Moving right along!

katieblue

Yes, yes, yes, yes!  I'm STILL feeling guilty over my dinner on Tuesday night.  And why???  It was just one dinner!  And it wasn't even like I was eating a bunch of junk food.  Yes, it wasn't Whole 30, but it was good, fresh, local wholesome, preservative-free food.  But I still feel guilty!  If you figure out how to get rid of the guilt, let me know!

Right there with ya.  The guilt is strong and it's frustrating because the logic reminds me that is was a Whole 30.  We're beyond that 30 now, so shouldn't carry guilt over non-compliance, but logic doesn't always win out over conscience.

ok, sorry you girls feel the guilt, too, but glad I'm not alone.  I was beginning to feel a little crazy.  When I ate the bagel, when I was done I felt so bad you would have thought I'd had some illegal substance. And the worst part, I enjoyed every bite of that bagel! It was the Asiago cheese bagel, and even though it wasn't sweet, I bet it had hidden sugar in there somewhere! Or why else would it have tasted so good?

Wendy

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Galaxigrl,

That sounds like quite a 10 min. workout!  I really need to start lunges and sit-ups again.  I haven't gone to the gym in so long...I've been walking regularly, but really need to build up my strength again.  

I'm really curious about this Kombucha! Ginger and lavender? Sounds delicious!  To be honest, I've never even heard of Kombucha before this board-where do you find it?

And I'll try to run the salad dressing under warm water if it solidifies. The problem I have at work is that I put my lunch in the fridge at work at 8:00, then don't have a break until my lunch at 12:00 (I teach school, so I can't leave my class even for a couple minutes to visit the teacher's lounge).  

Wendy

Galaxigrl,

That sounds like quite a 10 min. workout!  I really need to start lunges and sit-ups again.  I haven't gone to the gym in so long...I've been walking regularly, but really need to build up my strength again.  

I'm really curious about this Kombucha! Ginger and lavender? Sounds delicious!  To be honest, I've never even heard of Kombucha before this board-where do you find it?

And I'll try to run the salad dressing under warm water if it solidifies. The problem I have at work is that I put my lunch in the fridge at work at 8:00, then don't have a break until my lunch at 12:00 (I teach school, so I can't leave my class even for a couple minutes to visit the teacher's lounge).  

Wendy

Not suggesting you buy it on Amazon, but here's what the bottle looks like for the one I usually buy, which I think is the most popular brand:

http://www.amazon.com/GTs-Enlightened-Organic-Kombucha-Gingerade/dp/B00B04BCFC

I get mine at Whole Foods or Earth Fare, but I think our Harris Teeter has them, too.  In Whole Foods/Earth Fare, they're by all of the other drinks.  In Harris Teeter, they're in the produce sections where you might find refrigerated fruit and veggie juices, like the Odwalla brand.

Whenever I used the dressings that solidify, I just run them under warm to hot water until it re-liquifies.  Or, if I just have a small tupperware container I put some in, I pop it into the microwave for a few seconds.

Wendy and Galaxigrl, I have definitely had moments of feeling some guilt, but it passed MUCH more quickly than it would have in the past. I would have beaten myself up for days and called myself every horrible name I could think of in my head for what I'd done. But now I remember what a lot of mods have told others who have struggled with the same issue: We are adults. We never have to feel "bad" for eating anything. It's all just choices, and it's your life, and your body. You may do something that doesn't help us towards our goals, but everyone screws up sometimes, and now it's just about moving forward doing things that will feel good in the future.

Also, we should find some ginger-based recipes, now that we know what big fans of it we both are!! :) And you're so right, it was like a less-overwhelmingly-sweet ginger ale! I really loved it! I'm going to a late Easter dinner at my mom's on Sunday and I'm definitely going to grab some to have while everyone else is drinking wine!

galaxigrl - that workout sounds awesome!  I've been doing exercises that can include my baby, like holding him while I do squats and lunges, and laying him on a mat under me and doing planks and push ups (knee push ups, I'm not strong enough to do real push ups yet!  :o).  He likes it when I do sit ups, and lift my butt off the floor (what would you call that?) when he's on my belly too.

I found kombucha at one of the stores today, the GT's gingerade.  It was the first time I've tried it, and I loooove it!  Definitely going to order that scoby now, along with some loose leaf tea, and try making my own.

