HedyF's Journey (April 11 was Day 1)

HedyF

Yesterday was Day 1 and it went very well .. the meals kept me full and did not have a desire to snack or eat something sweet until .... I saw my son eating a chocolate ice cream cone (I'm the only one in the family, right now, living this journey).  I immediately started to crave something sweet and went for the banana to satisfy it when I pointed out to myself that I was not hungry!  Also having read the timeline, I knew a craving would last only  3-5 minutes and I knew if I held out I could overcome my cravings. Success!

Today is Day 2 and so far so good.  As the timeline mentioned, I was expecting to have symptoms of being hung over but hasn't happened yet. However, getting more of a sweet craving than yesterday and I have been able to overcome it by brushing my teeth often and drinking lots of green tea.

Day 3:  

Okay halfway through the day, so far so good.  Feeling a little tired today, also a little weak (similar to how I felt in the past on a calorie restrictive diet...but thankfully no sugar low feeling), so I'm thinking maybe I need to eat more? .. I'm not hungry and feel like I'm already stuffing my face at each meal (trying to make each meal last until the next meal so I don't snack).  Started adding fruit and handful of almonds.  Seems to do the trick.  I know from reading the blog that you can't trust the hunger/no hunger signals from your body just yet.  Less cravings today, too and feel like my stomach bloat is down a little ...  could it happen this fast or just wishful thinking?  :)

I felt almost immediately better and less bloated, though now on day nine I'm feeling super bloated again - part of the process.

I eat hearty portions.  I wouldn't mind losing weight, but I'd much rather stick to the program (which ends up resulting in lost weight anyway).  In the past, I've noticed that my portion sizes naturally decreased over the weeks, but in the beginning, I too, eat a lot so that I won't be hungry before the next meal.  I also check that I'm following the template and surprisingly (even though I know it), I'll find that my meal was lacking something.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You're doing great!

I felt almost immediately better and less bloated, though now on day nine I'm feeling super bloated again - part of the process.

I eat hearty portions.  I wouldn't mind losing weight, but I'd much rather stick to the program (which ends up resulting in lost weight anyway).  In the past, I've noticed that my portion sizes naturally decreased over the weeks, but in the beginning, I too, eat a lot so that I won't be hungry before the next meal.  I also check that I'm following the template and surprisingly (even though I know it), I'll find that my meal was lacking something.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You're doing great!

Thanks so much for the feedback!  Will double check the template.

Day 4:

Woke up feeling more refreshed with good energy.  (I keep waiting for the other shoe to fall ... fatigue, constant cravings, etc .. so far, so good). Craving is down from yesterday.  I realize I should also be logging what I eat .. here goes:

Breakfast: 4 eggs (yes, that's how many I can hold in one hand) scrambled with cauliflower, yellow peppers, and spinach and handful of blueberries.

Lunch: Leftover Classic Chili (from Whole30 book .. and, so good) over bed of spinach and spaghetti squash

Dinner: Beef Brisket with sweet potatoes, carrots, and spinach.

Yeah ... end of a successful day!

I like your scrambled eggs recipe.  I think I'll try cauliflower with eggs, tomorrow.  Do you sauté them for a few minutes, or steam them, first?  

Hi NealinSF ... it depends on what I have left (I make sure I have cauliflower rice, steamed, and just cut up fresh).  For breakfast I fried the cauliflower rice to soften them up before adding eggs.

Yesterday was Day 5: 

Woke up a bit tired and feeling prickly, but not to the point of wanting to "kill" anyone.  Mood got better as day progressed. Cravings still down and overall enjoying eating the healthy foods. 

Breakfast: coffee, 4 eggs scrambled with spinach, sweet potato (craving this today)

Lunch: Leftover beef brisket on bed of spinach, cauliflower, and spaghetti squash

Snack: handful almonds (needed it before teaching a class late afternoon)

Dinner: fried salmon (used sauce recipe for halbut in the Whole30 book .. very nice) over bed of spinach, fresh cauliflower, and spaghetti squash, sweet potato

Green tea throughout the day.

