Moving right along!

katieblue

HI all.  Sorry I've been MIA again!  Work has been really busy, I had a lot of company this weekend, and then I lost my phone on Saturday (and found it Saturday night - so thankful!).  But just wanted to let you know I'm still here.  I was just catching up on posts, and realized I hadn't posted since Thursday!  Crazy!  I had a great weekend with my Gram (who is still visiting) and a semi-surprise visit from my mom and her husband, Bill.  They were here to look at condos in Murrells Inlet, which is about 1.5 hours from where I live, and they bought one!  So, they'll be living in PA for most of the year and then for about 3-4 months close to me.  It's very exciting!  

Kalina: Hope you enjoy your vacation!  To answer your question, I think my issues were just overeating in general.  I've been eating some stuff off-plan, and I haven't noticed any particular thing giving me issues.

Katie: So glad to hear you're having an awesome day!  Especially on a Monday!  I LOVE the lavender kombucha.

ksea: How is your scoby coming along?  I really want to try making kombucha myself, too.  I had some locally made stuff at our Farmers Market on Saturday, and it was not nearly as sweet as GT's.  It was very tasty, though!

As for eating, I've been still sticking to mostly W30.  And my husband told me on Friday that I'm looking slimmer!  I don't really see it, but it made me really happy when he said that, because he's not one to just say stuff like that.  So, we're chugging along with our mostly W30 cooking/eating.  I am making an exception tonight to eat my Gram's homemade pierogies, since they're just about my favorite food in the whole world.  Sometimes you gotta splurge!

Hope y'all are doing great!  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katie and ksea: I've made these Salt & Vinegar wings a few times and really enjoyed them, and I've also made these Buffalo drumsticks.  I'm sure you can cook the wings the same way as the first recipe, and then just coat them in Buffalo sauce instead of Salt & Vinegar.

ksea: I made this chicken from Nom Nom Paleo with the sauce last week, and it was delicious!  I'll have to try the other one and the zucchini fritters.

ksea, thank you so much for getting pumped with me!! And I am also SO happy for you that you feel so great since eating clean, too!! It's so amazing what a transformation this has been. I definitely think there's a disconnect between men and women on this front, too, because of societal pressures and a whole slew of things that are aimed at tearing us down. My boyfriend doesn't really get it, same as your husband. But we get it, and now we're getting out of it, and that is honestly the best thing that could possibly come out of any of this, in my opinion. :)

I didn't get my wings yet, because like you, I don't know how to get them that lovely crispy without frying them! The broiler is definitely tricky. I've generally always baked them and then tried switching it on for the last few minutes, but they don't ever get to be the good, crispy consistency I'm looking for. That's why I've just stuck with the paleo chicken fingers so far! :P But I wonder if maybe we rolled them in almond or coconut flour, or arrowroot starch, even, if it might help.

Galaxigrl, I actually have those salt & vinegar wings on my list to make for the last week of this Whole 30! I've been excited about them ever since you posted them, as I love Salt & Vinegar anything. :D Did they get crispy? Also, o you have any ideas for good sides for them? I was thinking of baking some sweet potato fries.

And that is so awesome about your mom!! Having her in PA all the time must be hard. It sounds like you're getting a lot of family love - and from your husband, too, with the compliments!! Like ksea said, I think we're always just way harder on ourselves, so you really might just not see it (yet)!

Also, wow, those chickens look impressive! You ladies far exceed my culinary capabilities! (I get squeamish around poultry innards -- I am 99% the cook in our house but I make Rob take care of the turkey guts for Thanksgiving!!)

Hi everyone! I've also been a bit MIA here but it's great to see that everyone is doing well. I have pretty much gone off plan, mainly because I'm SO tired. This little alien is sucking all my energy and I've just been fine with whatever my husband feels like cooking. Tonight he's making fried chicken...I'm sure my stomach is going to be a little bubbly afterwards but I just don't care at this point. Once I'm out of the extreme tiredness phase of the first trimester I'll get back on plan.

We had our first ultrasound today - saw the heartbeat and everything! I'm six and a half weeks along. 