Ramonax - I'll try putting some yogurt on his skin and see what happens.  I don't think it he has a serious allergy from what I've read, and apparently many dairy-sensitive babies outgrow their sensitivity by 6-18 months, and most outgrow it by 3 years.  I'm hoping that's all it is.  

Hope you have some nice weather where you are, I saw on the news it was pretty warm in Whitehorse too.  Our high hit 68F today!  Still loving all this light too.  :)

Do those vinaigrettes really need to be refrigerated? If there's just vinegar, oil, and seasonings, they're probably fine at room temp, especially with how fast they're probably getting used up.  I leave mine out all the time, even if there's garlic (roasted garlic vinaigrette!! Yum!) and such.

I had some sourdough hotcakes this morning, they were pretty good.  I felt hungry pretty soon after, though.  I had sautéed broccoli and meat tomato sauce topped with fried eggs for lunch.  A friend gave us some yellowfin, and I have chunks of it marinating for skewers on the BBQ.  Tossed it with lemon zest, garlic, oregano, salt, and olive oil.  I'll alternate it with slices of lemon on the skewers, and have veggies on separate ones.  Mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and red onion.  I couldn't find good zucchini, which I'm bummed about because grilled zucchini is my fave!  Just waiting on hubby to come home, he went out with a buddy to set a longline for some halibut.  He's one of those guys who insist on being the grillmaster.  You know those, "Me make fire.  Me cook meat."  :rolleyes:

I certainly haven't been refrigerating my vinaigrettes! The only thing that's in them that I keep in the fridge was the dijon mustard, and I haven't encountered any kind of problem with keeping the two teaspoons in each batch at room temperature for a week or so until it's used up!

I have to wonder where that caveman attitude about the grill came in. I mean, it's not like we're any less capable of sticking a hunk of meat over a fire until it's brown and yummy. ;) But I feel like men are always all over the grill!

You're really making me crave some fish and veggies - I wish it wasn't so expensive where I am! I didn't get to eat any on my last Whole 30. Maybe I'll really make an effort to save on this one. I have to say, I didn't do any massive food prep, but I think that I'll be okay because I'm mostly still in the groove from the last one.

First day of our second Whole 30, ladies (some of us, anyway)!!! Who's pumped?! :)

I went out to Red Robin with my dad, stepmom and boyfriend last night, and while I didn't have to be compliant, I did do some investigating. And I was so proud of myself; I resisted the appetizer chips and artichoke dip (I just ate the celery plain), I ordered steamed broccoli instead of fries, and I got a lettuce-wrapped burger with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and no cheese. According to their allergy statement, I avoided soy, wheat, gluten, dairy, and peanuts by eating this way. I didn't make any phone calls, since technically I hadn't started the Whole 30 yet, so I'm not sure about their seasonings or anything. And I did eat regular ketchup - dear god, I was hoping maybe it wouldn't be as addicting, but I probably used half a bottle on my burger. On the bright side, the boyfriend and I both agreed that the homemade ketchup tastes better, even though it's not exactly what we think of when we think "ketchup". So I can definitely be okay with going back to eating that for 30 days!

I think I'm back on for maybe a Whole 7 - I've had a lot of things sneak in the last few days and I'm definitely seeing some negatives. On Wednesday my lunch unexpectedly had soy and I had some tummy issues, then yesterday my husband brought home gelatto. He's trying, but he's not great about reading the labels and it had soy in it, in addition to brownie chunks, so there was wheat too. I ate some anyway, and my belly didn't feel so good afterwards. And then after about 30 minutes I started itching really badly on my legs. I think maybe it was the wheat? That was the only new thing that I hadn't introduced yet. In any case, I got off track with reintroductions so I'm going to clean things up for a few days to a week and try again.

One the milk allergies - my mother had to wean me early when I was a baby and I had severe reactions to both cow's milk-based formula and soy-based formula...to the point that I wasn't putting on any weight and my pediatrician was about to have me hospitalized. The only thing that worked was goat's milk that she bought at the natural foods store (way back before Whole Foods was a thing). Anyway, I outgrew it - and dairy seems to be the only thing I've added back in that doesn't bother me!

katie: I'm definitely up for finding ginger recipes.  I'll take a look on Pinterest and see if I come up with anything cool.

ksea: Glad you liked the kombucha!  And I love your baby workout!  So sweet!  Sometimes I do bicep curls with my son.  He thinks it's hilarious.  And thanks for the tip on the vinaigrettes.  I never thought about leaving them at room temp.

katie and CGinDC: Good luck on your first day of your Whole30/Whole7!  Keep us posted!

