Moving right along!

katieblue

Hi ladies!  :wub:

I know I’ve been MIA for quite a while, but I wanted to drop in and say hi!!  Looks like I’ve missed a LOT!

Star Wars BBQ!  I wish I could've been there!  Sounds like a blast.  That tropical sweet potato salad looks so incredible!  On my must-make list!

Sounds like Myrtle Beach was also amazing.  One of these years I would love to visit the East Coast.

I usually dress my salads simply like that too (I'll use vinegar and/or lemon juice), and sometimes if I want a creamy dressing, I just dollop on some W30 mayo instead of oil (but still add an acid and seasonings) and mix it all together! Yum!!  :P

I’ve been having a great summer.  The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and Gregorio and I have been out and about as often as we can.  Gregorio is almost 9 months old now.  Nine months!  He’s over 26 pounds now, and is starting to get mobile.  Army crawls really good, and he’s just now starting to lift his body off the ground and figuring out how to crawl on his knees.  He can stand with support, and is learning to step (wide steps like a cowboy!).  His 2 top teeth, not in the middle, but the next set out, came out first, so he looks like a vampire when he laughs!

I’ve been eating fairly clean, but I’ve definitely let my sugar dragon out to roam a few times!  I realized that when I get restless legs at night, that it is caused by consuming excess sugar (I’ve always thought it was from too much salt).  And I can feel the effects the next day, with inflammation and stiffness.  I feel like while I am staying pretty mindful about what I’m eating, I still need to figure out what foods are truly “worth it”.  

My husband has been having a decent fishing season.  It hasn’t been the amazing season we were hoping for, but he hasn’t gone backwards during any of the fishing periods (was able to pay for fuel and make some $).  He was away from home for a solid month (he came into town for a couple nights over the 4th of July weekend to supply up), but he’s home now, working on the house.  Red salmon season is pretty much over, so we’re counting on pink and silver salmon now!

A woman that I worked with for years opened up a food truck this summer, and I was going to bake for her part time.  Well my husband’s family threw a hissy fit and guilt tripped my husband into making me quit.  They bought a food trailer for my brother-in-law a few years back.  I was going to bake for my brother-in-law as well, and he kept saying he would come talk to me about it, but never did.  Every morning I would try to communicate with him, either he was sleeping in hungover or his crew was late because they stayed out partying the night before too.  He also abuses drugs and alcohol, so I figured it wasn’t a good environment to invest my time and effort into.  Anyways, my husbands family acted like I was trying to hurt them by doing something I love (baking!) with a woman who I also love (her parents were best friends with my in-laws, and are my husband’s and brother-in-law’s god parents!).  They were saying some really awful things about me and the woman I was going to work for.  Too much drama for me.

Have you guys heard about something called unschool?  It's like homeschooling, but more child-driven.  I just learned about it recently, and am doing more research on it.  While we will probably send Gregorio to conventional school, my husband and I both love the concept of unschooling too.  I'd love to hear your opinions on it!

I’ll come back and check in with you ladies later, looks like the little man is waking up from his nap!!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!  I hadn't even realized it's been a week and a half since I posted on here.  My weekend in the NC mountains was really nice.  It was MUCH cooler in the evenings.  You almost needed a sweater!  That's a far cry from the 90 degrees/105 heat index at 7 pm here!  This was the hottest July on record in Charleston, but the temps are supposed to get back to normal this week.  Yay for low 90s!  My husband is going to be travelling on and off for work through the end of October.  This is his first week away, and I was SO nervous about taking care of my son by myself (btw, he turned 22 months today!).  Knock on wood, things have been going really well.  Going to sleep has been rough for him/us since maybe the beginning of May, but yesterday I put him in his crib, and he was asleep after 1-2 minutes of crying.  It was like Christmas in August at my house!

Wendy, having a condo right on the beach would be really, really nice.  I love hearing the waves and smelling the ocean air.  You can't beat it!  The warmth of the water here is something I like most of the time, but it can also get to a point where you're super hot on the beach, and it's not even refreshing going in the water.  I grew up going to the Jersey shore, where I don't think the water temp gets much about 75 (you probably know better, Katie!).  So, it's a huge change living in Charleston.  I think our water temp right now is maybe 90?  Or close to it!  I went to the Jersey Shore last August, and the water felt SO COLD to me.  I don't know how I used to go in it!  I'm so jealous of your week vacation.  I really need one of those.  We always end up doing long weekends, which I like, too.  But sometimes it's nice to have an extended period of time off.

Katie, I love that Rob's friends are foodies and like making fun drinks.  I really wish we lived closer :)!  All of your get-togethers sound so great!  That's awesome that you've been able to really cut back on sugar.  I do well some days, but most days I'm still craving something sweet after lunch/dinner.  It's amazing how easily it is to slip back into old habits.  I'm glad you were able to enjoy most of your weekend.  Was Luke Bryan amazing???  He's such a cutie!  Your recipes sound great!  This is a dumb question, but did you put the glaze on the steak after you grilled it?  I would love to try that.

