Moving right along!

katieblue

Katieblue,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your sweet potato recipe.  It sounds scrumptious, can't wait to make that tomorrow.  

Here's hoping everyone can keep their sugar dragon under control with all the Easter candy readily available.  I bought some candy for my kids, and so far I haven't had any, because I know where that will lead...

I'm looking forward to a couple of beers tonight while we're out-hoping that does;t affect my sleep like the wine did on day 31.  

Galaxigrl, did the beer affect you negatively in any way?

ksea,  good luck with the exercising. I didn't do any exercising during the W30 other than walking my dog. Hoping the weather will finally get warm and stay warm so I can get out daily for a walk, and I really need to start getting back to the gym for weight lifting to build up my strength. I feel so out of shape.

KalinaM, hope your birthday was happy!

Wendy

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! I did enjoy two glasses of wine. So far they seem to be agreeing with me as well as drinking two glasses of wine can! I'm excited for that. Being super good today, though so I can enjoy my ham and kielbasa tomorrow.

Wendy, you'll definitely have to let me know if you like it, or if you make any tweaks! :)

I don't think the Easter candy will tempt me, I more have an issue with things that are frosted, or packed with cream cheese... but I do know you can stay strong! The dragon is still lurking, gotta keep her quiet! ;)

Kalina, I hope your wine continues to be good in your tummy and that you had a fabulous birthday!! :)

Ramonax,

I was looking through the old thread for your roasted chicken recipe that sounded so good (with the veggies that carmelized!), and am going to try to do that along with a small ham tomorrow.  What temperature did you roast the chicken?  Have you ever done it in the crockpot, or would that not work as it won't brown like in the oven? Also, did you leave it uncovered in the oven?

Sorry for all the questions!

Wendy

katieblue, thanks for the reintro advice.  I do feel I need to be deliberate in order to learn what foods were causing my issues.  So as much as I'd rather just keep on keepin on, I need to follow through for information's sake.  I know I'll be glad I did in the end. 

Kalina, glad to hear the wine is agreeing with you so far!  And I hope the sweet potato bites are good.  It's a new recipe for me, but bacon and sweet potatoes . . . how can it NOT be good??  ;)

Ok, gals, here's my list of NSVs and SV:

- appreciation for food as nourishment

- headaches completely eliminated

- heartburn only once, after eating pumpkin seeds (heartburn occurred daily pre-W30)

- enjoying heartburn-free coffee!

- sugar dragon in hibernation

- bellyaches, cramps, pain, bubbles, gas, bloating, feeling full too quickly, all eliminated (initial motivation for starting W30)

- whole family is eating healthier

- sustained and consistent energy levels throughout the day

- no afternoon slump

- better sleep and more hours of it (except for recent nights I've stayed up waaay too late watching Jane Austen movies!)

- an inside feeling of calm

- no more brain fog

- pride in making good choices and avoiding self-sabotage

- 13.7 lbs and 11.75" gone

- sinuses are clear

- no sign of spring allergies yet (unheard of for me)

Like many of you have said, I need and want to start to exercise more.  I'd very much like to increase my strength.  Post reintroductions, I plan to keep eating this way as much as possible because it just feels so good, and the results speak for themselves.  And the longer I eat like this, my whole family's health and nutrition will continue to improve.  I don't know that my husband will ever jump into the W30 with both feet, but could easily see him starting with eliminating one food area and continuing from there, rolling into it a bit at a time. 

***Whoever was the first to suggest adding chai spice to coffee grounds, I love you!!  It's the BEST thing of my morning - so creamy and delicious with the coconut milk too!  Thank you!!***

Hi Wendy

I have never done it in a crockpot - I think that was JenC? right? I don't think it would brown the skin - but I bet the meat would be tender.

I roast at 375 degrees for the first half hour, then 450 degrees for the last 20-30 minutes. I let it rest 10 minutes uncovered out of oven. But that is b/c I am lazy. Probably better to tent it?

However, when I searched for the recipe on line - this recipe came up over and over

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/99591424823/weeknight-roast-chicken

I wonder what it would be like.

Oh, lesson learned today. I was very crabby this morning and I was going to blame last night's wine. But then, I made Mayo for potato salad for tomorrow and licked the spoon and I almost immediately felt less crabby. So I had a sample of potato salad and my mood was so much improved after that. I had an omlet for breakfast today, but no fat... So, lesson learned and I'm glad to know it wasn't the wine!

Ramonax,

I was looking through the old thread for your roasted chicken recipe that sounded so good (with the veggies that carmelized!), and am going to try to do that along with a small ham tomorrow.  What temperature did you roast the chicken?  Have you ever done it in the crockpot, or would that not work as it won't brown like in the oven? Also, did you leave it uncovered in the oven?

Sorry for all the questions!

Wendy

Roasting the chicken in the crockpot won't brown it like in the oven.  The meat will come out moist, but if you're wanting skin good for eating, the oven will be a better choice. 

Kalina, do you think it was the fat or the starchy veggies? I have learned that I tend to get cranky and anxious if I don't have enough starchy veggies! (White potatoes have become my new best friends!)

Definitely with Jen on the chicken in the oven rather than the crock pot. No replacement for the crispy brown skin! :D

You guys, omg. The Paleo restaurant I posted yesterday?? It was TO DIE FOR. I am SO glad I found it in time for the 2nd Whole 30!! I need you all to come visit me in Jersey so I can take you there. I also need to find good recipes for chocolate chili, cold sweet potato salad, Thai cucumber-carrot slaw, and Jerk seasoning to jazz up burgers in the future!!

Happy Easter, all!! Good luck staying compliant if you're trying and reintroducing if you're adventuring!! I'm really pumped for some bacon, ham and turkey! :)

jen c, Wow!  Your NSV's and SV's are uh-MAZING!  You have so much to be proud of!  

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions about the roasted chicken.  I think I will try the nom nom paleo recipe Ramonax posted the link to-looks easy and delicious.  Thanks, Ramonax and jen C!  

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter, and try to not to go too far off the rails!! haha  

My husband and I had 2-3 beers last night (over the course of about 5 hours) at a concert, with no ill effects, and we both slept just fine. In the past, we would have had too much to drink and felt lousy the next day.

Wendy

So much to catch up on!  It sounds like y'all are doing really well.  How did your Easter dinners go?  I think, for being in the middle of nowhere GA with not a lot of options, my husband and I did ok this weekend.  On Saturday, we did a W30 compliant breakfast of apples with almond butter.  We had lousy burgers for lunch at this cafe.  It was my first time having bread, and it was just ok.  Definitely nothing special!  For dinner, we had real, smoked SC style BBQ that was amazing!  Smoked chicken, ribs, cole slaw, and potato salad.  I didn't have any of the potato salad, just because I didn't really care for it.  I have been doing really well with not eating something just to eat it.  I passed on the potato salad and pasta salad that came with our burgers, too!  And then I had some plantain chips dipped in almond butter for a snack in the evening.  

I don't know what's going on, but I've had two kinds of wine, and both have tasted WAY too sweet to me.  The first was a nicer wine in a box I had never had before, so I just assumed it was that.  But then I bought a bottle of wine I had enjoyed in the past, and I didn't care for that one either!

Today we did ok.  Apples with almond butter for breakfast, but then I was worried about lunch.  We were going to stop at Cracker Barrel on our way home, but we went to two that were super crowded.  Luckily we found a local place in Pooler, GA called the Omelette House.  I had two eggs with corned beef hash, and my husband had these awesome loaded hashbrowns that were pretty much W30 compliant, other than the butter they were cooked in.  They were hashbrowns with chicken, broccoli, sauteed onions, and bacon.  I may try making those myself sometime for breakfast.  For dinner, we decided to treat ourselves (since it's Easter) and get pizza from our favorite place.  It was as good as I remembered, but I was full after two pieces, which has never happened before!

