Starting my first Whole30 today!

beckerj88

Emma - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm lucky so far that I haven't had a lot to complain about. Things have been pretty smooth. The shepherd's pie recipe is from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed. You can buy the PDF on her website for 9.99, there are a lot of really good recipes in there. Her recipe for cauliflower mash is also really good! Is this your first Whole30?

Madness - Congrats on starting! Aside from the sleep and muscle cramps how has it been? I love the idea of doing a fried egg on top of the garlicky greens. I was going to make some hollandaise sauce on Friday to put atop some asparagus. I've been experimenting with some different dips. I pretty much hated carrots until starting this but I've been eating a lot of them so I think I'm going to buy some baby carrots and make some kind of dip to try and use for snacks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Slept really well last night. Probably the best night of sleep I've gotten since starting my Whole30. I think after getting into bed I fell asleep within 10 min or so which usually never happens! 

M1: mix of poblano and jalapeño peppers sautéed with red onion, mushrooms, and avocado oil and 3 eggs. Topped off with salsa and a little guac. I got really really full from this. I actually couldn't even finish it. I can tell that I am definitely getting better and reason my body's symbols about when I am full. I think the biggest change has also been sitting down to eat at a table with no TV or any other distractions and being mindful of my eating.

M2: Leftover shepherd's pie. Did I mention that I'm in love with this stuff?  I was definitely hungry when I ate at 12:20. I did have a light workout this morning in my fitness class.

S1: Smoked salmon w/garlic aioli and pistachios

After eating my snack my stomach felt a little unsettled. I felt really bloated and gassy. I think it may have been from the pistachios? Has anyone else had problems with them? 

M3: Leftover shepherd's pie. My stomach was still feeling a little unsettled and I didn't feel like cooking a meal so I decided to have leftovers again!

Congrats on the good night sleep!  And on your mindful eating and the results.  I haven't even attempted to do that.  I'm a total sit on computer or with a book eater.  Not the best.  Perhaps I'll give that a shot.

My family and I did a Whole30 about two years ago and it was great - a real eye opener for me health wise and positive for the entire family.  We learned how to cook and about foods and well, all that stuff one learns about.  I did a few other Whole30's or I started some - I don't really recall.  Overall, we ate pretty clean for quite a while with some slippery slopes and some tightening up, but the last six months or so, I just fell apart and we have crap food back in our house and we were eating processed things - it's so much cheaper and easier!  And my weight and health and mindset were all impacted negatively.  So, I'm back and cleaning up my act and the family is now eating better and it feels good.  We've still got lots to learn in order to maintain a clean way of living, but I guess part of it is just starting again.

We have the Well Fed books and I've seen the Shepherd's Pie recipe, but don't think we've ever made it.  Maybe I will.  I need to try some new things.  We made a lot of recipe out of Practical Paleo because the seasonings or photos seemed to jive really well with out kids.

Hope your sleep is just as good this evening!

• Slept okay last night. Woke up a few times. I did fall asleep pretty quickly though. I'm still not waking up with tons of energy but once I get moving around I wake up more

M1: three scrambled eggs with onion, mixed peppers, topped with salsa and guac. I'm getting very full from this. I was able to finish it today because i think without the mushrooms it was less dense but I may need to cut back and egg because it's filling!

M2: no surprise I had leftover shepherd's pie! I love this recipe. I'm sad that I only have 1 more days worth :( 

At about 3:30 I got really tired so I took a nap. I've been trying to cut out caffeine and I didn't have any today and had just a little bit yesterday so that could be why I'm sleepy. Or the fact that I didn't sleep as well last night

M3: today is my birthday so we whipped up a fancy pants meal. Sesame ginger rubbed halibut steak, sesame ginger rubbed chicken kabob, cauliflower mash, and roasted cumin nutmeg carrots. It was delicious. I am super full but all of the food we made was so good! 

Not going to lie yesterday when we were shopping for food for tonight I was craving Mexican food or just anything with cheese on it. I know that during this time cravings are normal, yesterday was really the first time it hit me though. I was still craving stuff today but I'm so satisfied with what I made tonight!