Ksea, so glad to hear you're doing well!  We missed you!  I can't believe Gregorio is already 9 months old!  (Also can't believe Chase is almost 2!)  That drama with your husband's family just sounds terrible and stressful.  Are they normally like that, or did this all come out of the blue?  I'm sorry you're not going to get to bake for the food truck.  It sounds like it would have been a great thing for you.  The baked goods you've posted about always sound so mouth watering.  I haven't heard anything about unschooling, but it sounds like an interesting concept.

I made these awesome sweet potato noodles last week for dinner.  Definitely something I'll be making many, many more times!  i love cashews, but I was very hesitant about the cashew sauce, but it was soooo good!

Hey, Ksea! So good to hear from you!! :)

If you ever do come to the East Coast, definitely pop in and say hi while you’re here!

So happy that your summer has been going well – it’s crazy that Gregorio is so old now! He’ll be a whole year before you know it! I can’t even imagine what it’s like to watch him grow, especially while he’s still so tiny. The growth must happen so much faster at that age!

It’s crazy that your husband was away for such a large chunk of time fishing – I feel like living the life I do, I don’t even think that there are still people out there who live so differently and work that way instead! I’m glad that he’s been doing well enough, and that he’s home again with you and the little one! It must be hard to take care of a baby all by yourself!

I’m sorry about the family drama, too… It’s so unfair when people pull guilt trips. Especially if you tried your best to make it happen and it was his fault, not yours, that it didn’t work out!  I feel like you are such an amazing baker and you should be sharing your talent with everyone. I sort of want to punch your husband’s family in the face. But I have a little temper, and I also adore you, so don’t mind me. :)

I’ve never heard of unschool, but it’s definitely something I’ll need to look into if it’s an up-and-coming idea, if I plan to work in the Children’s department once I’m a librarian!

Colleen, happy month-birth-day to Chase! Haha. I hope everything continues going well with him!!

Also, you’re totally right about the water never getting warm here – the best we get is in the 70’s, and it generally always feels cold, anyway. But it’s okay because Jersey water is filthy and nobody really wants to swim in it unless they’re kids and don’t know any better. :P

I wish we all lived closer, too! We could throw some totally amazing food parties!

Luke Bryan was TOTALLY amazing, he was so much fun and had so much energy!! Even Rob had a really good time!

And I glazed the steak for the last four minutes of grilling. Two minutes on one side, two minutes on the other, with the heat cranked up to really caramelize it. It turned out a little runny for me, but I’m still a beginner with grilling!

Hey, ladies!  ksea, it was great to hear from you!  Hard to believe Gregorio is getting so big!  I love that age, they are beginning to be more mobile, but can't talk back yet.  :) Sorry to hear about the family drama, I'm like Katie and kind of want to punch them in the face!  

Katie,

I'm glad you had fun at the concerts.  If anyone deserves a break from school/work, it's you.  I've never been a big Luke Bryan fan (don't know why, everyone else seems to love him), but I have seen Dustin Lynch before when he opened for Keith Urban, and he was really good.  And I love Little Big Town.  

I actually don't feel too bad for eating non-compliant for a while.  I had a little bit of stomach pain, but that is normal for me whenever I travel.  I'm trying to do better now that we're home.  Today, I'm making a beef roast in the crock pot.  I hope it turns out ok, I feel like I haven't cooked a "real" meal in a while.  

You asked about my  new position.  I can talk about it now that it's "official."  :) I had been teaching 2nd grade last year (after spending most of my career so far in 1st grade).  I loved second grade, but there was an opening in my building for a Read 180 teacher.  It is a program for upper elementary-high school students who are struggling readers.  I will be providing reading/language arts instruction for 4th and 5th grade students (and possibly some 3rd graders) who test into the program.  I am looking forward to focusing on 2 subject areas, instead of having to plan for so many subjects as I did as a regular classroom teacher.  I will also have a smaller class size (none of my classes will be more than 21 students).  And I will have a lot more time to teach in small groups.  I'm excited, but a little nervous.  I have never taught students older than 2nd grade.  I had training for the new job on Monday and Tuesday, and am excited about the program.  I just have so much to do, though, as I need to pack up my current classroom, as I am moving to a new classroom in a modular!  I haven't even seen my new room yet, as the modulars weren't ready until the end of the school year, and I haven't been back to my building since June.  And due to the custodians not having the building ready yet, our principal asked us not to come in until  next week.  Due to our professional days before school starts on the 17th, I will have very few days to pack up and get my new classroom ready.  The good news is that I will not have students for at least the first couple of days, as they need to be tested first, so that gives me a little extra time.  Sorry to ramble, that's probably way more info that you needed!! 

Colleen, I hope you continue to have good luck with Chase's sleep schedule.  It can be stressful when the little ones don't sleep well, especially if you are the only parent there at the time.  I'm going to have to try those sweet potato noodles! Sound so yummy.

