Starting Monday April 4th

workingmomof3

Hey Everyone! I'm late to the party but my husband and I also have started our first whole30 on April 4th! I'll try to keep this a short introduction. My main reason for doing Whole30 is to once and for all learn how to eat and break my life long battle with yo yo dieting. I have a horrible diet soda addiction I need to break as well!

Day 3 started off pretty good. Although I did go to bed at about 8:00 last night. Not really feeling bad just no energy whatsoever. My husband was defenetely suffering from the hangover like symptoms.

I'm finding we are already eating so much more tastier food,it's just soooo much more work which will take some getting used to. Last night we had the amazing walnut crusted pork loin (highly recommend) and we both agreed eating that was sooo much better then our usual fast food or quick meal at home.

Anyway i look forward to following everyone's journey on here and hopefully making some new friends!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guuuyyyyyys. I'm so glad you're here! I started my first Whole30 on Monday also. I did Paleo a couple years ago, felt so much better, and have since struggled to get back on it. I'm doing Whole30 for a reset and to lose, hopefully, some of the weight I have gained back since stopping Paleo.

I felt fine on day 1. I woke up on day 2 feeling like I had been hit by a bus. I was so exhausted that I called in to work. Last night the mood started. :/ Today I have no energy and am seriously grumpy and sensitive. Feeling terrible! I'm also so bloated that I look 4-5 months pregnant. Anyone else having significant bloating and grump?

Day 3 - I'm actually feeling pretty good. I don't know if that is good or bad though Finally getting used to my coffee with coconut water. It's my only caffeine for the day usually so I think that's helping with fewer headaches. I'm super bloated today. Probably all those eggs. I've lost my ambition for prep so my meals are pretty basic. I'll have to more on the weekends to prepare for the week. My biggest struggle though is my sugar dragon. It was like chocolate galore every where I turned today. And did my sense of smell improve?! Because as soon as someone opens a chocolate bar I can smell it. I can do this though. Even got in an hour walk today!

Day 4 and felt better getting out of bed this morning, I thought I was going to go offplan last night when cake and caramel bites were brought out but amazingly I managed to stay on-plan and not succumb! I had even told myself I would go off plan and just restart tomorrow - I think giving myself the out kind of made it easier to stick to it, funnily enough.

I've also discovered there is way more around and about in london then the first time I went Paleo which has been a huge help, it's so easy to find pre-cooked salmon with no extra ingredients and veg to pop in the microwave for those panic "what do I eat" moments. 

I am struggling with sugar cravings - @ Lauren I don't have bloatednesss but I am super grumpy! The rage seems to creep up pretty quickly at almost anything that happens.  I'm also studying at the moment for an exam with a fulltime job so I'm pretty stressed in general which doesn't seem to help. Poor people around me!! I am sure this will pass though as blood sugar levels stabilize! 

I spoke too soon - everything was going so well, then went to an office lunch where I was just going to have the sashimi, without thinking I ate some of the pickled ginger which I just found out is picked in sugar for ages! I knew as soon as I tasted it that it had something else in it. Luckily I am not SO far into the program- but restarting from scratch tomorrow! Doh!

Happy day 4! Woke up feeling good today! I am hoping that I will finally have my energy back today. Still no cravings or headaches (yay!), but for me Friday afternoon is typically when the sweet cravings kick in since I have to get up at 4am on Fridays.

Made a giant taco salad for breakfast today with chopped romaine lettuce on the bottom, grass-fed top sirloin, stir-fry veggies, avocado, avocado, a sprinkle of cayenne, and some sauerkraut. Yum! I'm giving up coffee for the 30 days so I made a fresh grated ginger and turmeric tea to drink with fresh squeezed lemon. Off to work out and have a great day!

@gm20- good luck on your restart tomorrow! Hope it goes well!

I'm feeling better today! Less bloated, less grumpy, less exhausted. I didn't have time to prepare food last night, so I'm a little nervous about making it through the day. I brought hard boiled eggs, fruit, almonds, and steamed veggies for breakfast and lunch. I'm going to be starving! Looking forward to the weekend when I can do some better meal prep for next week! 

