what you need to refresh your attitude.

Ramonax, I'm with jen; I completely follow your way of thinking, and I think it makes total sense. It's hard not to get frustrated when you feel like, "Crap, I can't go out, because I can't eat anything." But really, we CAN eat whatever we want, it's just up to us to decide how we want to eat based on how it will make us feel afterward. I think it sounds like you have a good handle on it!

jen, I love the non-food reward idea, too!! This sounds like an amazing way to treat yourself and be good to yourself without having to pay for it later. :)

ksea, thank you for the support, too!! And again for all the suggestions. I've never tried Japanese or Chinese eggplant, I wonder if the Whole Foods would have it! I'm looking for another excuse to head out there; it's closer than the other one, but it's still a 20 minute drive and I can't justify driving a 40 minute round trip just to grab a few things. :P

Good luck getting started on the running!!

I decided I would just let the jacket issue slide because I'm so new and I really don't want to make waves so early into a new job and become known as "that" person who made a stink. I just won't wear it, but if something else comes up about my wardrobe, I made sure to document this one and I will bring it up and not back down. In the meantime, I'm being sickeningly sweet to everyone I work with to let them know their sad attempt to tear me down won't work. ;)

Also, I do hope no one gets eaten by a bear. :P

Sounds like you have a good approach to the jacket incident.  I'm glad you have such a positive outlook and hopefully some of that will rub off on your coworkers!  ;)

I need to join Backsliders Anonymous.  I've allowed sugar back in this past week and the dragon is fully awake, energized, and on the prowl.  Argh.  I'm still arguing with myself over whether I was "testing the waters" to see what my limits are or if I was self-sabotaging.  Either way, it doesn't matter and would just be an excuse.  When will we learn?  That was asked a few posts ago and for me, I still have so far to go.  After I caved to the munchies and ate a snack of mini-marshmallows and M&Ms last night, I woke with a vicious headache today.  It's 3pm and I'm finally going to take something for it.  I've let myself live with the pain as punishment and to get it through my thick skull that those stupid so-called foods aren't worth it.  Now it's time to give myself some grace, even though I still feel really grouchy and my ears are ringing and a hammer to the forehead would feel pretty good about now.   :angry:  

katieblue,

I am still mad about the "jacket incident," but proud of you that you are being the "bigger person" and letting it go.  Kill them with kindness!  I bet after your new co-workers get to know you, they will love you as much as we do!   :)

jen c,

I need to join you in the Backsliders Anonymous!  I have been really bad this week.  Probably because we are starting our 2nd W30 on Sunday, so I am indulging a little too much this week.  Yesterday I actually took my daughter to Dairy Queen and had a blizzard.  And I've been helping myself to a glass (or 2 or 3) of wine in the evening  lately.  I have found out since my first W30 that I need to back off the pasta and beans.  I've had them a few times  post W30, and have felt really bloated and gassy.  I'm looking forward to reading "It Starts with Food," but have been so busy at work that I haven't had a chance to start reading it.  I'm interested in the "science" of why certain foods that seem healthy (like beans or wheat products) are not allowed on W30.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  My 16 year-old is going to Prom tomorrow (with a senior!)  

Wendy

Wendy, I think you're right about indulging a bit in anticipation of round 2.  That's pretty much what I've done the last 5 days - 2 fancy coffees, 2 Enjoy Life chocolate bars, and those awful marshmallows and M&Ms.  Still mad at myself but it's over and done with and I need to just take a deep breath and move on.

Are you going to join another thread with a group that's starting on May 1st?  I've read through some of the threads that have begun, but haven't decided yet if I'll join any or not.  My hubby has backed off of his commitment a bit and says he's only going to cut dairy and sugar.  He's not been having the digestive issues like I was, so doesn't seem to have quite the incentive to go whole hog.  Anything is better than nothing, but I'll still being going mostly solo at home.  Are any of your kids doing it this time around?

