Moving right along!

katieblue

The painting turned out really well, though I kind of wish I had gone with a slightly darker version of the same color.  I'll try to post some pics soon, though I am not good at that kind of technologically advanced stuff (lol).  Satin paint has a very slight gloss to it, and is recommended for high traffic rooms like bathrooms, kitchens, and living/family rooms. Our house had flat paint throughout when my husband bought it, and flat paint does not wear well with kids, pets, etc.  It is very unforgiving as it does not clean well.  We have slowly tried to transition to the satin paint as we have painted the halls, kitchen and bathrooms in the past year.  Now that the living room is done, next up are the bedrooms.  

How is the kitchen remodel going?  That's exciting!  You need to post some pics, too! Good job on getting lots of homework done!  How is your injury healing?  I loved your video!   That looks so gorgeous!!! I'm so jealous that you live close enough to the ocean to enjoy it whenever you want.  I would totally visit it year-round.  I'd be out there in my winter coat and boots walking whenever I could!  

I finally started on the school project I've been putting off for the last month!  (It's due Thursday).  Now that I have a good chunk of it done, I'm going to go for a walk with my dog, then try to finish it up this afternoon before going to the band competition.  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some googling and I can definitely see the difference between satin paint and regular flat paint! I bet it looks pretty! :) What do you have planned for the bedrooms?

We have not started the kitchen remodel just yet, but we are in the prep stages, and there are counters and cabinets in boxes all over the house. I'll definitely have to show some before/after pictures because (Rob's been doing all the planning) I think it's going to be an AMAZING transformation. I'm super anxious about not having a kitchen for a few days, but luckily two of the four days where we will be without a stove/burners are the weekend so I can always pop over to my dad's to make myself breakfast and lunch. For the other ones, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll have to get a little more comfortable winging it. It'll probably be good for me, really, to let go a little bit! Lol. Of course, I better be able to exercise by then, so I don't have to worry too much about what I'm eating...

Speaking of, though, thank you for asking - today is the first day I am able to walk again without pain!!! :) I still can't bend down or lift anything too heavy, but at least I can walk! I worked out my arms today because I was going insane but I didn't do any core stuff and so far, it's not gotten any worse, so hopefully I was able to figure out a way I can exercise at least a little without involving the stupid groin tendons/muscles/nonsense. And maybe soon I can go for at least some light walks, if I can't do my powerwalking/jogging, at least it's something. I'm being careful not to push it though, I don't want to make it worse. Not being able to walk was AWFUL, I felt so incredibly useless.

Haha, it was 46 degrees outside this morning, and it was SO crowded when I went to the beach to watch the sunrise again! So apparently a lot of people have the same idea as you and me and just get bundled up and go! I think if I could be walking the boardwalk I would be more willing to go when it gets really cold, but just standing there I was freeeeezing.

I hope you were able to finish your school project!!

Well, we made it through our 3rd "W30", though with a few cheats (so I guess not truly a Whole 30, but it is what it is).   Day 30 was Tuesday, and we haven't gone too crazy yet.  The best part of that crazy debate last night was the couple of glasses of wine I had that made it bearable, haha.  We are going to WVU this weekend to meet my college friends and their husbands, so I cannot wait for that.

Larry had a doctor's appointment on Monday, and his doctor was thrilled with his weight and bloodwork.  He has last 20 pounds since February (that's when our 1st W30 was), and she cut his high blood pressure meds in half.  He is at risk for diabetes since he is still a little overweight, and his dad had it, but all his cholesterol #'s were much improved.  I haven't had any checkups lately, but I've been blessed with routinely low blood pressure, and for some reason my bloodwork is always good. I have lost weight, but not as much as Larry, but that's ok, because I didn't need to lose as much.  I will say that I'm in the lower end of the "normal healthy weight" for my height, as I used to be at the high end, and for the last couple years was overweight.  

I did finish my school project (just boring data stuff about my students) that's due every year at this time), and it wasn't that bad.  I always say I'm not going to procrastinate about it next year, and always wait until the week before it's due to start on it.  You'd think I'd learn!  

How is you injury recovery going, Katie? 

Congratulations!!! Wow, I can't believe you finished it already! It seems like you JUST started! Did you have any NSV's this time around?
I can imagine wine was necessary for the debate, I couldn't bring myself to even TRY and stomach it! Lol!

