Starting Monday April 4th

workingmomof3

I started my first whole 30 the day before you guys, I am on day 9 and feeling so much better than I did at first.  How are you guys?  My favorite thing to eat right now is the protien salad, I have only made it with chicken, keep telling myself I am going to change it up but I love it so hasn't happended yet.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for all of you ... So I am trying to get healthy, and lose weight too! I really need to lose a lot of weight but I am hoping that by focusing on eating right and healthy that the weight will come along with it.  I guess only time will tell.  My question though, is do any of you feel like your life right now, early in this program, revolves almost completely  around food?  I feel like all I do is plan, shop,  cook, and look for more things to plan my foods out.  I am constantly looking for new recipe ideas to make sure I don't get bored. I have a tendency of eating the same thing over and over because it is easy, then I get bored, and frustrated, so I quit. 

Hey Kimberly, I think that is definitely the right attitude to take. Taking control of your eating habits is the most important thing and the weight and feeling good about yourself will follow. I am also doing this to lose weight, and I find the hardest part for me is to be kind to myself - to not be negative and focus on all the bad things. I think that is why taking away the weighing element makes you focus more on what is important, how the food makes you feel etc. rather than just the image of it. I don't feel like all I do is plan and cook, but that is also because I use cooking as a bit of stress relief and as a break from my work and studies! I'm sure you'll get settled into the routine and find things that are super easy to put together that you still love the taste of.

Keep going!

It is day 5 for me today and my skin has cleared up a bit already, I think not having dairy is quite an important thing for me. I'll be very interested to see what it does to my body once I re-introduce! It may be something totally different, but it has made me realise what a cheese addict I was. I'm still constantly craving sweet things - I went a little crazy on dates yesterday so I've now had to ban them from myself because they 100% brought out the sugar dragon.

Day 6 and 7 will be at a study course all day so I need to make some easy packed lunches that can be eaten cold and will last throughout the day. I've thought of one: prosciutto wrapped asparagus with sweet potato and olive oil (big enough portion to sustain me!), but I'm stumped with the next one. Anyone have any yummy ideas?

Thanks!

Hey all I read this inspiring article and thought I would share it with you: http://dallashartwig.com/this-is-not-okay/

From one of our favorite authors Dallas Hartwig!

I have had to restart my Whole 30, but I am not quitting. I will finish 30 consecutive days. However I am feeling a lot better despite my minor slips, I suppose because regardless of the slips I am still eating dramatically different!

Also gm20, watch out for those dates and other sweet things, I have found that even shredded coconut can be just sweet enough to let the dragon out!

Day 10 here.  It does feel pretty hard today, but I don't know if that's because 1) I was told this would be one of The Hardest Days, so it's placebo effect; 2) I'm otherwise having an annoying day (it's raining and I had to get blood drawn and the train slowed down my commute and I had to go back home because I forgot my lunch and it's only Tuesday), or 3) it really is one of hardest days.  It's purely mental.  I'm feeling fine -- no cravings, no carb flu, a sufficient amount of energy, not sick of my food yet.  And I feel proud that I'm third of the way through, but then I think -- I'm only a third of the way through!!

Still sticking to the program, no question about that -- it's just not as fun today as it has been some other days.

Hey gang, I sorta started on the same day.  :P I'm counting April 5th as my official first day because craziness ensued on the 4th and I completely forgot about the Whole30 and had popcorn at the movies for my daughter's 6th birthday (and first movie theater experience!).

I was eating pretty well before Whole30. Not spectacular, but cooking 80% of my meals and almost everything from scratch. My family has a farm so LOTS of veggies, organic pastured eggs, etc. I buy only pasture raised meats from farming neighbors as well. And dairy! It totally sucks milking goats and not drinking any of it. At least we don't have so much milk that I have to make cheese and not get to eat that! Also shelling fava beans for hours Saturday and not eating any!  :(

Anyway, I had no hangover symptoms in the beginning. I did have some digestion problems around day 4-6. My husband blames it on the "bad" chicken leftovers I ate in the fridge (he left the meal out overnight and put it in the fridge the next morning). Why did he leave something in the fridge he knew had gone bad?  :rolleyes:  Might have just been Whole30 stuff though.

Day 5-7 I slept for ELEVEN hours and still dragged my butt around all day. Sheesh. Thought I would never recover.