Galaxigrl, I finally tried the lavender kombucha with my lunch today - you were right, it was SO yummy! I saved the other half to have with dinner. :)

I don't know about you all, but today is Day 11 of the second Whole30 and I feel AMAZING. I'm tired, but that's because I've had screwy sleep again (not food related, I'm sure, just anxiety from the 3,000 tons of homework currently sitting in my lap). But I actually looked in the mirror this morning and stretched around and flexed and stuff and was like, "Wow. I actually look pretty good." I feel like I still have some squish around my tummy, but my arms and back look so lean and muscular! Even my thighs, which have been getting bigger (hence the need for new jeans) have some muscle definition. I feel so encouraged and excellent!! I literally thought to myself, "Who cares what I weigh if I keep looking like this??" (WHO AM I?!)

Then, I was communicating with my academic advisor about my summer schedule, and she congratulated me on my "exemplary grades" and said I must work very hard. I AM DYING, I'm about to burst with pride!! I feel like I've been able to focus and be much more efficient with my work since I have been eating clean and my attitude has totally changed and I can actually accept this compliment and my self-esteem is skyrocketing and I just had to share these huge NSV's because I've totally turned around since my last rant on here!! And I found out I didn't get the full-time job I interviewed for but I really don't even care because now I can keep focusing on school and moving forward and get an actual career when I'm done in a year - and all of this is motivation to keep going, to keep eating right and exercising and being awesome!!

I hope you're doing as well!! :)

katieblue,

That's so great that your academic advisor has noticed your hard work and exemplary grades!  Way to go!  I'm sorry you didn't get the full-time job you interviewed for, but it sounds like you have a great attitude about it.  I know what you mean about motivation.  I have had increased productivity at work, and a better attitude.  I have been more motivated to get things done, and I completed 2 applications for other jobs during my spring break.  I'm happy with my position now, just not happy with my administrator. He is very demanding and negative.  I decided I don't need that stress in my life.  

Wendy

Hey Wendy! Thanks so much for the enthusiasm!! :)

I'm glad you're feeling more positive, too! Sorry that you have to deal with negativity, but I think it's awesome that you're making steps to move to something better!! We are doing such great jobs at taking care of ourselves now :D This has really helped with staying in the mindset!

Has anybody else tried making whole30 ketchup? I feel like it has the consistency of sauce but it tastes AMAZING. I completely smothered my burger in it tonight. :P

And I had an extra bag of broccoli slaw so I dumped it in a skillet with some clarified butter, tossed in some raisins, salt, and pepper, and sauteed it until it was soft. I wasn't sure how it was gonna go, but it was delicious!! I would highly recommend it as an easy side!

I haven't tried the ketchup. But I will. Katie, if you didn't get the job, it means the are insane and you don't want it. I would hire you in a second!

CGinDC eat whatever you need. Congrats on ultrasound. so exciting! Was it emotional? 

So I went to a brunch yesterday. There were crepes and whipped cream and a pavlova (chocolate meringue and fruit and wiped cream) and cinnamon buns. and last night for my son's bday dinner I made pasta and garlic bread. And throughout that I stayed (mostly) on plan. I think there was cream in the eggs and I had a piece of bacon that probably had sugar. But I stayed away from the crazy stuff and I practiced moderation and I was fine. 

CG, thanks for checking in and giving us the good ultrasound news!  I'm so glad to hear everything went well.  And as others have said, eat what you need to right now. 

katie, how great that you feel AMAZING!  If I remember right, you were still fighting tiredness at this point in the first round.  Sounds like you're really benefiting from taking it into a second round.  Way to go!

kalina, happy vacation! 

My youngest has requested Olive Garden for his birthday dinner this weekend.  I've checked out their menu and there are several things I can order and stay close to compliant, or at least staying within the bounds of where I'm at with reintroductions. 

It was SO emotional. When I first got to the doctors office a nurse was walking a woman out who was crying really hard - not what you want to see when you're about to have your first look at the baby! It took the doctor a minute to find the little bean, it felt like ages. He kept making jokes about multiples, which my husband didn't appreciate.

