Rocktober in Stockholm: Emma's Whole30 Log

EmmaSthlm

DAY 15: A CHALLENGE

I cannot believe I am already on my third week. This will be a challenging week, though, since I am travelling to Northern Sweden for two conferences. (And yes, it will be probably be snow there.)

I have prepared the best I can. I have e-mailed arrangers, restaurants and the hotel, and told them what I can and cannot eat. And I have checked that the hotel has a gym (yes!). But still, I will have three breakfasts, three lunches, and three dinners out this week – and it will be a challenge!

FOOD

B boiled eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L sashimi, kiwi, espresso

D salad with lamb and olives, persimmon

S 1/4 bananapancake with berries (pre-workout)

MOOD

A little bit blue – perhaps because it is a rainy Monday.

MOVE

120 min walking, 60 min circuit-training, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-07.00. High-quality, but why not longer?

DAY 16: DRAGONS

Half-way, and I am mostly proud that I have not stepped on the scale yet, since I believe that is my biggest dragon. Otherwise, I do not seem to have so many dragons.

I have never been tempted by sugar, and I have always been able to keep candy, chocolate, and ice-cream in the house without touching it. Also before Whole30.

Nuts also seems to be OK, as long as I stick with unsalted ones.

FOOD

L salmon, spinach, kiwi, espresso

D salad with chicken, 1/4 bananapancake with berries

S cashews, pear

MOOD

Better today.

MOVE

120 min walking, 3200 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-07.00. High-quality, but nightmare about eating eggs with the shell on!

DAY 17-19: TRAVELLING

Three days on the road turned out to be a bit difficult. I had e-mailed the hotel and the restaurants beforehand, but it did not really work out. Not in small town Northern Sweden.

To start with the bad parts: One of the three lunches was really difficult. They served a huge buffet, but I could not find anything to eat beside salad, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers (and olive oil). No protein.

And one dinner I am a bit worried about. I think they might have used butter when they grilled the fish, but I am not sure (and I will not start over). They also put Parmesan on my entrée, but that was easier to see and skip.

But there were good parts as well. The hotel was absolutely great and it was physically connected to a real (complimentary) gym, which was much better than the gym I belong to at home. So I ended up working out every day!

To make it even more fun, it turned out that one of the guys attending the same conference competes in Crossfit. It was really fun and we flew together back to Stockholm tonight, and I got tons of tips!

The hotel also served a delicious breakfast, with lots of eggs, veggies, meat, berries, and real espresso! And one night we had dinner there and it was just wonderful and they made an effort to tell me that they had not used any butter, etc. And do you know what? They even had two set of dumbbells and exercise videos in every hotel room! I wish all hotels could be like that!

I must also add that I personally had no problems at all following Whole30! I drank water when everybody else drank champagne, cocktails, and wine. I skipped all desserts (even the one that was made for me). I used my GPS and walked everywhere. And, as said before, I worked out really hard every day! So I am content!

DAY 17

FOOD

B boiled eggs, avocado, espresso

L roast, salad

D carpaccio, grilled fish, veggies

S cashews, fruit

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

30 min PowerWalk, 30 min crossfit, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 10.30-06.30. Had to get up early to catch a flight.

DAY 18

FOOD

B boiled eggs, turkey, veggies, orange, espresso

L salad.

D ceviche, pulled pork, veggies

S cashews, fruit

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

90 min walking, 30 min crossfit, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.30-07.30. High-quality.

DAY 19

FOOD

B boiled eggs, turkey, veggies, orange, espresso

L meatballs (compliant),salad

D grassfed beef, salad, melon

S cashews, fruit

MOOD

Excellent.

MOVE

90 min walking, 30 min crossfit, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

7 hrs. 11.30-06.30. Got up early to work out an extra time.

DAY 20: DINNER SOLUTION

Tonight I was invited over to a friend's house for dinner, but when I sent the list of things I could and could not eat, my friend suggested that we should move the dinner to my house. So that I could cook Whole30 food for all of us. The others would just bring wine and dessert, for themselves.

It went fine. I cooked a large Bouillabaisse, without wine, but with really good, fresh seafood and fish: salmon, cod, seabass, shrimps, mussels… mmm. Served with an homemade aioli with saffron. Bread and cheese for the others. Olives for all. And then some berries for dessert for me, and chocolate for the others.

FOOD

B boiled eggs, avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso

L lambburger, salad, olives melon, espresso

D bouillabaisse, olives, berries

S ¼ bananapancake with berries

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

45 min PW/jog, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.00-06.00 + 5.00-5.30. Woke up too early and felt tired all day. I sleep tight, but I seem to wake up earlier with Whole30. Took a nap in order to survive the night.

DAY 21: EXERCISE CRAVINGS

My exercise cravings continue to surprise me. I have totally changed my workout habits since I started W30. I used to practice yoga 4-5 times a week. And now I never feel like unrolling my mat. It is so weird.

