Sweet potatoes, how often?

iteach

Every recipe I've been looking at for the past hour has "sweet potato" as one of the ingredients, be it breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert, etc. I'm surprised I haven't seen a sweet potato shake! (shudder) 

So, it begs the question rolling around in my brain...

Just how often do you, personally, eat sweet potatoes? 

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience.  :D

Personally, not at all for the last 8 months.

I think a lot of folk use them as a bit of a crutch initially (think roasted/baked sweet potato with coconut milk & cinnamon) but you CAN survive without them.

I eat them at least once daily right now, but I'm pretty active.  I do crossfit anywhere between 4-6 days per week and usually run 3-5 miles at least one day per week.  I find having a sweet potato (or another starchy vegetable) at least once daily is really helpful for my energy level.  I think it's about finding what works for you.

I eat them at least once daily right now, but I'm pretty active.  I do crossfit anywhere between 4-6 days per week and usually run 3-5 miles at least one day per week.  I find having a sweet potato (or another starchy vegetable) at least once daily is really helpful for my energy level.  I think it's about finding what works for you.

This.

There are plenty of other strachy veg out there, and it's always good to vary your vegetable intake to ensure you are getting a wide variety of nutrients  - plus over exposure of any food can result in a sensitivity.

Our recommendation for starchy veg would be a fist sized serving every day, unless you  are sedentary or diabetic/prediabetic in which case we would suggest you limit your intake to every other day. If you  are particualrly active, or suffer from anxiety/depression you may find you need more.

Also worth noting  is that many people fare better when they hold their starch back to meal three - it helps improve sleep, and avoids the sugar spike/crash, faux hunger, lack of focus etc often associated with eating starch/sugar(fruit) in the morning.

When I first started Whole 30, like jmcbn said, I was using sweet potatoes as my starchy veggie every day because they're easy and versatile. But I've found that they cause me a lot of bloating and discomfort (possibly FODMAP-related) and I do much better with white potatoes, carrots or turnips when I need some starch. I've been able to have small amounts of sweet potatoes (like a handful of baked 'fries' or maybe a scoop of mashed) with dinner or lunch once or twice a week at this point, but have had to avoid them with a post-WO in the morning or with breakfast because that's when they seem to irritate me. There are a ton of veggie options out there, its just a matter of learning to be a little more adventurous with them. :)

I love sweet potato mash made with tahini and serve that once or twice a week if I want something to mop up some sauce. I have a great slow cooker recipe for sweet potatoes and apples with cayenne which makes a great side but I haven't made it on this Whole 30 yet and I am on day 23. I am used to eating low carb and am happy without a carb addition to a meal. 

I am about to start on my first Whole 30  and I am mildly concerned that I will be eating too many sweet potatoes!

1. I love them and could eat them at every meal… and 2.ummm Homemade mayo with garlic and cayenne …dipping sweet potatoes in that!! SO GOOD!…I want to be mindful of how many times a day I eat sweet potatoes…so how much is too much? What other veggies can help curb my enthusiasm for sweet potatoes? Any support would be great. Thanks!:)

I cut them up and roast them with avo oil. I usually go for the white flesh ones because I think they flavors do better with more things. I've also added them in stews or curries instead of white. My anti sweet potato friend didn't believe me when I said I used them in stew one time.

That being said, I only use them a few times a month normally. I find other ways of scratching that itch (like fresh jicama with fresh squeezed lime. The texture is different but the sweetness is similar)

Archived