Galaxigrl, I hope your son is feeling better by now! It must be a really hard part of being a parent to have such a fragile little person not feeling well and not being able to do anything to make them feel better. How old is he now? And what’s his name? (Now that we know ksea’s, I feel like we should know everybody’s!)

How was Amy Schumer?! I love her, she’s so fabulous!! Sounds like you have a really fabulous social life down there! But I can see how it can be challenging to stay Whole30! Although going to a show is a great non-food idea.

Jen, oh no!! I’m sorry your dragon woke up, but again, that’s why she’s a dragon, not a kitten. They’re definitely hard to slay – probably impossible, really, and more just something that we have to learn to keep sedated. I hope that you’re feeling better by now and everything has cycled out without a hammer being involved. (Hammers and bears – we’re getting aggressive here?!)

Definitely try not to be too hard on yourself; the fact is that you’re aware of what went wrong, and that means you’re still fighting the battle, and not giving up. And that’s what this is all about. :)

You girls also have a really good point about indulging before going in – I did that with the first Whole30 (I literally ate SO much I wound up in the ER on the morning of the first day because my stomach was in so much pain). It does make sense because it’s sometimes hard to wrestle with the mindset of feeling like you “can’t” have things when you really are choosing not to have them. But it does definitely feel restrictive sometimes.

Wendy, I’m still mad, too, but I’m trying to keep it classy! Thank you again for being so sweet, I just adore you!!

And how exciting about prom!! Do you like said senior date?? I hope they have a blast!!

And yes, this is Day 30 for ksea and me!! We’re on the very last day of our second Whole 30!! I’ll definitely be weighing in with my NSV’s tomorrow, but honestly, I think the biggest one might be that I actually don’t really feel a need to weigh myself. I’m curious to see where I am, and a little nervous that I may have gained more, but ultimately, I don’t really care. I feel like I look good, and physically, I feel good, in spite of allergies attacking me and being so tired from the full-time job.

Speaking of that, I survived my first week!! Woohoo!! And I’m feeling really strong and independent and like I’m an actual adult (I’m turning 26 and most of my friends are all financially independent with big people jobs, and it’s nice to feel like I’m on the same level as them). Also, my mother is a super toxic individual (as may have been evidenced by my over-eating every time I’m around her) and I FINALLY don’t have to rely on her for financial help now. In fact, her response to my getting this job was how happy she was that I’ll be paying for stuff on my own now and she will help me make a budget if I want – but of course she expects that Rob will help me (because she doesn’t actually want to, she’s just doing what moms are “supposed” to do by offering). And it feels amazing to not feel like I rely on her for anything, because now she has nothing to hold over my head anymore. So even though the job is hard because it’s stressful and my coworkers are nasty, it does come with really good things. :D

Also, we made tacos with my dad and stepmom last night and that was amazing, as usual. They are fantastic people and my stepmom made me cry because she made me feel so loved. So there are so many good, positive things going on! Tonight we have taco leftovers, with pico de gallo, homemade guac, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, olives, and sides of some caramelized plantains and sautéed peppers, onions, and portobellos! Rob is eating the corn shells but I’m having mine in lettuce wraps and quite frankly they are so delicious I don’t even remotely miss the corn ones! Tomorrow we’re making ribs with ksea’s blueberry BBQ sauce recipe, which I am so so stoked for!!

Whew, sorry for the novel! I can't get on here during work anymore, so I feel like I have so much to catch up on when I finally get around to it!

jen c,

I haven't looked into any of the groups starting tomorrow.  I thought I would be more prepared this time around, but other than buying some compliant salad dressings, I feel really unprepared.  I've just been so busy with work and family stuff that I haven't even made my store list yet or planned any meals yet.  Only my husband is joining me.  Our kids are all teenagers or in their twenties, and no one wants to cut out sugar! Our 14 year-old does eat fairly healthy, so she did eat some of the W30 meals last time, like the spaghetti squash w/tomato sauce, and liked it.  

katieblue,

I adore you as well!  :) Yes, I do like my daughter's prom date. They are going in a big group of friends, so it's all good.  Unfortunately, the weather here stinks today.  Last weekend it was sunny and beautiful, it's chilly and rainy here with no end in sight.  They were supposed to take pictures outside, so that had to be moved indoors.  