That is amazing that Larry has seen such enormous results!! Congratulations to him on the significant improvements, and also to you for being in good condition as well!! If nothing else, Rob and I have agreed that the Whole30 has definitely taught us a lot about our relationship with food and how it affects how we feel and everything. I've still actually only gained weight since beginning it, but I think part of this is just eating a reasonable, human amount of food rather than restricting and forcing myself to stay skinny. I'm starting to accept that I'm just not built to be "skinny" and I would have to literally starve myself to stay that way.

Haha, I would go CRAZY if I had to procrastinate!! I am working on the last of my giant projects for this quarter already; I always have to work ahead of schedule because I just can't relax unless I know all my work is done! If there is still work, it will always be in the back of my head nagging at me.

Thanks for asking about my groin! Lol! I am slowly, slowly, slowly improving, but I feel like I have to keep taking ibuprofen each night or it doesn't actually get better. :( I'm able to walk without limping sometimes now, but I haven't been able to really work out yet, and it's driving me crazy. I miss it so much and I can feel myself getting squishy!! Ugh. I had to skip the gym again today and my weekends were always a little more lax, because I'd go to the gym for like two hours, and not worry so much about calories and how much I'm eating because I knew I burned a lot. But now I have to be just as uptight with my food on weekends as I do during the week, and I think that was something Whole30 had tried to break me out of. Sadly, old habits die hard.

I hope you're feeling better by now and not having to take ibuprofen every night!  I know what you mean about missing exercise.  The only real exercise I have time for right now is walking my dog for 2 miles every day, but I sure miss it when weather or schedules don't allow for it.  

As far as NSV's, I noticed that my sleep was much improved this time around.  During my 1st W30, I was sick throughout much of it, and the 2nd one I was stressed out with too much going on.  This time, I slept a solid 7 hours most nights.  (That is an hour longer than usual).  Also, I didn't miss sugar in my drinks as much.  I actually prefer unsweetened tea now.  I have put a little sugar in my tea since finishing the W30, and each time I put less and less, and it is still too sweet!  

I'm getting better about the procrastinating, but as you say, old habits die hard!!

We had an awesome weekend at WVU with my college friends.  So good to catch up with old friends...I wish I had some close friends here. At least I have my Whole 30 "daughter". :)

I am doing MUCH better, thank you! I made it to the gym (on lighter activity) twice this week, and I feel like I'm getting better! Which is good, because I also feel like I'm getting squishy from eating and not exercising! Lol. The weather getting colder definitely makes it difficult to get out there for walks - it's just so miserable when your skin hurts in the winter from the freezing air!

That's awesome that you were able to sleep better!! And the difference in sweet tolerance is one of the things I totally love. I used to have SUCH a sweet tooth, but now it's like this crazy insane sensory overload when I eat something sweet. I had teriyaki sauce on chicken last night and was like, "this is like pure sugar!"

And so happy to hear that you had fun with your friends!! It's definitely difficult to spread out as we all grow up and start our own lives in different places... I'm just starting to experience this myself and I feel lonely sometimes. But we will always be surrogate mom/daughter as far as I'm concerned! :) Do you have a Facebook? I just had to reactivate mine after not having it for a while.

Also, I have SUCH exciting news -- I Have my first interview for a librarian position on Monday!!!

I'm so happy that you have your first interview for a librarian position!!! You will definitely be in my thoughts on Monday!! Please let me know when you find something out. Glad to hear you're feeling better, too.  I feel SO much better physically and mentally, even after light exercise like a walk.  

I am still sleeping much better, even after the W30.  I sure hope this continues.  

No, I'm not on Facebook.  Larry is really against Facebook, (long story), and years ago they told the teachers in our union NOT to get on Facebook because too may parents were getting on there looking to find things wrong with their kids' teachers, so I just kind of avoided it.  Now it seems like every teacher I know is on it anyway, but me.  I know what you mean about feeling lonely sometimes.  I used to have a couple of really close friends at work, but now they are either retired, at different schools, or just in a different place in their life than me (like moms with babies or toddlers).  I just don't really have any close friends anymore in the area, and I miss that.  I think I'm a really good friend to people!  I'm so glad I have my surrogate daughter! :)

Hi Wendy! Sorry I've been MIA all week, it's been so crazy with this kitchen renovation that was supposed to take a week and is now creeping into Week 3! :( I really haven't been home much to be on the computer because it's just so stressful to be here, I've been going out as much as possible. But of course Rob and I have been having disagreements and he's all stressed out, too, because he's doing most of the work himself, and it's just been insane.

