1st post, Epic Bison bars?

I just signed up for the forum. I am on day 6 of my 1st Whole30. I love beef jerky, and have seen a few things that are compliant. I came across the Epic Bison bars. Some flavors seem to be compliant. I was wondering if anyone has tried these, or eat them regularly. Thanks!

• Moderators

I understand that. I should have worded my question a little differently. I am looking for folks that use these as their 'go to' emergency snacks. Wondering how they are. Thanks for the reply.

You would really need to taste it... some people say it tastes good but has the texture of carpet and others, like me, think it's like a lovely soft jerky...

I like them, but they are an odd texture. They're also expensive enough to keep me from buying them to consume on a regular basis, which is helpful. I mainly use them for traveling and rarely eat them otherwise.

My Whole Foods carries them; if you have one or another local source, you wouldn't have to commit to buying a whole box online.

The second ingredient listed on the EPIC Bison bar in my pantry that I've been avoiding is Uncured Bacon which, in the parenthetical describing the bacon, lists Brown Sugar as its second ingredient.  I would think that EPIC Bison bars wouldn't be Whole30 compliant.

Am I wrong about this?

• 1 month later...

The second ingredient listed on the EPIC Bison bar in my pantry that I've been avoiding is Uncured Bacon which, in the parenthetical describing the bacon, lists Brown Sugar as its second ingredient.  I would think that EPIC Bison bars wouldn't be Whole30 compliant.

Am I wrong about this?

I discovered this the hard way the other day, but not until I ate most of it and thought it tasted sort of sweet. Yep, Brown Sugar in the ingredients. Epic Bars should really be removed from Whole 30 Compliant list, because they are truly aren't. I'm not starting over it, but not considering it compliant any longer either. I make my own beef jerky in the oven now anyway. 

https://epicbar.com/bar-detail/1 

It's *just that one bar* that's non-compliant. Whole30 always recommends checking the ingredients before buying *anything*, even if you think it's compliant or you've bought it and it was compliant in the past. 

True...You're exactly right in that I should've checked the label. However, I also still feel that the page describes the brands as compliant. Check your labels and don't buy anything on Whole 30's "compliant" page as legit unless you do. 

I like Epic bars. I travel a lot for work (flying out of state every other week for 3-4 day trips) and keep a few in my bag in case my flight is delayed and I'm stuck eating dinner at the airport without a lot of compliant options (last night my flight was delayed and I didn't get home until 2 am but had a lunch bag in my carry on with vegetables and an Epic bar that served for dinner). The Bison one and the new Wild Boar bar are not compliant as they have brown sugar (at least where I am), but most of the other ones are. The chicken sriracha and the lamb and currant are both tasty, in my opinion. 

I bought a few Epic bars to keep on hand for "emergency" when I am not able to get ahold of whole food rather than tempting myself with other things that are easily available.  I had one in my purse for a few days and ended up needing it a couple of days ago, so I was glad it was there!  They are very good and I think I will continue to keep one available for situations where I can't get home to make a whole food meal or if I get stuck on a tarmac for 5 hours in a blizzard (oh, if that ever happens, I will not do well...)  I don't use these pre-packaged items regularly, but they do fit the bill when you have to get something to eat and there really isn't any other good option available!

• 1 month later...

I work on at a fire rescue station and keep the EPIC venison bars in my bag as well as some RXbars because sometimes we get calls nonstop and there is no chance to take a break and eat a real meal.  I am fairly new to Whole30 and because of this read a LOT about meal prep and did a lot of meal prep, unfortunately I can't always get back to the station fridge and we can't keep food on the ambulance (I stick a bar in my pocket at the beginning of the day).  Even though the bars all came from the same packs I still read each bars ingredients every time since I am so nervous about staying compliant!

Archived