Overall a very successful day.

Day 6:

Woke up this morning with headache otherwise feeling good.  Can't believe I'm almost a week in ... it wasn't too bad (still waiting for the other shoe to drop).

Day 6 Continued:

It's been a very good day. Good energy all day, did a little gardening, so nice to be outdoors enjoying the glorious weather. I just finished reading the It Starts With Food book and realize I should be classifying my meals as M1, etc.  It's such an informative book and now I totally understand my food cravings.  One thing I'm not 100% there yet on is the chapter on calcium.  I have 3 growing teenagers and we are constantly on them to drink their milk for their bones. I'm hesitant to have them stop drinking milk because the reality is they don't eat alot of vegetables.  I'll have to research and ponder this one.

So, here's my food log:

M1: 4 eggs scrambles with spinach, onions, and yellow peppers.

M2: Ground beef cooked with cumin and chili over spinach, spaghetti squash, and steamed cauliflower

M3: Steak with steamed butternut squash and cauliflower and apple

I'm beginning to really taste the sweetness in fruit .. so delicious.

The calcium for teenagers is a tough topic.  I've read a lot of different views on calcium intake.  One view, too much milk will ruin the absorption of calcium, so minimize milk. On the other hand, as you said, it's hard to get kids to consume pounds of broccoli.  Let me know what you conclude on this.  I'll have teenagers in 6 years.

Congrats on completing the first week! 

Whip up a batch of bone broth! It's so easy in the crockpot. Add some meat & veggies to make it a soup or I even have seen a recipe for putting it in a smoothie (haven't tried that one yet). If they'll eat spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles throw that in for a chicken noodle soup. Hey if college kids have been living on ramen for years maybe teens will eat soup right? Hope that helps and hope all is going well!

@newme2016: good advice and thanks for encouragement .. will definitely incorporate bone broth as much as I can with the family.  @NealinSF: I think I'm going to continue to be on them about drinking milk but also incorporate the Whole30 elements.

Day 7: 

Completed week 1 successfully.  There were bumps to overcome, but overall, I felt it was very doable (and enjoyable) ... I like the fact that I can eat until I feel full, then psychologically I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. I had consistent good energy overall but definitely needed a nap after lunch.  Took a nice long walk with my spouse (we live 2 blocks from the ocean) and it was a beautiful day. 

This weekend, I made a batch of ghee for the first time. OMG .. where have you been all my life?!  It makes food taste so delicious (family thinks you slaved over the stove!).

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled in ghee with spinach and steamed butternut squash on top.

Meal 2: leftover ground beef over spinach, shredded cabbage and cauliflower

Meal 3: hamburger over yellow peppers, tomatoes, and stir fried kale in ghee (so good!).

This was the first day I couldn't finish Meal 3, felt very satiated. Also noticing that I'm getting hungry with 4-5 hours after last meal and no desire for snack.

Day 8:

Woke up this morning feeling noticeably clear-headed and not too hungry. I think this week I will try to experiment with moderating down the volume of food and see how my body takes it.

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled with spinach (in ghee, of course), coffee

Day 8 continued:

Meal 2: leftover pork ribs over bed of shredded cauliflower and cabbage, and tomato

I'm finding I may need to eat more for Meal 2 because I need it to carry for up to 6 hours. Was feeling hungry and had to wait another 3 hours before I could eat, so had a handful of almonds and a banana.  Going forward, I may just have a mini meal.

Meal 3: Pork patties, sweet potato mash with onions (from Whole30 cookbook ... so delicious!), and cooked spinach.

Yay for another successful day!  

I'm wondering how long before some of the physical symptoms (i.e., allergies, eczema, etc) start to dissipate? 

Day 9:

Woke up feeling clear headed again and with noticeable uptick in energy.  Even more, I'm in a good mood! 

I used to think getting older (I'm in my 50's) meant general body aches and pains because I saw my parents have them when I was growing up, especially when they got up in the morning or from sitting.  I was getting them too.  I just noticed this morning that I got out of bed without any aches!  Could this be lasting? WOW ... fingers crossed!

