in the army and going to the field for 4 days with only a JetBoil... Help

Bluesunray7

Hi I'm new to the forum and about 2.5 weeks into the Whole30 and loving it but starting on day 29 I have to go to the field for a competition for 4 days where the army is only providing MREs to eat. So I have a JetBoil I can bring out but I have no idea what I will be able to pack and cook out there that is Whole30 compliant. I won't have a way to keep anything cold or fresh. Any ideas? I'm afraid I will have to cut my Whole30 short and start the reintroduction now so that I'm not completely sick in the field the whole time.

Can you pack tinned fish? pouches of olives? Some pre boiled eggs for the first day? Hardy veg like carrots & celery? Maybe some hardy fruit like apples? Pouches of nut butter? An avocado or two to scoop out of the skin?

It's a long shot, and I don;t know exactly what facilities you will have but it probably is do-able if you plan right.

In terms of cutting your W30 short, if you think it isn't  do-able to packing all compliant foods then I'd suggest carrying on until the event, doing what you have to do, then going back to W30 eating for maybe at least two weeks (depending on how off plan you've gone) & then starting the reintroduction process.

Hope this helps!

Thanks jmcbn!!! I'll be in a shack with no way to prepare anything so def apples, avocados and tuna packs def are good options at this point. I appreciate the ideas, it really helps!!!

My concern with not reintroducing food this next week is that if I carry out the whole30 up to the competition starting April 18, and then start eating any of the off-limits foods, esp a MRE, that I'll be sick to my stomach and feel like crap....

I've done paleo backpacking before. It might not be the most ideal Whole30 foods, but it might hold you over so you can do a proper reintroduction when you get back.

If you can get fresh eggs, you don't have to refrigerate them. With a jetboil, you can just hardboil them, or bring some lard (room temp ok) and make scrambled eggs. Jerky, pemmican, summer sausage. Don't need cooling, but check ingredients. You can get various canned meats that are compliant. Add some canned veggies to that and you have a meal.

It might be worth it to go with these less-than-perfect Whole30 foods and stick to it until the end.

Archived