Starting Monday April 4th

workingmomof3

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 eating is done, I have some more water to drink. I have to say I had a slump around 2:30 and had a minor hankering for sugar. I think some of this is due to needing more water, which is hard to drink during the day at work. Dinner was on point and now I'm having a minor sugar dragon attack, but again I think I need water and maybe I'll have a strawberry to stave it off.

I didn't introduce myself before, but I decided to do Whole30 after a friend was having awesome feelings towards it. The more I read the more feasible it seemed. I had my gallbladder removed 11 years ago and constantly have problems with stomach issues ,so I figured between kicking the sugar dragon and making my stomach less achy it's all win win. It's real food and I get all the fruits and veggies!! Yay!! My boyfriend is making a few changes, but he is still going to have beer on weekends (no drinking on weekdays!) and sandwiches for lunch. I think he will get some great results from this too even if it's not 100% whole30. I suck at meal preps because I am not a big fan of leftovers and meal prep seems like leftovers to me but I went shopping to create meals and I have veggies cut up in the fridge which will help. I also made sure I had a big pitcher of water and iced tea available for drinking at any time. 

I hope everyone had a great day, we can do this!!

I have an instagram (@nichele27), but I started a tumblr for my posts/food/journaling. We'll see how it goes: tumblr: hawesomeadventures

Good Luck tomorrow!!

Day 1 is over. Food was good. Stayed on track. Feel... Out of sorts and just unhappy. Having a compliant herbal tea before bed. Hoping tomorrow is less brutal than described on the website. I figure I am kidding myself. Also, I was hungry all day. And I underestimated the amount of prep. Otherwise, yay?

Hoping to feel more positive soon.

Well it's the morning of Day 2, had to tear my self out of bed, but so far I actually feel better today than I did yesterday. Have lots of plans today to keep me busy and my mind off food. I packed some yummy chicken salad and a side salad for lunch. Hopefully I can make it through the whole day with out falling asleep.

I started my second round of Whole30 on April 4th too!!  This time my mom is doing it along with me :)  My husband and daughter enjoyed the dinners I made during my first round.  I seriously cannot believe how much better I am feeling in just one day.  I completed my first round and then we visited my parents for a week and man I was hurting by the time we to back home.  I was broken out like a teenager again too, so frustrating.  I helped my mom get prepared while during my visit and she did awesome yesterday!!  My sugar dragon was absolutely raging while on vacation.  It is amazing what old habits come back when you go home.

I must be honest during my first round I wasn't as careful with my sugar :(.  If things had just a little bit I would still eat it, I totally rationalized it in my head.  This time that is not going to happen.  My daughter and I went to Costco yesterday and we were really label reading.  It made it like a scavenger hunt, lol.  I didn't get my PiYo in like I wanted to but we did go on a family walk after dinner.

I woke up extremely tired and all I wanted to do was stay in bed. I ate a good portion of my breakfast, which was leftovers from last night, but I couldn't finish it all because I was just not hungry. I knew I needed to eat though so I did. I'm not used to eating breakfast (usually just coffee every morning) so I'm sure it's my body adjusting to this but I felt like I was going to be sick if ate anything at all. Hopefully that'll get better as my body regulates this new routine.

I started yesterday, and it is the first time for me doing the whole30! Yes, I too am a bit nervous.  I am not great at planning, at least I haven't been historically ... but I realize it is very important for success.  I usually start off well, and then don't follow through.  That will be my challenge!

Yesterday went well.  I wasn't hungry but I felt like I was having either cravings or my mind just thought I was hungry though I know I really was not.  Hope that feeling goes away ... as it can be tempting for sure.  Also, I need to be sure I drink enough water. 

This morning I woke up feeling kinda foggy and tired and gross -- I forced myself to eat breakfast (which was a 1/4 of a frittata made with 6 cups of sauteed arugula, 1 cup of chopped asparagus, 4 thick slices of bacon and 12 eggs. Plus bacon fat and olive oil for sauteeing) and a side of baby carrots, plus coffee with coconut cream. I am SO FULL and feeling hazy and tired.

