Does anyone else feel nervous about fat?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Yankeefan, I so relate to what you're saying. After 30 years of avoiding fat like the plague whenever I'm trying to lose weight, it's really scary to be having so much of it. But we just have to trust that these people know what they're talking about. I guess we should ask ourselves, how's did our previous approach to fat work out for us? For me, it meant at least several days binging on every high fat thing I could get my hands on after a couple of weeks or a month of low- or non-fat eating and regaining all the weight I had lost.

Here, have some.  Fresh ghee I clarified from Contoocook Farm butter.    Its sooooo good! :D

In all seriousness, the ghee IS good enough to eat right out of the dish.   But do you think you could eat it all, with that spoon?    I sure couldn't.

The research in the 80s and 90s was not wrong.  There are lots of fats out there that are NOT good for you.   And fats + starchy carbs = 'food with no brakes' in just about everyone.  How many boxes of Mac and Cheese serve four people?   Kraft says one box serves 4.    Much like 1 pint of Ben and Jerrys seves 4.  

Who are these mythical 4 people that can share a single box of mac and cheese and a lone pint if ice cream?   I'd like to meat them someday :D

But good fats combined with protein and good carbs?   Thats a dietary win.    The big bonus?    Fat turns off the haaaangrys.   You will still want to eat, for sure.    But you'll have much fewer "dammit I'm starving!" moments 

20170408_133526-01.jpeg

Stop beating yourself up.  Just follow the rules.  It's not easy - I could kill for a Ben and Jerry's. But there is no limit to how much you can eat so why are you tracking it?  And why are you hungry?  If you're hungry; eat!  Personally I've found the easiest thing is to eat loads of fresh meat, vegetables (boiled and roast), salads with fish, eggs and a bit of fruit. It's boring but not complicated.  

Hi all,

I've struggled with this as well, especially in the first 2 weeks of the program (I am on Day 18).  The recommendations of mainstream medicine (my GP wants me to do a low fat diet because of my cholesterol levels) and a lifetime of trying to avoid fats and cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs, because you've been told it is bad for you, are very powerful. At the beginning of my W30 I didn't eat nearly enough fat, and got hungry as a consequence. I'm doing much better now, but still will keep reading the suggestions from the W30 veterans on this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not really that bad after all. Our body needs a balanced diet in order to attain a healthy body. This does not really mean not to consume fats anymore or cholesterol. In terms of the 3 eggs that you ate for breakfast, it really depends though if you have diabetes, high cholesterol or heart disease wherein you really need to limit eggs in your diet in order to prevent from any harm due to your health issues.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Ylona Brillantes said:

Its not really that bad after all. Our body needs a balanced diet in order to attain a healthy body. This does not really mean not to consume fats anymore or cholesterol. In terms of the 3 eggs that you ate for breakfast, it really depends though if you have diabetes, high cholesterol or heart disease wherein you really need to limit eggs in your diet in order to prevent from any harm due to your health issues.

Please don't post information that does not have backup to support your claims.  Dietary cholesterol does not impact blood cholesterol.  Eggs are not the demon they are made out to be.  

Archived