I also had to go see the doctor today because I've been getting lightheaded and dizzy. They checked my blood pressure (I take meds for it) and it low which is why I was getting the dizzy spells and whatnot. He said I should cut my dose in half and that that should help. Also to keep monitoring my BP and if it keeps getting low I should stop taking it! WHOHOOO I'm only on day 11 and that's a huge NSV. Speaking of scales I closed my eyes when they were weighing me so I wouldn't see what it said haha

Congrats on the lower blood pressure! That is great! I started my first whole30 on April 1 so I am just a couple of days ahead. I did not start a log but have really enjoyed reading how other people have succeeded. Keep up the great work!

Happy birthday!!! And congrats on the blood pressure! My husband went to the doc yesterday and he lamented he gained weight. I told him with a very serious face that he was going to have to start all over because he weighed himself. He was totally un-amused. :P

I think my sleep issues are now more to do with caffeine and I've cut that out today too!

Oh, and you've inspired me! I used to be very physically active (worked as a farmer) but now that I have a desk job again, that certainly led to weight gain. The iphone has a built in pedometer so I tried really hard to "wear" my phone at all times yesterday. I frequently left it at my desk while moving around my building and forgot it when I went to a neighbor's, but I did keep it on most of the time. So without trying to get steps in - just doing my normal routine - I got 9,000! I'll see where that goes when I can manage to keep it on me all the time. My mom has a fitbit she says I can have and I'll try to grab that this weekend. That will be easier!

Emma - Thank you!

Madness - that's great about the steps! I'm using a Fitbit and I love it. I don't always have my phone on me but my Fitbit just straps on my wrist so it's really convenient. That's funny about your husband. I though about peeking but I knew if I hadn't lost any weight I would be discouraged. How's the no caffeine going?

* Slept really well last night. Woke up before my alarm went off and didn’t feel groggy or anything!

* M1: 3 scrambled eggs with mixed peppers and onions topped with salsa and guac. I woke up HUNGRY this morning. I think my breakfast was just the right size because I felt full but not overly full. I also had a cup of coffee this morning

* M2: Ate around 1pm. Was starting to get hungry, but not too too hungry. I had the last bit of shepherd’s pie for lunch. Don’t worry I got stuff to make it again for next week :)

* Energy dipped a little around 4, but it was a really slow day at work so I think it was mostly because there wasn't anything to do

* M3: grilled bone-in pork chop with roasted sweet potatoes and homemade garlic aioli. I overcooked the pork chop so it was a bit tough and dry but filling nonetheless. Tomorrow and Sunday are my two really early days so we'll see how I sleep tonight!

* I slept pretty well last night. I think I only woke up once. My alarm was set for 545 and I woke up right away. I didn’t really feel groggy or overly tired this morning which is nice.

* M1: 3 eggs scrambled with onions and peppers. Cooked in avocado oil, and topped with guac and salsa. Had a cup of green tea as well.

* I forgot to mention I had a weird food craving dream last night. I’ve read that that is common around the timeframe that I am in currently. It was strange though because I woke up feeling guilty like I had eaten something wrong. The weird thing is the food that I ate in the dream was fried chicken that was covered in ranch dressing. I don’t even like ranch dressing or fried chicken really haha!

* M2: Spring Mix salad with chicken breast, 2 hardboiled eggs, and balsamic and olive oil dressing. This salad was really good, and really filling. I used some of the leftover chicken I had from earlier in the week and it was super tasty. I’ve never really be a big fan of balsamic and olive oil but I’m really starting to like it!

* S1: had some slices of prosciutto before going to a baseball game because I knew I wouldn't be eating until late

* M3: slow cooker whole chicken with cooked carrots. I ate late because of going to the game so I'm glad I had that snack because I wouldn't of made it through the game.

* Energy was pretty good today. Didn't really hit a slump today

I had a food craving dream very early on. Maybe day 4? I ate ALL sorts of crazy food, couldn't even remember what it was when I woke up. But I felt so weird the next morning. I was in a weird haze and thought I would have to start over because I had cheated!

