accidentally ate something non-compliant

Hi Troubleshooting Angels,

I'm on day 14 and it's a struggle, but I'm committed to doing this thing.  My husband has been helping out with the cooking and has made a couple of things from the whole30 cookbook.  He made a roast chicken today, but after he mentioned he used chicken bouillon to coat the skin.  When I looked at the jar, it listed cane sugar as one of its ingredients. Oh no!!  I actually didn't eat any of the skin, but it was probably in the (very thin) gravy and in the potatoes and carrots it was cooked in.  Do I have to start over?  The idea of having 30 more days is really bumming me out. Help, please!

• Moderators

Thank you for the article, SugarCube.  I had been searching the website for something like it.  It was just what I  needed to make my decision.

What was your decision and the logic behind it out of curiosity?

I felt that it was very similar to the salad dressing example, so I'm going to count tomorrow as day 15 as it seems that the added sugar will not scientifically invalidate the "experiment."  However, I could see myself extending this to 45 days depending on how the next two weeks go.  My husband also feels REALLY bad--he was really trying to help--and was in a panic I'd have to start over. "It didn't occur to him that cane sugar would be in bouillon."  Hopefully some of this will rub off on him too.  It's a good lesson to me to ALWAYS ask how things are prepared if you are lucky enough to have someone feeding you.

Archived