I'm still bloated and a bit constipated, which I'm reading is normal for this stage. I think the mentality that I WILL NOT CHEAT AT ALL, not for any occasion, is good for me. Once I take one bite of something off plan, I throw in the towel on the whole day. I don't need any wiggle room. 

I saw a quote this morning that seemed relevant. "Discipline is knowing what you want now and what you want MOST." Well, I want to complete this MOST and live in a body that feels cared for- more than I want a muffin or bread! 

Hello Gang, 

JWentworth - thanks for the tip on the Ceaser dressing, are there any other flawors you like?

Kgonza - hope you all feel better soon! 

MissAlexa and LaurenRD - Welcome!!! 

NickPkfloyd - have to say I am having the opposite reaction, I am already feeling less bloated and I think for me it's bread that makes me feel so bloated and pregnant looking. Even taking it out for 3 days makes a difference. Maybe if you are eating more veggies then usual the bloating is the increased fiber?

Gm20 - Like you said thankfully you aren't too far in. Good luck on your restart and hope you stay in this thread

KinseyM - what a yummy breakfast! you have given me a great idea for dinner that I know the kids will enjoy too!! Keep posted those meal ideas. 

I am really feeling pretty good. Little hard getting out of bed this morning and for the first time this week I didn't wake up hungry, in fact I was up for an hour doing chores before I even thought about breakfast. I like when I'm not food "obsessed" because I feel like I'm always thinking about food, what I ate, what I can eat, what I will eat next.... so it was nice to not be thinking about food for a change. 

Happy Thursday Everyone!! Keep up the good Work!

I started Monday for the first time.  I was not nearly as prepared as I could have been.  We've stayed on track... but I need a better system for determining how much we really need to prepare.  I have a family of 3 so it's not too big, but we are all very active and not snacking has been very difficult.  

Hello, friends! I started with all of you on Monday, so I thought I'd read up and see how others are doing. This is my third attempt at Whole30...I've been eating paleo/primal since 2013 and I had amazing results with my first Whole30 in February of 2014 (actually felt good in my own skin after 3 babies). I tried again in January of this year after too much "nutritional off-roading" but I only lasted to day 10. Disappointing.

Then I had a pity party for myself and added on about 5 pounds in only a couple of months.

Now I'm training for a triathlon and a half-marathon, so cutting those pounds (and hopefully a few more, too) will help a bit.

Breakfasts: frittata with arugula, parsley, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onions, cauliflower and some chunks of pork my hubby smoked. Coffee with coconut milk--first cup--then black for my second cup.

Lunches: dinner leftovers or BIGASS salad with sliced meat or boiled eggs and avocado.

Dinners: steak and sweet potato-zucchini hash (last night), grilled chicken with a salad, grilled shrimp with a salad...that's as far back as my memory will take me.

I had a headache on day 2, but am feeling pretty good today. Planning to go get some laps in this evening then dinner will be compliant (homemade) red pepper sausages with whatever veggies I grab at the store.

Cheers!

I spoke too soon - everything was going so well, then went to an office lunch where I was just going to have the sashimi, without thinking I ate some of the pickled ginger which I just found out is picked in sugar for ages! I knew as soon as I tasted it that it had something else in it. Luckily I am not SO far into the program- but restarting from scratch tomorrow! Doh!

Bummer! Good for you for owning it and starting again. Good luck!

Still feeling good today.  I noticed a slight change in my threshold for anger and I'm a little tired.  I'm already feeling braver in my food choices and have created some of my own meals.  I'm going to get some new olive oil, though, because I can't stomach mine.  Has anyone tried any that they like?  Any infused oils?  

@GM Sorry to hear about your lunch!  I'm glad you weren't too far in.  

I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to be doing well so far.

I started mine on Monday, then found this forum tonight! It is my first time trying this, and so far, so good . . . haven't had any nasty effects nor any cravings so far . . . Planned in advance, cleaned out my cupboards and fridge, then shopped and cooked  . . .  been really lazy for about 4 years around cooking and food choices, so this may only be the first of a couple of back to back Whole30s, depending on how it goes!! 

All the best to everyone who started on Monday!