You know, Rob wasn't a huge fan of Luke Bryan either, but he had a lot of fun at the show, too! Haha. I just think he (like Dustin Lynch) is really high energy and a great performer and just a ton of fun. He and Little Big Town covered Let's Get it On, which was hysterical and awesome. Next weekend I have another concert lined up, I'm seeing Blink-182 for the first time since I think 2010 or 2011, so I'm excited to see them now - especially since they have Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio doing their vocals, which is one of my all-time favorite bands (when I'm not listening to country or metal, I'm also a huge punk/punk rock fan). And later in the month we are going to see Black Sabbath, which should be legendary also! So although I felt like I was cooped up doing homework most of the summer, I'm squeezing in some fun now in the last few weeks. :)

Good luck with your crock pot cooking! I hope it turns out well! We have been doing a ton of grilling steaks and burgers and turkey burgers currently since it's warm out, but once it gets colder I'll be rotating back to throwing meat in the crock pot and making it in bulk again.

And congratulations on the new job!! I can definitely see the perks to planning for just one or two subjects, as a student I can attest to it being WAY easier to learn and keep track of one or two classes as opposed to five like in my undergrad! You can really get a much more in-depth feel and understanding for them, which the students will definitely pick up on.

I can also see why you would be nervous, but I think 4th and 5th graders are still awesome to work with! They may actually be better in some ways because they have a greater capacity for knowledge and deeper investment in what they are learning. Plus, they'll totally love you - how could they not!?

Good luck to you on all the work you have to do  to get ready, it does sound like a mad scramble!! School starts on August 17th for you, not September?

Wow, Katie, I thought my music tastes were diverse, but you have me beat.  I haven't even heard of some of the groups you've mentioned!  Though I do know Black Sabbath.  :D I'm so glad you're taking some time for yourself since you've been working so hard at school and work.

Thanks for the congrats on the new job!  I am excited, and think although I'll miss my 2nd grade sweeties, there will be some advantages to teaching older students.  I love the fact that they'll be able to read higher level texts (though they will be struggling readers), and we can discuss and write about more complex topics than my 1st/2nd graders.  And I won't have any of my students longer than 90 min. a day, so if I have challenging ones behavior-wise, at least it won't be ALL day like in the younger grades.  It will be a mad scramble to get things ready, but it seems like it's always that way anyway.  This will be the 2nd year in a row that I've moved classrooms, so at least I did all my major throwing away of old stuff last year.  And I won't be moving some of my stuff that I used with the younger students, since it won't be needed, so I'll either leave some for the new teacher, or bring it home to store in the basement (which I'm sure Larry will absolutely LOVE).  :rolleyes: Teachers are huge packrats!!  And yes, our students start Aug. 17, but the teacher's first report day is Aug. 11th, though I'll be going in sooner than that for sure!   

I'm doing my best!! It's so hard, though... and I just signed up for 3 classes again in the Fall. :( I'm terrified. But if I don't take one more full-time quarter, then I have to stay in for an extra quarter for just one class.. and I just can't justify that.

I am really excited for you and this new job!! It sounds like there are a lot of positives to it!! :) (PS - does it come with a pay raise??)

I can't believe that you start so early in the year! I never started school until after labor day! No wonder you feel like your summer is over! My goodness.

I've been struggling again. :( I stepped on the stupid scale and I have gained another four pounds since the end of my last Whole30. I can't figure this out, but I'm so depressed. I thought I was doing right by my body, but I guess not so much. I made an appointment with a nutritionist for this upcoming Thursday to see if I can get some answers, and I'll be seeing the endocrinologist the following Thursday.

It's my dad's birthday on Sunday and I'm making him a carrot cake, and I'm literally really sad because I feel like I can't justify eating it with him while I weigh as much as I do. I have actually never been as heavy before as I am right now... :( I know weight doesn't really matter, but I don't look good, either... if I felt like I looked good, I could be okay with weighing more. But I don't. Ugh! This doesn't make sense!

It sounds like you are going to have a busy fall.  But I totally understand not wanting to do an extra quarter for just one class.  So when will you be completely done with grad school?

Thanks for sharing my excitement about the new job!  That's so sweet of you.   My husband is excited too, as I think that once the beginning of the year craziness is over, and I'm settled into the new year, I think I'll be spending less time planning and grading at home.  Time will tell, and I also found out that two of my friends are going to be located in the new "modular" with me, so that will be awesome as they will be great to work with.  Unfortunately, no pay raise, but if I'm going to love it as much as I anticipate, it'll be worth it.   :D

I'm so sorry that your weight keeps fluctuating on the wrong side of the scale, after all your dedication and hard work.  :( That makes me sad for you. (((((((sending hug your way)))))).  I'm glad you will be seeing a nutritionist and endocrinologist soon.  I hope they will have some answers and suggestions for you.  I don't want to be a bad influence, but I really feel you deserve a piece of carrot cake, with it being your dad's birthday, and the fact that you are making it, but of course you need to do what's best for you, and decide if it's worth it.  

