HELP!!!! Day 27

AnnapurnaK

So i am on day 27 of my first whole30 and have been seeing some great results. Until last night. I was at dinner with my family about to eat my wholly compliant meal when I started getting horrible cramps coupled with bad nausea. It was something that used to happen to me about once a month and sometimes was so severe that I wound up in the emergency room. I didn't go to the hospital last night but I thought about it and I was very disappointed thinking that this was a thing of the past after changing my eating habits. I have had a lot of work done and the best they can tell me is I have IBS. The only thing I did differently yesterday was I took communion at church what with it being Easter Sunday and all.

So that started the spiral of doubt.

I then looked over my finances and realized how much money has been invested in eating this way. A lot.... more than I could have imagined.

I am also planning a trip with my mom who had stage four cancer starting on day 29. It's only a four day trip and it may be the last chance I have to do this with her. I have been on a leave of absence taking care of her and I go back to work very soon. I want her to not be trying to hid back what she wants to eat and drink based on my lifestyle. I also want to finish my reintroduction before going back to work.

I'm aware I didn't plan this very well. Reason being the most attractive thing about the whole30 for me was nutrition plus the absence of alcohol. I had to do an at home alcohol detox before starting which I was successful with.

So needless to say I woke up this morning ready to be done. I even made my list if non scale victories and was happy with what I've achieved.

Does anyone have any advice for someone in my situation? Like I said I'm overall glad I did this but after last night don't really see much reason to continue.

Thanks!

-K

Hey there

It's entirely possible that something you're still eating is causing your digestive distress. Could you list what you have eaten over the last few days with specifics on portion sizes, types of veg etc so we can take a look and see if anything jumps out at us?

Well for the past week or so breakfast has consisted of two-three fried or scrambled eggs and ghee along with a fist full of fruit ( usually berries or bananas) and three cups off black coffee. Lunch us usually tuna protein salad (1 tin with homemade mayo and whatever veggies I have cut up in the mix) the ratio is 2/3 veggies to meat. I eat that over spinach with sparkling water. Dinner I pick something protein heavy out off the whole 30 recipe section of the book. I also eat ground beef over spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce quite often. (Large portions here with a side of cooked green beans or broccoli) I usually will eat a handful of nuts or a lara bar before bed. I recently (11 days ago) came off seroquel which was a huge goal and victory for me because I wad misdiagnosed with bipolar over 15 years ago. But eating before bed was a common overwhelming urge while taking that so it's been a hard habit to break. But I only do that half of the time now. My appetite has been decreasing I've noticed which isn't great because I never had much of one to begin with.

Thanks for the reply! I feel quite lost today.

-K

Ok, so the nuts & the larabars (which contain nuts) are going to be pretty hard on the digestive system. I'd start by ditching those right away.

If you really need something to eat before bed try sticking to a protein & fat, so maybe a hard boiled egg, or some chicken dipped in mayo - it'll give a slower release of energy.

Sparkling water can cause gastric distress, particularly if there's an issue there already so you might want to swap that out for plain water, or some herbal tea for a few days to see if that helps.

You're also missing any type of veg in the morning so I'd look at swapping the fruit for veg - yes, fruit is healthy, but I'd always recommend leaving it until later in the day. The natural sugars fruit contains can cause all types of issues and IME people fare better when they eat it later in the day.

Also, bear in mind you're dealing with a lot of stress, and you're putting more pressure on yourself now by worrying so much about this, your reintros, your trip, returning to work, and of course most importantly your mum - go easy on yourself - you're doing good work here.

I'd start with removing the nuts first and see how you go - hopefully you'll see some improvement...

I will nix the nuts for sure. Thank you for all the great advice. I realized I'd been focusing so much on food that I forgot what a huge trigger stress is on my symptoms. I will take the knowledge with me. My medications or lack thereof could also be messing with me some. Typical me. I like to take on the world all at once. Thank you guys. I love that there is a community here. I think that's my favorite whole30 thing.

Archived