I hope your second week of work goes better and the co-workers are less nasty.  Makes me want to go up there and set 'em straight!   :angry:

Wendy

Ramonax - Thanks for the tip on the Couch to 5k apps!

I hear you on the bear concerns.  A local fisherwoman was attacked by a griz a few years back, she had some pretty awful injuries.  She was on a trail on an area known for having lots of bears, and her dog basically led the bear right to her.  :unsure: I usually carry mace and a bear bell, but feel a lot more comfortable when my hubby comes along with a gun.  I have a couple of routes in mind that are in town, that I could possibly start on in the morning while it's quiet.

galaxigrl - I hope your son is feeling better.  I agree with jen c about becoming adapted to their sleep patterns.  My little guy has been waking up 1-3 times a night for the past week or so, and I became used to it pretty quickly (but last night he slept the whole night through, and I felt like Cinderella when I woke up, with birds chirping around me).  He seemed like his gums were hurting him, because he would calm down when I rubbed them lightly, and didn't want to be put down until he was in super deep sleep.  Yesterday I noticed one of the bumps was sharp!  I can't tell if it broke the skin or not?  I can't get a good look at it.  It makes me both happy and sad that my little baby is growing up!  Do any of you with kids ever feel that way??

Also, Amy Schumer!  :lol: Love her.

My scoby is looking good, it's maybe 1/8 inch thick.  I was talking to my MIL about it, and one of her friends brews kombucha and she's going to give me one of her scobys too.  I will continue growing mine and see how it performs, though!

katieblue - Happy Day 30!!!  I also like the way you are handling the jacket incident.  Like I've said before, you have a good head on your shoulders.  I'm glad you are starting to feel empowered and independent, keep focusing on the positive when things start to feel tough!

Sounds like your coworkers better watch out, or all your W30 friends are going to march in and make them sorry they messed with you!  :D

Let me know how your ribs turn out!   :)  I have some rib steaks cooking low and slow for dinner too. 

I decided to start reintroductions, instead of continuing on with eating fully compliant.  I figure I will be compliant on those non-reintro days anyway, and if not now, when?  I will try one new thing a week, and break it down into things that I would want to occasionally indulge in, like soy (sauce), and rice.  But I still plan on eating mostly paleo going forward, and still use the W30 meal template.

And someone gave us a gallon of homemade wine, which I would love to try.  Planning on having glass tomorrow night.  :P

I've been loving Well Fed / 2.  I made the Merguez, Lebanese, and Ras el Hanout spice blends, and have been using them on veggies and eggs.  Yum!  I also made Rogan Josh yesterday, and it turned out awesome!  Hubby especially liked it.  The Zingy Ginger Dressing was a big hit too.

Wendy, don't stress too much; I didn't do much prep for this round of Whole 30, either! You can always throw some stuff together pretty easily, like chicken or veggies or something with whatever seasonings you happen to have on hand. :) The only thing I prepped in advance was the breakfast sausage, but if you're eating non-traditional breakfast foods, no need to worry about that, either.

I hope they still have an amazing time at prom in spite of the rain!! :) And thank you! <3 Some day I will be able to get the last laugh when I become a librarian and make more money than any of them and actually have jobs to do besides checking in and checking out materials. ;)

Ksea, happy day 30 to you, too!! And thank you for making me smile, you girls are fantastic! :D And rib steaks are a great choice for a day 30 meal! We had tacos tonight, but I made the blueberry BBQ sauce while I was generating a ton of food prep (and the sides, potato salad and the pineapple broccoli slaw). It was REALLY yummy! I followed your advice and added some date paste in place of the honey, and extra cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. I only put in half the onion and I'm glad I did because it's really onion-y! But the blueberry-ness is to die for. :) I'll let you know how it is on the ribs!!

