Medical Need for Stevia?

There is a discussion in a group I am apart of and the poster stated a doctor recommended the program to her (YAY!). She states that he told her she can use protein shakes (which I understand and is acceptable given her medical need) but she also states he told her that using stevia is fine. She uses it in her coffee and says she can't give up coffee as last time that ended with her having to go to the ER. I understand that doctors orders trump compliance but where is that line drawn. I don't agree with continuing to use stevia. Just wanted to see some other opinions on this. 

No sugar or sugar substitute is ok.

Is her Dr completely familiar with the program??

And is she just saying that her Dr says it's okay because she doesn't want to do without it?

I'd like to hear his medical reason for including it.........

Also, just out of interest, what kind of shakes is she taking?

The medical reason when asked was that her doctor doesn't want her to give up coffee because with one of her medical conditions withdrawing or stopping could send her to the ER. Doesn't make sense to me personally since you can have coffee without it. Just wanted to her an official opinion on when doctors orders are not supreme.

I'm not sure how familiar the doctor is with the program, all I know is its a neuropath that suggested the program to her. 
She is in the planning stages still so not sure what shakes she is going to use but I have told her to make sure it is a complaint one and offered other suggestions to try to get her not to use them. 

• Moderators

I'm in a similar situation in that my functional medicine doc has prescribed a whey protein supplement, one variation of which includes stevia. However, just because she says it's a good idea for me to use it doesn't mean it's "medically necessary" for me. Unlike the supplements from her I use to support my liver and my thyroid, for example, I see the whey as optional, and she's cool with it. When I'm not doing a W30 I do use and enjoy it because it works for my body, my context. However, I cut it altogether periodically--for W30 restarts and just because we know that consuming the same thing day after day can lead to intolerances and other problems. (I even cut coffee now and again for the same reason.)

I suggest she talk to the doctor about it and make the best, most informed decision for herself. Yes, we say doctor's orders trump W30, but she won't be doing a W30 if she uses the shakes and in doing so she won't receive all the benefits the program is designed to have. The point is to shift to eating real, whole foods, and cut all sugar and sugar substitutes. No matter what is in the shakes, they fail on both fronts.

A recent study published in the scientific journal, Diabetes, suggested that protein, specifically prolonged consumption of whey protein,  spikes insulin levels. This implied that whey protein could lead to insulin resistance, a common predecessor of type 2 diabetes.

I used to make protein powder shakes every single day.  When I stopped, best thing I did for T2.

A recent study entitled “Protein Ingestion Induces Muscle Insulin Resistance Independent of Leucine-Mediated mTOR Activation” by Gordon Smith, et al. was published in the May 2015 edition of Diabetes, a journal of the American Diabetes Association. In this article the authors administered either whey protein dosed at 0.6g/kg of fat free mass or the amount of free form L-leucine found in the equivalent dose of whey protein.

Researchers found that both leucine and whey protein increased the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) by 30% over baseline; mTOR is responsible for muscle protein synthesis. Furthermore, Smith, et al. found that whey protein decreased the “rate of glucose uptake from the blood by peripheral tissues, such as skeletal muscle” by ~25%, whereas free form L-leucine did not induce muscle insulin resistance.

“Too Much Whey Today, Type II Diabetes Tomorrow – Human Study: Whey Reduces Muscular Glucose Uptake by 25% – SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone.”SuppVersity – Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 July 2015.

In short, whey protein causes insulin resistance, a trait that typically leads to the development of Type 2 Diabetes.

For me, getting rid of shakes was a huge part of my health recovery. I'm pretty sure whey shakes (before Whole30) contributed heavily to my leaky gut.

But it can also depend on what baseline you're starting from. If solids are a problem, compliant soups are a shake alternative (along with a good blender).

If she really can't drink her coffee black (if it's medically required, you don't really need to enjoy it, just drink it - Stevia isn't medically required if it's for taste), she could add a tiny bit of date but I would really discourage that on Whole30 as it messes with your tastebuds and dates are high in fructose (worse for a lot of people) and many people consume coffee without a meal so it's almost always re-enforcing bad habits and messing with template eating (setting you up for poor results).

Coconut milk adds enough sweetness for me (really, it cuts the bitter). Cold brew coffee (don't need to drink it cold) is also *much* less bitter (so is buying different coffee).

If she needs more help finding a palatable compliant coffee, this we can help with :)

It's not the coffee her doctor wants her to have but the caffeine. Withdrawal can produce an increase in blood pressure and heart rate as well as hallucination similar to alcohol withdrawal  (DT's). I've seen it. She might want to have a talk with her doctor and change from coffee to caffeine pills.

• 2 weeks later...

I have low magnesium numbers and my functional doctor put me on a magnesium supplement. While I am on  the Lyme protocol and mold protocol, they ask you to go off all sugar, among other things. I am doing my second Whole30 because the first time around I ate eggs and later found out that I have an egg allergy.

Anyway to my point, I noticed that my magnesium powder has STEVIA in it!!!!

I placed a call into my lyme doctor and my functional doctor.  I know stevia is not whole30 compliant but my question: Is that magnesium supplement the only one for me? and will it mess with my Lyme protocol? If doctor's orders state that is the best way I can absorb magnesium, can I still be considered active on Whole30?

I thought I would throw it out there on this forum.

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

I have low magnesium numbers and my functional doctor put me on a magnesium supplement. While I am on  the Lyme protocol and mold protocol, they ask you to go off all sugar, among other things. I am doing my second Whole30 because the first time around I ate eggs and later found out that I have an egg allergy.

Anyway to my point, I noticed that my magnesium powder has STEVIA in it!!!!

I placed a call into my lyme doctor and my functional doctor.  I know stevia is not whole30 compliant but my question: Is that magnesium supplement the only one for me? and will it mess with my Lyme protocol? If doctor's orders state that is the best way I can absorb magnesium, can I still be considered active on Whole30?

I thought I would throw it out there on this forum.

Thanks,

I know this is months late, but in case someone else reads this, I also have lyme and have just started whole30 (day 2) so was looking for lyme related advice. Saw this post re magnesium and wanted to say that you can get way better magnesium absorption through either epsom salt baths (best option- 2-3 cups in hot water for 20 min) or using a good magnesium cream (you can find on amazon) than thru a dietary supplement. Hope you are feeling awesome by now. :-)

Archived