I have most of a meal plan done for the coming week, and the only day I should be non-compliant is Wednesday when I go out to dinner with some friends...unless we go out to eat at all this weekend.  My grandmother who is 88 and lives in Pennsylvania is coming to visit for a couple of weeks.  She arrives at the train station around 7:20 tonight.  I'm so looking forward to seeing her!

CG, definitely can understand that, and I'm sorry you aren't feeling well after eating some off-plan stuff! I hope you feel better soon. I know a Whole 7 should definitely help; I felt like death after Easter and I felt fine after 2-3 days of "Whole" eating again!

Galaxigrl, I'll go on the hunt for some ginger recipes, too! I generally don't like cooking but it's fun making the same thing with someone else and comparing. :)

And thanks for the well wishes!!

So awesome about your grandma, I hope you have an awesome time with her. :) Will she eat Whole 30 with you? Haha!

Katie - Gram will be eating Whole30 with us, for dinner at least!  For breakfast and lunch, she's probably eat her normal foods, like oatmeal, fruit, and yogurt.  She kind of has a routine with that stuff, which is fine with me.  She's not too picky, and I tried to find stuff I think she'll like.  I love cooking, when I have the time, and having her here will help with that, because she can entertain my son after daycare while I make dinner.  I've picked out some new, interesting recipes!

katieblue - that's great you ate so mindful at dinner last night!

galaxigrl - Grammie!  I love grandmas.  Hope you all have fun.  I bet she will have a blast with your son, huh?  There's something I love about seeing grandparents and babies together.

Both of you: You should try the slow cooked pork shoulder posted about before.  I put a ton of ginger in it.  Turned like carnitas, but with an asian/hawaiian flavor profile.  So yummy!

I'm so excited to be starting another Whole30 today too!  A round of reintroductions just confirmed to me that I didn't miss any of those foods.  

The only sugar I consumed was that slice of key lime pie on Easter.  I did notice that the next morning and for a few other days this week, I wanted to sleep in.  Usually my baby wakes up when daddy is getting ready for work. I've been getting up with him, letting him nurse, and he goes back down for a nap while I have a good breakfast and some mommy time.  A couple of mornings this week I would bring him to the bed and let him nurse while we fell back asleep.  This was also the case before I started the Whole30.  

My weight has stayed the same since I started reintroductions, while I lost 6 lbs. / at least an inch off all my measurements at the end of the Whole30.  I didn't let myself stress about my weight gain during pregnancy/post-partumn, because I believe that stress has a direct effect on the development of baby, and the stress would only harm me as well.  I ate lots of healthy foods, but also lots of not so nutritious foods, and gained 50 lbs.  I wish I had known about W30 during my pregnancy!  I would have made way better choices.  Now I know that I can lose weight in a really healthy way.  I'm still 10 lbs. over my average pre-pregnancy weight (it seemed to fluctuate quite a bit, and I was only an occasional weigher), and it's nice to know I'm on the right track!

Definitely share any recipes that are winners, then!! I hope you guys have a blast! :)

ksea, thanks for the reminder about the pork shoulder! I'm actually going to grab one I've had in my dad's freezer. I was going to make carnitas out of it, but maybe I'll try your recipe instead! I do love me some ginger and pineapple. :)

Way to go on losing as much as you already have of your baby weight - and I definitely think this is working in so many awesome ways on our bodies, you'll be where you want in no time.

There's something weirdly comforting about being back in another Whole 30, even though Day 1 seems slightly intimidating? Haha.

Good luck to those who are starting again, whether it's a 30 or a 7!  Those of us not starting again are still here to encourage you! 