Colleen, I hope all is going well with you and Chase!  I have a new respect for single mothers, with my hubby being away for a while too.  I was starting to get used to it, before he was gone for a month he was fishing closer to home and would be out for 2-3 days twice a week.  In May, when fishing started, Gregorio seemed to develop a kind of separation anxiety.  He would freak out if I walked away from him for a second, and would wake up in the middle of the night and not want to be put back in his crib.  He's been sleeping in bed with me since then.  Seems like he is extra clingy when a tooth is about to pop through, too.  Did Chase ever get have any separation anxiety?  I'm wondering if this is just a phase he'll get over.

Sounds like the temps have cooled off a little for you there?  Was it a humid kind of heat?  I feel like I'm melting when it hits 80 degrees here, must be my Eskimo blood!  :rolleyes:  

Unfortunately, the drama with my husbands family is nothing new.  I usually try to stay away from them as it is, because every time I visit all I hear is negative talk about others, or bragging, or trying to make someone feel jealous for some reason or another.  My husband agreed that they were acting extremely childish, but begged me to quit so they would quit harassing him.  I was recently offered flexible part time work at both a bakery and a local clothing store, but my husband doesn't want me to work until Gregorio goes to school.  It's amazing how much my life has changed since becoming a mother.  I've always been very work driven, and my husband and I have worked so hard to get where we are right now,  I feel like I need to contribute financially still.  I think he doesn't want me to be away from Gregorio, because when he was growing up, he knew by heart the phone numbers to all the bars in town.  I don't know if I'm being selfish, wanting to work, but I just need to appreciate the time I have with baby while he's still a baby!

I realized that I just love making things with my hands.  I've always loved making art of all kinds, and I thrived in my jobs as a cook and working on fishing nets.  Now I'm spending my free time sewing clothes for Gregorio.  I've been making him the cutest button down shirts, along with sweaters, pants, and hats (bucket hats to keep the sun off him, and flat, newsboy style caps), all with thrifted clothing.  I'm think about offering to do this for other people.  I think it's a cute idea to use Dad's or Grandpa's old shirts for the little guys!

Wendy, congrats on the new job!!  Sounds like you really love what you do!  :wub:

Katie, I'm so sorry you're feeling down.  I hope the nutritionist and endocrinologist will be able to give you some answers as well!  I'm with Wendy, don't beat yourself up if you decide to enjoy some cake.  Is it going to have gluten/dairy in it?  I know how awful that stuff makes you feel.  When I went to my dad's birthday last spring, I cooked some blueberries and apples with pumpkin spice, and topped it with cold coconut milk.  I felt like I was able to still celebrate with something sweet-ish  while everyone else was eating cheesecake!

I think that unschooling has been around for a while now.  I've watched a couple of Ted Talks on it, and one lady said they've followed a group of people who were unschooled, that are in their 30's now, and they're doing well.  The man who told me about it is currently unschooling his 11 year old son.  Apparently there are lots of conferences they go to, and there are other kids who Skype with each other and people in different professions.  There are even facilities where every room has different resources, and the children choose where to spend their time based on what they are interested in!

I know the library is also a huge resource for unschooling, as well as connecting children with different types of people so they develop social skills.  We have a wonderful school system here, so Gregorio will likely go to public school, but I would love to incorporate some of the concepts of unschooling in his life as he grows up as well!

I'm starting another Whole30 today, for a number of reasons.  The little bubba is up now, so I need to scoot out of here!

Wendy, I should be officially done March 25th, assuming I can pull off one more full-time quarter and not die!! I think it will involve a lot of crying and grumping over homework, but I’m hoping I can just count it down and get through it. We shall see!

I am totally excited for you, it’s a big deal to get a new position!! And if it means less homework for you, then that’s even better! And you’re definitely right, if it’s its own reward then a pay raise definitely isn’t necessary. Seems like it comes with a lot of other perks!

Ksea and Wendy both, thank you for the sympathy. I really don’t like whining about it, but I just get so frustrated, it seems so unfair! I did decide to make the carrot cake gluten free, so I think I will have a piece. There’s no real way I can figure to make dairy free cream cheese frosting, but I figure I’ll just do this, and then that is the end. I will not plan for any further ‘junk’ food in the future because I just can’t afford it at this rate!  

I do love the blueberries and apple bake idea, that sounds delicious and like you wouldn’t feel crummy after eating it!

Unschooling sounds excellent, actually. I am really not a fan of public schools, at all. I was homeschooled for my last two years of high school and liked it WAY better. It’s so much easier to learn when you aren’t caught up in the drama and bullying and general yuckiness. Unschooling sounds like homeschooling but with a positive social aspect!