Hey everyone I started Whole30 today as well!  I'm a little nervous; I really don't want to fail.  I don't have any friends or family doing it with me, but my husband is very supportive and actually helped me prep my food last night.  He's going to eat dinners with me through the week.  I'm also following the 7 day meal plan.  So far so good.  Not looking forward to the next few days based on the timeline in the book.  I know it will be an uphill battle, but I'm looking forward to the end results.  I needed a change in my life.  I'm not the person I used to be and I think a lot of it is because of the unhealthy lifestyle I've been leading with food being the primary culprit.  

I am in your EXACT position! :) We can do this! Day 2 was tough on me b/c I got the headache but Day 3 (yesterday) and Day 4 (so far) have been OK. Been busy with work so I have't had as much time to think about food during the day time. At night, I struggle a little. Getting better each day. 

Hi everyone! I started on Monday, this is sort of my second W30. I started my last one the end of February and made it about 20 days. I quit because My entire body was an open sore. It was awful. My eczema got out of control. It was either bell peppers or coconut. 
I took a break to recover and for my 30th birthday! I was off whole 30 for 22 days (but still ate mostly w30 during those days). So now I am back and will complete it this time! 
I miss bell peppers and coconut milk. I love bell peppers, but the coconut milk is just in so many delicious recipes!

Anyway, I was doing great until about 1:30 today and I CRASHED. I slept for about 1.5 hours, and slept hard. I mean mouth open, drooling, dreaming and sheet print on my face. I forced myself to get up and actually be mom since my 4 kids were getting home from school.

if it matters, I slept 8.5 hours. 
I had buffalo chicken casserole for breakfast (eggs, ground chicken, shredded sweet potato) (I normally eat more veggies for breakfast)
Lunch was 2 chicken/apple sausages, less than 1/4 cup of apple sauce, 2.5 medium carrots cut into sticks and dipped in "magic green sauce" (cilantro, parsley, lime, almonds, olive oil, garlic and avocado) <-- delicious   It was really filling!

I don't snack, and I drink a lot of water and la croix. 

Well, I screwed up guys. Went out for lunch trying to be especially healthy and ordered a gyro salad with no cheese and oil and vinegar dressing. Well as I was walking out I saw a to-go menu and grabbed it. As I flipped through I saw a gluten free menu and to my dismay there was no gyros on the menu, which unfortunately meant there must have been some gluten containing ingredient in it.

I guess I need to start again tomorrow. However just because I messed up a little today doesn't mean I am just going to go crazy eating all off plan items I can get my hands on.

I think its been going  pretty well so far. I didn't have time for breakfast at home, so I stopped at whole foods and picked up hardboiled eggs and fruit from the salad bar, plus an emergency Lara bar which i didn't actually need at all today. OH and I also had a single serv wholly quacamole and carrots with my breakfast.

For lunch I had leftover grilled chicken and mashed sweet potatoes, plus strawberries. I'm a little fruit heavy, I know, but I made up for it at dinner. Which was a taco bowl, with cauli rice, ground beef taco meat, avocados, hot sauce and chopped tomatoes and salsa. And cilantro. It was really good! I might have it for breakfast tomorrow with scrambled eggs :) My mood has been pretty good, and I'm not really hungry.

• Moderators

I am really feeling pretty good. Little hard getting out of bed this morning and for the first time this week I didn't wake up hungry, in fact I was up for an hour doing chores before I even thought about breakfast. I like when I'm not food "obsessed" because I feel like I'm always thinking about food, what I ate, what I can eat, what I will eat next.... so it was nice to not be thinking about food for a change. 

Happy Thursday Everyone!! Keep up the good Work!

Hey there!

We actually WANT you to wake up hungry :) Waking up hungry means your hormones are on track and balanced for sleep/wake routines. The way to encourage this balance is to eat within an hour of waking. I know that can seem difficult to start and a LOT of people say they can't do it (nausea, grosses me out etc) but you just gotta bite the bullet and do it... within a few days you'll want to eat breakfast in the am.

I love that you weren't thinking about food and that you're feeling less food obsessed, I know that feeling well! Just make sure that you're following the recommendations so you get the best out of the program and one of those reccos is eating within an hour of waking :)

• Moderators

Hi everyone! I started on Monday, this is sort of my second W30. I started my last one the end of February and made it about 20 days. I quit because My entire body was an open sore. It was awful. My eczema got out of control. It was either bell peppers or coconut. 