This morning, my day 8, I woke up feeling GREAT! Finally have some energy back. Arthritis still not any better, but let's give that some time.

KimberlyW, I understand about the nearly-vegetarian thing. It's very hard for me to cram in as much meat/protein as this way of eating entails. I used to eat meat once a week at the most. I'm eating tons and tons of eggs right now. But a cousin of mine developed an egg allergy when she tried vegetarian paleo and I'm scared that's going to happen! I'm mostly cooking my favorite meat meals and going to stick with those for now. None of them are just slabs of meat on the plate, but more of a dish of meat and veg. Makes it easier for me.

Wow Day 9 already! I feel like it's going fast! I still don't have a ton of energy yet and am pretty tired but that also has to do with my son getting up at night. I did not stick to the meal plan in the book which was my original plan. I've been doing pretty good at just going day by day. And I am attempting to cook more which is huge for me, there was a suggestion to get a meat thermometer and that sounds like a great idea to me! Happy almost Day 10 everyone!

. And I am attempting to cook more which is huge for me, there was a suggestion to get a meat thermometer and that sounds like a great idea to me! 

When I first started cooking meat, it was often overdone. I was so afraid of poisoning my family that I made shoe leather out of everything. Thermometer use changed all of that! I now can make juicy meat dishes and it's a lot easier!

Gm20- for lunch it might be fun to throw together a little pack of a bunch of different foods like hard boiled eggs, a variety of cut up veggies, a sliced apple or some grapes, a handful of nuts for some healthy fat. I've done this for long days at work, and it's satisfying to crunch on all of the different foods and filling when you pack enough veggies/fruit. Hope it goes well!

Thanks KinseyM - I'm allergic to eggs sadly but I've been putting together a mix of things! I'm going to make a cucumber noodle and tuna salad for tomorrow with cherry tomatoes and chilli flakes.

I'm having SERIOUS chocolate cravings at the moment and feeling headachey and tired. I really want to eat something off plan and just keep drinking water hoping it will pass. Not a fun feeling!

DAY 10 Whoot whoot!! Wow gang we are 1/3 of the way there... going pretty fast for me and seems like all is going well as far as the whole 30 goes - but unfortunately from the the position I am in during radiation I have developed an impingment in my left rotator cuff. Boy is it painful - my sympathies to anyone who has suffered a shoulder injury, the pain is relentless and nothing seems to help. I did go to get a physical therapy evaluation yesterday and after she worked on it I had temporary relief so I'm hoping some more sessions with her will help. 

Fancybird - think glass half full... you are 1/3 of the way there!! The results are so worth it!!

Madness Welcome (love your username) - so cool you own a farm! When I did my first whole 30 I had a lot of knee pain and a planter fasciitis -I am not sure exactly when it happened but by day 30 they were gone. Hoping the same will happen with your arthritis. 

Workingmom - I also like to approach whole 30 as less of a planner, more of a Day by Day - sometimes even meal by meal. As long as I have the healthy choices in the house I can always whip up something :)

GM20 - sorry you are still having cravings, hope they subside for you soon. You got this!!

Happy Hump Day All!!

Susabella - I'm so sorry to hear about the extra pain on top of radiation! That must royally suck. But glad to hear physio helped a bit and that you are doing well whole30 wise! Keep it up and I hope your shoulder heals quickly - feeding yourself wholesome, nutritious food is only going to help.

I had one date today to get rid of my headache, which definitely shows I have a sugar weakness. So I'm taking out all fruit for now and adding in more veg because clearly I can't control myself. I have a feeling I'll have to add more days to the end of my whole30 if I don't get my sugar dragon under control.

Best of luck to everyone. Day 6 ending for me and feel determined to get through the rest of the days!

Day 10! Feeling pretty good today, which is nice since yesterday was a roller coaster. Getting used to the insane amount of cooking I've been doing. I also feel like I'm getting on top of snacking. Baby steps!

Day 10 - Wow!

Susabella627 - I like your thinking, 1/3 of the way there! Yeah!! So sorry to hear you are going through radiation and having pain. Hopefully things will get better soon.

Gm20 - hmmm, cooking as stress relief, not there for me. But I will stay positive.

Annp - totally get the feeling you have about the insane amount of cooking. Still feel that way, but I don't seem to be so overwhelmed yet.