Tomorrow we are back to eating W30 at least through Friday!  I did a meal plan in the car on our way back, and then we stopped for groceries before we got home.  I was really happy that I was able to come up with a meal plan much quicker than I had through our Whole30, and the grocery shopping was quick!  Maybe I am getting the hang of this!

jen: I think it's great that you're improving your family's eating habits!  Even if it's slow, it's moving in the right direction!  Thanks for sharing your Easter recipes.  I think they all sound fantastic.  Congrats on your NSVs and SVs!  And those potato roses look so pretty!

katie: The Paleo restaurant sounds really great.  Someone needs to open one of those here. 

Wendy: I don't think the beer affected me badly, but I probably only had a total of 1 beer at the most, since I started out with the crappy wine :).  Glad the beers you had last night didn't affect you negatively!

Ramona: Thanks for the roasted chicken recipe.  I need to pull the chicken I have out of the freezer and try that recipe.  Any idea how long it will take to defrost?  I'm thinking at least 48 hours.  Maybe more?

Kalina: That's great that you realized the wine wasn't making you feel bad!

I'm ready to be pretty much back on W30 starting tomorrow.  I realized there's nothing I've had off-plan so far that I don't feel like I can do without.  Now if I realize there are wines I still like, that may be a different story ;).

Happy Easter! We had bacon for breakfast and I never in my life thought that Bacon would be sweet, but it was soooooo sweet! And the package said it contained less than 2% of the sugar! Wow. I was happy to read the ham label had nothing forbidden except sugar, so that is truly the only thing introduced today! The ham and kielbasa were wonderful, but I do feel a little slumpy and a teeny bit bloated. But that could also be from waking up so early to Cook and clean my butt off and eating a LOT of yummy food. Hope every one else enjoyed their celebration!

I'm so glad you guys had such a good time with the food and fun!! I'm currently in a food coma. Brunch and then dinner was WAY too much food. Omg. I'm in pain. But - I really did well at sticking to my plan of introducing only sugar today (you are so right about the bacon!!) Except I did have a little feta on my stepmoms Greek salad. But I feel sssoooooo full, I'm going to sleep forever. If you don't hear from me for a few days, send help. :P

So I tried caramelizing onions in the slow cooker. they have been the bane of my cooking life - I have never successfully made caramelized onions. I cut them up, tossed them with oil and cooked for 8 hours. They were perfect! amazing! I mixed them with ground beef and pork and made burgers with yam fries, mayo and broccoli. Now I am stuffed and the giant bag of easter eggs my mother sent (eeekk!) don't even appeal to me! I was compliant the entire day, so I'm pretty happy.

Tomorrow is the family dinner, and that will be the cheese/cake meal. I will check in tomorrow. Happy easter. I'm glad everyone is still here. It is helping me so much to have you all. Glad you were able to sort of stick to program and also glad you were able to enjoy your food when you didn't.

Katie..the only thing I know about Jersey is Cake Boss. Paleo restaurants? I am learning more about the US East Coast than I ever thought I would on this thread. :)

Ramonax, I had no idea you could caramelize onions in a slow cooker!! It takes SO long to do it on the frying pan, that's kind of genius!! Thank you! :)

Also, congrats on being compliant all day, and good luck today!!

Holy crap, I am a MESS today. I checked the ingredients on everything I was able to, but I think I must have eaten something else off-plan, because I can't imagine a little bit of feta or some sugar in the meat/glaze would have affected me this much. My eyes are watery and my vision is blurry, my head is pounding like I have a hangover, my stomach hurts and still feels full, I'm sweating like crazy, and I am BLOWN UP. My stomach is literally twice the size it was yesterday and I have about 400 chins. It's actually kind of scary. :(

HOWEVER - what's really scary is the fact that I used to gorge like that just about every weekend. And I'd spend a few days feeling like this and recovering from it, and then I'd do it all over again. It's been so long since the last time I did this that it feels even more awful now. So that's a victory, really!

