Caramel apple challenge

Xandra

I had no trouble resisting the caramel apples today at the orchard, but I couldn't help but wonder if there is some way to skewer an apple and put something healthy on it that would appeal to kids.

I've seen a "paleo" recipe for caramel sauce made with honey and maple syrup, but I'm not using either of those ingredients on my Whole30. Think a reduced berry compote would work?

What else could I try?

I would say that an apple is an apple, and a caramel apple is a caramel apple ... and an apple on a skewer smeared with fake Paleo-fied caramel sauce or berry compote reduction is just a sad, sad replacement for a non-compliant treat.

With that said, I think that once you're DONE with your Whole30 and Paleo-fying treats is no longer verboten, maybe dipping a skewered apple slice into melted coconut oil (which as know will solidify once it meets something cold) and then immediately pressing it into chopped almonds might work ? The reason I say an apple slice is that I am trying to imagine how much coconut oil you'd need to dip an entire, whole apple into and that just sounds expensive.

But this all for AFTER your Whole30, right ? Not trying to cheat and re-craete fair food out of Whole30 items ? Because I don't think that will work.

I've been having baked apples daily for a treat. Slice an apple, put cinammon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves a few raisins, pecans and clarified butter on top and stir it all up in a baking pan and bake at 400 for about thirty minutes or so until the apples are soft. Make sure and stir it up occasionally during baking. Use sweet apples (not granny smith) and you won't miss the sugar. Mmmmmmmmm.

I am super lazy in the kitchen. I have an apple corer/peeler/spiral slicer. I peel and slice an apple or two - takes just a few seconds. I break it into chunks with my hands and then place in a microwave bowl. Add a tsp or two of ghee and cook on high a couple of minutes until soft. Stir to coat the apple pieces with ghee, sprinkle on some cinnamon. Super easy treat and all three of my kids LOVE it! Some raisins mixed in at the end and heated just a few seconds would make it even better.

Thanks for all these ideas! No, I'm not trying to create a caramel apple that matches the real thing, just to find a compliant way to eat apples that makes them more special than plain raw apples. I will be trying out some of these suggestions. :)

Archived