Need suggestions please

Hello,

I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old daughter. I've been battling thrush since she was 6 weeks old. I decided since medicine isn't working, to get rid of it, drastically changing my diet might. Since the Whole30 diet is basically cutting out all the foods that cause yeast to stick around, I chose that diet. I have also been battling gallbladder issues (which is actually how I found out I was pregnant this time- I tested when I was going in to make my surgery appt to have it removed). I can eat much more fat now that I'm not pregnant anymore, but can still get an attack if I eat too much.

My problem is eating enough throughout the day. This is only my second day, but I am very hungry, and don't stay full very long (am hungry an hour or two later). I certainly don't want my milk production to suffer, and I need to kick the yeast out of my system as well. I am having "yeast die off" symptoms today- flu like symptoms- so that isnt helping either.

This is my first time really doing a diet like this, and I dont need to loose weight (because I dropped so much from not eating much fat- I only gained 8lbs my whole pregnancy and my daughter was 6lbs 14oz when she was born). I sort of jumped into this diet after finally being fed up with the yeast problem and just bought a bunch of random stuff at the store. I need help with meal and snack ideas please that don't have too much fat, but can keep me sustained too. Also, this is my first time eating this "healthy" at every meal (I know), because now and in the past I feel nauseated when I don't eat things like pasta or breads. So, it has me not even wanting to eat much. Is that normal?

Sorry I am sort of rambling in this post, I just don't have the energy to edit it. Also, I read that some people drink coconut milk throughout the day. I bought several cans at the store the other day, but it is so thick I wouldn't be able to sip it... I'd have to chew it! Did I get this wrong thing?

Thank you for any help!!

• Moderators

You can eat to the lower end of the template for fat but you're going to end up hungry all the time.  Sometimes people with issues such as gallbladder do better to eat the same VOLUME of food in a day as three template meals but they split them up into smaller more manageable quantities. That's not to say that you snack/graze all day but if you need to divide up a template meal into two sittings, thats' fine.

If you're breastfeeding, you need to be eating more than the three meals a day so you really need to find a way to get the food/fat in there.

Not eating begets not being hungry, which begets not eating... your body downregulates hunger when you choose not to feed it... so you need to power through nausea and feed yourself.  

You didn't buy the wrong thing for coconut milk... the good stuff hardens in the fridge so you can either leave it out for a bit to soften, eat it with a spoon or blend it up with the liquid on the bottom of the can in a blender.

As Karen says above, if you can please list out two or three days of typical meals including portion size, specific foods eaten (what KIND of veggie, not just 'roasted veggies' and quantities of fat, then we can help you better troubleshoot.

To address the coconut milk issue that I totally didn't see...

That's the perfect Kind of coconut milk. You may find that you have to warm it up or blend it with (maybe without ok) water to get it to the point you can drink it. Coconuts are rich in healthy saturated fats and medium chain triglycerides that are super beneficial. If drinking it straight didn't really appeal to you, use it in place of cream in recipes or in your tea/coffee. It has a hint of sweetness that really complements southeast Asian dishes (like Thai curry... Mmmmmm!). Tinker around with it and within the guidelines and you may find a way to ingest it that you love.

(Please note, I'm not saying to use it in sweets... Just that it has a mild sweetness that I love. I don't love the texture of coconut but I love the flavor so coconut milk is perfect for me in practically every way)

Well, I tried to make chia seed pudding yesterday with chia seeds, coconut milk, cinnamon and bananas, but it didn't turn out well. So I ate an egg and a banana and a little Justin's almond butter and half an apple. For lunch both days I've had "chicken salad". I shred a chicken breast and mix with mayo, sour pickles, half an avocado, and grapes on a large bed of spinach. for a snack I've eaten a little more chicken with some snap peas. Dinner last night was a sauteed chicken breast topped with red bell peppers and onions, sauteed squash and zucchini in olive oil,  and a dry baked sweet potato. For an evening snack I did eat some almond butter on gf bread with banana slices (I know bread of all kinds is out but I needed something and that was all I could find easily).

Since I have a 3 month old (that is very colicky) and a 2 year old, meals and snacks need to be quick. I'm used to grabbing a yogurt topped with granola, cheese, turkey sandwiches, etc.

Thank y'all for the help!!

i'd suggest adding more fats when you can and try to follow the template as much as possible. So protein, veggies, and fats.

Taking into account the craziness of being a mom, especially a mom with a toddler and an infant, cook ahead meals are amazing, especially for breakfast. Try making a frittata/breakfast casserole/egg muffins to last you the week and then heat up for breakfast with some veggies. (Your breakfast seems really light on the protein, and it's pretty seed/nut heavy, which I think isn't advised) For veggies, maybe roast some for the week that you can grab and go (I love roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts for this. Sometimes I even do sweet potatoes, but not as much) for some people with gallbladder issues, raw veggies cause more issues than cooked.

The chicken salad looks delicious, but you do probably need more than a bed of lettuce/spinach for veggies.

Remember fat helps with satiety and roasting/sautéing barely puts fat in the veggies. Maybe make a ranch or dip with compliant mayo and herbs/spices to help get the fat into you at dinner.

Perhaps someone with more experience than me can provide further insights.

• Moderators

Great feedback Karen!

Shannonashleys - have you seen the meal template?  Have another look over it and try and make your meals to match.  I understand that you're busy with kids but really no one in general has gobs of time on their hands and we all have to find ways to prep and cook and make healthy choices. Bread of any kind is not allowed and completely starts your Whole30 over again.  If you need easy things for mini meals, olives, hard boiled eggs, pan fried eggs, leftover chicken, tuna and mayo, roasted potatoes, chili... a small portion of anything that you would/did eat that day. 

Your breakfast was a banana and an egg with almond butter?  Really look at the template again (linked below). That is not enough food for any adult human and especially not one who is keeping another human alive with her body.

We normally say no to chia pudding but if that's helping you get extra fat in then fine but eat it with a meal, not AS a meal.

Archived