I'm glad your sleeping has carried over post-Whole30!! That's great to hear. :)

I understand not being on Facebook as a teacher, it's sad that you have to worry about that but it's a reality. I know a lot of my friends who are teachers have different names on Facebook than their real ones. I actually didn't have one myself until recently, I just had to reactivate it because I have to advertise for a book I have being published in December!! So I was curious if we could be FB buddies - but we will stick to here and Pinterest! :)

Also, the interview -- I GOT THE JOB!! They called me on Thursday!! I am starting my actual career on Thursday, November 17!!!! I am SO EXCITED!!! I will finally be a librarian - kind of. I'll be a library associate until I graduate and then I just need to send them my transcripts and I'll automatically be a librarian!!!!

Katie,

I am SO excited for you!   That is awesome!!! I remember how excited I was when I was hired for my first real teaching job (way back in 1989!!!)  The day you start is a great day, too.  My oldest daughter was born on Nov. 17 (she'll be 23)!  I can't wait to hear how the new job goes once you start.  You must have nailed the interview since you heard so soon. :)

Sorry to hear the kitchen remodel is taking longer than anticipated, isn't that always the way with home improvement?  I can totally understand that being stressful.  I hope it all gets done soon, and to both your and Rob's satisfaction!

I've been pretty stressed out about my job lately.  I had two evaluations with my principal the last two weeks, and I just have no idea if he thinks I'm doing a good job or not.  I'll find out on Thursday when we have our post conference.  Last year I cried after our post conference, I'm hoping this year it's more positive.  

Thank you so much!!! I'm so excited too!!! I feel like such an adult!!! And so cool to know I'm starting on an already good day! I have a friend who has that birthday as well! So fabulous. :)
Actually, regarding nailing the interview, I think I must have!! I thought, since I had worked in the department before, that I would have a leg up because they would know me already. But I found out from my new/old supervisor that they actually didn't have the final decision.  They could make a recommendation, but it was actually the person from administration who had interviewed me who made the final choice. So I really did well!! My first interview and I don't even have my degree yet and I got it!! I don't think I've ever felt so proud of myself!!

I think the kitchen SHOULD be mostly done today and we can start getting back to normal living. We have a house appraisal today that Rob has been banging out all the work for, and he should at least be able to breathe once that's over.

I'm so sorry that you've been stressed! My parents all work in the school system and they ALWAYS seem stressed by it. People ask me if I want to be an academic librarian and I always say no thank you! It sounds like NO fun at all. I have a lot of respect for people who care enough to do that kind of work anyway in spite of all the politics and stress. I really hope that you don't cry after your conference. It's so frustrating to not have anything to go off of!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm proud of you, too, my favorite W30 daughter!  I can't wait to hear how you like your new job.

I'll let you know how my post-conference goes.  I feel like it should go well, but you never know.  There shouldn't be a lot of politics and stress in education, but unfortunately that is not the case.  

Did your kitchen get done?  It would be really hard to go so long without a kitchen, so I hope you can get back to normal.  Are you happy with how it turned out?  

Well, my post-conference with my principal went SO much better than I had even hoped for!  :D I got an "accomplished" rating, which is the best (!), and he had lots of wonderful comments.  What a huge relief!  I am so relieved and it's so nice to feel validated that my administrator thinks I'm doing an excellent job.  I tend to have a lot of self-doubt.  I know how hard I work, but it's easy to feel unappreciated and depressed when you don't see immediate results with your students.  I'll just keep plucking away, doing my best daily, and hope that I continue to see improvement in their effort, attitude, and of course, their test scores. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wendy, I'm sooo sorry I've been gone so long! It's been crazy... Rob and I broke up, and I've been moving my stuff out of the house and into my dad's, and it's just been so chaotic. :(

On the bright side, yes, I did start the new job, and it is amazing!! I'm so excited to finally be a children's librarian!!

I'm so happy your conference went well, too!! I hope everything else is going well for you, and for all the other fabulous ladies who may read this. xoxo

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry about the break-up, and chaos that that brings with having to move. :( Sounds like a stressful time, especially with starting a new job.  I'm so glad that it going well.  I sure wish I lived close enough to visit your library.  Libraries are one of my favorite places to spend time, and the children's section is the best part of any library!  