My classes start again today. I have no idea how I'm going to focus. I miss my sharp, Whole 30 mind. Back on track today, even though we don't officially start the next one until April 1st!

Ramona: Your caramelized onions and burger meal are making me salivate right now.  Those are all things I absolutely love!

Katie: I'm sorry you feel bad!  I hope you feel better as the day goes on!  That really sucks!  I can't imagine what you had could have affected you this much.  Maybe it was just the amount of food?  

I think it's great that we're all realizing that eating W30 is really the way to go to guarantee feeling good!  I honestly didn't think that 30 days would change my perspective on food as much as it has.  I wanted to be back on track today, but my friend is coming into town and bringing me bread from a local bakery in her town that is absolutely to die for!  I'm going to eat it, but I'm not going to have 3-4 pieces, like I normally would.  The good thing is that it freezes well...and my grandmother is coming to visit for a couple of weeks on Friday, and she loves bread with jelly for breakfast, so I'm going to save some for her!  Both of those things will be good motivation to not eat the whole loaf in the next few days :).

I really need to motivate myself to exercise!  I set the alarm this morning, but I didn't get up, because I stayed up too late last night watching bball :(.  Tomorrow it's happening!

Hi everyone! Glad to hear that Easter eating went well for the most part.

Katie - I sometimes have bad reactions to the smallest things. I ate lunch at the Wegman's buffet on Saturday and everything I ate should have been compliant, but I suspect there must have been some kind of oil or soy sauce in there because my stomach was upset the rest of the day. You just never know how your body is going to react. So far the only thing I've reintroduced is dairy - aside from my day 31 dairy fest I had a cappuccino yesterday and I seemed fine. I have kind of slacked off on eating three template meals per day, and I'm worried that I'm not getting enough vegetables. I can't decide what to try eating next - maybe legumes? I've realized I don't miss eating them (or grains) all that much - the main draw is that they're cheap and easy. All this mostly-organic produce starts to add up quite a bit!

I am definitely on the tired side but I think that has to do with early pregnancy. Luckily I'm not having any nausea or aversions yet, just fatigue and some expected aches and pains. It's still early though...

Well, I tried to make the cake. I buttered all the pans, separated 12 eggs, melted 12 oz of chocolate, whipped up 12 egg yolks and sugar and heard a clunk. My toddler is always loosening a piece on my kitchen aid mixer and this time it fell out, into the bowl. I went to turn it off - but I was too late. the mixer hit the metal piece and bounced off and SMASH the glass bowl EXPLODED into 3 million shards of glass all over the kitchen, in the egg whites, in the chocolate, on the floor. EVERYWHERE. So it all had to go in the garbage. And no cake. Which I have been planning for a week now. sigh. I guess I won't be introducing sugar today. 

Oh Ramonax, what an event!  So glad no one got hurt with all that glass! :blink::o :o

So much to catch up on reading here.  It sounds like some have done fine with a few introductions and some not so well.  I hope those not feeling well will have a quick recovery.  katieblue, from what I know of food allergies, a tiny smidge can set off a huge reaction.  Whether it's the same with sensitivities, I'm not sure, but I do hope you're feeling better now.

Non-compliant food so far:

Saturday after breakfast and lunch, a dozen Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips (ingredients:  chocolate, sugar).  Just testing the waters, but the sugar dragon didn't peep an eye.  Whew!

Sunday I had corn with breakfast.  Felt full much more quickly and only ate half of my usual meal.  Dinner ham had sugar and corn syrup, otherwise ate only compliant veggies and fruit.  But I ate LOTS of them and even though "dinner" was at 2pm, I didn't feel hungry the rest of the day and therefore skipped an evening meal.  Had a few more chocolate chips about 10pm.  Because it was Easter, you know. 

Good/Bad: 

+ Sugar dragon still slumbering away. 

+ No adverse reaction to either corn or sugar yet. 

- Corn made me feel full really fast. 

