If not now......when?

justgetsbetter

Starting my Whole30 today.  There's no best time to start a healthy lifestyle.  There are always excuses we can use.  They are never good or valid excuses.  I'm 56 years old and I want to be the healthiest I've ever been.  If I don't do it now, when will I do it?  Life is short.  The time is now. Today.  Here I go...........

Today is day three for me.  WOW!  When I woke up this morning I truly thought I had the full-on flu.  My entire body ached, my head ached and I was still tired.  I dragged myself to the kitchen, ate half a banana, warmed the heating pad and went back to bed for another 15 minutes with the heating pad on my neck and shoulders.  It worked.  Halfway through my shower I started feeling better and realized this is what carb-flu is.  

For me it isn't just carb-flu, it's also caffeine flu.  I've gone from 2-3 cups of coffee with hazelnut creamer and one full-sugar 12 oz. coke a day to water, water, water. I've never been a good water drinker so this is extremely challenging for me.  I definitely have to make my water more appealing with lime, cucumbers and/or mint.

I'm now halfway through the day and feeling pretty good about it.  Drinking lots of water and reminding myself why I'm doing this.  So many reasons.  One for my own health, but second, to help my three beautiful daughters understand the importance of taking care of the only body they have.

Yesterday would have been my brother's 66th birthday.  Unfortunately he died 10 years ago when he was only 56 (my age now) of a silent heart attack which was a result or complication of having Type 1 Diabetes.  Diabetes is a disease that ravages the internal organs. A person may look healthy on the outside, but the extent of the internal damage isn't visible.  When my brother had his heart attack it was a shock because he was doing well at keeping his numbers under control.  

My mother had Type 2 Diabetes.  She wasn't diagnosed with it until she was 75.

My oldest daughter (29) had her first baby 8 months ago and had Gestational Diabetes and is still on the verge of having full blown Diabetes.  I worry about her.  

I want to be an example to my family of how to live a healthy lifestyle and how to do everything I can to avoid being diagnosed with Diabetes at some point.  No matter how old your children are, if you just tell them what to do, tell them they need to live a more healthy lifestyle,  it might go in one ear and out the other.  

Being the example, showing them how to do it, is far more effective.

That's why I said, life can be short if we don't take care and I need to make better choices.

So.....................if not now, when?  Now!

It is really awesome you're committing to this, sounds like you have some really good reasons, and are not letting excuses get in your way!  You will start feeling much, much better.  There's lots of great herbal teas out there as well you can drink hot or cold, to break up the monotony of plain water.  I love ice-cold lemon water as well.

Way to grab the bull by the horns and lead by example!   :)

You dropped the coffee!  Wow.  I'm drinking mine right now knowing that at some point I'd like to give it up.  What a great role model you are for your family!  I'm an older mom and really want to be a healthy one, which I'm not at this point.  Congrats on Day 6.

Archived