Best of luck on your Whole30! :)

Katie and Ksea,

I haven't heard of unschooling, but I have experience in public schools, Christian schools, and homeschooling.  I have taught in public schools for over 20 years, sent two of my children to a Christian school for 2 years, and also homeschooled my two oldest for 2 years.  Surprisingly, my kids suffered more bullying in the Christian school than in the public schools (go figure...).  Anyway, I agree that there can be a lot of bullying and wasted time in public schools, but I have been fortunate to work in two schools that have excellent teachers who really care about the students and work really hard.  I work at a school with a high rate of low-income students and free and reduced lunch.  Some of the students are really needy and don't come from the best home environments.  There are days when I feel like I really make a difference with my students, and then there are days when I feel like nothing I do makes a difference.  But I work hard and try my best, and hope that if nothing else, I've taught my students some life skills they can use on a daily basis.  Unschooling sounds really interesting and student-driven.  

Good luck with your Whole 30, Ksea!  

Katie,  I bet your homeschooling has something to do with how you seem to be self-motivated.  Good luck with all the homework.  I think you'll do just fine.  The end is near!! 

Wish me luck packing up my current classroom and moving into my new room this week.  It'll be a ton of work this week, but hoping it will be worth it soon!

Wow, Wendy, you really are the expert on all different kinds of school options! I'm so sorry that your kids had to deal with bullying anywhere, but that is definitely interesting that it was worse in the Christian schools.

I love that the school you work in is so proactive in helping the students who are lower income; I think that's really important because they have to struggle in ways that other students might not understand.

Also, I think it's absolutely beautiful that you work so hard to make a difference... I think just by being such a caring, compassionate person, you have touched more lives than you probably realize. :)

All the best in moving into the new space!! xoxo

Congrats on the new position, Wendy!  Good luck with packing everything up and moving this week!  That sounds very stressful, but it will be worth it when you start your new position next week!

Katie, how did your appointments go, and did you eat the carrot cake?  Carrot cake (or really any sweet) sounds so good to me right now.  I'm really craving something sweet!

Ksea, I feel like Chase is always going through separation anxiety, but maybe it's because I work full-time.  When I'm home with him myself at any time, I have a hard time getting anything done.  He's always pulling at my legs and whining.  Especially in the evenings after I get home from work.  Sometimes on the weekends, he can play by himself for a bit.  I'm just glad he's out of his 3-month difficult time sleeping phase!  It's now been 9 straight nights that he's gone to bed at his normal time!  Woo hoo!  I don't think you're being selfish at all for wanting to work!  There is no way on God's green earth that I could be a stay at home mom.  I know it works for a lot of people, but it's not for me.  And I'm ok with that.  And I don't feel guilty.  Being at work is good for my happiness, which, in turn, is good for Chase's.  I really do believe that.  Charleston is VERY humid!  It did cool down a bit, but some days are still REALLY hot.  Usually temps in the lower to mid 90s with heat indexes in the lower to mid 100s!  Way too hot to spend time outside, other than at the pool or beach.  I would be sooo happy with 80 right now :).  How is your W30 going?

Did y'all see that there's going to be a big W30 starting on Sept 5?  I'm thinking about doing it, even though I will be home with Chase by myself for a couple weeks out of the month.  I really just need to get myself back on track.  And I think it will be easier this time around, since I have been cooking W30 meals since my first one.  The only problem with Sept 5 is that my son's 2nd birthday party will be Oct 1, and I definitely want to partake in the food for that!  Maybe I could do a W25.

This teriyaki chicken is my recipe to share today.  It was super easy!  The only thing I would change is that I would maybe double the coconut aminos.  When I reduced the sauce on the stove top, it wasn't very much sauce (unless I just reduced it too long).  But the flavor is great!

Hi, ladies! Moving into my new classroom space was easier than expected.  My husband went with me all day yesterday to help pack up and move, and we were thrilled to find that the custodians at my school had already moved everything that was in a box labeled with my name, and all my furniture. So all I really had to do was pack up the rest of my personal books from my bookshelves, and clean out my desk and a couple of cabinets.  I brought a TON of boxes of books that will be too easy or "babyish" for 4th/5th graders, plus all my teaching resources for those grades, so now part of my basement is wall to wall boxes.  But I didn't want to give them away in case I ever move back to a younger grade.  I have probably spent thousands of dollars over the years (most teachers I know do) over the course of 20 years on books and classroom supplies.  I did throw away a ton of stuff that was outdated or something I knew I'd never use again.  So I spent a lot of today trying to organize my new room, but still have a lot to do.  I really think I'm going to like my new room, even though it is in a modular, and not attached to the main building.  It is really nice inside, and has new hardwood floors, and pretty much everything in it is new.  That is a real treat for me, as I have always worked in an older building.  The AC works so much better! :D Sorry to ramble on, as you can see I am pretty excited.  Thanks for all your encouragement, Katie, Ksea, and Colleen!  

Colleen, I am looking forward to trying the teriyaki chicken.  I have really been craving Chinese food lately.  Where do you find the coconut aminos? I have heard good things about using that in place of soy sauce.  Sounds like you will be doing your next W30 around the same time as me.  Larry and I are going to start sometime around Sept. 12, as my brother is getting married on the 10th,  and we want to partake in the reception food and drinks with no exceptions.  Plus by then the "back to school" craziness should have settled down, and I should have more time to plan and prepare meals.  I agree with you that being a stay-at-home mom is very hard, and not the best choice for everyone.  I deal with life so much better when I have a set schedule, and when I stayed home with my little ones and tried to homeschool for a couple years, it was overwhelming and I ended up being depressed much of the time.  (It also didn't help that my husband at the time was little help with the kids).  