Instead I get cravings for lifting heavy, running, and, today... dancing. I have not taken a dance class in several years, but today my body just wanted to dance. How strange is that? Am I the only one who gets these kind of cravings?

FOOD

B eggs, bacon, tomatoes, espresso (it's Sunday)

L bouillabaisse, plums, espresso

D lambburgers, sweet potatoes, salad, olives

S ¼ bananapancake with berries (post-workout)

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

60 min DanceAerobics, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

9,5 hrs. 00.30-10.00. What happened? I never sleep this long!

DAY 22: HUNGRY

Today I am hungry. Perhaps due to a lack of sleep. Or PMS. Or because of boredom (it is Monday, which means meeeeeetings…). Or because I had to little to eat for lunch.

I did the fish & broccoli-test, and realized I was really hungry, but unfortunately there were no fish and broccoli served at my meetings. Instead I had some fruit with almond butter, and later in the afternoon, when I was still hungry, some cashews. Too many nuts, but I don't know what to do when you are starving and stucked in meetings all day.

FOOD

L organic prosciutto, ½ avocado, tomatoes

D salmon, salad with sweet potatoes & olives, ¼ bananapancake with berries

S almond butter, cashews & fruit

MOOD

Tired. Hungry.

MOVE

90 min walking, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

<7 hrs. 00.30-7.30. Had a hard time falling asleep and woke up once, after a long, late night talk with my sixteen year old son in Kansas. I miss him so much!

DAY 23: BACK ON TRACK

Today I am back on track. I slept my 8 hours, I walked, I worked out, and I had enough to eat. I am back on track.

FOOD

L omelet with organic prosciutto & lots of veggies, espresso

D salmon, salad, ½ avocado, tomatoes

S ¼ bananapancake with berries, cashews

MOOD

Good.

MOVE

90 min walking, 30 min Body Express. 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 11.30-7.30. High-quality.

DAY 24: LOOKING GOOD

Another social day. I have been on a jury for a case competition all day and night, and everything but compliant food was constantly served: candies, sandwiches, cookies, cake, wine, champagne, cheese, chocolate, soda…

But I sticked to water, herbal tea, some fruit, and my own snacks. I also brought my own lunch and managed to find some great food at the dinner buffet.

Today several people also commented that it looks like I have lost weight. Perhaps I have. We will see next week.

FOOD

L salmon, avocado, tomatoes

D salad, shrimp, chicken, olives

S cashews, organic prosciutto, plums

MOOD

Good.

MOVE

60 min walking, 3400 Fuel.

SLEEP

7,5 hrs. 11.30-7.00. High-quality.

DAY 25: IN NEED OF CARBS?

This morning I went for a spinning class, but it was only me and my very favorite American instructor, so he decided to do a more PT-like session (for free!) with hard intervals.

I almost died. It was the worst ever. I realized that while I might have gained strength and endurance during W30, I can no longer do hard intervals. And my very favorite instructor just looked at me and said:

- You need more carbs !

I think he might be right. I hardly had any carbs at all yesterday, and perhaps that was the reason for why I completely ran out of energy today.

Today I therefore made sure I had both sweet potatoes and butternut squash. And perhaps I will try to reintroduce some unprocessed whole grains, as he suggested, next month, when I am done with my Whole30.

And I will definitely start doing more intervals. I really need that type of cardio!

FOOD

L chicken, salad, tomatoes, olives, sweet potatoes

D butternut squash soup, serrano, plums

S ½ banana with almond butter (post-workout), ½ bananapancake with berries, pear, cashews

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

30 min intervals bike, 30 min x-trainer, 15 min core, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8 hrs. 00.00-08.00. High-quality, but strange dream about W30, where I got really sick, but refused to quit.

DAY 26: TOO MUCH ENERGY TO SLEEP?

Woke up early today. That happens sometimes on W30. I go to sleep very easily, I sleep tight all night, but I wake up too early. And I am wide awake straight away, and cannot go back to sleep. I can barely stay in bed, since I have so much energy.

Worked out with the same trainer as yesterday, but today with weights, which went fine. I have not lost, but rather gained strength on W30. It is just the hard intervals I find difficult.

FOOD

L butternut squash soup with shrimps, plums, espresso

D grass-fed beef, salad, tomatoes, olives, sweet potatoes

S ½ banana with almond butter (post-workout), ½ bananapancake with berries

MOOD

Fine, but a little bit tired tonight.

MOVE

60 min circuit-training, 30 min treadmill, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

<7 hrs. 11.30-06.00. High-quality, but woke up too early.

DAY 27: BLISS!

My first day off from work since September 8! Pure happiness. Pure bliss.