I'm so tired, and I'm not sleeping well. It's funny - I would probably benefit from going back on plan or at least trying to stick to it 90%. I just have no energy to think about meal planning and grocery shopping!

katie: The wings don't get that crispy, but they have great flavor.  I don't know if a few mins under the broiler would help.  I usually have them with veggies (baby carrots, celery sticks, pepper sticks) and the ranch dressing from the book.  And then usually another veggie.  I think sweet potatoes would go great with them!  I haven't tried the ketchup yet, but I'm glad to hear it's good.  I'm not a huge ketchup person, but my husband likes it.  We tried the Tessamae's, and I thought it was just ok.  I'd much rather have a mayo based condiment.  And thanks for the quick side dish idea!  I'm always looking for good sides!

CG: That's awesome that you were able to hear the heartbeat.  The first time I heard it, I teared up.  It's so amazing, isn't it???  I'm sorry your experience started out a bit stressful.  I definitely wouldn't worry about being off plan.  There's no way I would have had the energy for W30 during my first trimester!

Wendy: Good luck in the job search!  No one needs a horrible boss.  You spend too much time at work for that!

Ramona: So impressed you were able to resist most of that yummy food!  My grandmother asked me to get her some Cinnabons on Sunday, and I've had a small piece of those after dinner the last two nights.  I've decided they're definitely something that's worth it to me.  They're so, so good!

jen c: That's great that you've already planned ahead for Olive Garden.  Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

My Gram made her amazing pierogies last night, and I ate 9!  9!  I think that was probably not the best idea, but I don't care!  She only comes once every few months, so I know I won't be eating them all the time.  I am starting to wonder if I have somewhat of a gluten sensitivity, though.  They did make me feel bloated after I ate them.  But I also feel bloated now, and I didn't before I ate breakfast.  And I had a Whole30 meal for breakfast.  Do you think it could still be after effects of the pasta?  Speaking of breakfast, we made this Italian Chicken Casserole.  Highly recommend!  For breakfast or any meal!

Now I'm thinking of the time I went to get laser eye surgery. I was very nervous about the whole thing. I got to the clinic and was waiting in a room with about 15 people - we were all waiting to be called to our various appts - suddenly we all hear this scream. A guy comes running out of a room shrieking, runs into the wall and either knocks himself out or passes out. But a large CLUNK then a slow descent to the floor. After all the hubbub of reviving him and sitting him down we all learn he was the husband of a woman getting the surgery - he was in the room with her watching. 

I cancelled my surgery that day and still wear glasses.

http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/04/07/paleo-whole30-ketchup/

That's the ketchup recipe I used. It has quite a kick to it and I just cannot get enough. It's the best in the paleo chicken fingers or some baked fries!!

Ramonax, you are so sweet, thanks for making my day!! :)

I am SO impressed with you for staying away from all the junk food!! Holy wow, I know I went to a breakfast buffet on Easter and saw cannoli cream and nearly died. Haha. Way to have willpower!!

Jen, I definitely was tired last time, pretty much the whole 30 days! I started to pick up right in the last few. But doing another so soon was a great choice, I feel even more benefit. Thanks for the encouragement!!

I'm curious what you found at Olive garden that could be largely compliant! I used to love going there because they were one of the first places to offer gluten free pasta. :)

Galaxigrl, what a great idea to have veggies and ranch with the wings, it would be just like what you get when you go out! (Seriously, how did I miss that?) And you know how I feel about sweet potatoes with anything... :)

I SO hear you on grandma's cooking being a 'worth it' food! I also know that for me, I'm blown up and bloated for up to a week whenever I have gluten, depending on how much I have. So 9 of then could definitely have you still feeling it this morning if you have a sensitivity. I hope you feel better soon!!

