Day 26: Bummed about no weight loss

So I know you are not supposed to weight yourself on W30 and I have been really good about it all month and avoided the scale. I have also been really disciplined and really stuck to the W30 and made sure to check ingredients, cook at home, stick to the meal template, etc. So no cheating, at all, and I'm pretty certain I didn't eat something verboten by mistake (was religious about checking ingredients).

Today I had a doctor's appointment and they weighed me and said my weight out loud (I should have told them not to, but I just looked away from the scale and obviously that wasn't enough). So now I know. And I only lost 2 pounds.

I am pretty bummed. I only want to lose between 8-10 pounds total, so I really thought cutting sugar, carbs, and all that other stuff would help. I also work out an average of 4 times a week (mostly cardio—spin classes) and have been staying really healthy.

I will say that some clothing seems to be fitting a bit different ... like my muffin top definitely seems smaller and my pants are a bit looser. Dresses that were just a bit snug now feel and look like they fit. So my body has definitely changed and for the better, which is good. But why wouldn't that add up with the scale? Did my weight redistribute or something? Confused.

Can anyone advise? I'm obviously sticking out my W30 to make it to 30 days, and I will keep eating healthy after this because I know it's the right thing to do, but I have to admit I'm disappointed about such paltry weight loss.

Two lbs in 26 days when you only have 8-10 is actually excellent results. Don't let your mind get bogged down by the scale. It isn't your friend. Your clothes fit better! Say it loud and proud - your clothes fit better!

I've never lost more than 3 lbs on a Whole30 - but I always look like I've lost more and FEEL AMAZING! 

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

I've never lost weight eating this way. Not a single pound. And I've been eating this way for well over a year now. I haven't weighed myself since after the first 30 odd days, but I reckon I've probably gained weight, I know I've lost body fat though - I traded it up for lean muscle.

The number on the scale to me is irrelevant because I look and feel so much better. My sleep is better, my skin is clearer, my moods are stable, my nails are strong, my hair grows like wild fire and my hairdresser constantly comments about how shiny & healthy it looks & how quickly it grows. In fact people are constantly telling me how healthy I look.

Like everyone *I* think I could probably lose a few pounds, but my body has very obviously found it's natural weight.

If you want to lose body fat (notice I don't say lose weight...) I'd think about switching a few of those cardio sessions for some strength training. Even when resting muscle uses more energy than fat, so it will continue to burn long after you've finished your training session.. 

Thanks for the supportive comments from those who posted them.

jmcbn, thanks for the insight. I think you may be right about cardio vs. strength. Trying not to get too fixated on that number, but what gives with a small amount of weight being lost *but* my clothing fitting differently? Could it be muscle gain or somehow weight redistributing itself? It's definitely puzzling to me as things *are* fitting differently.

• Moderators

All of the moderators here are volunteers... some of us have a much more 'tough love' approach than others and that fits for some and not for others.

I don't think getting into name calling is helpful. I'm not going to edit your post to remove the name calling but please know that sort of posting is not in keeping with the family friendly atmosphere we try and keep around here.

Tom's approach may not be your style but he's not wrong that 2 pounds a month is a sustainable and healthy rate at which to lose weight. Your clothes are fitting differently because altho you may not have lost a lot of pounds, the inflammation in your body will have gone down... inflammation can be called 'swelling' if you will... if your joints and skin and tissue are swollen and inflamed, they take up more room in your clothes. This is why the scale number is such a sham... it's only telling you your relationship to gravity at the time you stand on the scale. It's not telling you that your inflammation is down, your hormones are balanced, your hair looks good, your skin is glowing, your energy is through the roof and your clothes are fitting better... quite frankly the scale is the worst piece of data that you can concentrate on.

Keep up the good work!

Archived