I think your reintroduction plan sounds really reasonable and good! At least you can start to sort out what foods you can have without consequence and which ones might make you feel not so great. I also plan on eating with the template; I don't think I'll be eating any grains regularly, glutenous or non, and definitely don't plan on introducing dairy as a part of the everyday rotation. I like being able to eat a lot of food and feel satisfied and not have to feel bad!!
I may just have to buy those cook books as my congratulations on my big girl salary present to myself... all of the spices and food sound amazing!

Can't wait to hear all your NSV's! :)

Is it weird that I actually miss being able to cook?? I feel like while I was stressed after spending 4 hours in the kitchen today prepping for today and tomorrow, we have food for the week (once the ribs are done tomorrow) and it's GOOD stuff. But all week I felt like it was so frantic coming home from work and getting homework done, we just survived on leftovers. I used to cook like 4 times a week, but now I feel like I will only have time on the weekends. :(

It's May 1st!! Congratulations, Ksea! We did it!!!! :)

I'm so excited, we completed our second Whole 30!!!

Me - the former depressed, restricting then binge-eating, self-destructive sugar addict. I managed to take really good care of myself and turn so many of the patterns around for sixty [nonconsecutive] days. That is awesome. AWESOME! I feel PROUD of myself. Especially because during this one I had such a crazy upheaval of changing jobs into full-time employment and full-time school demanding constant attention and somehow I still managed to make it through. :)

Curiosity did get the better of me, so I did get on the scale when I woke up... and I lost two pounds this round! By eating as much good food as I wanted!! My body must be starting to regulate itself and get used to having enough food again, which is a HUGE NSV, and brings me to my list:

Non-Scale Victories:

- Got into an almost automatic routine of cooking prep with real life, including schoolwork, and found it is totally manageable [albeit difficult, it can happen!]

- Swallowed my pride and asked my boyfriend to help with food shopping, and he was happy to [read: improved my trust in him/our relationship]

- My boyfriend and my therapist both agreed that my mood has completely stabilized - I haven't had a "down" day in so long, in spite of all the stress!

- No snacking whatsoever. Not once.

- I only had one night where I felt cravings to binge, and I didn't do it!

- Control over my [occasional, fleeting] cravings. What used to be daily sugar cravings has become maybe once or twice a week, and they are so brief. I don't miss sweets or want dessert. It's my birthday on Friday and I don't want a cake. The dragon is sedated!!

- I discovered kombucha, and that when I have it with a meal it does not affect the sugar dragon, and it is DELICIOUS!

- On that note, I also found several more amazing, easy recipes that will go in the rotation and kept the freezer stocked!!

- I stopped counting calories!!! Even in my head. I have no idea how many I eat in a day. And that feels so freeing!!

- I didn't even want to get on the scale after the first week or so. I really, sincerely have stopped caring what I weigh.

- A sincere, heartfelt desire to continue eating this way and caring for myself.

- Even with allergy headaches and no sleep and anxiety over everything, the rest of my body physically feels great!!!

- Confidence!!! Not only do I feel strong and capable because I managed to do this twice, but I FEEL like I LOOK good, too!! I actually took a picture of my "after" results and sent it to my gym buddy. I haven't let anyone see my stomach in I can't remember how long!!

I am so glad we did this for another round!!

I will be eating Whole 30 until Wednesday, when I will reintroduce corn in the form of tortilla chips at a restaurant, and we'll see how my self-control is with this former FWNB while in a happy birthday gathering at a Mexican restaurant with my boyfriend, my good friend and her husband. I don't think I want to try corn tortillas or anything, I just want to eat a few chips and see how I feel, and I think if I only have them when I go out to dinner occasionally and they don't affect me in a negative way, that would be a totally "worth it" happy medium. :) I think I can do it!!

Please share your victories, too!! :)

Katie, congratulations!! I'm really proud of you too. You stuck with it through the chaos in your life, and look at all those great NSV's you have to show for it!  It is super inspiring how your commitment to take care of yourself is paying off.  :)  

I'm glad that Blueberry BBQ sauce turned out for you!  

