Best Unsweetened Shreddd Organic Coconut

Kabhill

Looking to buy unsweetened organic coconut to make coconut milk.  Looking at offerings from "Let's Do Organic", Bob's Red Mill and Now Foods.  Wanting to know if anyone has any recommendations or has used any of these before.

• 5 months later...

Although Trader Joe's is hit and miss, I do love their unsweetened organic coconut.

Btw, how are you going to make your coconut milk?  I really need to make my Vitamix pay for itself.  I've had it for about five years now, but really haven't used it to its full potential.

Appreciate suggestions...

2 hours ago, Robertaworley said:

Although Trader Joe's is hit and miss, I do love their unsweetened organic coconut.

Btw, how are you going to make your coconut milk?  I really need to make my Vitamix pay for itself.  I've had it for about five years now, but really haven't used it to its full potential.

Appreciate suggestions...

It's pretty much like making nut milks. You soak the coconut, blend, then strain. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I realize this thread hasn't been commented on for a bit, but I want to comment on making coconut milk.

Use hot water (hot hot hot, but not boiling), and blend right away while the water is hot. It will help get all the fat from the flakes. No need to soak it. Using hot water makes it hard to squeeze the bag at the end to get all the good stuff out, but you will end up with a richer, creamier milk. You can try squeezing the bag between a couple pans - I use silicon oven mitts.

Archived