Pre Race food choice?

katerpa

I understand that by eating a fat pre work out our bodies learn to burn fat. But what about performance? I am running a 5k on day 7 of whole 30 and want to maximize performance. Should I choose a card pre race? It is a short distance so I feel like have more sugar accessible will improve performance.

• Moderators

Fat and protein are good choices for pre workout.  You want your body to learn to burn fat and feeding it sugar (carbs) before it has to do any strenuous work isn't going to teach it anything... it will preferentially burn the easiest fuel, which will be that pre-race carb... don't do it!

• Moderators

Perhaps I don't understand.

When you teach your body to be a fat burner, it's more efficient and stronger as a fat burner... ie: you get better performance.  In the time between becoming a sugar burner and a fat burner, performance can suffer, but continuing to confuse your body by giving it sugar sometimes and fat sometimes is doing nothing to help the conversion to fat burner.

Personally, unless you're winning significant amounts of money from this 5K race, i would treat it like any other workout and fuel now the way you wish to go forward...

As suggested in the other thread, increase your starchy veg before the race, preferably the night before. At a 5k effort, you won't be burning much fat so the prerace fat won't help here.

I know you are looking for a fuel "kick" before your race. You won't have time to fat adapt in one week. Nor will you have time to test foods and timing. So you're best bet I guess might be to ask your body to pull from that starchy veg you ate prior.

Again I recommend eating for this race as you have been training for it. Otherwise you are potentially losing out on 8 weeks of preparation for some nutritional experimentation. Which one is more important to you? Race or Whole30? Why are you doing a second round, what are your goals?

I've been racing for 10 plus years, know what I can or can't tolerate food wise, spent many seasons optimizing it all. Personally I wouldn't jeopardize my race like this, I wouldn't want to test new foods day of. I could tell you what I do, but that doesn't help you as you aren't me and you won't have time to test it.

Archived