Need some tough love and motivation

My indestructible sugar dragon and cycle of binge eating/restricting are what brought me to whole 30. I have never fully completed a whole 30 - the furthest I have gotten is 21 days. I am just so incredibly frustrated because it seems I can truly NOT say goodbye to sugar. After a couple of weeks of whole 30 eating, I have one taste of even natural sugar like maple syrup, and it sets off a chain reaction. I eat a box of cookies, a pint of ice cream, pasta (even though I don't like pasta), macarons (I actually HATE macarons!) and ANYTHING naughty I can get my hands on until I literally can't move. Then I have 1 or 2 days of clean eating and I think I can handle it, then I let myself have an almond milk latte, or a banana with almond butter, and even that sets me off. It's completely out of control, and I'm so sick of the cycle I have been going through for months. I know I'm harming both my body and my mind, but I can't seem to stay away from the sweets.

My goal is to do a whole 90 or whole 100. I know I desperately need it. It's so upsetting and I HATE how sugar makes me feel, but I can't seem to kick it to the curb for good. Just searching for others with similar issues - what have you done to keep you going strong?

• Moderators

Sounds like you are in possession of some really important information about yourself. And my suspicion is you know exactly what choices would best serve you. That's why you're here.

Congrats!

What works for me is to abstain from sugar until it doesn't have its talons in me. I don't give myself the choice of a little taste of maple syrup or a few drops of stevia in my tea or--yep, I'm in the same boat as you here--fruit with nut butter. The peace that NO CHOICE choice gives me is well worth it. And the more template meals and days of template meals and weeks of template meals I string together this way, the easier it becomes to not even think about it. Soon sweets don't even sound good. I lose interest. I remember their destructive powers over me rather than the fleeting taste. It's a beautiful thing.

That's what works for me. 

What also works is transforming my language. Rather than allowing my thoughts, energy, and actions come from a place of fear and desperation (I need to, I have to, I hate this, I can't, I'm sick of, etc.) I make the shift to love and acceptance: It serves me to, I feel so much better when I, I enjoy, etc. The way we speak and the way we think has great power over our intentions, our habits, our behaviors, our beliefs, and our abilities to achieve and be what we desire.

Instead of looking to doing a whole90 or more why not just a whole1... And then another whole1 and another... I just take it one day at a time- when I'm in a period where I'm really abstaining from sugar I tell myself I can have it tomorrow- then I don't feel deprived and when tomorrow comes I tell myself the same thing again... Rinse and repeat!

Just wanted I clarify/ I'm done w my whole30 so I typically don't worry too much about sugar in things- obviously there are days when I want something w sugar and on those then I just tell myself I can have it the next day, unless it's something I've deemed worth it!

Archived