Reappearance of pre-whole.30 symptoms on day 19

I am a LONG-time sufferer of bowel issues (pain, constipation, gassiness, bloating), and I tend to get a lot of headaches.  While I still move my bowels surprisingly (even alarmingly) infrequently while on whole30, the abdominal pain and bloating had disappeared.  Also, I hadn't had anything more than a very mild headache since starting whole30 20 days ago.  As of yesterday, I've had a headache that only goes away with Advil and then reappears 4 hours later, and my gut is back to being painful, gassy, and bloated. The only changes I think I've made recently is cutting back slightly on coffee and substituting "Stress Ease" herbal tea because my sleep has been abysmal, and trying "Natural Calm" to help my constipation and insomnia.  The constipation continues, the insomnia continues, and I now have my headache and gut pain back.  (Btw, I am a night shift worker...)

What's in your Stress Ease herbal tea? (some herbal teas can contain irritants)

I'd stop taking both of these two new things and see if you go back to normal. If you do, one of these is the culprit.

There are people who have trouble with natural calm.

I'm outside the USA but someone else may know the other brands (there are different ingredients for magnesium supplements, all magnesium but the different types have different gut results in different people). I get very different ones in Australia.

Thanks so much for your reply.  To answer your question about Stress Ease, it contains organic skullcap herb (it attacked my skullcap alright!), organic cinnamon bark, and organic licorice root...YIKES!  

I think I've come to the realization that I'm still in the process of cleansing my system.  I was in a horrible cycle of drinking coffee at night to get through my night shifts, taking Xanax with a half glass of wine in the morning when I got home so I could sleep during the day, and drinking alcohol at night on my nights off to help me "relax," "unwind," and "sleep better"...NOT HEALTHY!  Without the alcohol and Xanax, but without reducing my coffee intake, I was discovering that I was jacked and unable to sleep much of the time.  Again...NOT HEALTHY!  So I'm reducing my coffee intake to one cup per day, and I'm not using any other supplements, such as Stress Ease or Natural Calm.  I'll see if my sleep improves and my headaches subside.

I still haven't resolved the constipation issue, but maybe that will take care of itself in time.

Is it not ok to have skullcap, cinnamon or licorice root?  I was under the impression that herbs were ok!  I've been using cinnamon and have been drinking (homemade, from individual bulk herbs) tea with licorice root in it.  Thanks!

Is it not ok to have skullcap, cinnamon or licorice root?  I was under the impression that herbs were ok!  I've been using cinnamon and have been drinking (homemade, from individual bulk herbs) tea with licorice root in it.  Thanks!

Herbs are fine - I think the yikes may be more related to the fact that a lot of people react badly to Liquorice root....

Archived