KJay290

Day 29 Whole 30 Period Probs!

Hey guys, 

So I am on my Day 29 of my 1st Whole 30. I got my period about 2 weeks late and have been having really abnormal symptoms for my body so far. I have been lightly spotting and experiencing intense cramps and feeling bloated pretty much every day for the past week. Before I started the Whole 30, I had irregular periods, some months it would come, some months it would not, and barely would ever feel sore from them, but this one has been really really painful daily. I am feeling super bloated and not Tiger-Bloodish at all in my last week. I am afraid that when I take a look at my results from the beginning to the end of my journey they will not be accurate because how I am feeling now. Also, I am afraid my bloat will throw off my "flat belly" result and my weight loss total on Day 31. I know it's not about scale victories only, but I do want to get an accurate Day 1 > Day 30 comparison! Help!

:)

It can take some time for hormonal issues to be sorted out, so it may just take you more than 30 days to really experience benefits in this area. If you're concerned that it's something more than just diet, obviously you'd want to check in with your doctor.

If you want to post a day or two worth of typical food (including approximate portion sizes), water, and exercise, we can double check that there's not something obvious contributing to the bloating (for instance, too many nuts can cause it, for some people certain vegetables like cruciferous vegetables or even just eating lots of raw vegetables instead of cooked can cause it). 

I think if it were me, instead of worrying about the day 1 vs day 30 totals, I'd wait until I was feeling better and then do measurements/weigh in. It wouldn't be exactly 30 days, but would be more accurate. You probably don't want to start reintroductions until you're feeling better anyway, just to be sure you get an accurate feel for your reactions -- how would you know if, say, dairy caused bloating, if you were already bloated before you had any?

Thanks! Thats super helpful, really appreciate it.

These 2 days are pretty typical for me-

Day 27- 

Breakfast- 2 eggs over easy, 1/2 avocado, banana

Lunch- spaghetti squash with ground turkey and an apple

Dinner-pulled chicken with homemade tomato sauce over spinach

Day 28- 

Breakfast- 2 eggs over easy, 1/2 avocado, banana

Lunch-Chicken w/ spinach, beets, artichokes, and sunflower seeds

Dinner-Steak and spaghetti squash and an apple

Also, I drink roughly a glass of water with each meal and I live in NYC so I walk approximately 3-4 miles daily. I am also a dancer, so I am active.

Have you seen the meal template?  It's linked in my signature below.  Your breakfast doesn't have any vegetables and eggs, when your sole source of protein, are as many as you can hold without dropping.  I'm positive you can hold 3-4.

The rest of your meals are hard to tell portions but do they match the template?

Where is the fat in your first lunch and both dinners?

You're no where near eating enough for an adult human and moreover someone who is active like you are.

Also, are you drinking more water than a glass with the meal?  The recommendation is 1/2oz per pound of body weight... 

Okay, I did say that I am eating 2 eggs with each breakfast, please re-read what I posted.

I am following the portion suggestions and cooking with fats in response to your meal templates comment.

How many eggs can you hold in your hand without feeling like you're going to drop any of them? I guarantee you it's more than 2. So you should be eating more than 2 eggs. I can hold 4 but I don't like eggs enough to eat 4 of them at a time so I do 2 eggs AND half a palm (ish) of another protein. 

Cooking with fats and eating enough fats are two completely different things, too. A lot of the fat stays in the pan when you've cooked it so it doesn't get eaten. 

You've said you're a dancer and you're active, so are you having some lean protein and starchy carb post-workout? 

For breakfast you're only having about half a serve of protein (two eggs is half of four eggs).

If you don't want to eat more eggs, add half a serve of protein :)

Your dance muscles need proper fuel!

There's no one here who is a doctor and medical professionals can't diagnose over the internet.

The things we can help with are your meal plan as it relates to your hormones.  These two things are inextricably linked, so by not eating enough, you're throwing your hormones into chaos, which could be contributing to your period problems.

We have no specific advice to give you on your personal period outside of how it may or may not related to your intake.