It's not all about the scale...

Karen

I've seen some stories where people lose 15-20 pounds during a single Whole30. I'm not one of them... In fact, after my first Whole30, I was kinda bummed about my modest weight loss. But between my first Whole30 (lost 6), some off-roading in-between (lost 9, though I had no idea because my scale was broken...), and my second Whole30 (lost 5), I'm down 20 pounds since the end of June. 20 pounds! Prior to that, I dropped about 8 pounds when I gave up nuts, so overall I'm down 28 pounds since March. This is only by diet alone - no exercise with the exception of a walk every few weeks. I won't lie - I think finally being on the right thyroid medication is helping (cytomel), but I know tweaks to my diet were necessary to get the ball rolling.

But that's not the most amazing part... I'm the same weight I was 2 years ago, but my measurements are TOTALLY different now and I'm able to wear clothes that haven't fit in 5 years! My waist, lower abdomen, and individual thigh measurements are each 1" smaller than they were two years ago. Despite my scale giving my a familiar number, I totally shrunk. I still have more to lose, but I'm totally encouraged now. For those of you just looking at the scale, that's not the only measure of how much your body is reacting to a Whole30!

The reason why I did a second Whole30 is because my energy levels have really sucked for the past few years. I'm not going to lie - the Whole30 did absolutely nothing for this. I'm furious with traditional doctors and my (very patient and persistent) functional doc is out of ideas for me. So, I made an appointment with the head of the integrative medicine department at a university hospital at the suggestion of someone that knows him in the hopes that he'll have a different perspective. I find that most non-traditional doctors start their focus with diet, assuming most eat a SAD, so I wanted to go into that appointment eating as clean as I can so he can really focus on everything else. My appointment is on Monday. Wish me luck!

Sounds like an interesting appt, hope he has some ideas for you.

Totally with you on the scales v's physical shrinkage. I had a 10 point callipers test done last week. In the last year my skin folds are down a combined 26mm and my p.t was v.impressed :) My weight?- down half a kilo! 1lb!

Thanks to all! I did a bit of shopping this weekend to start replacing a bit of my wardrobe. I'm still not loving how pants look just yet, but at least my upper half is making up for it! :) The only downside to all this is that despite my weight loss, my... eh hem... chest has yet to shrink at all. I feel a bit out of proportion...

Archived