I've been feeling bloaty for a couple of days but that seems to have finally gone away this afternoon.  Not sure what was going on, but won't stress about it.  I went out to lunch today with two dear friends and had a great salad with greens, tomato, chicken, avocado, and a balsamic vinaigrette.  I didn't check for compliance on the dressing and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch without feeling guilty.  That's a good step forward.  I feel like I need to allow for some guilt-free non-compliance now that I'm in the reintro phase, but that's easier said that done, as has already been discussed here.  And although I'm not jumping right back in to another W30, I'm planning on making some of the condiments from the book.  The only thing I made last month was the egg-free mayo and it never emulsified.  I finally realized that the recipe calls for light olive oil, not EVOO.  Rather than throw it out, it's been in the fridge, which puts it in solid form, but it melts so nicely on hot meat, giving a wonderful garlicky flavor.  I made the carnitas last week and they'll be on the list for next week too.  Sooo good!  If you have the Well Fed cookbook, give the Rogan Josh a try.  It's become a family favorite here. 

Romanax and galaxigrl, thanks for posting about your exercising!  I need to get myself going and will try to roll out of bed early to go walking tomorrow.  Thanks for the motivation!

Hi dudes. I am currently on holiday with my husband. I am going to join you on a w30 when I return. I am trying to not go off the rails too much. My thinking seems to be " well, if I've already had sugar, it won't hurt to have a little more.." And it seems progressive. Yesterday I was able to be mindful. Ate off program, but loved what I ate and felt like I made good choices..today I had baguette..which I didn't even want that much..which led to Danish which led to Mexican food with beans/rice/wheat AND cheese. And dessert. So I'm going to stop that thinking. I've never really had a forum to discuss this before. This might be my real chance to stop my addictive sugar seeking crazy thinking!

I read all your posts. I love checking in here. I laugh at the idea at doing exercises with your baby...i would break my spine my baby is such a bubba.

Galxigirl, congrats on your workout! Hope you stay motivated.

Katie and ksea, thinking if you as you start your new whole30! I get the overwhelming feeling but you already know you can handle it for the whole thirty days, so you know you've got this!

Wendy, I don't feel guilty about reintroducing off plan food, dinner to me the while point of this was to see if I have dietary sensitivity, but yesterday I had a few potato chips and they were completely compliant with ingredients but I felt sooooooo guilty as they are snack food and that is just a big no no!

CG hope you're still feeling fine!

The legumes did not treat me very well. As soon as I posted last time, I had to run to the bathroom. I also spent the day with foggy brain and bloating and the intestinal distress happened the next morning as well. :P poo... Now I have to figure out if there's a specific legume trigger or if my tummy trays all legumes the same. But I'll figure that out later.

Yesterday I reintroduced non gluten grains. I had rice and corn. How I missed chips and salsa! *knock on wood* everything seems to be OK so far, but I learned the hard way after the legumes that I'm not in the clear yet!

How's everyone else doing with reintroductions?

jen, I love that you're eating a healthy version of non-compliant without feeling guilty! Sometimes I feel like there is so much importance placed on these rules that it is kind of hard on us when we break them, because it feels like we're doing something wrong, even though there is the whole "riding your own bike" concept. Emotions are tricky to navigate. But it looks like you're all over a happy medium. :)

Ramonax, I definitely think that like, with any addiction, half the battle is admitting it! Having the forums has really helped me to be more honest with myself about all of this. And also managing that food guilt, and remembering that you CAN eat anything you want, but if you don't WANT to eat it, then there's the kicker! It's so much easier said than done, though. I know you can keep the sugar dragon in check!! Totally believe in you!!

Kalina, I'm sorry you had a hard time with legumes!! I do hope that the chips and salsa are sitting okay with you, though. Definitely my favorite junk food ever. :)

jen, I love that you're eating a healthy version of non-compliant without feeling guilty! Sometimes I feel like there is so much importance placed on these rules that it is kind of hard on us when we break them, because it feels like we're doing something wrong, even though there is the whole "riding your own bike" concept. Emotions are tricky to navigate. But it looks like you're all over a happy medium. :)

Ramonax, I definitely think that like, with any addiction, half the battle is admitting it! Having the forums has really helped me to be more honest with myself about all of this. And also managing that food guilt, and remembering that you CAN eat anything you want, but if you don't WANT to eat it, then there's the kicker! It's so much easier said than done, though. I know you can keep the sugar dragon in check!! Totally believe in you!!