I took a break to recover and for my 30th birthday! I was off whole 30 for 22 days (but still ate mostly w30 during those days). So now I am back and will complete it this time! 

I miss bell peppers and coconut milk. I love bell peppers, but the coconut milk is just in so many delicious recipes!

Anyway, I was doing great until about 1:30 today and I CRASHED. I slept for about 1.5 hours, and slept hard. I mean mouth open, drooling, dreaming and sheet print on my face. I forced myself to get up and actually be mom since my 4 kids were getting home from school.

if it matters, I slept 8.5 hours. 

I had buffalo chicken casserole for breakfast (eggs, ground chicken, shredded sweet potato) (I normally eat more veggies for breakfast)

Lunch was 2 chicken/apple sausages, less than 1/4 cup of apple sauce, 2.5 medium carrots cut into sticks and dipped in "magic green sauce" (cilantro, parsley, lime, almonds, olive oil, garlic and avocado) <-- delicious   It was really filling!

I don't snack, and I drink a lot of water and la croix.

Being that tired is totally normal at this point in the parade so just keep going! Your magic green sauce sounds delightful!

• Moderators

Hello, friends! I started with all of you on Monday, so I thought I'd read up and see how others are doing. This is my third attempt at Whole30...I've been eating paleo/primal since 2013 and I had amazing results with my first Whole30 in February of 2014 (actually felt good in my own skin after 3 babies). I tried again in January of this year after too much "nutritional off-roading" but I only lasted to day 10. Disappointing.

Then I had a pity party for myself and added on about 5 pounds in only a couple of months.

Now I'm training for a triathlon and a half-marathon, so cutting those pounds (and hopefully a few more, too) will help a bit.

Breakfasts: frittata with arugula, parsley, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, onions, cauliflower and some chunks of pork my hubby smoked. Coffee with coconut milk--first cup--then black for my second cup.

Lunches: dinner leftovers or BIGASS salad with sliced meat or boiled eggs and avocado.

Dinners: steak and sweet potato-zucchini hash (last night), grilled chicken with a salad, grilled shrimp with a salad...that's as far back as my memory will take me.

I had a headache on day 2, but am feeling pretty good today. Planning to go get some laps in this evening then dinner will be compliant (homemade) red pepper sausages with whatever veggies I grab at the store.

Cheers!

Make sure if you're doing intense workouts (triathalon and marathon training are just that) that you're eating pre and post workout meals. Skipping those will be doing yourself an enormous disservice.

Make sure if you're eating salads for your veg that they are HUGE all the time and try adding in some cooked and denser veg as well as salad, once chewed down is next to nothing.

Day 4 in the books! WOO!!!

I haven't had any serious cravings but I do get headaches at night and that's usually when my sugar demon is raging. I have been incorporating a bit of fruit into each meal (a handful of dehydrated fruit usually) and it seems to be satisfying enough that I am weaning myself off that too. 

Breakfast is the hardest meal for me, but I'm usually having at least a banana or apple and some coconut. I made eggs this morning so I'm working on adding that breakfast portion in. I have had a few issues when I have too much fat in my meals but it's mostly related to my lack of a gall bladder. I have to say although I hate getting out of bed I feel like I have lots of energy and haven't had coffee in the morning all week. 

I also discovered almond butter. This stuff is amazing, I don't know why I never tried it before! It's my perfect morning go to breakfast with a banana and hardboiled egg!

I'm purposefully drinking more water and it's been making me feel awesome too. My meals have been great and fun to prepare each evening and take leftovers for lunch. We'll see how well I do as we go on, I heard the end of week 2 is the worst for sugar dragons and mine can rage pretty hard but I think my balance of fruit is keeping it at bay. 

Also, I read a post about dates as "treats" and I'm trying to avoid any sort of "treat" to myself, except possibly joining a gym!

