Did I just break a rule?

MrsKennel

I just made some pan fried okra with almond flour and some paleo shortening. I've attached the ingredients and nutrition. Did I just break a rule?

And while we're on this, I just found out my ranch that I made with coconut milk has a banned ingredient. I am going to pitch the current batch and remake with the new whole30 approved coconut milk but do I need to start over with these rule breaks?

I just finished dinner of day 3.

And the coconut milk has Sodium Metabisulphide (in the recipe there is only 2tbs of milk in the whole thing) 

But I will be remaking it with compliant ingredients, I live in Okinawa so I was purchasing what I could find before I started the whole30 and just kept on trucking without thinking.  :rolleyes: 

The ingredients in the shortening are fine - although you could use lard for the same thing and it would be much less processed than this product. I'm assuming you didn't actually make a pastry as such & just used it for coating along with the almond meal?

The sodium metabisulphide is not fine. Sulphites are kind of a big thing (& by that I don't mean a good thing!) - you might like to have a quick google, then have a read at the article I linked to above and let us know how you plan to proceed...

I used it as the oil to pan fry the okra in. 
And I've only used the ranch twice in the 3 days of the whole30, once on my salad and once to dip chicken in. 
I will do some research and see what I think. I should know better, this is my 4th whole30. 
If I was going to mess up to need a restart couldn't I have just gone off road and swypo the crap out of something?!? But no, I have to do something accidental. 

I'm gonna keep going on my whole30 because the ranch was an honest mistake and a minimal one at best. I appreciate the help with the ingredients and am hopeful that my whole30 becomes a whole change! I know that drinking isn't something I miss and after introducing dairy again, I'll remember why I cut it out to begin with! 
Thank you!

MrsKennel - I just clicked your blog link and see you're in Columbus. Just wanted to wave hi from Starkville!

Oh Geeeze!! I haven't updated that bad boy in a MINUTE. We are 2 moves from there (went to Oregon and now in Okinawa) 

But hi!!  :D

Archived