Everything here is fine.  I'm off for 5 days now, and looking forward to cooking, spending time with family, and a little decorating and shopping.  I love Thanksgiving and Christmas time.  

Hi ladies.  I've just been catching up since my last post, and, my, a lot has happened!  Sorry I've been MIA.  October was just a crazy month with the hurricane evacuation and having family visiting, and work has been pretty stressful/busy, and then November got a little quieter, but work has still been pretty busy.  I started on a new project, which I'm excited about.  I'm actually on an org chart as the "Solutions Lead."  It's pretty cool.

Katie, so, so sorry to hear about your breakup.  Those can just be devastating, especially when you need to move out.  I'm super excited for your new job!  I'm so proud of you!  I hope that turns out to be a great opportunity.

Wendy, congrats on the praise from your principal.  I know you've been having a tough start to the school year, and I'm glad to hear your administrator thinks you're doing well.

I'm off for 4 days starting tomorrow and staying in Charleston for Thanksgiving.  Drew's family is all coming here.  His brother who used to live here moved back in the middle of October, so we thought it would be a good idea to co-host Thanksgiving this year.  Drew's other brother who lives in Richmond is coming today with his wife and daughter, and they're staying with us.  And my MIL is also coming today and staying with my brother and sister in law.  Even better!  It should be a good time.  We're doing professional family pictures on Friday morning, which I'm looking forward to having.  And I think we'll put our tree and other Christmas decorations up on Sunday, since I think everyone will be gone by then.  

I hope you both have wonderful Thanksgivings!  I'll especially be thinking about and praying for you, Katie!

Hi everyone, this is my first post to W30. Today is day 31. Day 21 I was planning a binge, today I'm not interested, so not worth it! Reintroduction will start on Friday morning. I will be attending a retreat where it is a vegan menu for three days (I'm not one, but open). Lotsa grains and legumes...not interested in adding most of them back in. Wish me luck! I'm looking forward to navigating the food choices.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if anyone still checks this board!

I had my Whole30 baby on December 4, 2016 and after close to two years of eating like total crap I'm doing another Whole30. Was just wondering if any of the old group was still on here. Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi!!! I just logged in for the first time in a while myself! I had my whole30 baby on December 6, 2016... and find myself in the same boat as you, eating like crap! Hubs and I are planning on starting another whole30 and hopefully a second whole30 baby on Feb 2!

Hi, ladies! Good to hear from you! My husband and I were thinking about doing a Whole 30 this month, but we ended up not, since I got the flu on Jan 1, and then I got a stomach bug on Jan 15. We did do our second one in Feb/March of last year. But we definitely need to get back on track!

Congrats on both of your babies!

So glad to hear from you both. Kalina, that's so funny we had our babies two days apart! I'm on day 21 and I have to say, it has not been easy managing all the meal prep. That said, I was really struggling with the postpartum hormones. I stopped pumping right before starting the W30 and man, I underestimated how much that would affect my moods - I was all over the place. I feel so much more level now, though I haven't really gotten to the tiger blood stage - probably because I'm still averaging 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night. We started kind of mid-month so I never really was able to get a group going here on the boards, I miss the support!

Galaxigrl, sorry to hear you got the flu - it's been brutal this year. I'm so afraid we're going to get it!

On 1/31/2018 at 12:13 PM, CGinDC said:

So glad to hear from you both. Kalina, that's so funny we had our babies two days apart! I'm on day 21 and I have to say, it has not been easy managing all the meal prep. That said, I was really struggling with the postpartum hormones. I stopped pumping right before starting the W30 and man, I underestimated how much that would affect my moods - I was all over the place. I feel so much more level now, though I haven't really gotten to the tiger blood stage - probably because I'm still averaging 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night. We started kind of mid-month so I never really was able to get a group going here on the boards, I miss the support!

Galaxigrl, sorry to hear you got the flu - it's been brutal this year. I'm so afraid we're going to get it!

I hear you, I've been weaning my little man and every time we drop a feed.... it's like raging PMS for a couple days. UGH! So glad I've been able to breastfeed, but no one ever warned me about weaning hormone crashes! Perhaps another round of whole30 will help that. I got stricken with stomach flu this week... and looking forward to future prep dates.... hubs and I have decided that Feb 5 is our day 1. So, still in the planning stages for me-- looking forward to diving in on Monday. Good for you for being so far along with it!!! 

Archived