Trader Joe's and Costco options

gugy

Holly, I never used to go to Walmart but I go for the coconut milk and toothpaste etc. Yes the coconut cream is the one I tried. I didn't like the taste at all but it was super thick. Almost like crisco. It had more than just guar gum in it too. Nothing that is banned on W30 but just not necessary. I really like the one at Walmart. I think it's called Gold Star or Gold something. Robin talks about it. Good stuff.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky you! As far as I know we do not have any meat CSA's where I live.

For any DC folks: this is not a CSA. I place an order each week if I want anything that week. There are no minimums. It's pay as you go.

Teresa

I've been buying pork from either Whole Foods or our local Co-op store. I wish the rating were higher but it's the best we can do. I found out our local pork farmer buys a bunch of leftover bread from a local bakery and feeds them that, WITHOUT bothering to take the plastic off the package. I'm pretty sure a "2" rating from WF is better quality than a pig that's eating plastic.

I'm still hunting for better options, but it looks like I should live closer to SF bay for those.

Yes the coconut cream is the one I tried. I didn't like the taste at all but it was super thick. Almost like crisco. It had more than just guar gum in it too. Nothing that is banned on W30 but just not necessary. I really like the one at Walmart. I think it's called Gold Star or Gold something. Robin talks about it. Good stuff.

Yes! It was thick like crisco, but when I mixed it with an immersion blender is tasted watery. So weird.

Thanks for the Gold Star tip, I will check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just at Costco yesterday, in King of Prussia, a Philadelphia suburb. I was so looking forward to finding certain Whole30 items, but left rather disappointed (despite my unusually large bill!).

They didnt have any Kerrygold butter. At all.

No grassfed anything. No pastured anything.

I plan on calling and asking them to start carrying the stuff.

What i DID get:

Macadamia nuts: 24 oz for $18!

Big ol box of baby bok choy

French green beans $5

Organic eggs $7

Bell peppers $7

Brussels sprouts $4.30

Grape tomatoes $6

So i guess its a good place for nuts and veg.

As for my meat, i bought an eighth of a cow and a quarter of a pig through Philly Cow Share, which is the best thing on the planet. Im quickly going through that. I just wish i had a place to buy pastured chicken in bulk. But my local WF carries it.

Anham, for whatever reason they seem to put the kerrygold with the dubliner and other cheeses. They only seem to have the salted though. I am not fond of ghee made with salted butter. Also, I love costco tri tips and prime NY steaks. Also their 2 dozen organic eggs are carefully sourced. Oh...and I think it's Sharon who pointed out their extra light flavored olive oil for home made mayo.

I like Costco eggs for the every day eating of eggs, I only buy pastured for making mayo. Pastured eggs are really expensive here so I can't afford them for every day consumption.

That is exactly what I do. I honestly don't notice a difference in taste but I do notice a difference in the shell (pastured has a stronger shell) and in the color of the yolk but once they are cooked I can't tell the difference. I even did a side by side comparison. :)

Whole Foods has "Block Parties" where each department makes a dish and the public gets to taste for free. So much fun..! Yesterday was the chili contest, all chili's were good but one stood out because they had "sour cream" made from cashews.. I could not tell the difference from real sour cream. I am going to try making this over the weekend.

I know this is an older post but I recently blogged about a Costco Paleo haul that I did featuring a few of my staples! http://homegrownpaleo.com/2013/02/11/paleo-and-costco-my-favorite-paleo-friendly-staples/

As far as TJ's I love going there, but always find myself walking out empty handed. I haven't found any staple items that I can only get there. Although i do recall their raw cashews being a good price and that's something that Costco doesn't have.

We just got TJs, and I love it!! It's the cheapest source of organic/grass fed meat around here that I know of. So we've been getting grass fed ground beef, organic free range chicken, and some compliant sausage from there. In the freezer section, they have Chile Lime Chicken Burgers, which I think are tasty, and a super fast/convenient protein. We always get organic eggs there. For veg, we can get 4 avocados for under $3! Also get containers of tiny tomatoes, bags of shaved brussels sprouts, containers of chopped "healthy 8" veggie mix to throw on top of salads, frozen green beans, and frozen pepper/onion mix. Also love their guac.

• 4 weeks later...

Costco:

--They have THE best cinnamon on the planet! It's the Saigon Cinnamon. 10 ounces for $2.49!! It smells like a Cinnabon.

--Dorot freeze-dried/frozen herbs. They are little cubes of garlic, basil, parsley and...cilantro, maybe? I mix them in sauces, or let a few cubes thaw a bit, then toss them with roasted vegges and sweet potatoes.

--Awesome steaks, as good as any butcher.

Trader Joe's:

--Crushed garlic. It's like a jar of garlic paste - very easy to cook with, especially for dressings and sauces.

--Ruby Red Chai Tea. If you like a Starbucks chai, this is your answer. It's just the tea spices and Rooibos tea. So, so good.

--Also like the Pomegranate white tea.

--I love their garlic powder and 21 Seasoning Salute!

• 1 year later...

Archived