Ksea, let us know how your W30 is going!

And Katie, I want to hear your answers to Colleen's questions, too! :)

I actually hadn’t seen that there is going to be a big Whole30 starting up on Sept 5! I would start it with you, but we are going away on Sept 11-13 and I know it would be way too difficult to try and find compliant foods for those three days. Then we have my boyfriend’s best friend’s wedding on the 17th, and while I could probably navigate that (I’ve handled a 40th birthday party and a baby shower while Whole30ing), it’s again, probably easier to not start anything until after that.

But I’ll cheer you ladies on when you start, as always!! xo

That being said, I haven’t had my appointments yet! I have the nutritionist on Thursday, and then next Thursday is the endocrinologist. So I really hope I can get some answers soon! And who knows what they will say about the Whole30? Even Melissa and Dallas say it’s not for everyone – perhaps I need some paleo tweaking. We shall see.

As for the carrot cake, I did eat it, but it was AMAZING how fast the sugar dragon reared up and before I knew it I’d eaten my piece, the rest of my step brother’s piece that he didn’t finish, and sliced myself a second piece! I don’t even want to know how many calories/sugar that was. I felt so awful, and had such a headache yesterday, which I think was most likely the dairy in the cream cheese frosting. I still feel bloated and gross from it… I really don’t think it was worth it, and it never is, yet I go so long in between desserts that I forget how bad I pay for it whenever I have them!

Colleen, thank you for the recipe, as always! I adore Asian food so much, and I do feel like you need more coconut aminos than most recipes call for to really get that flavor!

Wendy, so glad moving into the classroom went smoothly! It was fabulous that Larry was with you (he’s so helpful!) and that the janitors helped out! Love when you get that unexpected kindness! AND can’t complain about working AC! Haha.

Definitely don’t apologize for being excited!! I’m excited for you! I wish I had more to respond to, I just don’t know that much about the world of being a teacher! (You would think I would, as my mom and stepmom are both teachers and my dad is a psychologist in a school, so I spent a lot of time in their classrooms/offices growing up!)

Wendy, I'm soooo happy that you're excited about your new job!  The modular sounds great!  I get the coconut aminos at Whole Foods.  I also found them on Amazon, but they're pretty expensive.  I just did a little googling, and you can actually buy them at WalMart online and a few other places for maybe even less than what they cost at Whole Foods!  Have y'all ever tried ThriveMarket online?  I've seen it advertised a bunch, and I'm curious about it.

Katie, that really sucks about the carrot cake!  I hope you're feeling better today!

I got my coconut aminos on Amazon, and I agree, I think they are cheaper on WalMart! I feel like Amazon isn't actually less expensive for a lot of food products, but I'm willing to pay a little more for the convenience.

I actually found out about Thrive Market because I'm a huge Vampire Diaries/Ian Somerhalder fan, and he is a really big promoter of it! I have an account, and they seem to have good deals they advertise, but I've never actually used it yet. I'm taking a look at it again, though, and it does look like it might be worth it for some things!

Thank you, I am finally feeling better, but I'm still bloaty and gross. It's just so frustrating!! I'm going to the nutritionist in about an hour and I'm nervous. I'm kind of afraid she's going to tell me, "Oh, go low fat and count calories" - well that never worked for me before!

Thanks, Colleen, for being glad about my excitement about my new job!  Today was our first "official" day back, even though most of the teachers have been in already getting rooms ready.  I still have a ton to do, but I think I'm finally done sorting through and lugging boxes home of supplies I won't need for the older students.  It's taken some time, but I really don't want to clutter my new space with things I don't need.  

I will check out Walmart and Amazon for the coconut aminos. I really want to be a little more organized this time around with the W30, as far as planning meals and having some dressings and sauces on hand.  Another benefit to my new classroom is that it is farther away from the teacher's lounge (or junk food central, as I like to call it!). So I won't be tempted to drop in during my planning period to look for treats, as it involves going to a whole other building.  I'll have to check out Thrive Market, too.  Katie, I'm sorry you still feel bloaty and uncomfortable.  Let us know how your appointment goes with the nutritionist. 

Sorry that you had to go back already, Wendy! That seems so short to me; I never started school again until after Labor Day! But I guess things are different in different regions. Good luck in the next few days with the last of your prep!

I think the fact that you got a chance to declutter by moving to a new space is awesome. I have such a hard time with that myself. When I moved out of my dad's and into my boyfriend's, I kept SO many things that I really don't need. When I'm finally done with grad school I can't wait to just get rid of a lot of it. Excessive stuff just equates to baggage, IMO.

