The Holidays.....!!! Calling on successful Whole30ers

MingoNW

I'm going to start my Whole 30 on October 1st. The key question for me is...how long will I do it? Because the holidays are notoriously difficult for me and I imagine a few of you. Ending on the day before HALLOWEEN is kind of setting myself up for a major post 30 sugar binge....

I tend to make LOTS of exceptions to any rules I've made during the year, and any progress I make is generally lost in the time between Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Oh the peppermint bark, the cookies, the pie, etc.....

I've gone through long stretches where I've been very disciplined about my diet and I generally tend to eat very naturally, eat whole foods. But when I go off (travel, birthday, when my boyfriend visits....) it's harder and harder to get back on track. I always go through a pre-diet pre-discipline BINGE phase. You know, I start on MONDAY so, you know, how about a CINNABON on Sunday.... just for old times' sake.... And then I am having more and more false starts, and more and more binge days.....

I know I have a sugar issue, and I have a SNACKING issue. I snack when I'm at work, I snack when I'm stressed and bored and when I am procrastinating, etc.

I know I need to go through this and stick to a 3 meal a day program and cut out the snacking. I need to re-train myself and my body. I need SUGAR/SNACKING REHAB.....

What I'm wondering is if I ought to go straight through Oct 1 to Christmas or New Years and get through those sugary, bready, cheesy holidays with a new life strategy this time. For the long run.

What are peoples' holiday strategies? Ideas, suggestions?

Just start a 30 day plan and get going. If you get to day 31 and are too excited about adding back a lot of non-compliant foods, then it's probably a good idea to extend to a Whole60. If Halloween is a big concern, just start your Whole30 officially on October 3rd so you won't end the day before Halloween. Then it's a non-issue. :)

Honestly, your sugar and snacking when stressed issues sound similar to mine. The Whole30 is awesome, but for me personally, it has taken far more than 30 days to work on all my issues. For me a lifetime of issues and bad habits and yo-yo dieting has been challenging to overcome. Even though I feel great actually doing a Whole30, riding my own bike is much more challenging. But it is getting easier! I completed my second Whole30 in August and am doing a pretty good job of staying compliant as a lifestyle since it ended, although I still snack too much. I will do another official Whole30 beginning October 15th, and then another probably in February. I am making efforts to stay as compliant as possible with minimal offroading in between. For me it's about adopting a whole foods, no grains, dairy or sugar approach to eating as a LIFESTYLE and HABIT for life instead of viewing it as a DIET that has an end date.

Best of luck to you for your Whole30. IMHO, the more scared you are to give up the grains, dairy and sugar, the more important it is to make yourself do it. Developing a healthier relationship with food may take time, but it is worth the effort. I've made good progress so far, but I'm still continuing to work on mine!

I plan to make some paleo treats to get me through the holidays! I know that eating a ton of paleo treats is not a good thing, but I feel like if I bring a grain-free, dairy-free dessert that's sweetened with a little honey, then I have a "healthy" option to eat and others may choose the "healthier" option too! I also try to make sure that my "treats" are high in protein and healthy fats. The important thing is to remember that these are OCCASIONAL treats. Not every day things. Special occasions only :)

Also, like Flynn said... there is so much to look forward to! Turkey, ham, sweet potatoes...etc!

Archived