- Chocolate just tastes "meh".  A bit sad by that. 

jen c - Wow! Your NSV's and SV's are awesome!  Way to go!  My fridge gets packed with veggies now too.  My husband will ask if I want anything from the store on the way home, and I'll say, "Lots of veggies.  Whatever looks good".  Sometimes he'll come home with just a bag of onions and one other thing, like broccoli or cucumber.  <_< Then I'll go to the store, and load up the cart with veg!  Doesn't last us long either.  Those potato roses are beautiful!  I'm going to try them out!!

katieblue - Thats awful you feel so crappy today.  I too wonder if it is from overeating, or a reaction to something else?  It is a plus that moving forward, you probably won't do the same thing next weekend!

I made your recipe for sweet potato casserole on Saturday.  I was going to just wing it, but then I saw you posted a recipe.  THANK YOU!!  It was incredible.  I don't have any allspice, so I used about 1/4 tsp. cloves, and I used a little more than 1 tsp. salt, because the sea salt I have is kind of "fluffy".  And I only had 1 cup of pecans left, so I toasted them in a couple Tbs. of ghee for the topping.  Here's me making it:  Hmm, is there enough salt? *lick spoon*  Yup!  Is there enough cinnamon? *lick spoon* Yup!  Is there enough nutmeg? *lick spoon* Oops, I dropped some on my baby's head, I'll finish what's on my spoon before I clean him up.  *pours it into the casserole dish*  Hmm, it's uneven on this side, I better even it out *licks spoon* and on and on!  :lol:

CGinDC - I was mega tired and achey for my first trimester too.  But, I never experienced any nausea or morning sickness at all, so my fingers are crossed that  you're one of those that doesn't get sick either!

ramonax - Ugh, broken glass!  I hate it when stuff like that happens!  Sometimes life needs a rewind button.  Bummer about the cake.

My dad left town yesterday, so we had my folks over for dinner on Saturday.  I made sirloin roast (I brined it overnight and it turned out nice), sweet potato casserole (yum!!), roasted broccoli, a huge spread of salad stuff, and I made everyone else rolls, and a key lime pie.  Last night my in-laws came over for dinner, and we made fish tacos (which made me think of you, katieblue!  Tacos on Easter!).  I made them some corn tortillas, big hit.  I was good and had a big fish taco salad.  Until later in the evening, I adventured off the rails a bit and had a small slice of key lime pie.  It was delicious!!  But I did feel kind of jittery afterwards, and when I woke up this morning my body felt all puffy and inflamed.  I feel that now I got that out of my system, my sugar dragon is sound asleep again!

I felt pretty bloated the day after I had the oatmeal, rice, and corn tortillas.  While the rice and tortilas were yummy enough, I don't miss them.  The fish taco salad was delicious, and didn't blow me up.  Today I'm trying a little bit of dairy.  I had a small bowl of yogurt with sliced banana, almonds and hemp seeds.  Like with the oatmeal, I feel like it would have been just as good without the yogurt.  I splashed some half and half in my coffee this morning, and decided I like the taste of coconut milk better.

I think  I messed up your sweet potato recipe, Katieblue, but it was still good.   I kind of ran into a time crunch with everything that had to go into the oven.  I took the sweet potatoes out of the oven too soon (the smaller ones were fine, but the bigger ones were not quite done, so they wouldn't mash that well), So, they were a bit "chunky," instead of pureed.  I added all the spices and coconut milk and eggs, and pecans.  Next time, I will know to allow more time to cook the potatoes.  

Today, I was kind of "bad" with the chocolate eggs. I'm not sure why, and then felt lousy afterwards.  Chocolate does not agree with me, even in small doses.  

I am not having any negative reaction with adding my coffee creamer, so that is good news.  I am also adding just a smidgeon of sugar in my tea.  Still drinking the herbal fruit tea in the evening, which is sweet enough with no sugar.  

Ramonax, so sorry about the shards of glass! What a bummer!

katieblue, I sure hope you feel better!  

Wendy

Archived