No appetite for protein

I am on day 17 of my whole30. My problem is that I have absolutely no desire to eat protein. I obviously do eat it, eggs are my best meal. However, I feel as though I am struggling with some runs and workouts. I have been having 1-2 snacks between meals (this is partly due to my work schedule. Today, I took a closer look at the meal template so I can try to do a better job of following that. My problem is how to eat more protein? It doesn't matter how hungry I am, it sounds like the worst thing to eat and then I just don't want to eat anything. Tonight, I am currently sitting with a bowl of protein salad in front of me. I cut the recipe in 1/2, so I have only 1 serving in front of me and it looks like so much. I don't even know how I would eat it all.

Meals today:

3am (I work 12hr overnights): chicken sausage, sauerkraut, green beans, banana

8am (after work, I was not going to eat because I was going to bed, but was starving and knew I had to or else my sleep would suffer): 3 eggs, 1.5 oz chorizo

pre workout: few bites of deli turkey

40min run (4.5 miles)  <---- this actually felt good today, but my long run on Sunday left me feeling out of it and low energy

post workout: 1/2 chicken breast, 3-4 carrots

my supper now: tuna protein salad (whole30 recipe) with celery and apple mixed in, roasted butternut squash

Thanks for any and all input.

It looks like you're getting in enough protein to me, but maybe not so much in the way of fat - you have none listed at breakfast, I'd discount what is in the eggs you had after work, & there's none in your preWO.

What fat source was there in your protein salad?

There were also no veg in the meal you ate after work...

And I'm guessing that you'll only just have hot the fat adapted stage which is why your long run on Saturday might have felt so tough.

How are you doing with water?

Could you give us a few more days meals so we can take a better look & maybe suggest some tweaks?

My protein salad had the whole30 basic mayo in it. I did not think I had to have fat with my pre workout based on the meal template? I don't usually do a preworkout meal/snack, just started that yesterday. Water I think is enough, but could probably be more.

Ok so starting with the end of last week:

Thursday:

3am: chicken sausage, whole30 ketchup, carrots, snap peas, celery with almond butter, apple

3pm (after sleeping): pear, cashews

30 minute HIIT resistance workout

6pm: eggs with tomatoes, roasted sweet potato

Friday:

3am: salad greens with berries, raspberry vinaigrette, avocado, chicken sausage

2pm: larabar

30 minute HIIT resistance workout

7pm: 2 eggs with diced veggies, couple bites of pineapple

9:30pm: egg white protein, banana, almond butter ---> shake

(switch to day schedule since I have a couple days off)

Saturday:

breakfast: chorizo, eggs, sauteed spincach, zucchini, onion, banana

ran 3 miles followed by 30min HIIT resistance workout

3pm (starving): 1/2 handful cashews, small banana

4pm: banana, egg white protein, almond butter shake

7pm: prime rib, baked potato, mix of pineapple, banana

10pm: larabar

Sunday:

breakfast: 2 eggs, can of green beans, 1/2 cup pineapple and banana

9 mile run (80 minutes)

post run: banana

5pm: burger patty, potatoes (baked with olive oil)

11pm: 3/4 c. berries, almond butter

stayed up late d/t switching back to night schedule

Monday:

breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed spinach, zucchini and onion, 3 pieces bacon, 4oz orange juice

supper: 1/2 chicken breast, broccoli and cauliflower, apple

10pm @ work: handful cashews, 2 eggs, small amount olives

midnight: larabar

no workout this day because of how sore and wore out Sunday's run made me feel

Tuesday:

3am: chicken sausage, 3 turkey meatballs (less than 3oz), whole30 ketchup, mixed veggies, berries, almond butter

8am (after work): 2 eggs, 2 bacon, small glass oj

30 min HIIT workout

6pm (before work): coconut curry shrimp with cauliflower rice, strawberries

11pm: larabar, epicbar

Yeah, preWO we recommend protein & fat, postWO we recommend a lean protein & starchy carb - no fruit pre or post as pre it will give your body an immediate source of fuel when you want your body to learn to tap into it's fat stores, and none after as it will replace liver glycgen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen. No fat in your postWO meal as this will slwo down absorption of the nutrients to your muscles.

From what I can see your pre & postWO meals don't follow those recommednations and won't be helping either your training OR your recovery.

You're also eating quite a bit of fruit in general - we'd recommend 1-2 fist sized servings per day, and these should be eaten with, or as part of your meals - any more and you'll prop up your sugar cravings, and when eaten alone they can negatively impact blood sugar levels causing cravings, lack of energy lack of focus, faux hunger etc. OJ or any type of fruit juice for that matter is fine for adding to recipes (or a small splash to flavour plain water), but should not be taken as a drink. Your shake is also hugely discouraged...

Some of your meals really don't look too bad, and where they ARE to template there also looks to be enough protein. A lot look kind of snacky though, and that's where you're lacking, and the bars - well they're not even food. I really think you'd fare better, feel better, and get better results if you stuck to the template. Not eating when you've no appetite is counter-productive - you need to eat to feel better. Plate up those template meals and eat as much from them as you can, then wrap up what's left to eat as soon as you feel able - your appetite will soon increase.

Regarding water you should be aiming for a half an ounce per pound of body weight daily.

You might also want to consider adding in a magnesium supplement if you're not already doing so - with your shift work it might help with sleep.

>The Meal Template<

No I definitely don't get 8 hours of sleep at a time. Maybe once or twice a week I would say. I usually shoot for 7 but end up around 5-6 hours. Sleeping during the day is difficult for me and more recently sleeping during the night is rare.

Another question,

when I can only eat half of my plate and save the other half to eat later, does that second time count as a meal?

Thanks!!

No I definitely don't get 8 hours of sleep at a time. Maybe once or twice a week I would say. I usually shoot for 7 but end up around 5-6 hours. Sleeping during the day is difficult for me and more recently sleeping during the night is rare.

Another question,

when I can only eat half of my plate and save the other half to eat later, does that second time count as a meal?

Thanks!!

No, that counts as one template meal - don't save what's left for lunch - eat it AS SOON AS you feel able. Then if you need to do that again later, again that's one more meal.

Your lack of sleep is most likely playing havoc with your hormones and is something you really need to work on. If you can get results there then your appetite should adjust accordingly.

Do you have a sleep routine? Have black out blinds etc? Most people drastically underestimate how much impact lack of sleep has on their health...

Archived