Day 26 - Clothes still fit the same. How could this be?

My family has taken on this challenge and have arrived at day 26.  I'm feeling fat and defeated.  All of my jeans still fit the same as when I began Whole30.  I'm not sure how it is possible that I can deprive my body of so much only to have nothing visible to show for it.  I know, I know.  This isn't about weight loss.  But lets face it... weight loss is a desired "side effect" for many who do this.  What could I be doing wrong?  My kiddos have both lost weight (I'm so proud of them!).  My husband says he feels like things might fit him a little better.  I'm still wearing tunics to cover my butt :angry: ... thank goodness they are in style.  :blink:  I'd like to be able to wear leggings with the tunic.  :rolleyes: Ugh...

I do have lupus, currently in remission and haven't experienced much in a long, long time in the way of a flare. I am not very excited about eliminating potatoes, tomatoes, peppers...everything about being paleo that I LOVE.  I bake... it's my calling and while I bake paleo goods, I'm not sure I could give that stuff up.  We are obviously not eating baked goods on Whole30, but I'd like to go back to being able to have that stuff occasionally. 

I feel great.  I'm full of energy and getting things done.  I haven't had time to exercise because we live on a farm and it's springtime...meaning a lot of manual labor.  Shouldn't this count for something or have I managed to derail myself by not working out?

One more thing.  My husband has fallen ill with the flu this week but my children and I have managed to escape it thus far.  He seems to think that this diet has messed with his immune system.  I was thinking that it would improve things. Could he be right?  Just curious.

Sorry this post was all over the place.  :P

" I'm not sure how it is possible that I can deprive my body of so much only to have nothing visible to show for it. I know, I know. This isn't about weight loss. But lets face it... weight loss is a desired "side effect" for many who do this."

'Deprive your body?' Where in the program does it say to deprive yourself? This is a nutritional reset program designed to realign your relationship with food, help identify foods that are causing ill effects, and heal the body.

Deprivation? Methinks you're too focused on the "side effect" and missed the real goal here.

First off, it's a positive that you feel great and have lots of energy.

On the clothes fitting the same, you still have 6 days. There could be a whole host of things working for or against you.

Your deprivation comment makes me wonder whether you're eating enough. Can you post 2-3 days worth of your food, including portion sizes, daily beverage consumption, and nightly hours of sleep?

I didn't lose any weight during my first Whole30 either, and it was incredibly discouraging, even though I had told myself I wasn't in it just for weight loss. I don't know about you, but I had a lifetime of bad eating habits to overcome. I think I should have committed to a Whole60 to give my body time to adjust to the healthy nutrition it was getting. In hindsight, I can also see that I personally did far to many "banana with cashew butter" snacks.

I get your frustration though! It was hard enough coming to the boards and seeing many other people losing a lot of weight - if my only family had been losing weight in front of me, I'm sure that would have made it even harder.

I really do wish I had stuck with the program longer and not thown in the towel with frustration over the lack of weight loss.I encourage you to consider extending, and also think about the non-scale victories you've gained.

I didn't lose any weight during my first Whole30 either, and it was incredibly discouraging, even though I had told myself I wasn't in it just for weight loss. I don't know about you, but I had a lifetime of bad eating habits to overcome. I think I should have committed to a Whole60 to give my body time to adjust to the healthy nutrition it was getting. In hindsight, I can also see that I personally did far to many "banana with cashew butter" snacks.

I get your frustration though! It was hard enough coming to the boards and seeing many other people losing a lot of weight - if my only family had been losing weight in front of me, I'm sure that would have made it even harder.

I really do wish I had stuck with the program longer and not thown in the towel with frustration over the lack of weight loss.I encourage you to consider extending, and also think about the non-scale victories you've gained.

I agree... there have been some positives.  I guess I was just hoping for more of the "visual variety... LOL  I think my problem is grapes.  They are too easy to get to.  Especially when we run out of food for the week and there's nothing else readily available.  Also, I do eat nearly one banana a day.  These are things that I don't usually eat a lot of.  I'm thinking that it will be much easier to avoid those things when the Whole30 is up.  My plan is to stay sort of Whole30ish afterwards and also planning on revisiting the Whole30 again in about 6 months.  I'm starting to get burned out... you know how that is, I'm sure.  I'm on day 28.  Also, I almost never eat potatoes, but have been doing so on occasion while on Whole30... another thing that will be easily curbed once other things are reintroduced.  But I'm beginning to see the stumbling blocks, now that you mention it.  Thanks for the encouragement!