* Slept pretty well. My alarm was set for 5:45, but I woke up at 5:30. I was a little tired when I woke up, but once I got moving around I felt pretty energetic. No more weird craving dreams last night :)

* M1: 4 scrambled eggs cooked in ghee with some slices of prosciutto. I’ve run out of produce to cook with my eggs in the morning so that’s why it was just the eggs and meat. Not an ideal meal per the meal template but it will have to do. Also topped eggs with salsa, and brought a banana to work to eat. Had 1 8oz cup of coffee.

* M2: Spring mix salad with leftover chicken, 2 hardboiled eggs, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This salad was so good! I think tomorrow I’m going to add some shaved carrots, and sliced radishes for some more veggie diversity :)

* Didn't really have a slump today which is good! I feel like my energy is really improving all around.

* M3: braised buffalo shoulder with carrots and asparagus. I attempted to make a hollandaise but it didn't really come together. It was mostly just a buttery sauce, but I did eat the asparagus! It wasn't as bad tasting as I remember so maybe that's a sign that my taste buds are changing!

* Slept really well last night. I don't think I woke up at all during the night. I did wake up at 6 because I had to pee and once I got back into bed I couldn't fall back asleep. I did feel well rested though!

* M1: 3 scrambled eggs, topped with salsa, and served with prosciutto, and a banana and a cup of coffee. I had my work out this morning so I ate fairly light.

* My workout class is becoming easier! What I'm most impressed by is my ability to jog without getting tired immediately. That's something that's never really happened to me before and I'm really loving it! I think running is also improving my mood. Well I suppose it's a combination of running and eating so well :)

* M2: spring mix salad with sliced apple, and chicken breast tossed in a balsamic and olive oil dressing. I had wanted to use radishes but the ones I had in the fridge had gone bad so I decided to use an apple instead. It was a bit weird but provided a good crunch. I made a really big salad because I was starving, but I couldn't finish it.

* I also started to feel weak right before lunch and then shortly after lunch as well. I think I'm not eating enough on the days that I am working out? I need to be eating something post workout for sure because I'm realizing my body needs the energy

* S1: definitely need to eat more on workout days. I started getting hungry around 4pm so I had a handful of almonds to hold me over until dinner

* M3: shepherd's pie. I made it with lamb meat this time instead of beef. It tastes good but not as good as the other one tasted! Also, I feel kind of bloated. I'm wondering if this is possibly due to the almonds I ate. I've never had a problem with nuts before but the past two times I've had nuts I've gotten bloated. Has anyone else experienced this before? Any idea why nuts would do that?

All nuts have the potential to cause indigestion! Cooking them helps but it might not be enough for you. If the pistachios were roasted, you may just need to hold off on the nuts for now. If they were raw, you should try cooked/roasted and see. If all nuts give you trouble, you may have issues with legumes as well because they are also high in phytates. Sounds like you may be close to figuring out a sensitivity!

* Sleep was pretty good last night. Woke up right away when my alarm went off. The weather has been pretty bad lately and it has stirred up a lot of pollen so I had a bit of an ear ache and sore throat when I woke up. I stopped taking my daily allergy medicine on day 3 of the Whole30 and haven't really had any problems until now. I took some alieve and that seems to have done the trick.

* M1: 4 scrambled eggs, prosciutto, topped with salsa and a banana. I got some peppers and onions that I will chop up tonight to start having with breakfast again :)

* Also I was definitely bloated from eating the raw almonds last night. When I went to put on my jeans this morning they were a bit tight around the waist. Last week when I wore them they fit just right. I know this is normal so I'm not worried about it, just an interesting observation!

* M2:Spring mix salad with chicken breast, 2 hard boiled eggs, topped with balsamic and olive oil dressing. I also had half a banana. I've been super busy today with school work so I didn't get to eat until a little bit later. I was really hungry when I ate, but my meal was filling.