So the nutritionist went well, I really liked her and she was very perceptive and understanding. She is familiar with the Whole30 and she completely understood that I don't want to incorporate grains, dairy, soy, sugar, or legumes back into my diet (except legumes, I feel like I have been okay with them every time I've had them. A little gassy, sometimes, but no excessive discomfort, so I'd be open to having them sometimes as I don't really have to pay for them). She said I actually don't weigh as much as I thought I do (I asked her not to tell me the exact number anyway), and that I am on the high end of the BMI, I'm not actually overweight for my height and body type. So she supports me losing a few pounds because I want to, but actually cautioned that let's take it slower and only do a few at a time rather than jump for a big number loss. So all of that was good to hear! Honestly, I really don't care about the number so much as I want to just fit in my clothes again and feel like I look good. I could weigh ten pounds more than I do right now if I felt like I was toned and strong and I wouldn't care, you know what I mean? It's more about this level of squish that just keeps padding over the muscle I work so hard to build!

Also, she confirmed that I am in fact eating really well, the only thing my diet is lacking in is calcium because I don't eat dairy, so she said to just increase my supplement and eat more leafy greens and add in fish like salmon (gosh, twist my arm!! :P). But I am eating actually on the low end of calories for someone of my activity level and age and weight and all that, so I should be losing weight. So while I was hoping she'd say I was eating too much and I should fix it, it is also good to know I'm not crazy and I have been doing things right. Unfortunately, it was kind of a challenge for her to come up with ways I could lose weight. She suggested maybe adding in some exercise like a light walk or yoga on the days I don't go to the gym, because I have 4 days a week where I'm highly active, and the other 3 I'm completely sedentary, so my body might be getting confused. She also said that really, if I want to lose just "the last 10 pounds" kind of weight, then I really shouldn't have things like carrot cake even as an occasional thing, because this is where it really matters. That one piece of carrot cake can undo all the work I did the rest of the week because my calories are already so low. She said the same thing applies to eating out because we really can't know how much or what we're actually eating, so I should eat at home, at least until the weight comes off. Rob and I had been going out about once a week to give me a break from cooking and just so we could make time to get away from homework and work and everything, but he is totally supportive of eating at home (he's actually been helping quite a bit with cooking - he made some amazing collard greens the other night!!) for the time being.

So just a few small tweaks, and I feel very encouraged that I am doing things right, so I have a newfound motivation!!

Katie,

I'm so glad that the nutritionist confirmed that you are doing the right thing regarding Whole 30, and had some good suggestions for you.  I would agree that a brisk walk on you sedentary days may help burn some calories, plus more importantly, it improves your mood.  I have always been a walker instead of jogger. As a kid, I had really bad asthma, and my one attempt at track in jr. high led to an asthma attack.  But I have always enjoyed walking, and it is a time that I do a lot of thinking and planning for the rest of my day/week.  On days when I can't walk due to weather or schedule being too busy, I really miss it.  I've never tried yoga, but a lot of people I know do it and absolutely love it.  That's so great Rob is so supportive.  How did he make the collard greens?  Larry also actually prefers eating in.  During our 1st W30, we didn't eat out at all, and we didn't even miss it.  I agree that I will continue to eat legumes while not on a W30.  I do get some gassiness, which is normal, but I really enjoy them in soups and in my burrito bowl! I don't eat much dairy, either, so always take a multi-vitamin with Vitamin D. 

Yes, it's a pain starting so early in August.  When I was a kid, we never started until after Labor Day, but during my teaching career, it has slowly moved back from late August to a mid-August starting date for students (which means pretty early Aug. return for teachers).  But as Larry reminds me, I am off all holidays, weekends, and most of the summer, so I really can't complain!  

I totally agree about excessive stuff leading to baggage.  I read a pretty radical book this summer about de-cluttering called "The Life-changing magic of tidying up." (The author's full name has escaped me, but her first name is Marie).  It has some great ideas about how to get rid of unneeded/unwanted stuff, but I will warn you that some of it is kind of crazy (the author actually talks to her clothes and other belongings! But I did take several useful ideas, and totally cleaned out my walk-in closet this summer and went through every piece of clothing I own, and got rid of a TON of stuff.  It feels good to do that at home and in the classroom!  I will try to figure out how to post some pics of my new classroom when I get it completely ready.  

You are SO right that moving improves your mood! I feel like if I skip the gym and go three or four days without exercising, I start to get really depressed. It's just where will I find the time?! I wake up at 4am to make time to go to the gym - I certainly don't have any time after work because I come home, eat dinner, and do homework until I crash and can't do any more. I know you must understand this because as a teacher, you always have homework, too!

Do you still have the asthma? Or has it gotten better as you've gotten older?

The collard greens recipe I found for him is this one, which is Whole30 compliant if you use compliant bacon (which we didn't). They were actually very spicy and delicious, but I think I'd put maybe half the onion and garlic in them! I think I just like going out to eat because it means I don't have to cook, but if he's going to be helping me, maybe I won't feel the need! I get so much anxiety over going out, too, and have to plan in advance what I want to eat to make sure it will be as healthy as possible...so a break from it might not be so bad.