Not really getting the burst of energy I was hoping to start feeling and that I keep hearing about ...but I will stay strong and be patient. And although I don't seem to have headaches, I do seem to be craving foods, all kinds of foods, but when I sit back and think about it, I realize I am not really hungry. It is just my brain saying isn't it snack time? So I try to get up and do something else. So far so good. Though I know I keep saying I won't worry about the weight loss, but I really hope I am losing weight! I feel like if I knew I was losing weight, then I would be ok with feeling deprived. So if I at least felt dramatically better or full of energy that might help. Well I'll just keep plugging along.

Just curious, are you all planning to stop at the end of 30 days? I am hoping I feel so good, and have so much energy, and I lose some weight that I'll want to stay on this. Is this totally unrealistic?.

Hi! I am Keri (from Cincinnati). Started the Whole 30 on April 4, so I am completing day 10. I am a foodie at heart and have loved spending more time in the kitchen. I really miss beer though (LaCroix is taking its spot though).

Although I am pumped to complete all 30 days, I have a wedding at the end of the month in San Francisco and planning on doing the best I can, but imagine I will need to start another attempt of 30 straight upon my return... kinda bummed about that - would love to know your thoughts?

Feeling very clear-headed today, like a fog that I didn't know was there has lifted. My face however, is NOT so clear! Two giant eruptions on my chin...yuck.

My husband usually does all the cooking in my house, but he coaches track and his first meet was today, so everything was up to me tonight. I made zucchini-chicken fritters that were outstanding!  Here's what I did:

Shred 2 zucchini, add a bit of salt and let sit for 10 min. Squeeze out all the liquid.

Add cooked chicken (chopped very small), fresh parsley, 1 clove garlic, 3 green onions sliced thinly, 2 eggs, 2-3 tablespoons almond flour, a nice dousing of Penzey's Bangkok spice blend.

Fry in batches in coconut oil until crispy on the edges (flip carefully--they tend to fall apart).

So yummy! 

Susabella, I hope your treatments plus your excellent nutrition work to make you perfectly healthy! Hugs!

Hi! I am Keri (from Cincinnati). Started the Whole 30 on April 4, so I am completing day 10. I am a foodie at heart and have loved spending more time in the kitchen. I really miss beer though (LaCroix is taking its spot though).

Although I am pumped to complete all 30 days, I have a wedding at the end of the month in San Francisco and planning on doing the best I can, but imagine I will need to start another attempt of 30 straight upon my return... kinda bummed about that - would love to know your thoughts?

Keri, don't sell yourself short! Make a plan for handling the wedding festivities. You can do it! 

I think making a plan is the most important thing. Bring with you compliant snacks, let them know of dietary requirements in advance so the catering company can accommodate you or just pick the meat/veg from the dish and always a drink of water or tonic water with lime and ice in your hand so you never feel out of touch with the others. Weddings are definitely tough but just think that everyone will be having so much fun and enjoying themselves that they won't care about whether you are eating or not!

Day 7 - my appetite is completely gone. Forcing myself to eat because I know I need to but it's just making me feel a bit bloated and uncomfortable. I'm hoping my hormones will re align soon!

Otherwise it is going okay - I am sleeping better for sure. Still not getting out of bed perkily but it's nice to fall asleep so quickly! My workouts are increasingly difficult but again hoping that evens out. One week in for me :) 3 more to go!

gm20, I'm still in the no appetite zone (day 10). It's hard but I'm sticking to it and trying to eat a bit of everything on my plate (rather than just eating the veggies, which is all I really want!). 

I think I'm entering into the better energy level phase. I'm sleeping about 8 hrs now (down from 11 for a few nights!) but still having restless sleep somewhat.

The hardest part for me right now? I want to weigh myself! I'm not a scale junkie. I maybe weigh myself once a month if that. But I feel so different that I want to know!!! I had no idea this would be hard for me. I actually took the battery out of my scale (it was reading 'low' when I weighed in at the start) and threw it away! I have no replacements for that size at the house so I would really have to go out of my way to weigh in.

Hello all, Wow Day 8. Hope everyone is feeling good and finding the strength and energy to continue on their journey. I am feeling good and starting to get into a nice grove where things are just naturally happening without too much planning. Energy levels are good and my goal for this week is to start trying some new recipes as I do tend to be a creature of habit. 

Fancybird - thanks for the idea I think I would enjoy that lunch too!!

