Rocktober in Stockholm: Emma's Whole30 Log

EmmaSthlm

DAY 0: READY TO ROCK

Finished up the last milk, had the last two pieces of dark chocolate, cleaned out the fridge, picked up lots of vegetables, some fruit and berries, eggs, chicken, and salmon. Feeling excited, but a little bit nervous.

Whole30 is not as big here in Sweden as it is in the US, so I really need the support from this forum. I am looking forward to follow all of you, who also start Whole30 this October - or "Rocktober", as it was called by another member: a month that will rock!

Tonight I will go to bed early, in order to be prepared for the first day. However it is Sunday, so I will also get a chance to chat for a while over Skype with my beloved son, who lives in Kansas. When he was a child, he used to point at my stomach and say that he loved his "soft-tummy-mummy".

Well dear, I am sorry to say, but that soft tummy might soon be history...

DAY 1: LOGGING IN

First day fine, so far. I have been feeling a little bit tired, but I am not sure if it is due to lack of sleep; lots of stress at work; cold, rainy weather - or W30.

FOOD

B: omelet with veggies & avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L: organic prosciutto, tomatoes & cashews

D: raw salmon, salad, tomatoes, avocado, coriander & smoothie

S: pear & cashews, blackberries & almond butter

MOOD

Bad. It's Monday, which means meetings, meeetings, and more meetings. I hate Mondays!

MOVE

90 min walk (in the rain!), 30 min NTC (Nike Training Club), 3003 Fuel (and no, I am not sponsored by Nike).

SLEEP

7 hrs. 01-08. Had a hard time falling asleep; all excited after having talked to sweetest son in Kansas.

DAY 2: PICNIC @ THE JURY MEETING

Had a full day jury meeting for the Swedish Design Awards today, with all three meals included. BUT I called in advance and told them that I would be bringing my own food. I believe that is the way to go.

FOOD

B: omelet with veggies & avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L: salmon, salad, tomatoes, avocado, lime & coriander

D: roasted lamb, broccoli, wild mushrooms, banana

S: cashews & almond butter

MOOD

Fine. Full of energy. But waiting for the dip to come. When will it be here? Tomorrow? Day 4? Next week?

MOVE

80 min walk, 15 min NTC + 10 min extra strength, 3010 Fuel.

SLEEP

6,5 hrs. 11:30 – 6:00. Woke up early due to work stress.

DAY 3: LOTS OF LIES & PERHAPS SOME MILK

Busy day at work. Lots of meetings. Made up a lie – and skipped the food at a lunch meeting. Made up a second lie - and scheduled a â€M(e)-meeting†and went to the gym in between all budget negotiations. Went to a reception at night, had a glass of water – and a great time!

Only worry is that I cannot remember if I, by accident, put some milk in my afternoon coffee, or not. I hope not. But I was not paying attention, and I am afraid I might have done it automatically. It takes a while to change habits.

FOOD

B 2 boiled eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso (=breakfast in a hurry)

L organic prosciutto, tomatoes, pear

D steak, salad, ½ avocado

S cashews, banana, salmon

MOOD

Very good. Lots of energy.

MOVE

60 min walk, 45 min NTC, 3800 Fuel

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-07.00. Fell asleep right away and woke up by the alarm.

DAY 4: MAKING W30 MUCH EASIER

Worked from home today. It is so easy to eat well when you cook for yourself!

Went to a spinning class in the morning and stopped by a new little organic, locally produced grocery store that just opened in my neighborhood, on my way home. It was amazing; they had absolutely everything, it was much cheaper than elsewhere, they are open 8-8 everyday, and it is half a block away from my apartment! Whole30 suddenly became so much easier!

I must also admit something: I drank a smoothie tonight. A small one made of unsweetened cocoa water, lots of spinach, and some frozen berries. I had it as part of my dinner, instead of berries and coconut milk, for example. How dangerous can it be?

FOOD

B 2 boiled eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L salmon, broccoli, wild mushrooms, sweet potatoes

D roasted lamb, broccoli, wild mushrooms, sweet potatoes, olives, smoothie

S ½ banana with almond butter, prosciutto, berries, cashews

MOOD

Still happy with lots of energy.

MOVE

45 min spinning, 60 min x-trainer (instead of walking), 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.30-07.30. A beautiful night, slept really well.

DAY 5: WHY AM I NOT FEELING BAD?

This is the day I should be feeling bad. I am not. Not at all. Am I doing something wrong? Is it yet to come? Perhaps tomorrow?

Had a stressful day at work, again, and will have to work all weekend, again. Stress is my biggest enemy – and the number one threat to my health!

Went to an opening at the Modern Museum at night. Sticked to a glass of water and no wine, of course. It felt fine. I like being sober!

This was the third social occasion this week, and there will be another one tomorrow night. But it is really not a problem.