I'm making these baby back ribs tonight: http://www.happywifestyle.com/blog/baby-back-ribs

I've only ever made ribs once before and they were in the crock pot! I'll let you all know how it goes. I made the BBQ sauce that she links to on that page and that was radical, if you like Chipotle/Smoke flavor! I've got a whole30 potato salad and sauteed collard greens planned as sides. But now I'm at work and realized I forgot to hard-boiled eggs. Whoops. :P

Baby back ribs sound so good!  I'll put those on a future menu.  I was browsing through our original group thread and had forgotten about so many of the great recipes and ideas everyone had suggested.  It's definitely worth some time to revisit now and then.  I should just be keeping an ongoing list - create my own personal W30 cookbook.  :)   I have a Pinterest board, but it's just been eye candy lately because I've gotten pretty lazy in meal planning and have fallen back into the rut of making plain jane meats and veggies.  I need to put more effort into spicing things up a bit. 

CG, I'm sorry your doctor visit started out so stressful.  I was that crying woman twice and so can fully understand the relief and comfort that comes with seeing the heartbeat for the first time.  Get plenty of rest and eat what you need to.  You're doing great!

Ramonax, that's a funny story!  My husband would have been that guy!  Lol. 

galaxigrl, enjoy the rest of your visit with your grandma!  Her food sounds divine! 

Olive Garden is one of the best restaurant chains when it comes to providing allergen information.  At the bottom of their website, they have links for their allergen and gluten info, and along with listing the top 8, they also include sulfites and more.  It's our youngest who is anaphylactic to dairy, egg, sesame, peanut, and tree nuts, and OG has become his favorite restaurant because he can eat something other than a hamburger, which is typically the only thing he can order anywhere else.  At OG he can get spaghetti with tomato sauce and italian sausage and it's totally safe for him, and the bread sticks are too!  We also appreciate how attentive they are to meeting the allergy needs. 

I've reintro'ed corn, sugar, and soy without feeling any negative effects.  Rice gave me a bubbly gut and dairy gave me bubbly gut, gas, and heartburn.  Tonight  I'll try wheat as a minor ingredient in some Aidell's teriyaki meatballs and in stronger doses tomorrow at breakfast and lunch if need be.  Then I'll have more info about what I can eat at Olive Garden this weekend.  I still have oats, peas, and beans to try and am still deciding if I'm going to split out yeast from wheat.  It will depend on how I feel after the meatballs tonight.    

jen c: You are doing so great with the reintros!  

Will everyone offer up their favorite W30-compliant crock pot recipes?  Preferrably ones that cook for at least 8 hours, so I can prep in the morning and leave them cooking all day while at work.  I've done the carnitas, which I love!  I also tried the beef brisket from the book, which I wasn't crazy about (too beefy) and a chili recipe I found online that also wasn't that great.  I would like to try doing at least one crock pot meal/week.  

ksea; i'm definitely going to try your ginger pork.  That sounds excellent!

CGinDC - Nice!  What an exciting moment, seeing the heartbeat!   :wub:  The sound of it never got old to me. Like others here, I say do what you need to do when it comes to eating!  The first trimester was by far the hardest for me, because of the fatigue and stress.   I took more naps during the first trimester then I've probably had in the last 10 years combined.  Squeeze in a nap whenever you can!

Wendy - That's good that you are trying to reduce the stress in your life.  I get really uncomfortable if the people I work with have a constant negative attitude, too.

galaxigrl - That casserole looks really yummy!  I've never thought of using sweet potato and coconut milk as a sauce for a casserole.  Great idea!  And I'm with you on preferring mayo based condiments over ketchup.  Ketchup was always too sweet to me, but my husband likes it on all sorts of stuff.  I'll make the W30 ketchup and see how we like it!  I did I love the blueberry BBQ sauce on my meat/veggies, and that was ketchup based.  Most of the slow cooker meals I make involve moose (ribs, Italian pulled meat, etc.), but that ginger pineapple pork was super yummy.  I bet you can crisp it up, a la carnitas, instead of adding it all back to the juice, and that would be good too!  I saved leftover juice from it and added it to the pot the next time I made soup.  I've been trying to find a good mole sauce to make, that would be good for a slow cooker too!