Meal 1: Omelet of 4 eggs with shredded cabbage/cauliflower and leftover sweet potato mash (just love these!), 2 cups black coffee.  Trying to wait to drink my coffee with my meal, but, just can't do it .. it tastes so good (even black) first thing.  I'll work on this maybe next week.

Meal 2: 3 leftover sausage, leftover sweet potato mash, on bed of spinach/shredded carrots/cucumbers/tomato and sprinkling of watermelon.

My husband is not on program and he is feeling tired and a little cranky, whereas I'm feeling really great and upbeat ... wow what difference! Also, when I eat fruit, I can't tell if the fruit itself is very sweet or if my tastebuds have adjusted because there isn't a piece of fruit that I'm not finding super sweet.

Waking up with aches and pains - that's awesome!  And the comparison to your hubby is kinda funny too.  I've been comparing myself to mine and it is a night and day difference - even with all my griping and complaining :) 

Meal 3: Chicken Cacciatore (from Whole30 cookdbook) over bed of kale .. really tasty.

OMG .. I had so much energy all day! We went out on errands and finished trellising my pea plants, then went right to cooking dinner, etc, etc.  Still going strong!! Meanwhile, my husband is dying for a nap!  I hope this continues .. I'm really loving this new way of eating.

Day 10:

Felt really good this morning until about 4.5 hours after breakfast and I started to feel tired and weak. Got home soon after and able to eat lunch which made me feel so much better.  What happened to the body using up fat stores for energy between meals?  ... I've got so much stored energy to use!  :) Yesterday, I felt like superwoman, today feeling a little less than super energized and feeling really bloated.  Very interesting the varying changes the body goes through during this adjustment period. I will be staying strong counting the days when I am no longer dealing with the adjustment and just thoroughly enjoying the metamorphosis!

Food log so far:

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled over bed of spinach, shredded cabbage/carrots

Meal 2: leftover chicken cacciatore over spinach with shredded cauliflower and cabbage.

Thanks @MommaGem!

Day 11:

Waking up feeling good, again ... I'm liking this new feeling .. I hope it stays!  I'm also continuing to feel upbeat and positive mood-wise (and, boy can I see the difference between myself and the rest of my family!

Meal 1: 4 scrambled eggs with kale and shredded red cabbage 

Looking to try some of the sauce recipes in the Whole30 book to eat with all these eggs.

Meal 2: Leftover steak over bed of spinach, shredded cauliflower, roasted red peppers, 2 mandarin oranges

I'm noticing my body is definitely aware when it's time for the next meal .. sure enough, by 4.5 - 5 hours later, I start feeling a little weak.

Meal 3: roasted pork shoulder with butternut squash and spinach (from the Whole30 cookbook ... really tasty!).

Day 12:

Continuing to feel good with nice energy.

Meal 1: 4 eggs, broccoli, 2 cups coffee

Meal 2: leftover roasted pork and leftover shrimp over shredded cabbage/cauliflower, 1 banana 

Meal 3: More leftover pork with roasted red peppers, spinach, and half sweet potato, 3 mandarin orange.

Successful Day 12 and now onto Day 13:

Meal 1: 4 eggs with roasted red pepper, baby kale, and half sweet potato.

Meal 2: 4 hard boiled eggs chopped, spinach, cauliflower, tomato, and sugar snap peas.

Meal 3: cooked "Melissa's Chicken Hash" from cookbook.

Well, as expected, I'm starting to get the food boredom ... I knew it was coming and I know I have to start adding some sauces and doing some change up .. will be checking the recipe section of the forum for some ideas .. it would be nice to get different textures with the food.  I hadn't realized how much varying textures bread, chips, cookies, etc provide .. I think I'm missing the crunch more than the sugar and fat.

Overall, continuing to feel energized throughout the day; really loving that part! Still waiting for the clothes to feel looser .. I know that will come but would be nice if it came sooner than later. :)

Archived