Started the day with a long breakfast. Continued with a two hour workout. Had lunch. Took a long bath. Went for a walk and tea with an old friend. The perfect Saturday!

At night I went to something that might be classified as partly work, but it did not really feel like that. It was the opening of the new national arena, with some of the top Swedish groups playing live: First Aid Kit, Loreen, The Hives, Roxette… (well, you might not have heard of any of them; Sweden is a small and remote country).

And by now I no longer care if people think I am crazy who only drink water and not champagne. Or when I pass on most of the food, even when it - as tonight - is made by masterchefs. Who cares? I was happy to eat cashews from my handbag and drink water - as usual.

FOOD

L moose, broccoli, sweet potato, espresso

D salmon, ham, plum

S ½ bananapancake with berries, cashews

MOOD

Excellent – it was pure bliss to be off a day from work!

MOVE

90 min walking, 30 min dance, 30 min crosstrainer, 60 min Functional Moves, 4300 Fuel.

SLEEP

DAY 28: LOVELY SLEEP

Oh, how I love sleeping on Whole30! Last night some kids across the street had a big party, with loud music playing all night. The kind of party that kept the whole block awake, until someone called the police.

But I missed all the action, because I fell asleep anyhow and I did not wake up once. Thanks to W30.

And since we also changed from summer- to wintertime (and yes, it is about time, we have already had our first snow!), I got an extra hour of sleep tonight. 9 hours. Lovely.

FOOD

B bacon & eggs, ½ grapefruit, espresso (it's Sunday!)

L tomato soup, moose, melon, espresso

D chicken breast, sweet potato, salad, olives, pomegranate

S ½ bananapancake with berries

MOOD

Good.

MOVE

60 min crosstrainer, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

9 hrs. 11.30-07.30 (changed from summertime). High-quality.

DAY 29: ANXIETY

I have anxiety over the future. I feel like I need more than 30 days, but November and December will be difficult months due to a lot of travelling: Switzerland, France, Russia, Denmark, and India.

My plan is therefore to start reintroducing food in November, mainly as an experiment and in order to prepare for the travelling. And then I will do a new Whole30 (or Whole60, or Whole100, or WholeEternity) starting February 1 2013.

In November-January, I will stay away from sugar, white flour, processed food, and most dairy. And I will work out a lot (especially in India, where I will practice yoga and meditation for 5-6 hours a day for almost a month). So it will not be an unhealthy break from Whole30; just a little bit less strict.

FOOD

B boiled eggs, ½ avocado, ½ grapefruit, espresso (it's Sunday!)

L moose, sweet potatoes, broccoli, plums

D zucchini pasta bolognaise, melon

S ½ bananapancake with berries

MOOD

Anxiety.

MOVE

60 min walking, 30 min circuit-training, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

8,5 hrs. 11.00-07.30. High-quality.

DAY 30: THE FUTURE

Today is the very last day of Whole30. Tomorrow morning I am stepping on the scale, although I do not expect any results. I don't think that I have lost any weight, but it does not really matter. I have felt great throughout these 30 days, I have slept better than ever, I have been happier and more energetic, and I am quite sure I have redistributed my weight. So I am perfectly content!

And I will not drop Whole30 completely. During the next three months I will first try to reintroduce some foods, as an experiment and to prepare for travelling. I will otherwise eat like in Whole30 and focus on rehab for my injured knee, following my physical therapist's program rather than my ordinary workout schedule. The first six weeks will therefore be my rehab & reintroduction period.

Then I will move on to a great period. In India. Almost a month of yoga & meditation, 5-6 hours a day. It will be a healthy period, although completely different from Whole30. More inward-looking, more mindful, and with different food: mostly vegetarian, lots of legumes, some yoghurt and white rice. But no sugar, alcohol, other dairy or grains, so I think I will be OK.

And then, starting February 1 2013, I have decided to do another Whole30 in order to start over. I am already looking forward to it!

FOOD

L spaghetti squash bolognaise, apple

D chicken, sweet potato, broccoli & smoothie

MOOD

Fine.

MOVE

80 min walking, 30 min crosstraining, 3000 Fuel.

SLEEP

DAY 31: FINISHING STATS

I am done and this will be my last post here. For now. I have finished my first Whole30, and I am really happy. It has been so easy!

Before I move on to Success Stories and my Reintroduction Log, I would like to report my finishing stats:

I am still 5.7 tall.

My starting weight was 164 pounds. Now it is 159 pounds, which means that I have lost 5 pounds. It makes me happy, since it gives me a BMI of 24,9 – and no longer any overweight!

My waist was 32 inches; now it is 31 inches, which means that I have lost 1 inch – and also reached a healthy waist line!

I could not be happier. I have reached a healthy weight and a healthy waist, but most important of all: I have never felt better in my whole life!

And I will be back and do a new Whole30, starting February 1 2013.

Archived