Ramonax - Way to go resisting sweets at the brunch!  Your story about laser surgery made me smile.  :) I think glasses and contacts are fine for me, too.

katieblue - Ribs!  :P  Your dinner sounds delish!!  Thanks for the ketchup link, too.  I've heard about tossing wings with starch before baking for extra crispyness, need to try it someday!  And veggies and ranch with the wings are a must!  I'm a blue cheese fan, so ranch isn't quite the same, but good nonetheless!

galaxigrl - My scoby is looking good so far!  It feels kind of weird to keep a jar of sweet tea on the counter until it grows something as strange looking as a scoby. But I've fermented lots of foods before, and have never had any trouble, so I'm feeling confident!  From what I've read, some people have trouble growing a scoby using a GT kombucha as a starter, but other people grow one just fine.  Mine is 10 days old now, and the bubbles are connected by a clear film.  It still smells like sweet tea and kombucha, which is a good sign.  I figure if it doesn't work out, I'm just out a half gallon of sweet tea and a cup of kombucha.  I haven't tried to find out if anyone in my town brews kombucha and would be willing to part with a scoby, but I'm sure there's someone if it comes down to it.  Or I can order one online, but it seemed like the ones from reputable sources were a little spendy.  I'm excited to play around with different flavors!

Did you guys see that Melissa Hartwig is coming out with a new book?  It's called Food Freedom Forever.  Sounds like it will focus more on post-W30 life.  Interesting!

Jen, I had no idea that Olive Garden offered so much information on their foods! That's amazing that your son has a place he can go to where he can actually eat things. :)

I love the idea of a Whole30 cookbook, too!! I want to try all the amazing-looking recipes you ladies have tried.

I've been using Pinterest myself, but sometimes it gets overwhelming because I've pinned so many and there's no real way to organize it without splitting it into many different boards! (May need an entire Whole30 Pinterest with different boards! Lol!)

Galaxigrl, my favorite (as far as easiest) recipe in a crock pot is salsa chicken. You literally dump one jar of salsa for one pound of chicken breast into the crock pot, turn it on low for eight hours, and let it go. Then you shred it up and serve it! It's great in sweet potatoes, and I mixed olives in with mine. :) I also drained the chicken juices and added an extra jar of salsa after it was shredded.

Ksea, I'll let you know if I get to the wings before you if I find starch helpful at all!! I hear you on the blue cheese, that was always my favorite (but I now have heard it contains gluten!? What is this life!?)

I'm so impressed that you're trying a scoby, it sounds like so much work! (But I'm easily intimidated in the kitchen, as we know).

Thanks for the heads up on the book, too! I had no idea, but it looks awesome. I think everyone gets intimidated by the idea of riding their own bike, so having more reading can never hurt. But, I do work in a library, so I may be biased. ;)

Speaking of... I GOT A FULL-TIME JOB! I didn't get the one I interviewed for, but they offered me a different one, at the branch I'm already working at, which is 5 mins from my house and I know that I love the people!!! I'm so excited/nervous/terrified/happy/want to cry all at once! I have no idea how this will affect school, but I know that I won't have to worry about benefits anymore and I can start paying off my school loans and omg I don't even know!!! Ahhhh!!!

katieblue - Congratulations!!!  Thats rad you got a full time job with benefits!  So close to where you live, and with a place and people you're already comfortable with!!  I have a feeling you'll make it work with school and all.  Yay!   :lol:

Well, it's a nice day here, I'm packing up baby for a long walk.  I think I figured out a good meal schedule for myself finally.  I don't feel like I need 4 full meals, but when I pack my 22+ lb. baby around on my chest for miles, I feel I need something a little extra.  I made a bunch of mini frittatas in a muffin tin so I can have something to eat when I get home.  I haven't felt the urge to snack nearly as much anymore.  I don't know if walking is considered enough of an exercise to warrant a pre/post WO meal?

katieblue,

Congratulations!!! So happy for you!  That sounds like a big stress reliever--not having to worry about benefits and being able to start paying off student loans!  

