Whole30 without coconut

YogaMomNYC

I will not be using coconut products during my Whole 30 (I won't bother you with the details as to why). I wanted to use palm oil, but have learned it's not environmentally sustainable (on an epic scale!). I've seen people suggest tallow, but I have no idea where to get it (every website I see only has it for candle- and soap-making - is it the same product?!?!). I'd love to find an alternative to cooking with olive oil so I can just use that raw. The coconut aminos are out - that will hurt, since the beef jerky recipe I want to try uses them. I don't mind losing soy, except for soy sauce.

Has anyone done a coconut-free Whole30? I'd love some advice.

I have so many wonderful healthy fats in my house, that I keep forgetting to use my coconut oil, so yes, it's more than possible. I use rendered chicken fat, (I have ordered some duck fat to make my own with duck), olive oil for uncooked things such as salads and my home made mayo, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil and last but not least...GHEE!!!! Love Ghee.

Okay, to add to my own question, first I'll bother you with the details - my husband cannot tolerate even the smell of coconut, and since we're in this together, and since he also lives in our house:-), I'm caving on coconut. However, I just realized that there is refined coconut oil that is tasteless and oder-less. I realize the health benefits are gone in that case, but at least it would allow me to cook with an oil that isn't actually toxic. If I can't get the benefits, I'll go for nutrition-neutral. Does anyone else use it?

I've used refined coconut oil, and while it doesn't have the same health benefits, it also doesn't smell or taste like...anything. My husband hates coconut, too. Can't stand to be in the room with the smell. I've used refined coconut oil to saute meat and vegetables and he doesn't notice. I will say he DID notice when I used it for eggs. When not on a Whole 30, we use bacon grease for his eggs.

BTW, I have read that refined coconut oil is stable at higher temperatures than unrefined, so it does have that going for it.

We have potential coconut allergies in my household, so I rarely uses coconut. So - I cook stuff in ghee a lot. I also have some organic leaf lard that I ordered online that is wonderful for high heat cooking. I've recently discovered duck fat and really like the flavor it brings to a lot of stuff!

I do wish I had the ability to use coconut milk/cream occasionally, but it's not too big of a deal.

Okay, to add to my own question, first I'll bother you with the details - my husband cannot tolerate even the smell of coconut, and since we're in this together, and since he also lives in our house:-), I'm caving on coconut. However, I just realized that there is refined coconut oil that is tasteless and oder-less. I realize the health benefits are gone in that case, but at least it would allow me to cook with an oil that isn't actually toxic. If I can't get the benefits, I'll go for nutrition-neutral. Does anyone else use it?

My husband hated the coconut oil when we first started our whole 30. I switched to using avocado oil for most things and he loves it. We are day 25 now and I haven't used coconut oil for anything since around day 7. The avocado oil gives vegetables a really great flavor that we prefer over olive oil.

Avocado oil sounds great, I'm going to try that. I've been sparing on the coconut oil and when my BF is around I can't use it either, he does not like it. Men and coconuts!

By the way, does anyone know how long home-made ghee lasts? I made some several weeks ago, probably more than a month, and I'm not sure if it's going to be good to use.

It also depends if you made real ghee or clarified butter and if you stuck it in the fridge. Supposedly, if you make real ghee (the milk solids at the bottom turn quite golden brown) then it's more stable than clarified butter and you can just keep it on your counter for months. I've never had it around that long.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived