Is it ok to have a protein heavy breakfast?

scm223

Protein heavy is fine, so long as you're also including the recommended 1-3 cups of veggies (3 being optimum) & a generous serving of fat - the idea being to follow the meal template at every meal.

Protein gives you the staying power to last the 4-5hrs till the next meal, fat provides energy, and veggies provide roughage/fibre & that nice full feeling.

Two eggs + beef isn't really protein heavy by the way.

Thank you! I have a hard time eating the full template amount for breakfast but I'm sure that will change. (Today is day 3 for me)  I usually have a mid-morning snack of fruit and veggies or nuts.

It will.

For now plate up a full template meal, eat from it what you can ensuring you get a little of each of the macros, then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able - this should negate the need for that morning snack. You really want that 4-5hr window between meals because that's when the magic happens - that's when the body will start tapping into available fat stores for fuel. If you're constantly topping up on fruit & nuts that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Stick with the template.

I don't eat 'eggs alone' kind of breakfasts.  There's always another protein on my plate with the vegetables and good fats and no snacking.   Fish, fowl, beef, pork or wildgame will take away the need for snacks.  A bone broth with full template meals kicks it UP a few notches. 

So I'm on day 10 with my first whole30 & I have a hard time w/the no snacking plan...most especially bc Im a nurse & work long 10hr shift with my break times mostly unpredictable. My habit bf whole30 was early breakfast bar on way to work at 630am followed up by something more substantial bet 9-10am (or whenever I could grab a bite) Usually a sausage, egg, cheese sandwich or yogurt. I'm trying to get breakfast in as a whole meal but sometimes still only have time to eat the quickest piece of what I brought & few hours later eat the rest based on the above statements I do need to really try to reach the 4-5hr window of not eating Hmmm? I'm trying again today..I had time to eat a full breakfast of sweet potatoe/applesauce mash, homemade turkey sausage patties (2) , & some strawberries. Any suggestions for me?

• Moderators

So I'm on day 10 with my first whole30 & I have a hard time w/the no snacking plan...most especially bc Im a nurse & work long 10hr shift with my break times mostly unpredictable. My habit bf whole30 was early breakfast bar on way to work at 630am followed up by something more substantial bet 9-10am (or whenever I could grab a bite) Usually a sausage, egg, cheese sandwich or yogurt. I'm trying to get breakfast in as a whole meal but sometimes still only have time to eat the quickest piece of what I brought & few hours later eat the rest based on the above statements I do need to really try to reach the 4-5hr window of not eating Hmmm? I'm trying again today..I had time to eat a full breakfast of sweet potatoe/applesauce mash, homemade turkey sausage patties (2) , & some strawberries. Any suggestions for me?

I'd work on eating a full meal at 6:30,  put off that 9-10 am break as long as you reasonably can and eat as close to a full meal then as you can -- if you need to break it up some, try to have some protein, some fat, and some vegetables or at least two of the three each time you eat.

I'm not sure how big your turkey sausage patties are, but I know some breakfast sausage patties are pretty small, you might want a third one, or throw in an egg or two with that. Also, don't forget to add fat, in addition to the oils you cook in.

I did it! No mid-morning hunger today. I added more veggies to breakfast, leftover roasted potatoes and spinach. Shannon, I'm a hairstylist and don't work regular hours either and it is hard to time my meals, hopefully next week will get easier. Good luck to you!

Archived