Thanks for all the kind words and encouraging words about my job search.  Keeping fingers crossed, but if nothing comes of it, I still love the kids I teach, get along well with all my co-workers, just wish our administrators appreciated all the hard work we do.  

ksea, 

I definitely think a long walk with baby warrants a pre/post WO meal!  Especially a 22+ lb. baby!  I say if you're hungry, eat!  I haven't felt the urge to snack as much as I did before the W30, either.  

Katieblue - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ksea - if the walk doesn't warrant another meal, breastfeeding does. EAT!

Jen - yes, you are doing awesome with the reintros. You are helping me feel in control.

Galaxiegrl - I will think about crockpot meals. We make chili in ours, pulled pork - and I don't use for much other stuff. Which makes no sense as I love it.

Thanks ladies!!! I've been up all night tossing and turning and freaking out over the change. How will I manage this with school?! I think it's going to be absolute hell for the remaining six weeks of my full-time quarter, but I don't want to drop any classes. I can do it!!! Luckily, my boyfriend has been really helpful and offered to do whatever he can to pick up the slack - even cooking, if I need him to! (We'll see about that...) But I'm really excited to be an actual, functioning member of society who can support herself! :)

Ksea, I think it depends on the walk! If you're just leisurely strolling along, I don't think you'd necessarily need a pre/post-WO meal. But this is what it's about, right? Learning to trust our bodies and what they need. If you feel like you need something extra, then I say go for it. I think what I've read so far indicates that the pre-WO meal is always optional, but the post-WO meal of some lean protein is really important. So if you only need a little, maybe focus on that?

Wendy, I understand that working in any school system currently is really difficult. My mom is a special ed teacher at a K-8 school, my dad is a psychologist at the same town's high school, and my stepmom teaches english at the same high school (interestingly, my parents both worked there together before they got divorced, and my dad proceeded to meet my stepmom there after my parents separated, and then married her... can you say high school drama, even with adults??) But they all talk about the politics and the negativity and the challenges they have to face. I really commend you for wanting to teach and connect with kids even in the face of the nasty stuff you have to deal with. I hope that you can find a place where you don't have to deal with so much negativity. :)

Also - those ribs turned out DELICIOUS and they were actually so easy to make - the only downside is having to stay really local to the kitchen because you have to change the temperature and check on them a few times. The BBQ sauce was really simple, too - you didn't even have to heat it up or anything, just dump a bunch of ingredients in a bowl and mix it together! We had them with some Whole30 potato salad, which was amaaaaazing, and collard greens, which I had never made before, but actually didn't turn out bad! (I wish I could have put ham in mine like I put in my boyfriend's, but alas, the sugar and the sulfites!)

ksea: Love the new profile pic!  So sweet!  I might need to try making my own scoby.  Did you go to a specific source to find out how to do it?  Someone local on a FB group I'm in posted that they had one to give away, but I wasn't able to get it.  Maybe he'll have more in the future.  I hadn't heard of the book coming out, but I'm definitely going to be getting it!  I need Food Freedom Forever!

katie: CONGRATS ON THE JOB!!!  I'm so happy for you!  I have confidence that you can make it work with school.  You've done pretty much 6 weeks of Whole30 now, right?  So six weeks of working and school should be a breeze ;).  I forgot about the salsa chicken.  I did make that a week or so ago, and it was really good!  Next time I'll need to add olives.

I made the walnut-crusted pork tenderloin from the book, which I've heard so many good reviews for, but I wasn't crazy about it.  I think it was maybe too much mustard powder for me?  I don't know if that was it, because I like mustard.  Something just seemed off for the taste to me.  Have any of y'all tried that recipe?

My Gram leaves tomorrow morning, and I'm sad about it.  It's so wonderful to have her here, and, at 88, you never know when/if she'll visit again.  She cooks, cleans, plays with my son when I bring him home from daycare after work, and it's just nice to have the company.  I normally get home around 5, and my husband gets home between 6:30 and 7, so it's nice to have someone there when I get home.  She even eats my Whole30 dishes!  She's just such an amazing woman.  13 days really goes by fast!

Archived