I packed a garden salad (2.5 cups baby greens, 6 baby carrots, 4 small tomatoes and 1/2 c cucumber) with grilled chicken breast and pepitas; and chopped strawberries and kiwi (1.5 cups) for lunch. Hope it holds me over. Plus i packed some black tea because the coffee wasn't really doing it for me.

How are you all feeling this morning?

Good Morning, 

Well day 1 went well, no "side effects" to speak of yet, though energy levels are low. It's going to be hard for me distinguish some of the food withdrawal symptoms from the Chemo and Radiation symptoms, but I would I say overall I feel good!  I know I didn't drink enough water yesterday so I have to try and drink more today. 

JenKin - Sorry for your loss prayers for you and your family

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Hey everyone, Day 2 is going well so far. I was expecting to feel much worse but maybe it just hasn't hit me yet and I'll be getting this feeling tomorrow. I thought as a good way for accountability and motivation I'd write down here why I'm doing the Whole30. I invite everyone else to do the same if you feel like it will help? 

1) break off my addiction to sugar, what started as a dark chocolate square once in a while morphed to eating an entire bag of mini eggs in one sitting - just because (and on most days as well!)

2) better energy levels - I find it so hard to wake up in the morning, despite having a decent amount of sleep (clearly hour-wise but not quality-wise)! So I'd like to be able to wake up in the morning perkily.

3) find out if anything is causing my skin itchiness and morning sneezes!

and I keep telling myself: it is only thirty days. You can do anything for thirty days. In the grand scheme of LIFE (and hopefully we have so many more years ahead!) 30 days is nothing. 

I have a potential obstacle tomorrow - a friend who moved to Australia is coming back for a few days and has invited us for dinner. It is a large group of people many who I do not know well and can't really explain this to. So I'm going to eat before I go, drop in to be social for a one-two hours and then head home. And have a glass of soda water and lime in my hand at all times!

Made it through Day1!  I was really cranky by the time I went to bed, and my children seemed to be making more noise than usual.  Woke up this morning exhausted.  I just wanted to crawl back in bed.  I feel foggy today and I started getting a headache, but it seems to be improving now that I've had lunch.  I'm so full too!  I don't feel satiated but I'm definitely full.  Probably the sugar dragon screaming...

gm20 Love hearing everyone's story. I did post my reasons but it was when this group was just forming and there have been many new members since then so I copied it and will paste it again. Think you have a good plan for your social tomorrow...Good Luck!

I'm starting my 3rd whole30 tomorrow as well. Found whole30 last year around this time when I knew I needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 - it was challenging at first, but then the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 A with  positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and I am about to start radiation tomorrow.  I do believe that being in a good state of health when I started my treatments really helped. But somewhere along the road I started taking too many liberties and partly because of the meds and partly because of a pity party I have thrown out all the good habits I learned. I have gained weight and even though everyone keeps telling me "it's ok", and that I shouldn't be worrying about my weight now", I am worried about it and more importantly about how the extra weight is making me feel.  Radiation is going to zap a lot of my energy and I am hoping that getting back on track with whole30 will make the next 6 weeks a little easier and by the time I am done with radiation I will really feel like my old "healthy" self again.  

Hey!! Glad to see we have second and third timers to help us newbies out!! Day 2 was good for me but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who couldn't get out of bed this morning! It was also because I was up all night worrying what I would have for breakfast lol and because I started running yesterday for the first time in a year!

Usually coffee makes my stomach hurt but today I had it black for the first time and I felt fine!! Could it have been the creamer all along?? Also found out I like hard boiled eggs!

Day 3 here we come!

gm20 Love hearing everyone's story. I did post my reasons but it was when this group was just forming and there have been many new members since then so I copied it and will paste it again. Think you have a good plan for your social tomorrow...Good Luck!

I'm starting my 3rd whole30 tomorrow as well. Found whole30 last year around this time when I knew I needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 - it was challenging at first, but then the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 A with  positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and I am about to start radiation tomorrow.  I do believe that being in a good state of health when I started my treatments really helped. But somewhere along the road I started taking too many liberties and partly because of the meds and partly because of a pity party I have thrown out all the good habits I learned. I have gained weight and even though everyone keeps telling me "it's ok", and that I shouldn't be worrying about my weight now", I am worried about it and more importantly about how the extra weight is making me feel.  Radiation is going to zap a lot of my energy and I am hoping that getting back on track with whole30 will make the next 6 weeks a little easier and by the time I am done with radiation I will really feel like my old "healthy" self again.  