It definitely is a plus to have all summer off! I was just thinking about how I haven't been in a pool once this summer because if I'm not at work, I'm doing homework. Last summer, even though I worked two jobs, I would have Mondays off when I worked Saturdays, and I would often work from home with my one job so I was over my dad's in their pool at least once or twice a week!

I am familiar with that book you're talking about! I actually have a parody of it sitting on my coffee table right now called The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck, which is absolutely hysterical! But the author references the Tidying Up book many times, and I was actually really interested to see what she has to say. I'm a fan of crazy and radical ideas, because I like things that change up the normal!

We have a pool party wedding today to go to, and I'm really having a hard time with it. I want to go in the pool (it's 96 degrees out) but I am SO self-conscious about my stomach and cottage cheese thighs. I have been thinking about this all summer and how I would be confident and feel good by the time this came around - and here I am and I'm heavier than ever, and more self-conscious than ever. If I don't go in the pool, I think I'll get depressed and feel like a failure... but if I do, I'll be self-conscious and get depressed anyway when I compare myself with everyone else (which I know I will do... I know I shouldn't, but it's easier said than done). I'm afraid the anxiety will make me eat like a crazy person. I can't wait for this day to be over. :(

Katie,

The collard greens recipe sounds amazing!  It is so hard to find compliant bacon.  I spent like an hour one day looking at 3 grocery stores for some, and then gave up and just picked the one w/the least amount of sugar.

It would be hard to find time to walk w/your schedule.  I don't know how you do all that you already do.  I think my childhood asthma stemmed mostly from my mother's cigarette smoking, because it mostly dissipated once I left for college (and recurred once home).  I had a wonderful mother, but she just could not give up her smoking.  And the interesting thing is that being a teacher for 20+ years, every single student I have had with severe asthma has a smoker in the household.  

That parody book sounds hilarious!  I'm going to have to look that up!  Some of the ideas in the tidying book are a bit radical, like thanking your clothes and house on a daily basis, but at least it did motivate me to get rid of unnecessary stuff.  (But no, I draw the line at talking to my clothes and cell phone).  Well, sometimes I do swear at my phone lol.  

I've never been to a pool party wedding!  I can see how that would lead to anxiety for a lot of people. We've been having that 96 degree all week, but today it is raining buckets all day.  I hope it isn't too stressful and that you end up having a good time.  

I would definitely recommend those collards, especially if you like spicy! And I think, as long as you aren't on a Whole30, the amount of sugar in bacon is negligible. I know a few people who eat paleo and they will buy regular bacon, but do like you, and pick the one with the smallest amount of sugar. They aren't going and buying the maple flavored or anything, but I don't think it will hurt to have a little tiny bit. I only found compliant bacon at Whole Foods, and it was like, three times the price of regular bacon, which already isn't cheap!

That is a really interesting observation about the asthma and smoking... and also really sad! I don't know how people can smoke around others, let alone the health impacts it has on yourself, because where is your sense of responsibility? I know that in our parents' generations they may not have known better, but now? The kids in your classes should totally not have smoking parents, they know what it will do to their children if they smoke around them.

The book is awesome, I always just read a little at a time and giggle and then come back to it at a later time when I want a little pick me up!

I'm not sure I could talk to my clothes, either... although I sometimes want to yell at them when they don't fit. :P

I had never been to a pool party wedding, either, but luckily, hardly anyone went in the pool, so even if I had a bathing suit that I liked, I probably wouldn't have gone in anyway. I didn't know anyone besides the bride and groom and her parents, so Rob and I just kind of sat around awkwardly and drowned in our own sweats. I did eat WAY too much, but I knew I was going to... this is my biggest challenge, is not knowing when to stop when it comes to food. I really feel like I overeat every single night and just don't stop until I'm stuffed and uncomfortable, and it's worse when it's buffet style and there's all this stuff that's set out in front of you and it's stuff you can't have everyday and I just eat all of it and keep going back for more. I tell myself I will have only one plate, or I will stop when I'm actually full, but I never do it, in the moment I just lose sight of everything except there is food there and it's good and I want it.

Oh, I'm so frustrated!  I just wrote a whole huge reply, and, when I tried to post it, I got an error page!  So frustrating!  One of these days I'm going to learn to type in a Word doc or at least copy before I try to submit!  But not today!  Anyway, now I have to head out of work to pick up Chase, but I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed catching up on what's going on in your lives!  Wendy, hope school is going well!  Katie, I have the same problem at weddings!  When are we ever going to learn???

Colleen, I've had that happen before, and it's such a pain.  I'm not very tech-savvy, but I have a feeling my new job is going to force me to be, as I need to use the computer a lot more for it.  I've made it through most of the first week, but I don't actually have students yet, as they need to be tested first, so I've been spending a lot of time on the computer inputting all their info., which has been a lot different than the fast-paced start to the year I usually have.  I'm anxious to get started working with students!

Katie, I always have the same problem whenever there is an abundance of good food around.  Buffets are the worst! Hope everyone's week is going well.

Wendy

Archived