Mayo help!

Out whole foods has the primal kitchen mayos at $10 a jar. It's my go to because I don't trust myself with mayo

I'll have to check out this weekend if our Whole Foods carries it!  I find that the one in Madison is lacking in a lot of areas. At least they have compliant bacon ;)

I'll have to check out this weekend if our Whole Foods carries it! I find that the one in Madison is lacking in a lot of areas. At least they have compliant bacon ;)

I find them on the bottom shelf near the mayos. I've also seen it at Natural Grocers too (just the plain, not chipotle. The chipotle one is like crack. I eat a jar in like 3 or 4 days lol. I dip all my veggies in it lol

• Moderators

I accidentally made my mayo with EVOO instead of the light olive oil. It came out fine in terms of consistency, but it tastes disgusting! I've already added another lemon and a half of juice, but it hasn't helped. Any suggestions? I'd hate to waste all of it...

Maybe add strong flavors like garlic or hot sauce?

• 1 year later...

quick question, do you have to use light olive oil or will EVOO work?

i have tried with evoo many times and can’t get it to emulsify. Just turns all liquid like a drink.

i start with 1 egg room temp (out one hour), 1/2 tsp salt & dry mustard. 1/2 c EVOO

blender in mason jar. Let mix, then I go to add oil and it just stays liquid.  I’ve watched countless videos were they throw 2 c of oil in one mason jar and it just works but I’m worried it won’t because I keep wasting evoo and eggs.

HELP

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Giffs109 said:

quick question, do you have to use light olive oil or will EVOO work?

i have tried with evoo many times and can’t get it to emulsify. Just turns all liquid like a drink.

i start with 1 egg room temp (out one hour), 1/2 tsp salt & dry mustard. 1/2 c EVOO

blender in mason jar. Let mix, then I go to add oil and it just stays liquid.  I’ve watched countless videos were they throw 2 c of oil in one mason jar and it just works but I’m worried it won’t because I keep wasting evoo and eggs.

HELP

EVOO will give you really strong flavored mayo that most people don't really like. That's why the light-tasting oil is recommended, although you can pick another light tasting oil if you don't want to use light tasting olive oil -- avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils, for instance. Some people use part coconut oil, but you can't use all coconut oil or it will do really weird things once you put it back in the fridge and the oil solidifies. EVOO should work, but it's just not going to taste great.

If you're doing it in a mason jar with an immersion blender, put one egg, one cup of oil, whatever acid you prefer (lemon juice or vinegar are most common, lime juice will work), and seasonings all into the jar. Put the blender in all the way to the bottom, turn it on, and after a few seconds as the mixture starts to emulsify, you can slowly move the blender up through the mixture and even side to side a little to get everything incorporated. These are the instructions that I use:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ 

22 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

EVOO will give you really strong flavored mayo that most people don't really like.

Oh good lord.  This is one of those things that I thought, "C'mon, how bad could it possibly be??" and then one fateful day I was visiting my mom and wanted to make mayo and all she had on hand was EVOO, so again, "it can't possibly be as bad as people say.............."

1c2czb.jpg

yep, it's that bad.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Oh good lord.  This is one of those things that I thought, "C'mon, how bad could it possibly be??" and then one fateful day I was visiting my mom and wanted to make mayo and all she had on hand was EVOO, so again, "it can't possibly be as bad as people say.............."

1c2czb.jpg

yep, it's that bad.

It's horrific!

I've found that some days I use less or more EVOO that others... don't know if it's a humidity or atmosphere thing, but I reserve about a cup of oil and add it gradually. You'll hear a change in the sound of the blender as it begins to emulsify. When that happens, I don't try to add more oil... If I do, that's when it breaks and I get soup. Yuck!

Also, I warm my egg in a cup of hot water to bring it to room temperature quickly. Usually I don't feel like waiting when I'm in the mood to make mayo!

Stephanie

On 2018-04-16 at 8:54 PM, ShannonM816 said:

EVOO will give you really strong flavored mayo that most people don't really like. That's why the light-tasting oil is recommended, although you can pick another light tasting oil if you don't want to use light tasting olive oil -- avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils, for instance. Some people use part coconut oil, but you can't use all coconut oil or it will do really weird things once you put it back in the fridge and the oil solidifies. EVOO should work, but it's just not going to taste great.

If you're doing it in a mason jar with an immersion blender, put one egg, one cup of oil, whatever acid you prefer (lemon juice or vinegar are most common, lime juice will work), and seasonings all into the jar. Put the blender in all the way to the bottom, turn it on, and after a few seconds as the mixture starts to emulsify, you can slowly move the blender up through the mixture and even side to side a little to get everything incorporated. These are the instructions that I use:  https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ 

This is the best link! Worked like a charm; thank you!

Archived