FOOD

B omelet with veggies & ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L tomato soup, prosciutto, ½ banana with almond butter

D roasted lamb, broccoli, wild mushrooms, sweet potatoes, olives

S cashews

MOOD

Still happy with lots of energy.

MOVE

120 min walking, 4000 Fuel.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 11.30-06.30. Slept well, but woke up by work stress (and a funny nightmare where my boss and I were supposed to run a BodyPump-class - and none of us had prepared....).

DAY 6: SOCIAL CHALLENGES

Tonight was my fourth night out this week. I have so many social events I have to attend to, as part of my work. And tonight came the biggest challenge so far.

It was the big opening for the season at the Opera here in Stockholm, and I went with the CEO of one our biggest sponsors. So I just had to be smooth. And, of course, I was offered tons of things I could not eat: champagne, foie de gras, toasts with caviar, etc. It was like a long show of non-compliant food.

But they did also have sparkling water, so the night was saved.

I was also smart enough to have half a bananapancake around 4 pm, before I went. And I threw a bag of non-salted, organic cashews in my handbag, and had some in (in the bathroom) during the break. And when I got home, around 10 pm, I had my second dinner, a small salad with roasted lamb.

FOOD

B boiled eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L spaghetti squash bolognaise, plums & espresso

D1 bananapancake with blackberries (4 pm)

D2 salad with roasted lamb (10 pm)

S cashews

MOOD

Still absolutely fine. No problems working out as usual.

MOVE

60 min walk, 60 min Functional Moves, 3300 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-07.00. Slept well, but woke up a little earlier than planned. Perhaps I should try to go to bed earlier.

I'm so impressed by how prepared you are in tough situations and still sticking to the plan. Also so much great walking! :D Keep up the awesome work and don't worry about things like having a nutritious and Whole30 compliant smoothie even if it's not at the ideal time. Nobody's perfect! :D

DAY 7: A NEW ME?

Woke up early, with lots of energy, and decided to skip my usual Sunday morning yoga class and instead go for a run. Before breakfast, which is really something I never do, since I always wake up starving.

But not on W30. I think the biggest difference is that I can go much longer without food. And, of course, that I have so much energy.

Jumping out of bed before 8 o'clock a Sunday morning, and going for a one hour run before breakfast, is really a new me!

FOOD

B (compliant) bacon & eggs, tomatoes, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L spaghetti squash bolognaise with chili & egg, plums, espresso

D roasted lamb, broccoli, sweet potatoes, blackberries

S cashews, orange – and lots of herbal tea

MOOD

Tons of energy.

MOVE

60 min run, 4000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.30-07.45. Slept really well and woke up by myself.

And last, but most important: thanks Jenny & Derval!

DAY 8: LCHF vs WHOLE30

The first week was so easy, so I am almost puzzled. Am I doing something wrong? Or will I start feeling bad now, during week 2?

When I once did a LowCarbHighFat (LCHF)-diet, which is extremely popular here in Sweden, I became so sick. I had no energy, felt really bad all the time, lost hair, became stupid, etc. And a lot of people, at least here in Sweden, say that LCHF and Paleo are almost the same. Therefore I was worried about doing Whole30.

But I find Whole30 to be really different from LCHF, which might be the reason for why I am not having any problems this time. I hated having cream in my coffee, bacon every day, and lots of butter, as was suggested in LCHF. It made me sick! And I had problems going so low carb, and not eat fruits or sweet potatoes or other things with carbs. It made me stupid! And I could just not identify with the LCHF-community, where many people seemed to be proud of not exercising. Exercise is such an important part of my life!

LCHF was really not for me, while Whole30 feels like I finally found my way of eating and living. I hope it stays that way.

Otherwise, I am noticing that my body really craves different types of exercises each day. Yesterday I just had to go running. Today I really craved a heavy work-out with weights. How come?

FOOD

L lamb, broccoli, sweet potatoes, orange (leftovers)

D salmon, avocado, tomatoes, salad, coriander, lime

S ¼ bananapancake with blackberries, organic kale chips

MOOD

Fine, but a little bit stressed at work. I am not happy at my work, and it bothers me. And I work far too much, often +60 hours a week (without getting paid for overtime).

MOVE

60 min basic strength, 30 min rowing, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.45-07.45. Slept well, but woke up once feeling stressed and having nightmares about work.

Well everything that grows in the ground or on a tree is essentially a carb, and if you follow the meal template you'll be having a decent helping of veg 3 times a day, so not really low carb.

And it's great you don't feel awful :)

DAY 9: INSPIRING FOOD

The second day of the second week has been easy. Had â€lunch-therapy†with a friend, who also has her teenager on exchange in USA. We shared stories, and I had an absolutely wonderful â€warm autumn saladâ€, with beets, carrots, other veggies and lots of fresh herbs on top. It was so yummy – and I will definitely make it at home!

