Accidental Corn Consumption

I'm about a third of the way through my Whole30 and I've done a fantastic job and I'm very proud of taking it so seriously! I was grocery shopping and I picked up a pack of 5 cobs of corn that I thought would go great with my Whole30 ribs with Whole30 BBQ sauce that I was making. Well, I ate the corn over the course of three days without any thought. My honest to goodness perspective was corn is a veggie so I'm good! Then it hit me as I was eating my last ear of corn, wait, corn is obviously a grain and grains are off limits did it say corn was off limits in the book? Then I frantically thumbed through my book to find sure enough corn is a no no. This took the wind out of my and was very defeating... I didn't realize I made the mistake but I had. I have not had any slip ups accidental or non accidental aside from this. Is this ground for condemnation and restart? I had strategically planned my Whole30 for a specific time frame that did not coincide with any major events (the rest of my year will) and restarting will send me through a bachelor party where I more than likely will not be completely compliant with my diet (although attempting to eat as close to it as possible). I have found that my stomach is not sitting well with the corn... Mentally I have done everything I have been asked of for the Whole30, however this was a mere subconscious mistake. Will continuing on with my current 30 days be completely ruined because of this? Will the effect be defeated from this? I'm legitimately distraught over this. 

Thoughts and advice?

• Moderators

I'm about a third of the way through my Whole30 and I've done a fantastic job and I'm very proud of taking it so seriously! I was grocery shopping and I picked up a pack of 5 cobs of corn that I thought would go great with my Whole30 ribs with Whole30 BBQ sauce that I was making. Well, I ate the corn over the course of three days without any thought. My honest to goodness perspective was corn is a veggie so I'm good! Then it hit me as I was eating my last ear of corn, wait, corn is obviously a grain and grains are off limits did it say corn was off limits in the book? Then I frantically thumbed through my book to find sure enough corn is a no no. This took the wind out of my and was very defeating... I didn't realize I made the mistake but I had. I have not had any slip ups accidental or non accidental aside from this. Is this ground for condemnation and restart? I had strategically planned my Whole30 for a specific time frame that did not coincide with any major events (the rest of my year will) and restarting will send me through a bachelor party where I more than likely will not be completely compliant with my diet (although attempting to eat as close to it as possible). I have found that my stomach is not sitting well with the corn... Mentally I have done everything I have been asked of for the Whole30, however this was a mere subconscious mistake. Will continuing on with my current 30 days be completely ruined because of this? Will the effect be defeated from this? I'm legitimately distraught over this. 

Thoughts and advice?

We don't condem people here... what we do say tho is that your body doesn't know if you accidentally ingested the corn or intentionally ingested the corn...

Corn is, as you know, a pretty significant disruptor... you're having problems with it already... 

I see JMCBN has already posted the article and her thoughts... I agree... I would start over to get the best out of my commitment to the Whole30.

Thanks for the response. I would gladly start over, but like I said, I have a bachelor party after my end date... I was planning on a beer and a hotdog at a cubs game that I was extremely excited for as a bit of a celebration... 

Thanks for the response. I would gladly start over, but like I said, I have a bachelor party after my end date... I was planning on a beer and a hotdog at a cubs game that I was extremely excited for as a bit of a celebration... 

So you weren't planning on doing proper reintros? Cos the beer & the hotdog I'd imagine are gonna be a mish mash of a whole host of non compliant ingredients to be eating all in one go....

I wasn't going to follow the reintro persay. I was going to enjoy the bachelor party, then go back to the whole30 for a couple weeks and then follow the re-entry from the book. Add in one ingredient, go back to whole30 for a couple days. Add a different new ingredient back, go back to whole30 for a few days. etc. etc.

I'm fine with not indulging, as far as beer and hotdog, but It's going to be an all day event away from home in Chicago and I'm not going to have access to all my sole Whole30 ingredients for food specific to the program.

Again, I do not have any other period of 30 consecutive days without major events the remainder of the year... Bachelor Party/Weddings/Vacation/Major Holidays. I was excited to have these 30 days available to do it, now I've ruined it!

If you're waiting on someone to tell you that it will all be okay I'm sorry - I'm not going to be that person.

It states pretty clearly in the rules that corn is not allowed.

Corn is a HUGE gut disruptor. It completely floors me, and you're already seeing that you have issues with it yourself.

My best advice would be to go back to compliant meals until your scheduled day 31, enjoy the Bachelor party, then go back to compliant eating for as long as your schedule allows & then follow the standard reintro protocol.

Will you see clear results? I don't know. You really need the 30 days for your gut to be fully healed to get that clean slate.

BUT you'll still have made great efforts to improve your health, and when you DO get a clear 30 days you can come back for round 2.

It's not ruined! It's not a black/white as that. You've learned how you react to corn, you've spend time healing, and you've learned how to read labels and pay attention to what's in your food. You had an Oops. They happen. That doesn't mean you should throw the whole thing out the window though.

Were it me, to spend 30 days of healing then end it on beer and hot dog would be the ruining your Whole30! If you're fine with not indulging you can skip the beer and hot dog at this event and minimize the damage you'd do by eating so off plan. Stick to good foods as best you can and keep the Whole30 rolling if possible. You'll be "off Whole30" again if another slip happens, but at least minimize the damage. Even if your event causes a slip or you have an off-plan food, it can't be as bad as beer and hot dogs! 

Don't be so hard on yourself! Sounds like an honest mistake. But don't give up!

Corn does awful things to me too. Bloat, pain, ugh. 

JMCBN, I think that is very solid and understandable advice. I have decided to try my best to stay compliant throughout the entirety of the bachelor party to try and get my 30 days. It just might not be possible given locations and restaurants. I agree with you and your suggestion and I appreciate your responses! I've already realized, without the introduction phase, that corn doesn't get along with me...

LucieB, solid advice as well and great perspective. I think I was looking at the whole Cubs Wrigley experience as needing a beer and a hotdog haha as lame as that sounds. I can obviously choose to find something that would be closer to Whole30 (italian beef without a bun and pickles). I agree that there is a greater purpose for doing this and that is a health and lifestyle change and I am completely on board with that. I do want to be able to experience some food freedom every now and then, however, after the process is over. I wouldn't consider that resorting back to an unhealthy lifestyle, just something I would want every now and then.

I'm a simple wing girl, I just like Frank's Red Hot and ghee or olive oil, baked in the oven (I like em baked until they ooze a little gelatin).

As long as it's compliant, any recipe will do, but here's a whole bunch of inspiration for you:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/41698330146/whole30-day-28-chile-lime-chicken-wings

http://www.2catsandchloe.com/2015/01/whole30-approved-hot-wings.html

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/109558187838/whole30-day-30-magic-wings

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/01/31/ultimate-paleo-super-bowl-recipes/ - the recipes with a red asterix are *not* Whole30

http://whole30.com/2016/02/super-bowl-chili-party-whole30-style/

Archived