I can't believe how fast this round went by for me.  I lost almost 5 pounds, and at least an inch off most of my measurements!  

Here are some of my NSV's:

- Instead of living to eat, now I also eat to live.  I used to choose my food based only on how much (short-term) pleasure it would give me.  Now I feel like the choices I have been making are not only crazy delicious, but are ultimately beneficial to my health in the long run.  

- My relationship with food has drastically changed.  If I do snack, I am very mindful about it.  I will wait 20-30 minutes, have some water or tea, and decide if I still need something.  When I do snack, it is something like a HB egg, some fish, or a few slurps of coconut milk  :P and I don't need to keep coming back for more!

- I don't miss the sugar high at all.  Or the sugar crashes for that matter.

- I have been making 1-3 sugary treats a week, and have been able to resist them no problem.  Even batter/dough on spoons, my old favorite!

- My husband has been analyzing how food is affecting him.  He is realizing how much more energy he has when he doesn't consume a bunch of bread or ice cream.  All with no preaching from my end, just feeding him compliant meals, with non-compliant components when he asks for it.  Now he is savoring a single serving of ice cream instead of going back for a second or third giant bowl.

- A few years back, I started this thing where I would make something I've never tried before at least once a week.  It quickly became a reason to eat lots of sugary treats.  Now I've been experimenting with lots of new savory flavors, with new experiments a couple of times a week.

- I feel like I am setting up a great foundation not only for myself, but my whole family.  My son loves to watch me cook, and sits with us during meals and watches us like a hawk.  Now that he's about to start eating food too, I want to lead by example and teach him good habits.

- I have more mental clarity.  I have started several sewing and knitting projects, whereas before I could not commit to anything on account of feeling overwhelmed and foggy headed.  While I've always been fairly organized, I'm more likely to tackle things head on.

- I can't remember a time where I've felt more confident overall.

- I can't believe how much energy I have. No more morning/afternoon/evening slump, reaching for another cup of coffee or sugary treat.  I caught myself drinking more coffee at one point this round, but have since cut it back to occasionally a small cup with breakfast, or savoring a cup with my husband on Sunday mornings.

- I am so amazed with how satiated I feel between meals, I want to continue to eat this way as much as possible.  I realize that as I start reintroducing different foods, I may struggle to not revert to old habits.  I will remind myself of how amazing I feel after these 2 rounds of W30.  This is the beginning of a long journey.  My sugar dragon may awaken again someday, but now that I know that it is possible tame her.  Looking forward, I know what steps I need to take in order to quiet the beast.  

- I have never given myself this much respect.  The best way to take care of my family is to start with taking care of myself.  :wub:

I know I will likely think of more NSV's later, like in bed or the shower.   :)

Ksea, congratulations on all those amazing NSV's!! It sounds like you have really uncovered a deep respect for yourself and appreciation for wanting to care for yourself - and of course, for your family! It's incredible how much personal growth can happen from just 60 [nonconsecutive] days of changing our eating habits. I am so impressed with all the hard work you've done.

Those of you who started yesterday -- how are you doing? :)

Ramonax, thank you!! <3 I FEEL awesome!!

Hi all.  Thanks for asking about Chase (that's my son, and he was 19 months old yesterday).  He's doing just fine.  Turns out he only had a little virus (fever), and the cough is just post nasal drip, even though it sounds terrible!  He hasn't had a fever since Thursday night, and his cough is much better!  Yesterday he had his first dentist appt, and he was SO good!  Not at all what I was expecting!

jen: You sound just like me with your headache.  When I would get a headache from drinking too much the night before, sometimes I would suffer through it as punishment.

Wendy: How did prom go?

katie: Amy Schumer was sooo funny!  Loved the show!  It is REALLY hard to mostly keep to Whole30 living here, and April seemed to have so many food outings!  My girlfriends and I did get take-out before the show at my house, and I didn't stick to W30, but I think I ate really well considering.

