Whole 30 Part Deux Electric Boogaloo (April 1st)

hebchill

So let me start off by saying I have done this before exactly one year ago.  I recently got a tattoo that says "Vive memor quam sis aevi brevis"  translated "Be mindful (of) how you are of a brief lifetime".  I got it as a reminder to myself that we only get one life and to live it to the fullest.  At the time, I was not thinking about my health, but shortly after I realized that I had gained almost 100 lbs since graduating military boot camp in 2001 (aka the best shape of my life).  I decided that I needed to take my tattoo literal as well and apply it to my health.  I turn 34 in May and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life by 35.  That gives me 13 months.  I liked the results and how I felt after my last Whole 30 but the siren song of fast food, carbs and pizza was too much and I caved shortly after finishing and not looking back.  I am excited to do this again AND stick with a healthier lifestyle once Whole 30 is officially over.   Last time I was not working out because I made excuses that I wanted to see how just changing my eating habits would effect me but the real reason was I didnt want to get off my fat ass and move.  Thats something I am changing this time as well.  Anyway, I welcome anyone else starting on the 1st.  Lets be friends and "suffer" through the 30 days of April together. 

Regards,

Colin

I remember you also - welcome back - have you made a plan for what will happen post Whole30 this time around? 

I plan on going to a modified Paleo diet.  Still no grains and processed sugars, I will bring back limited dairy.  I also will have one meal a week (probably Saturday night) where I can eat what I want as long as I didnt "cheat" during the week but for the next 30 days of course I am going strictly Whole 30

I plan on going to a modified Paleo diet.  Still no grains and processed sugars, I will bring back limited dairy.  I also will have one meal a week (probably Saturday night) where I can eat what I want as long as I didnt "cheat" during the week but for the next 30 days of course I am going strictly Whole 30

That's a great decision.  I wondered whatever happened to hebchill.  Post on.  Post on.

Hey, Colin! I'm Katie, and I have to say: the title of your post totally dragged me in. I'm also starting my 2nd Whole 30 on April 1st, and I'm digging your idea for what to call it! ;) I can definitely be here for support/griping/tough love/spontaneous bursts of other movie references!

• Moderators

I plan on going to a modified Paleo diet. Still no grains and processed sugars, I will bring back limited dairy. I also will have one meal a week (probably Saturday night) where I can eat what I want as long as I didnt "cheat" during the week but for the next 30 days of course I am going strictly Whole 30

Did you do re-introductions last time? One of the big pitfalls of first whole30's that don't 'stick' is that we think we're just going to eat like this forever... and then something comes up and then another something and since we don't really know what's worth it or what's going to hurt, we eat everything and quickly lose track of that amazing Whole30 feeling. For that meal per week you're going to indulge, you really want to know what's worth it to indulge in and what absolutely isn't... it helps in the lifestyle going forward because one week you might just not feel like the 'whatever' is worth it... just because you give yourself permission for that meal doesn't mean that when it comes up, you're going to want to go off course... the only way you know that is with the tools to know what the impacts will be so you can make the 'worth it' decision...

Please also... you're a grown adult... if you choose to eat something off plan after your whole30, that's not cheating. That's making an adult decision to consume something. Maybe the decision doesn't end up being one you're proud of but you still didn't 'cheat'. You made a decision, received personal feedback from that decision and you're going to use that information to make the next decision. Cheating implies that you've done something wrong and that you're not responsible for the consequences. I"m totally not trying to be a jerk, just calling attention to the verbiage that is being used because sometimes how we speak to ourselves about things can change how we perceive our actions etc... Get me? :)

Hey, Colin! I'm Katie, and I have to say: the title of your post totally dragged me in. I'm also starting my 2nd Whole 30 on April 1st, and I'm digging your idea for what to call it! ;) I can definitely be here for support/griping/tough love/spontaneous bursts of other movie references!

Oh I am chock full of movie references.  I am sure I will have a lot over the next 30ish days

Did you do re-introductions last time? One of the big pitfalls of first whole30's that don't 'stick' is that we think we're just going to eat like this forever... and then something comes up and then another something and since we don't really know what's worth it or what's going to hurt, we eat everything and quickly lose track of that amazing  feeling. 

I totally did not do re-introductions like I should have because we had a work conference start right at the end so I ate my last Whole 30 on day 1 of the conference and then the rest of it I went totally off the wagon because they fed us well.  Probably not a single Whole 30 compliant food during that first day after and boy did I pay for it.  I did better the next day but I didnt follow the book like I should have.  We have conference coming up again about a week after my Whole 30 will be done but this time I will be prepared.   Thanks for the advice!

Had a Health Screening at work today.  My numbers were not good but I mentioned that I was starting Whole 30 again and told them all my bad numbers would be lowered and my good numbers would be raised when they came back next year.  They also told me I needed to start eating an avocado a day.. I told them that would not be an issue.  Need to go to the store tonight so I am totally ready for tomorrow!  BRING IT ON! 

Had a Health Screening at work today.  My numbers were not good but I mentioned that I was starting Whole 30 again and told them all my bad numbers would be lowered and my good numbers would be raised when they came back next year.  They also told me I needed to start eating an avocado a day.. I told them that would not be an issue.  Need to go to the store tonight so I am totally ready for tomorrow!  BRING IT ON! 

Since we know each other... ;)  I want to share something with you.  I didn't experience the KAT phase and if I had I wouldn't have taken any anger out on anyone around me.  That's not in my wheelhouse and most anger is all about us anyway.

Regardless.  Most emotional eating is about stuffing our emotions down with food.  With the help of a counselor,  I quit stuffing my emotions down.  Anger is an emotion but it's lower down on the rung.  It can actually be better than depression if processed in the correct way because stuffing our emotions causes depression.

Put anger to good use and get moving.  Ahhh, hail yes.  You don't need to take it out on anyone or scare your coworkers, friends and family.  Nuh huh.  But it can help get your body moving.  It feels good to process anger in a soooper positive way.  Get moving, burn fat and process emotions, including anger.  If it brings you to tears out there on the trail, so be it.  Let it rip.  Cry and process anger at the same time.  Laugh through your tears or do all three.  Just let it catapult you out of the chair, starting today and move through it.

No more stuffing emotions with food.  You're not going out like that and neither am I.  

When you choose to move... everything will get better.  Anger movement is better than depression.

Hail, yes,  hebchill!

Archived