Kalina, I'm sorry you had a hard time with legumes!! I do hope that the chips and salsa are sitting okay with you, though. Definitely my favorite junk food ever. :)

I have a long way to go through the navigation of emotions with reintros.  It's much harder than I expected it would be - this feeling that I'm doing something wrong.  I'm doing a lot of self-talk to remind myself that reintro is part. of. the. plan.  No guilt necessary.  Again, easier said than done.  I do have new motivation to finish my reintros this month though.  My husband is strongly considering doing a Whole 30.  Talk about an NSV!!  He gets hives very easily when outdoors, especially when there's a chill in the air, or when he's doing yard work and dealing with plants, dirt, sweat, etc.  When he came in from a couple hours of yard work today, he had hives all over his torso and arms.  A Whole 30 could reduce inflammation enough to eliminate this annoying symptom.   Of course I told him I'd do it with him.  May would be a good month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be ready to give it a go.  HUGE step for him.  Giving up milk will likely be his biggest challenge. 

Kalina, I'm sorry the legumes were so disagreeable but glad you have that information now moving forward.  Good luck with the rest! 

I tried wild rice today and so far, so good.  It was the same experience as the corn though . . . I got too full too quickly and wished I'd had more room for vegetables.  I'll plan to try oats on Wednesday. 

I hope all of you are doing well! 

I have a long way to go through the navigation of emotions with reintros.  It's much harder than I expected it would be - this feeling that I'm doing something wrong.  I'm doing a lot of self-talk to remind myself that reintro is part. of. the. plan.  No guilt necessary.  Again, easier said than done.  I do have new motivation to finish my reintros this month though.  My husband is strongly considering doing a Whole 30.  Talk about an NSV!!  He gets hives very easily when outdoors, especially when there's a chill in the air, or when he's doing yard work and dealing with plants, dirt, sweat, etc.  When he came in from a couple hours of yard work today, he had hives all over his torso and arms.  A Whole 30 could reduce inflammation enough to eliminate this annoying symptom.   Of course I told him I'd do it with him.  May would be a good month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be ready to give it a go.  HUGE step for him. 

Jen, I agree that reintros have been much harder than I anticipated--I had not expected to feel so guilty about non-compliant items once "off" the W30.

That's so great your husband is considering doing a W30 with you!  My husband and I are definitely doing one starting May 1.  I hope he does decide to do it with you.  Good luck!  I never expected my husband to follow the program to the letter like he did (he has been a huge evening snacker in the past, and big on carbs (pretzels, crackers, etc.), but he did great.  His favorite new word is "compliant!"  

Wendy

jen, that's SO awesome about your husband! (not the hives part, but that he's considering a Whole 30!) Now that I'm doing this round by myself and watching my boyfriend eat whatever he wants (he totally botched reintros and doesn't care - he lost 12 pounds so he's happy), I realize how much easier it is to have a partner on board with you, especially in social situations.

Crazy how carbs like corn and rice can really fill you up and make you feel bloated! I was grain-free before my Whole 30 in a sad attempt to try and get Shakira abs (boy, was I misguided) and I know that on the rare occasion that I had a little (if someone made some homemade fried rice or cilantro-lime rice or something), I would feel so blown up forever.

Wendy, so happy you guys have another one scheduled for next month, too!! Maybe you'll encourage me to keep mine going, as April 30 will be the last day for myself and ksea and I'm so sorry I can't keep track of everyone who is doing everything. :P

Shake off the guilt!! We can eat whatever we want - it's our choice! There are no "bad" or "evil" foods - just things that make us feel not so great, but it's up to us to decide if they're worth it! It's still early, and we're still learning. Much love and support to you guys - I totally understand it's easier said than done, but I believe in all of us!! :wub:

I think this round is going to give me even better results, because I'm used to eating this way now and aside from one day, didn't really derail like a crazy person! I'm not experiencing the fog or headaches, and I'm adapted to how things taste, and in the mindset of the massive food prep. We're going to my mom's for a late Easter dinner tonight, and while she means well, she really doesn't understand the Whole 30, so I'm arming myself with things I can eat. She's making pulled pork, so I made this BBQ sauce, and holy wow, it is GOOD. (Definitely has a kick to it!) If you like chipotle flavor, I absolutely recommend it. I also made a pineapple-broccoli slaw with Whole30 mayo and a sweet potato, apple, walnut, and raisin bake with some spices and clarified butter. As long as she stayed compliant with cooking the pork (I really tried to talk to her about it, I really did), I should have a really fabulous meal all for myself. Of course, I did bring enough to share... ;)

Aside from that, I had an awesome workout this morning (it was leg day and I killed it! and did 5 miles at the same pace I used to before the Whole 30 knocked me off with its detoxing and fogginess)! :)

Like Jen, hoping everyone else is doing well, too!!