I'm so happy that you have financial independence from your mom, and you survived your first week at the new job!  You are doing so great!  My friend is having a similar situation at work where a co-worker questioned her work to one of our managers, who then asked my friend if she had enough to do.  I think the co-worker is jealous that my friend started at our company a year ago, and she's doing great things (because she's gone after them and worked hard).  The co-worker takes as many, if not more, breaks as we do.  I think she's just a bitter, jealous person.  It's a shame.

I'm reading about your tacos, and they're making me hungry!  I need to try those in lettuce wraps with the plantains.  Sounds so yummy!

I think it's really funny that you missed cooking!  Especially you!  Ha ha.  I bet you never thought you'd say that!

ksea: Almost every day I tell my husband that I'm sad that Chase is growing up.  It happens SO fast!  I found out at the dentist yesterday that his first molars are coming in, and I was able to see them on the bottom.  He's getting SOOOOOO big!

I'm so excited about your scobys.  I can't wait to hear how your first attempt at kombucha turns out!

ksea and katie: Congrats on finishing your second W30!!!  Woo hoo!  And great job on the NSVs!  They are SO inspiring!  Also, can you share that blueberry BBQ sauce recipe again?  I thought I saved it, but I can't find it.

I love coming to this board and hearing all the positive things!  Especially when things at work are a little tense, like they are now.  

By the way, my real name is Colleen.  I don't think I've ever told y'all that.  Galaxigrl is a username that goes back all the way to the AOL messenger days.  Just kept using it. 

ksea, that is an AMAZING list of NSVs!!  So insightful and full of depth, and sounding like you have good plans in place as you move forward.  Good for you!

katie, your NSV list is equally as impressive!!  The parts that really stood out were about trusting others, scale freedom, and the strong desire to care for yourself.  Your progress is AWESOME!! 

galaxigrl, it's good to hear your son is feeling better and that he did so well at his first dental appt.  What a trooper!  I question all the time how the time goes so quickly.  It's a weird balance to celebrate their new discoveries and milestones while protecting the memories of babyhood in your heart. 

I began round 2 on Sunday and it's going great so far.  My husband isn't really joining me.  He's changed his goal to just eliminating sugar and decreasing dairy down to 1 cup of milk a day.  But he said the juice he had at lunch yesterday had sugar in it and he didn't read the label until after drinking it.  Overall he'd like to increase his veggie intake, which has been a goal for many years.  He'll do things in baby steps but won't fully join in, and that's alright because anything is better than nothing.  He's so supportive of my choices and I'll support him in his.  :)

I had a doctor appt. yesterday for a biometrics screening.  I'm really curious to get my results back and compare my cholesterol, glucose, etc. with my numbers from last year.  The blood draw will also check for antibodies for gluten, and then I have an appt with my allergist next week to be tested for wheat.  I'm hoping that once I get some definitive answers and a proper diagnosis, that my mind will begin to settle in better into this new restriction and I'll be able to start moving forward and begin feeling some confidence for post-W30 eating without wheat.  My brain is still out the window on all of that.  :unsure:

Colleen! So nice to meet you!! :) Haha. I'm so glad to hear that Chase is feeling better, and that he was so good at the dentist!! Hell, I'm not even well behaved at the dentist! Lol.

I'm sorry your friend is dealing with a crap situation at work, too - it's such a shame that positive, upbeat and hard working people have to work with people who are just miserable and just putting in their time. We could have SUCH amazing, fabulous work places if we all did things we loved and were passionate about. In a perfect world, I guess. But again, thank you so much for the support, you are just wonderful. :)  I'm really happy you had a good time at Amy Schumer and that you felt like you ate well! I know that Melissa has done some writing on the subject of why the Whole 30 is not supposed to be something we can sustain for the rest of our lives, so I think it's important to be able to make choices that we feel good about that aren't Whole 30, too. I'm feeling a little bit of apprehension about reintroductions myself, honestly, because I'm afraid of that food guilt creeping back in again.