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and starting radiation, I work in cancer research. I'm glad you are focusing on something positive and healthy during a difficult time!!!

Hope everyone is hanging in there okay!!

Prior to this challenge, I ate whole 30-ish during the week then would indulge a little on the weekends. I definitely indulged on some, shall we say, off-plan foods this past weekend and am feeling it! I am a bit fatigued and unmotivated, slightly hungry even though I'm eating enough food, but otherwise okay. I also had a dream last night that the bowl of fruit I was eating transformed into a bowl of ice cream, thus ruining my very first day of the Whole 30 LOL.

I think I'm experiencing a slightly accelerated version of some of the symptoms described in the Whole30 book, but that's probably because what I'm eating during the challenge isn't too dramatically different from my usual eats. I did realize, however, that my weekend indulgences (usually containing dairy and/or some gluten) cause me to experience a Monday-Wednesday "food hangover" that keeps me from feeling as energized and wonderful as I should feel. Now that's some food for thought for me!

Hang in there, fellow Whole30-ers! We can do it

Good luck with radiation! It sounds like a really tough time and I think it is great that you are embracing good food habits to help you through this, I really hope that it helps you feel empowered. Just be easy on yourself and do what feels right for you.

Day 3 and boy was it hard to drag myself out of bed today, feeling tired and distracted. I know this is normal for day 3, am hoping it goes away pretty quickly! 

Jenkins - I'm so sorry for your loss, definitely sending kind thoughts your way.

Good Morning All, 

Workingmom and gm20 - thank you for the kind words and encouragement. It means so much :)

Workingmom, interesting thought on the coffee creamer.... As a coffee lover I never thought I could drink it black, but when I did my first whole 30 someone posted a recipe for bullet coffee: I add a teaspoon of coconut oil, whip it with my immersion blender and sprinkle with cinnamon.... Yummy! 

Gm20 - It will get better... hang in there and make sure you are eating enough. 

On Day 3 I am feeling ok. Dragging a little this morning but felt better after breakfast. 

Good luck to all... Hang in there... I promise you it is worth it!!!

I'm feeling a lot better today physically, but my sugar dragon is raging. I spent most of my morning convincing myself it wasn't worth it to just go get my regular cup of coffee with creamer in it. Thankfully I didnt, but I can tell this is going to be a hard 30 days. I'm doing good with everything I'm eating and the only thing I seem to truly desire off plan right now is my coffee.

Day 3...and I can say even after having done this twice before its not easier. Last night and this morning are by far the worst migraines I've ever had, talk about sugar withdraws. I had to force myself out of bed  this morning. It could be a combination of no sugar or caffeine so I did stop for a black ice tea this morning which seemed to help a little. One day at a time, can't wait for the end of this week thought that's when I started seeing results and feeling better....just gotta hang in there its only 30days. 

I did just order some Tessamase caesar dressing and ghee of amazon so I can't wait for those to get here. I've fallen in love with the caesar dressing its great with salad, chicken or dipping carrots in. Have tons of recipes picked out for this weekend too, unfortunately I didn't do much meal prep for this week and I end up cooking the night before or leftovers. My goal is to start doing more meal prep on weekends so I can enjoy my nights more and workout, which I will hopefully be starting today if the headache goes away. 

Hello all! I'm checking in for Day 3 with a recap:

Day 1 - Husband, son (22 months), and I all tested positive for strep. The only good thing was that I have no tonsils and really felt fine other than a scratchy throat. So I took the opportunity of being home sick from work to clean house and prep the rest of my food for the week!

Day 2 - My coffee maker broke, and I almost cried. I'm a caffeine addict in the morning. I took it as an opportunity to start not relying on coffee as much and had some English breakfast tea...then went and bought a new coffee maker. ;)  

Day 3 - Fully prepped and ready for the day! Also made plans to do dinner with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law on Saturday - she's doing the Whole30 with me, so I'll get to try out a new recipe. 

Archived