KimberlyW - I posted a similar question the other day about not eating when I am not hungry and was informed by a moderator that it's important to eat every 4-5 hours even if you are not hungry. The absence of hunger is a sign that your hormones are out of balance, so feeling a little bit hungry is actually a good thing. Also, if your fat intake is too high it might make you feel less hungry so take a good look at the template and make sure you are sticking to it. And yes, in the beginning it feels like all you think about is food, what you just ate, what you will eat next, what you can buy etc... but I promise you this will pass. It definitely gets easier. Sorry I can't really help you on the vegetarian questions as I am a meat lover. 

Happy Monday everyone!!

S

Susabella627 - I think I mis-stated what I was trying to get across.  I eat breakfast and lunch, but sometimes in the afternoon, I feel like I am craving food of some sort to eat.  Probably because I used to snack in the afternoons.  So, when I stop and think rather than just eat something, I realize I am not hungry and can wait until dinner.  So, it is not that I am not hungry at dinner time, it is that I really am not hungry when my brain says you want a snack.  But thanks for your input, it is all good information to hear.

So, it is not that I am not hungry at dinner time, it is that I really am not hungry when my brain says you want a snack. 

This can be hard to overcome! Good for you for realizing. My kids get snacks right after school, smack between lunch and dinner (they eat lunch silly early at school). Often when I'm making it, I'm about to pop something in my mouth. It's almost always a compliant food, but I don't NEED a snack. Brain just says "ooh, tasty! let's have some!" So far I've not indulged but I have literally had to stop my hand as food has touched my lips!

madness - yeah I think that is all we can do! Just keep sticking to it and wait for our bodies to adjust to the new way of eating. 

Kimberley & madness - snacking is so tough! I keep reaching for things just because I'm used to it and I've noticed I especially do it when I'm bored or trying to get out of a situation (in my case - procrastination from revising). So it's been surprising having to tamp down on that instinct.

The positives that I am noticing are more mental clarity, less of that brain fog basically! And boy do I fall asleep quickly, I was reading in bed (It starts with food!) at 10pm last night and just passed out. I've never normally had issues with falling asleep but it was surprising just how quickly it happened. My nose is pretty much no longer itchy! This is great news as sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night furiously scratching my face. I believe dairy might be the culprit - but I'm so the re-intro phase will show me what is happening. So yes to NSVs: clearer skin, better complexion (I no longer look so tired!), itchy nose gone (or severely lessened) and falling asleep quickly.

Is anyone else noticing some good stuff happening? The whole30 daily email has said to take stock at this time so that is what I'm doing :) and a reminder of why I'm doing this, and that I promised myself I would give myself 30 days! 22 to go (after today finishes!)

I'm definitely noticing positives! It's day 11 for me and I feel 'lighter' - both in weight and probably most in mood. I have more energy and just a better attitude. Real physical changes I haven't noticed so much but I'm sure that just takes time.

Hello All, 

Gm20, Great NSV's!!! And as for the snacking I'm guilty to. Really have to ask myself if I'm hungry or just snacking out of habit or boredom. 9 out 10 its the latter. Also, the first time I did Whole 30 and really lost my appetite I switched to 6 mini meals and it really helped. Of course the downside is more prep and planning required. 

Madness - so happy to hear you are having positive changes too. I chuckled at your scale story because I did the same thing with the batteries. I have so many Dr. appointments going on and I feel so silly when I step on the scale and ask them not to tell me..... but one nurse did say oh your down a few so that was a good feeling :)

Shoulder is still giving me trouble but I get a two day break from radiation so hopefully I can get the muscles to calm down. I know the pain is interfering with my positive effects of the Whole30, but hopefully when the pain subsides I will have the taste of tiger bloodt!! 

My daughter wanted a frozen yogurt after school today to celebrate the start of spring break. I had a real NSV as I sat there drinking water without any feelings of deprivation. 

Happy Friday!!

Hi everyone!! Same thing happened to me with my scale, the battery literally died right before the whole 30 so I took it as a sign. I had to go to the dr on wed and I started freaking out in the parking lot because I realized they were going to weigh me! But the never say it out loud so I just closed my eyes so I couldn't see, lol!

I still have no energy, I made myself go for a run anyway yesterday but I felt like my feet were bricks. Definitely need to keep up with my water drinking and prep a lot this weekend, luckily I have no plans.

Next weekend we are having a party but I just plan to be super busy and have something I can eat!

Archived