" I'm not sure how it is possible that I can deprive my body of so much only to have nothing visible to show for it. I know, I know. This isn't about weight loss. But lets face it... weight loss is a desired "side effect" for many who do this."

'Deprive your body?' Where in the program does it say to deprive yourself? This is a nutritional reset program designed to realign your relationship with food, help identify foods that are causing ill effects, and heal the body.

Deprivation? Methinks you're too focused on the "side effect" and missed the real goal her

Deprivation, in the physical sense...no, I agree.  This is good for my body.  I'm talking the psychological version of deprivation... as in depriving ones self of the things that one used to be consume.  The real goal is to change habits and the relationship with food, I get it.  I was simply hoping for some insight as to why I might be failing at the "visual" aspect of this whole thing.  I haven't been too focused on this until recently, when I noticed that everything fits the same.  Anyhow, thanks for the response!

First off, it's a positive that you feel great and have lots of energy.

On the clothes fitting the same, you still have 6 days. There could be a whole host of things working for or against you.

Your deprivation comment makes me wonder whether you're eating enough. Can you post 2-3 days worth of your food, including portion sizes, daily beverage consumption, and nightly hours of sleep?

Lately, I've been burned out and missing lunch... maybe you are right.  Thanks for the insight!

Focus on what you can eat, not what you can't. You really have to make permanent changes. If you continue to eat the way you used to, will it help you lose weight. Do we really need baked goods very often. I have something once a month and that's it. It sometimes takes longer when you have health problems. Mine weren't helped the most until I did a W60. I have to be gluten free due to celiac so that hasn't been a problem. I just feel so much better with only a few off road sessions here and there that I don't want to go back. My weight loss has been slow but it also won't come back.

Focus on what you can eat, not what you can't. You really have to make permanent changes. If you continue to eat the way you used to, will it help you lose weight. Do we really need baked goods very often. I have something once a month and that's it. It sometimes takes longer when you have health problems. Mine weren't helped the most until I did a W60. I have to be gluten free due to celiac so that hasn't been a problem. I just feel so much better with only a few off road sessions here and there that I don't want to go back. My weight loss has been slow but it also won't come back.

We've been primal for, literally, years... so gluten/grain-free.  I was thinking that eliminating dairy would help because I love coffee with cream so much that I drink WAY too much of it.  Plus, I love cheese.  I've adapted to not eating dairy, but I'm planning on opening a paleo bakery, so I can't fully eliminate that stuff.  I honestly don't eat a lot of it, anyhow.  My weaknesses while primal were dark chocolate, dairy and nuts.  When we first started the whole30 (for about 2.5 weeks), I cooked for every meal.  I'm struggling with staying on top of everything because we live on a farm and it's spring... so lots of work.  At any rate, yes, I need to focus on what I can have.  I think I'm just a little bored with the heavy restrictions, which is probably normal at day 28.  As for the weight loss... in hindsight, I eat too many grapes and bananas.  I'm not buying those items for myself for awhile, as they are a stumbling block (I started eating the easily accessible stuff when cooking aversion kicked in... LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Hey AnaRobin!

Pardon me if I sound blunt, but it sounds to me like your battle is completely psychological and you just can't shake the attitude that the W30 is about "heavy restrictions" and "deprivation". I hear a lot of excuses, quite frankly. We all have our challenges...that's why we've sought out a program like this.

Why not focus on today, rather than what you did in the past (primal) or your plans for the future (opening a paleo bakery)?

I saw this adventure as an experiment. Like they say, N=1! I'm on day 28. I'm surrounded daily by baking and people eating my most favourite foods, and I have yet to feel tempted or deprived. I had my first dream last night that I slipped! What a relief when I woke up!

The Whole30 Daily message for day 28 is about the stages of change. I highly recommend subscribing to the Daily.

Is it possible that you just aren't ready to change...yet.

Archived