Here we go Day 5…. Today is my first real life test where I have a 10 hour day day on the go, a client lunch and dinner in a restaurant. I've prepared and should be able to do this. Taking some baby carrots to snack on if I feel the urge. And will have some left over roast chicken and veggies on-hand should the salads I order not do the trick (i'm trying to avoid adding protein to these salads b/c I don't trust the restaurant to prepare without butter or non compliant oils)

Overall, I am actually feeling somewhat "normal". (with the exception of Day 2's horrific headache!) My mindset is still in a very motivated state of mind which keeps me pumped and willing to do the work. However, this morning I woke up a bit bloated (especially in the face) so started to feel slightly discouraged. I'm wondering if it could be the whole 30 tomato sauce I made last night. (maybe tomatoes cause inflammation for me personally…). I think I need to just get through this day successfully and any hint of discouragement will be lifted. But still totally committed and ready for a victory! 

PS. for the last 3 nights I have actually had dreams that I accidentally ate something I shouldn't have. 

Happy Friday Everyone, 

Love how much everyone is sharing there experiences, reading about progresses and hurdles is always inspiring. 

Welcome Chellie, Eli, and Rachel, (hope I didn't miss anyone, cuz if so it's not intentional :) )

Nicpkfloyd: There is one Olive Oil I love and sad to say I recognize it by the bottle (Letters are all in different colors), but I'm out of that and will get you the name when I pick more up. In the mean time I am using Carozzi 100% Extra Virgin and I do like the taste of it as well.

Alannah sry you messed up, but I like your attitude and thankfully not that far in.   

As for me I'm not feeling great today. Lots of aches and pains. Problem is I don't know if it's Whole30 related, Radiation related, or residual effects from the Chemo.... . I'm not going to let it derail me though!! I also have a social event tonight that I bought tickets for before I started whole30. I choose a steak dinner,(pre set menu) but I know I'm going to have to ask for no sauce, no butter, etc.... I'm contemplating eating before I go in case I can't get any compliant foods. I'm sure I will figure it out.....  suggestions welcome. 

Have a great Day everyone

S

Hi all,

+1 on loving how everyone is sharing their experiences, challenges and successes!

Like everyone else here, I'm on Day 5 and feeling OK. I've had some occasional headaches and have been super tired at night (going to bed about 1.5 hours earlier than normal and falling right to sleep).  I'm starting to recognize the difference between being hungry and having a craving and I'm getting way better about eating full meals rather than trying to restrict calories and then finding myself snacking.  A couple of super positive things that have happened to me so far:

* Since I'm going to bed earlier, I wake up earlier (and hungry!) so I've had time to actually make a real breakfast and pack a lunch - and even better, I'm not a total grouch!  Today's breakfast was delicious.. I roasted some cubed sweet potatoes, chopped up some homemade pork/apple sausage and put an over-easy egg on top.  So good!  I also finally tried adding coconut milk to my shot of espresso and it was not bad at all!

* When I started this process, I thought my husband would secretly think it was stupid.  I asked him not to make fun of me and promised I wouldn't make him or the kids eat different food.  After a few days, he actually decided to start eating more like me.. he's going to try to stop drinking sodas, not eat sweet stuff, etc.  And, my kids are also intrigued and want to eat more of my food.  Good for them, thought they keep stealing my yummy, whole30 compliant stuff!

Overall, it has been a great week!  I'm a little worried about this weekend when our family will be super busy running around to soccer games and other activities.  Usually on those days we end up eating out somewhere that isn't awesome or super healthy, so I'll have to make sure I plan to bring a stash of approved foods to get me through.

Great job everyone!

Hi all,

I'm a little late joining the conversation but I also started on Monday. I'm a mother of 3 currently on maternity leave so I'm at home full time. This is my first Whole 30, first time ever really changing my way of eating and thinking about food. My husband did whole 30 last year for the first time and is doing it with me this time too.

So far I'm loving it, I'm not as prepared as I should be and am cooking each day but am planning on batch cooking more and meal planning a bit better.

It's day 5 and I've no cravings or headaches thankfully, generally feeling a bit hungry and weaker than usual but I guess this is to be expected until I get more used to it.

I'm from and live in Ireland so if there's anyone else here from Ireland that has any Whole30 compliant supplier/brands recommendations please do share.

Looking forward to the next 25 days here with you all :)

Archived