Clogged ducts

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.  I'm on my third child, started Whole30 while nursing my second (but he was 20 months old at the time).  This time I ventured off while pregnant with baby #3 but then started back on Whole30 right after delivery, so I've been eating this way quite a while.  My little one is now 17 months and I have had the most problems with nursing this go around... in the form of clogged ducts.  I'm on my fourth right now and had two bouts of mastitis a few months back.  I've seen a lactation consultant several times and talked with my pediatrician and OB to make sure this isn't a latch issue or another anatomical problem, but they all say he looks perfect.

I can't help but wonder if the clogged ducts are a result of more fat in my diet making my milk thicker and creamier?  Anyone else noticed this?  Of course it could just be an anomaly and something about the way my son is nursing is making us prone to these problems this go around, but since Whole30 is one of the variable with this kiddo over my others, I thought I would ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm nursing my third child who is nearly 19 months old. I experienced clogged milk ducts with her and her sister, my second child. (I wasn't able to nurse my oldest as long as my younger two.) Sometimes, as a nursing mom, our breasts can become tender during breastfeeding. My make have me a lot of info this time, I wish I had a midwife with each one. Anyway, try changing babies protein. If you predominantly use a cradle hold, try the football, laying down with baby to nurse, or even having the baby be in a nearly seated position. During a feeding, you want to angle the babies nose toward the clogged duct. After you've established a good latch, begin massaging your breast with a very gentle pressure, barely any is usually a good place to start. Massage beginning close to the chest and gently bring your fingers down the length of your breast, stopping before reaching babies mouth. This week help to signal the breast to release the built up pressure. Sometimes, I have pillows on one side of me while I'm sitting and across my lap. I put my boppy over the leg nature the pillows and angle it around the side. When I position baby, she is in a nearly seated position with her feet pointing towards the couch. Whatever position you use, just make sure that your baby's nose is pointed towards the clogged duct.

Additionally, you could try warm compresses along with massage. You could also stand in a very warm shower and let the water hit your back. Manually express some milk, not much, in the shower while massaging in the same manner as you would when little one is nursing. I hope this helps.

Archived