(And yes, I interviewed the waiter about all ingredients beforehand, but it seemed to be perfectly compliant – just veggies, olive oil and sea salt, roasted in the oven, with tons of fresh herbs on top.)

FOOD

B boiled egg, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L warm autumn salad with fresh herbs, espresso

D thai chicken with veggie, ¼ bananapancake with blackberries

S organic prosciutto & tomatoes

MOOD

Excellent. I am starting to think that the biggest change is that my anxiety level has really gone down.

MOVE

90 min walking, 3500 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.45-07.45. Slept well, but woke up twice from nightmares about work.

DAY 10: THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE

A third of W30 is already done. I cannot believe how easy it has been, and I am already planning a new W30 in March or April. And in between, I will try to go as Paleo as possible.

However, I wonder how easy it will be. In November and December I have a lot of travelling. In order, and one at a time: France, Switzerland, Russia, Denmark, and India.

Russia and India worry me the most: how easy is it to go Paleo there? In India, I will spend almost a month practicing yoga, so it will certainly be a healthy month. But I wonder about the food, I usually eat a lot of rice, bread and paneer while I am there. But now?

FOOD

L salmon, scrambled eggs, tomatoes, plums espresso

D thai chicken with veggies, blackberries

S cashews, ¼ bananapancake with blackberries

MOOD

Stressed. I have too much to do at work right now.

MOVE

45 min walking, 60 min Functional Moves, 3500 Fuel.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 11.45-06.45. Woke up an hour early due to work stress. Stupid, stupid stress!

DAY 11: W30 & CALORIES

I have not stepped on the scale, but I do not think I have lost a single pound so far. It does not really matter, even if I would love to loose five pounds at some point. But it might as well be after W30.

Yesterday, I did something you are not allowed to do. I counted the calories, just to see how much more, or less, I eat a typical day on W30. To my surprise, since I am always feeling so full, it was less than usual. Around 1500 calories, which is not a lot, since I am also exercising quite a bit.

How interesting! I will of course not go on counting calories, but all that old dairy and all the grains, that I used to be eating, must have a lot of calories.

FOOD

L organic prosciutto, tomatoes, cashews, plums

D lamb, broccoli & sweet potatoes

S plums, ¼ bananapancake with blackberries

MOOD

Good. I had a wonderful lecture, with an amazing group of students, today - and it made work feel meaningful again.

MOVE

90 min walking, 15 min core, 4200 Fuel

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.15-07.15. High-quality.

DAY 12: TIRED

Today was the first day I ran out of energy. I was so tired after work, that I skipped workout at the gym and instead took an extra long walk home in the autumn sun.

I have also been more hungry than usual. I was hungry right after breakfast, although I had my usual two eggs, ½ avocado, and ½ grapefruit. And I was starving when I got home, although I had an ordinary lunch as well as some cashews for snack. How come?

Perhaps it is all because it is Friday after a stressful week. I felt a little bit better at night, and even managed to bring out some weights and do a workout at home.

FOOD

L roasted lamb, broccoli & sweet potatoes

D butternutsquashsoup with shrimps, ¼ bananapancake with blackberries

S cashews, orange & pear

MOOD

Tired, for the first time since I started W30.

MOVE

100 min walking, 30 min weights, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.15-07.15. High-quality.

DAY 13: PARTY

Tonight is a big party. There is no food served (great!), but lots of red wine – and, hopefully, some water. I think I will be fine. I plan to drink water, talk to friends and perhaps dance. And I will bring some cashews just in case.

Otherwise I am working again this weekend, but thankfully the energy that was gone yesterday is back today. I think I was just exhausted after a tough week of work yesterday.

FOOD

L large salad with grilled salmon, plums

D roasted lamb, broccoli, wild mushrooms, olives & sweet potatoes

S ½ banana with almond butter (post-workout), pear, espresso

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

90 min walking, 60 min Functional Moves, 3400 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-07.00. High-quality. Woke up by myself.

DAY 14: TWO WEEKS

The party went well and I followed my plan: I walked back and forth (90 min), I only drank water, and I brought some organic, unsalted cashews as a snack. The only bad thing is that I came home too late. I wasn't in bed until 00:30, and then I woke up, as always, at 7:30. So only 7 hours of sleep, which is not enough for me.

Otherwise I have now done two weeks on Whole30, and I have not yet felt a single problem: no headache, no â€carb fluâ€, no anger, no cravings. I feel better than ever before!

FOOD

B bacon & eggs, ½ grapefruit, espresso (it is Sunday!)

L salad with lamb, sweet potatoes, olives, plums, espresso

D butternutsquashsoup with shrimps, plums

S ½ bananapancake with blackberries (post-workout)

MOOD

A little bit tired due to lack of sleep.

MOVE

60 min walking, 45 min x-trainer, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 00.30-07.30. High-quality, but not enough.

Archived