* M3: no fuss salmon cakes. Tried to make a mayo with it but wasn't getting an emulsification so I made a big batch of guac and had it with that. I ate late (still doing schoolwork) so I was again pretty hungry and ate 4 cakes.

So, I recall the other night you had braised buffalo with asparagus and that got me thinking that your meals are sounding pretty darn delicious and mine are sounding pretty darn hum drum so today I picked up asparagus and cooked it up with ghee, garlic, and salt and it was delicious.  Thank you!

The bloating thing is the pits isn't it.  I've been really bloated and out of sorts as well.  It will be nice when this part is in the past.

Have you tried making mayo using an immersion blender?  It's super, super easy and it always emulsifies exactly right.  If you google paleo mayo immersion blender there are lots of videos and posts about it.  Here is one:  http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/

I gave up on all things mayo till I realized I had an immersion blender that I bought a decade ago and had never used.

Congrats on another good day!

The buffalo was really good! I saw that you made some moose as well. How was that?

Bloating definitely sucks. Luckily that passed, but I have had some other digestive issues but I think it's mostly related to stress I've been under the past few days with school work.

I did make my mayo with an immersion blender. The first time I did it it worked great! For some reason it wasn't happening last night though. I think maybe it had something to do with the egg not being warm enough. The first time I did it I left the egg out for about 2 hours. I was pressed for time this time and tried the putting it in hot water for 10 min. It felt warm but I guess maybe it wasn't warm enough?

Thanks for the encouragement! I enjoy reading your blog as well. I just got caught up on the last few days and it was a great reminder that I need to meditate more because I haven't the past few days and that certainly hasn't helped with my stress levels!

* Slept okay last night not great. I think that is largely in part because I've just been so stressed out with school work. I won't get much reprieve until after tomorrow so for now I'll just have to deal with it and grind it out.

* M1: 3 scrambled eggs, topped with guac and salsa. 2 salmon cakes.

* So I'm noticing today what stress does to your body. I think I was someone oblivious to it prior to doing this because I guess I was always just feeling out of sorts from my eating choices. I've been under a lot of stress today and it's been causing my stomach to be really unsettled. Interesting observation that I wasn't expecting to uncover during this process. A good reminder to also take time to practice mindfulness and take breaks to reduce stress.

* M2: shepherd's pie and a banana. I wasn't super hungry but I knew that I needed to eat something.

* M3: shepherd's pie again. The good news is I finished my big term paper so tomorrow I can start to have some diversity in my meals again :)

* Also, I need to be sure to not only eat well but also remember to try to reduce stress because today was no fun. The positive takeaway is that I didn't stress eat which is a HUGE improvement for me

What a lot of talk about stress - good for me to be reading because I'm more stressed today and I'm not separating myself from it.  Weird about the immersion blender.  I've never warmed up my eggs.  Once mine didn't work and I think it was because I didn't keep my blender square on the bottom of the jar.  I was going to make some today, but never did since I found some pesto in the fridge and I loooove pesto.  Congratulations on not stress eating.  That is a big deal.

* Slept okay last night. I had a hard time getting to sleep. Again I think this was probably stress related!

* M1: 3 scrambled eggs, carrots, guac, and salsa. I also attempted to have the left over buffalo but it got really dried out when I heated it up.

* M2: shepherd's pie. I wasn't super hungry when I ate but I knew that that was my only window to eat. Was full afterwards.

* S1: some chicken salad made with garlic aioli and mustard. My stomach kind of hurt afterwards. Not sure what in the food would have caused that. Maybe the mustard?

* Something in the chicken salad I had definitely didn't sit right with my stomach. I felt cramped and bloated. I used a different mustard than I usually use so that's what I'm thinking is the culprit. It has mustard bran in it which is the hull of the shell. Perhaps it has pytates in it? If so, it's definitive proof that pytates upset my stomach because this was the 3rd time it has happened

* M3: sloppy joes served over zoodles. My stomach was stilling blah so I didn't eat too much but I'm definitely full!

Archived