Even though my husband and i are not doing a W30 right now, I am still making some "compliant" recipes, since we are still trying to eat healthy, and not get too far off track. Last night, I made the Paleo Reuben cabbage rolls.  Katieblue, was it you who posted this link around St. Patty's day?  If so, THANK YOU!!!

We loved them, they were so yummy!!! I used the W30 basic mayo recipe in place of the "Paleo mayo" it called for in the recipe, and the only other changes  I made was that I used regular Heinz ketchup (only needed 2 tablespoons, and was feeling too lazy to make compliant ketchup), and I omitted the pickles, as I HATE pickles.  

I will definitely be making this again during our May W30, if not sooner.

Wendy

katieblue,

Good for you for doing such an awesome workout, and doing this W30 solo without your boyfriend.  I'm not sure I could do it alone without my husband, I'd probably do "ok," but would be too tempted to cheat if he wasn't there to say, "No, you can do this! You don't NEED wine or sugar in your tea!" haha

Your BBQ sauce and pineapple-broccoli slaw sound amazing!

Glad to hear the fog and headaches are gone!

You go, girl!  :D

Wendy

katie, good luck with the late-Easter dinner.  It sounds like your plan will work well and is similar to what I did for Easter dinner too. 

wendy, let's stay connected on starting again on May 1st.  We can follow along with one another.

The wild rice may not be my friend.  I went to bed last night with a minor headache and some ick running back behind my nose.  Still the same this morning.  It's my first headache or inkling of sinus drainage since beginning W30 on Feb. 22.  I'm having meal #2 with the rice for breakfast and am not taking anything to combat the headache or drainage because I want to stay very aware of what it feels like, not try to mask it.  If it continues, I won't bother with the rice in a third meal but will instead cross it off of my future foods list.  It's so good to learn this stuff!

Thanks for the support, ladies!! :)

And yes that was me who posted the Reuben Rolls, SO glad you liked them!! I totally have been thinking about them since then, they were spot-on!! :D

Sorry you don't feel well, Jen. :( Do you live in an area with lots of allergens in the air? I know we've both been dealing with allergy fog the past few days where I am.

Thanks for the support, ladies!! :)

And yes that was me who posted the Reuben Rolls, SO glad you liked them!! I totally have been thinking about them since then, they were spot-on!! :D

Sorry you don't feel well, Jen. :( Do you live in an area with lots of allergens in the air? I know we've both been dealing with allergy fog the past few days where I am.

Allergies were my first suspicion.  But my head has cleared up this afternoon even though I've been outside nearly all day.  So that's good and I'll continue on with clean eating the next few days and then try oats as planned.  After I've tried all of my reintros, I'll give the rice a second try and see what happens.  I feel like reintro is challenging because you end up analyzing (or over-analyzing) and become suspicious of any little thing that could possibly be an adverse reaction.  And maybe it is a reaction or maybe it's not, like in seasonal allergies.  Unless it's a hugely pronounced reaction, it seems that a second intro trial will be needed in order to be sure.  But it's worth it in the long run. 

Since I was 10 years old (I'm 43 now), I've suffered from terrible seasonal allergies, with the season lasting from mid-February through October.  Every grass, tree, weed, . . . basically if it grows outdoors, I'm allergic.  So are my husband and kids.  They all had to start allergy meds weeks ago and so far:  I've sneezed exactly ONE time!  No allergy meds, no inhaler, no nasal spray.  It's been pretty incredible how big of a difference reduction of systemic inflammation makes.  And it's just another motivator to keep going.  But I'm really struggling to avoid the chocolate chips!  They're going to have to leave the pantry.  Avoidance was easy during the W30, but post, yikes!  :wacko:

Archived