Non-alcoholic wine for COOKING (not drinking)

madness

I did the search and found the (obvious) answer that non-alcoholic wine is not acceptable for drinking. But I'm wondering about cooking. I didn't think I would be "one of those people" that asked seemingly silly questions in this forum, but here I am. :rolleyes:  I'm posting my meals in my log and would hate to find out that the community says I've screwed up on day 10 when I post my coq au vin...

My thoughts: Non-alcoholic wine is grape juice but contains many different polyphenols (or differing quantities) than the sweet grape varieties grown for juice. It also retains all the phenols developed in aging. So you have a different taste profile but it is still, essentially, juice. Which is an acceptable INGREDIENT for adding flavor, usual sweet, to dishes.

So for beef stew, my favorite recipe calls for 1 cup in a 6-8 serving batch. I didn't use it this last time because it was easier to just sub broth, but I see using non-alcoholic wine in this case as a compliant ingredient. Yes?

Ok, now coq au vin. It's an entire bottle of wine in a 4 serving batch. That's a main ingredient, not a minor component. I was just going to do it anyway (use the non-alcoholic that is) but now I'm having second thoughts. I've used non-alcoholic wine in the recipe before and it turned out great.

Do it? Or no? Coq au vin basically doesn't exist without wine so I'll have to drop the meal if this isn't compliant.

• Moderators

I would say no to the non alcoholic wine... even tho it passes legally as not being alcoholic, there still is alcohol in it... more than vanilla extract actually...

Keep subbing broth in your stew...

Coq au vin could be your Day 31 celebration meal?

Whaa! I haven't had any desire to try to convince myself that something was compliant when it truly wasn't until this meal. I didn't even really think about it until this morning. Booo...

I suppose I can try the recipe anyway, maybe with strong beef broth (got some good homemade stuff right now!) for a depth of flavor. Won't be coq au vin, but I bet it will be tasty. I've got chicken legs in my fridge that need acookin'! Coq sans vin, here I come!

• Moderators

Whaa! I haven't had any desire to try to convince myself that something was compliant when it truly wasn't until this meal. I didn't even really think about it until this morning. Booo...

I suppose I can try the recipe anyway, maybe with strong beef broth (got some good homemade stuff right now!) for a depth of flavor. Won't be coq au vin, but I bet it will be tasty. I've got chicken legs in my fridge that need acookin'! Coq sans vin, here I come!

Totally love your 'can do' attitude!

My mom's kind of a teetotaler...bordering on being a prohibitionist...and she bought me some non-alcoholic cooking wine, a couple varieties, a few years ago. Tried cooking with one. I think it was bolognese since I usually put a solid several glugs of a nice red in there. It was horrible. Wound up having to trash the whole thing. So sad. 

Keep on rockin' your Coq sans vin and get down with your bad self  ;)  ;)  :D

Archived