Here's the blueberry BBQ sauce recipe! It was good when I tasted it on its own, but it was AMAZING cooked onto the ribs. We're having the leftovers tonight and I'm ssssooo excited. And I have some pulled chicken I'll be tossing in the leftover sauce; it made more than I needed for one rack of ribs!! And DEFINITELY try the plantains on the tacos; it was ssssooooo yummy!! I did taco meat, Cholua hot sauce, sliced plantains, black olives, and guac. I did pico de gallo on one too but I think you taste the plantains more without it!

jen, thank you for the congrats!! I love having you ladies here to report back to about all of this. You're so encouraging and positive, like Galaxigrl/Colleen said! :D

Congratulations to you too on starting your second round! I think it's awesome that your husband is getting at least a little bit involved, and that he supports you! I know a lot of my friends were like, "Ok, tell me when you're fun again" or something along those lines when I told them about this, but having your partner be on board is ssssooo important.

I'll be curious to see what your numbers are after a Whole30, too!!

And I hope that everything goes well with the allergist, and you can find some peace of mind with the wheat issue.

I'm doing my first reintroduction tomorrow! I'm really super slow-rolling, so I'm reintro-ing corn, in the form of tortilla chips, at this amazing little Mexican restaurant with one of my best friends and her husband. I'm excited to see them (I haven't had much of a social life except one date night per week with my boyfriend since the quarter started) and excited to wear the birthday sombrero!! :)

Hi, girls!  It's been a hectic couple of days, but I'm now on Day 3 of my second W30.  Of course, with it being Teacher Appreciation week, the PTO had yummy looking wraps available at lunch yesterday, with salad with lots of cheese sprinkled on it.  (sigh) They almost never provide us lunch, but of course when they do I can't partake. Then today our principal had a sundae bar for us to enjoy after lunch.  Once again, I passed.  Funny how there were no extra treats when I could actually have them!  Ok, I'm done whining... I do think the temptation to cheat is less this time around.  I keep thinking, "I can do this, is having ice cream really worth it?" etc. 

Prom went well for my daughter, thanks Colleen and katieblue! I took a ton of pictures. of course.  

Congratulations katieblue and ksea for completing your 2nd W30!  You girls have great NSV's and I'm so glad you're feeling so well and confident.  

I'm going to have to try that blueberry Bbq sauce!  I love blueberries. I finally found a solution to not enjoying my black tea w/no sugar.  I put a regular teabag of black tea, then another teabag of blueberry herbal tea (i have the Celestial Seasonings brand).  It gives the tea just the right amount of sweetness.  

katieblue, is it your birthday tomorrow?  If so, Happy Birthday, and enjoy your Mexican dinner!  :)

Wendy

Wendy, congrats on Day 3 of your second round!! Sorry you had to miss out on the wraps/cheese, but I'm so proud of you for resisting them. We can appreciate you as a teacher without giving you food that might make you feel crappy! ;) I definitely can understand, though, on the second to last day of mine, we had a party for my coworker and generally I can't eat much at these things anyway because of being gluten free, but they actually had a ton of amazing looking salads that were gluten free like a chicken salad and a broccoli bacon salad but I had to pass and I was like oh come on, we have done this all of two times since I started working here a year ago and one has to be now!?

My birthday is actually on Friday, but we are going out with my friends tonight basically just so I can wear that sombrero. My boyfriend and I are going to dinner and see Civil War on Friday night! :) And next week my dad and stepmom are having us over for dinner. I always wind up having several little birthday celebrations because I don't like big crowds so I just spend time with smaller groups! Lol. But thank you!!! :)

wendy, congrats on a strong start!  :)   I agree that the temptation this time around is a little less so far and for me, I think it's because the results from round 1 were so pronounced.  It gives me a lot of motivation to be good and not cave when I think about non-compliant things.

A while back there was talk of doing a Whole 9.  Is anyone still interested in that?  I need to look at the list of monthly focuses again. 

You definitely don't need the cheese or sour cream to enjoy Whole 30 Mexican food!! :D I didn't miss it at all during our last round of homemade lettuce wrapped tacos! Those "nachos" look delightful!!

And I'd be up for talking about a Whole 9 still!

Archived