Sober Partying but still with the hangover??? Day 21

So I am 21 days into my whole30 and the last 4 days have been the hardest yet. Where previously I had almost no cravings or thoughts to quit, I have been riddled with these for days now. My first MAJOR social challenges happened to occur just after these cravings and thoughts began, so of course great timing!!!

Over the weekend I've hit a few struggles that I'm worried about. My social calendar has included a dress up party which included a beer pong tournament,a 30th birthday at a nightclub which included open bar and dancing and a 5km inflatable obstacle course fun-day. Each day I have woken up after with a terrible headache/hangover and even felt nauseous occasionally and am so confused because I stayed on plan at EVERY event? Any ideas as to why I'm suddenly struggling so much and feeling like crap each day now. 

*Note: My meal timing and amounts have been different than usual due to the busy period.

**Note: At the nightclub I drank water and lime, but on one occasion (when someone else got me a drink) they put lime cordial in it. I had a mouthful, realised and sent the drink back, but should i start again?

Thanks in advance xx

Sounds to me like you're not eating enoough.

Can you give us a run d own of what you've eaten over the past 3-4 days, giving specifics for portion sizes, veg types etc, along with water intake, hours of sleep, stress & activity levels?

That way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot.

With regards to the lime cordial I'm guessing it will have contained at least one type of sugar - have a read at >this article< and let us know what you decide to do...

This isn't my usual eating plan, but due to the business Ive been sticking to basics

Breakfast is pretty similar every day

3 whole eggs (scrambled or fried)

2 cups spinach

1 large mushroom

1/2 roasted beetroot

*all cooked using 1-2 tbsp coconut oil

1 black coffee/green tea

Day 19

Lunch

Approx 100-150g chicken breast

Tomato/cucumber/carrot/capsicum

2 cups rocket/baby kale

3-4 olives and 1 tbsp mayo

Snack

1 banana

1 boiled egg

(only had a snack on day19)

At Party:

Only celery and carrot sticks after 7pm (because i was misinformed about bbq and salad being provided - next time be prepared)

Next 2 days have been relatively similar for breakfast and lunch - haven't been as prepared so most have my veggies have been raw and low caloric veggies (less prep time)

Dinner day 20

1 boiled egg

banana

2 x steak skewers

Dinner day 21

Chicken sausage (home made) approx 100 g or steak 

1/2 zucchini

Spinach

1/2 cup frozen beans

Avocado or mayo

roasted sweet potato

Water intake - avg 2L (less than usual)

Sleep - 6 hrs (less than usual)

I workout regularly as well and have replaced my post workout snack of chicken patty and sweet potato with a banana this weekend due to lack of time.

I can see now the eating isn't anywhere near as good as it usually is, but Ive never had a drop in my intake have this type of affect on me before.

Yeah, there are a couple of things at play here:

Not enough food in general

Not enough sleep

Not enough water

Switching from protein post WO to fruit

Your breakfast doesn't look too bad, but you're counting 3-4 olives at lunch? Just add a heaping handful and be done with it!

Your dinner on days 19 & 20 are particularly lacking in fat. Fat provides that nice slow sustained energy,and is necessary for brain health - often when people are suffering from headaches they find that adding more fat to their meals really helps.

Go back to template (and switch back to protein postWO), increase fat intake & water, try to get a better hold on your sleep (sleep is key in general health) and see how you go.

Thank you, I think I was just so caught up with trying to make sure I wasn't eating or drinking anything off plan that I completely forgot the most important part of staying on the plan - the meal template! Even though I kept my willpower, after talking with you I feel it is very likely that this crappy feeling is because I wasn't sticking to the meal template in the later parts of the day. I'm going to take a breathe, reset and make sure I'm organised again for the next week, hopefully that bumps me back to feeling good again. 

• Moderators

When I stay up later than usual, especially in an environment in which I may be dancing, even when I'm not drinking alcohol, I can wake up the next morning feeling like a have a hangover--and it's really dehydration! Sipping on a club soda isn't enough. The extra hours of wake time, movement, energy expenditure mean guzzle the water.

And everything jmcbn and praxis said.

You're doing great! Keep going with a few little tweaks and you'll be golden!

Archived