Autolyzed yeast vs MSG (topic locked so continuing here)

abi2001

I appreciate the reply that I got to my original post, and I don't know why it's now locked and therefore can't post/reply there.

The response was only somewhat helpful because I am also trying to figure out if autolyzed yeast and nutritional yeast are the same. The reply/link I received referenced nutritional yeast only.

Is autolyzed yeast compliant?

I just want to make sure I don't blow it.

(To boot, the forum keeps crashing and now this particular topic appears multiple times. Ugh!)

• Moderators

I understood this part of Melissa's reply:  

I doubt that yeast extract is going to present a problem for 99.99% of folks doing the program. But for now, as Tom said, we'll encourage you to look for foods and products without these added ingredients, or better yet - just make your own chicken broth. However, I would see no need to start over because you ate some yeast extract in your soup.

to mean that it's not ideal, but if you've eaten it, it's not enough to make you have to start over. I know it doesn't say specifically autolyzed yeast extract, but I doubt they're that different. If you're at all worried about it, skip that product and use something else. If you're not sure what to sub for it, tell us what it is, and I'm sure someone will have suggestions. (Most commonly, this seems to come up in broths -- if that's what it is, you can use water, and then add a bit more of your seasonings, for instance.)

I don't know why the other topic got locked. As for the forum crashing -- we had a bunch of people doing Whole30 over Lent, which just ended, plus a fair number starting a Whole30 today to get back on track after Easter stuff, so there's probably just a lot more traffic than usual right now.

• Moderators

I believe the topic was locked because the question you asked has been answered by Melissa herself in the past and in order to keep the forum somewhat tidy, we will direct posters to existing threads to continue the discussion instead of starting a new one for everytime the question comes up.

Archived